• Location: By the beach.
  • Join Date: May 8, 2012

biniBningPunkista

By the beach.

biniBningPunkista

By the beach.
Reply 1997
Oct 26, 2013
This is one of the dramas that really got to me. 1997 was a year where I was on my hype on boy bands as well. Reply 1997 brought me back to that. To the times where VHS was such a vital home gadget so as not to miss my favorite drama, cassette tapes were a fad and friendship were in full bloom.

Reply 1997 was a drama which conveyed a part of my past and that's why it probably hit me right on spot. This drama... I love, for so many reasons.

The story line was very much unique from all the drama's I have watched. It did have a full on Rom-Com taste in it (like all the usual Rom-Com Kdrama), but the funny... the funny never stops in every episode, even though I was already tearfully crying out because of a heart breaking scene or because of a heart warming moment; the comedy never stops. Cliches were still used but I should say the writers have done that in a very creative way. I like the fact that they have used a bunch of odd personalities and put them together in a kind of relationship that would bond them as friends for life, then add their family members into it... TADA! You get a really great story to tell. Since all of these characters are peculiar, even from a deep to shallow background of each person I never got tired of watching each one's side of the story. That's how they make the fun come out.

For the main characters, I couldn't really pick my favorite. Even though we have the "very main" characters within the story, I still couldn't really put them as my favorite. Maybe I would put bias on Yoon Yoon Jae because of his good looks, but other than that I still equally loved every character. I also personally think that their accents were cute, it was real and was not irritating (since they are all from Busan it would eventually seem natural, right?). Then there were the consistencies in their characters which I am so happy for, because not even one actor deviated from their role.

To pinpoint the specific characteristics of each cast, I liked: Shi-won's boisterous attitude, Yoon Jae's undying love and loyalty, Yoo Joong's inconsistencies, Joon Hee's secrets, Hak Chan's annoyingness, Sung Jae's eccentricity, Tae Woong's indifference to money/fame and lastly Shi-won's parents; her dad who bickers a lot and her mom who cooks mountain of food for some apparent reason.

Music wise, it added impact on the drama but it wasn't something that really got into my head for me to remember much.

This drama is re-watchable, very much... but a vital segment in the story makes this unappealing for a re-play and that is the mystery part. That actually perked my interest into finishing the drama in the first place - "the guess who and what happened to whom?" guessing game was one of the important thing in this drama. But once you are over that, this drama would not be as interesting as it was the first time. I re-watch this for the sole reason of feeling giddy over the love triangles and the petty arguments. Those scenes were still awesome even for the second time around.

Over all Reply 1997 made it to my Top 10 best drama's and I would definitely recommend this to everyone. But this drama would most suit those who had lived in the 90's, got addicted in boy bands and lived life with loyal friends.

Dream High
Jul 25, 2012
A musical drama in which I dared myself to watch to see if I could stomach in a couple of kids singing pop songs and dancing around some stage. To my surprise, it wasn’t the crappy show that I expected. The acting may have been a bit off with some of the characters which I presume is their first time to be casted in a drama, but still, the overall delivery and concept of this drama was far from what I anticipated. It was better and was really heartwarming.

The colors and cinematography all throughout was eye catching and the characters were as colorful in their own life story that it brought out the goodness of the series.

I have more thoughts about this drama and am definitely recommending this for those unbiased people who want to check out the pop-culture-industry of korea. Music wise, it was alright since I'm not much of a kpop fan BUT I love IU's rendition of Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles :)

Orange Marmalade
Oct 18, 2015
Upon checking the previous reviews and comments, I realized not a lot of people liked this drama and had almost the same complaint. I would also have to admit that I was the same. I had to put the drama on hold for a long time before resuming it. I guess the first few episodes were pretty much disappointing compared to the original storyline.
Do take note that this live action drama is VERY DIFFERENT FROM THE WEBTOON. If you are watching for that reason, beware and do not put your expectations too high.

If I would be rating this prior to the saguek part, it would probably have received a 5/10 for me. For the saguek period, I give it a 7/10. Post sageuk and after finishing the whole drama, I give it an 8/10 and here are my following reasons for the different ratings.

Pre-sageuk:
I felt that the drama was a bit draggy and had this vampire teenage angst going on, then not to forget that I have read the Webtoon version which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was pretty much hard not to compare, which I did throughout the episodes and had myself disappointed a lot of times. It might have been better if I haven't read the webtoon first prior to watching the drama, unfortunately... the drama came 1 month after I have read the whole thing. But anyway, the first few episodes for me was blah. The fact that I wasn't a fan of the lead guy did not help at all. The other cast members were pretty much new to me as well, except for the parents of the main characters who I think brought something in at the table with their pro-acting skills.

Sageuk:
I know a lot of people hated this part, but not me. I love sageuk and this was probably one of the reason why continued on with the show, despite the fact that this was not even part of the original webtoon story line. I'm glad though that they included this, because if not, the drama would have probably ended at 6-8 episodes. This part explained a lot of things about the vampire community, the history of their diet and the treaty between normal humans and vampires. It had the cute, the romance and the exact heart breaking scenes you need in a drama to keep you moving forward. It also told the backdrop about the fate of the main characters.

Post Sageuk:
Initially, I didn't feel like continuing on with the whole thing because I was already satisfied with the saguek part so I put this on hold for a few months, but I knew I had to finish this and so I did. There was this sort of dismal feeling on the first few minutes of episode 11, but the songs and bits of change in the story line made me push through. I guess the last 2 episodes were able to give closure to the whole story and I accepted it with a whole heart.

Other bits that made me like the drama:
Second Leads - I enjoyed the fact that the supporting characters had shifted in their attitude. The way the actors delivered it may not be perfect but they still definitely gave me the feels. Compared to the webtoon - the attitude change did happen and I'm really happy about that.

Music - it was cute, bubbly and left me with a good feeling. Seol Hyun and Lee Jong Hyun's voice were pretty good. In each of their solo songs, I was caught in a bit of trance. I'd prefer rock anytime, but having to listen to their music gave me a different feeling all over.

Overall, I liked the drama and how it changed my mind on rating it. I don't feel cheated at all that I watched the whole 12 episodes. I probably just needed a different perspective.

The Queen of SOP
Aug 18, 2013
This drama left me highly disappointed.

I was initially looking forward to it because Joe Chen was the main female lead but then the character was a berserk. There was no consistency or proper flow in her character's development as Lin Xiao Jie. The writers might have wanted to make her progress fast but they did it TOO fast there was nothing substantial in her newly reformed persona. As for Tang Jun, at least him being Tom and Tang Jun at the same time was a clear cut thing. And his fondness to Xiao Jie was obvious and unwavering giving us a solid main lead. Then there's Godfrey as Gao Zi. The man is like a prince, I swooned at first sight and I was already shipping for the second lead instead of the main one. His character was quite fickle though that's why I still liked Tom despite the huge difference in the hotness scale.

The story was subpar, the usual rich-guy-meets-poor-girl and it was all predictable I almost cried out of boredom because I was already telling myself what's about to happen. There were also scene executions in which made the story far fetched and circus-y already. There were unneeded plot lines which only made the story dragging and made the episodes longer. Over all it was tiring to watch. I only finished it because I was hooked with London's wonderful view along with Xiao Jie and Tang Jun's cutesy moment.

Oh... I also liked the soundtrack... but I'm still not recommending this as a must see drama. I would hate myself if you wasted precious drama time on this. But then again if you're a fan of the main leads... go ahead and knock yourself out with their cuteness.

One Million Yen Girl
Jun 9, 2012
It was much like an indie film, the usual for Aoi Yu's movies. Why does she always have to be casted into a role such as this? (Same goes to Aoi Miyazaki)

The film was a bit draggy, but a couple of indie film lovers would probably like this. The cinematography was quite nice for a low budgeted film but nevertheless the cast were big timers which was unexpected.

I loved Aoi's role here as Suzuko, she made the character much realistic. Her features would show a calm girl on the outside but could burst like a bubble any moment. The younger brother Satoru was a good supporting actor and made Suzuko's role much more stronger because of him.

The main character Suzuko, skipped from town to town, changing places as soon as she saves up 1 million yen, professing that she's really not finding herself but instead running away from circumstances that lead from one thing to another. In the end, love crept on to her and she had no way to shrug it off but basically, the story revolved around Suzuko skipping towns, meeting new people and her younger brother whom she left behind, trying to be strong against the bullies in his school.

There was only this thing that confused me in the end. Her dialogue at the ending sort of put my understanding for last 1/3 part of the film. I think the director or script writer intended that to confuse their viewers to make their own conclusions. Which I usually tend to hate because it means its one of those cliff hangers again.

Soundtrack wise, the ending was cute. Reminded me of Synesthezia's ending theme song which was just perfect. There wasn't much dialogue in it that would be very memorable, except for the one where the main character had a conversation with her brother and at the ending part where some sort of confusing revelation/not was given.

Over all the film give an impact but wasn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be.

I Give My First Love to You
Jun 9, 2012
As much as I love Inoue Mao and as much as I find Okada Masaki to be a cutie and a sweetheart… the film was… I guess I have to get over it.

I hated the ending. I can't believe that's how crappy they made the ending to be. This is a manga adaptation!!! The least they could do was follow the manga. I'm mad for the mangaka who didn't fight for her rights. The ending just ruined it for me.

They started the film with a couple of really cute kids whose acting was superb. I love that part were the young boy kissed the young girl so she would stop crying. (Those kids are so freaking adorable!) Then it shifts to the older version the kids, who actually grew up. Here comes in Junior high student Mayu (Mao) and Takuma (Masaki) up to the point they went to high school.

I would have to say, the cinematography was really beautiful and the sound track is pure joy to listen to though the movie was a bit draggy in some parts. The main cast were really good at their role and the story line is so great. Even the manga was quirky, funny and heavy all at the same time. Mao portrayed Mayu as a love-struck teenager who wouldn't let go of a promise made to her. Masaki was great at portraying a guy who is also in love but is afraid to love because he knew he was going to die eventually, *sigh* harsh reality for these two teenage kids.

As the story went on, I was getting too much engrossed because of everything. Even cried in some scenes… but the ending. Oh well. It is a beautifully made movie. But it shows you how much time you are wasting by being an idiot.

Oto-na-ri
Jun 9, 2012
A slow endearing Romantic Drama type of movie. Pretty much tells us how bad and good chances happen.

Music wise, there's not much to boast about since the music is more prominent before and after the movie but to make up to it, both lead characters sings through the duration of the film that I could say it's good enough as a sound track. The movie's motif on music is more on the sound of everyday surroundings because it is a vital element for the whole film.

The plot line is slow and yet everything is in it. Since I'm a sucker for good endings, this hits the spot. Okada Junichi is one hell of an actor if he wanted to be one. He's cute, sassy and has that great smile. While Kumiko Aso is a dead ringer look alike for Arakagai Yui! (That is, if you place the Camera farther away to keep her profile to not focus enough on her face. lolz) Then again that's not the sole reason why I like her. Her acting is pretty good and her voice, its so cute when she sings and hums to herself.

Over all the movie has lots to offer. What I liked most about the film was how they started the story from a simple coincidence to an awesome ending.

Prophecy
May 14, 2017
It's been a while since I've watched a Japanese movie themed with crime investigation and psychological battles but that doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten to enjoy the genre. What I specifically liked about this film even with its lack or rather non-existent action scenes was how the main character came into being. I marvel at the main lead being an antagonist and protagonist at the same time. Movies like this should be appreciated for the scriptwriter's wit, along with the actor's perfect role execution. Have I mentioned that the main actor Ikuta Toma who acted as Gates is one of my favorite Japanese actors? Well, it’s not that relevant but the guy certainly knows how to act all kinds of character, from a depressed artist to being a stage comedian, he does his roles extremely well. I'm not saying this because he is my bias, but because this is how his portfolio and credentials say so.

Now that being said, I’m going to dive into more details about the film without the spoilers.

The whole story line is about one unfortunate guy who tries to make a difference with the use of the World Wide Web and the perks of anonymity that comes with it. This guy remains anonymous because he wears a newspaper to cover his face while he stirs up the police, the government and most of all the netizens. The film will show some graphic and violent things done in the internet using live streaming and might be disturbing, but don’t let this get too much inside your head because this is not about the rated PG stuff, this is about something more, it is about a message being sent and interpreted by different people. Besides the icky stuff would only last for a couple of seconds in intermittent scenes. The film may seem slow and frustrating at times but the fact that you have to watch it until the end to appreciate whatever is currently happening, makes all 1 hour and 59 minutes of screen time worth it.

Music wise, it wasn’t as memorable to me since I was too engrossed with the story and what was happening for me to mind the background music much. Cinematography wise, there’s nothing much to be appreciated since most of the scenes took place in a room or being projected via the internet. Sub characters though are worth mentioning. I give my kudos to Toda Erika for being such a hard ass detective in this film even though she didn’t do much running or fighting, I still liked her. Heh. The fact that she’s still a tough nut in the middle of a male dominated environment, this did not deter her from doing her job. Then there are these other guys, the friends of the main character. I want to pinpoint my favorite among the three, but I can’t. I liked all guys equally because they had their own charm. Suzuki Ryohei as Kansai with his tall stocky looking body but with a heart of gold, while Arakawa Yoshiyoshi named Metabo is the fat bellied guy who seems too timid when it comes to authority figures but definitely can retaliate when needed and lastly Hamada Gaku as Nobita with his eye glasses and his dream to have girlfriend. I find that dream kind of cute and yet endearing making him the most vulnerable looking guy in the bunch. But overall, I think I liked each of them on the get go.

I recommend this film to those who would want to watch something with a more interesting story line.

The Man From Nowhere
Aug 12, 2016
Initially, I wanted to watch Ip Man rather than this movie, but then my male cousin was insisting on watching this film because he has already started it and kept talking about how awesome it was. I had no idea what I was getting myself into until I started watching it.

So here are the things I learned about "The Man from Nowhere":
It was a highly acclaimed film back in 2010.
Won Bin acted as the main character.
The young female actress was Kim Sae Ron.

These names are pretty much known in the Korean entertainment industry up to this day and I can’t believe I missed this film back then. I’ve seen several posters as a reference to this movie in different dramas which states that it was an epic accomplishment for any filmmaker.

But ‘nuff said about that.

What made me like this movie (aside from Won Bin) was how it was action packed and yet emotional. Doesn’t matter that the theme was similar to several old films i.e. Leon – The Professional, which starred Natalie Portman when she was still a young kid. It wasn’t exactly about the story line or the theme. It was more about the character execution of the actors. The young Kim Sae Ron as Jeong So Mi was such an endearing character for so many reasons. On the other hand, Won Bin as Ahjussi absorbed her quirkiness. This emotional exchange goes both ways though, as his character was such an eccentric and aloof person but despite that, So Mi was able to love him as he is, like that of a daughter, while Ahjussi loved her all the same as a father. Their screen time together was so palpable it clenched my heart to watch them all throughout the film.

Then there’s also those supporting characters acted by Kim Hee Won and Kim Sung Oh (oh how I freaking love this guy!!! I always love watching him act regardless if he’s a main character or a supporting one). These pair are the kind of people you would want to bury alive. I was gritting my teeth while watching them, they looked like a bunch of fools but they are both street smart and had evil souls. They work so well as the villains. I sooooo love hate them. Then, put in the thailander Wongtrakul Thanayong as Ramrowan in the mix, the antagonist circle is complete. The guy is such a charismatic assassin, I like him so much because his character is someone who is in for the fight and not exactly for the killing.

On the other aspects of the film, the cinematography and awesome action scenes was spot on and never felt redundant. The heart racing scenes weren’t overwhelming. They were shown with perfect timing which was one of the best things an action film can do. It doesn’t seem tiring to watch. Even though some of the scenes were visually disturbing, I still felt like asking for more because I was looking forward to justice at the end of it all.

For a film with a storyline that centralized about drugs, human trafficking and gangs… it seemed impossible to put in an emotional aspect in all of the chaos happening, but no. The Man from Nowhere is different because it was able to pull in the audience (like me!) in an emotional wreck. I also admire the transition of the main character from his past character to his present and then back again, it made him seem more... human. And then insert the back ground music, things couldn’t be more perfect.

One thing I try not to think too much about is associating Cha Tae Shik to the character of Robert McCall which Denzel Washington portrayed in the movie "Equalizer". Both characters were fearless and mind-blowing-badass that they are so freaking similar. I don’t want to talk too much about their similarities hence the spoiler. You must check both movies to see the resemblance of characters for yourself. I will probably re-watch this in the near future, but as of now, I will meditate in the memory of such an astounding film.

Highly recommending this to all action-buffs out there.

Osozaki no Himawari
Dec 8, 2015
What makes Osozaki no Himawari such a special drama is how it portrayed all these types of characters and slowly peeled off their facade to show the kind of person they really are... in a good way.

The story line is very simple, a guy named Jotaro came to a province as a temp worker and in this process he gets to learn and find more about himself then touch the lives of the people around him. The people he meets along the way has their own quirks, but upon watching the episode further, these people show some similarities specially in the way they thought about each other, which made it more interesting. One person envied the other for having what they don't have but at the same time, that same person is thinking of the exact same thing of the other.

The characters in this drama were portrayed so well that it left me deep impressions on each actor. I am already a fan of Ikuta Toma so it wasn't much of a surprise to see him back into a bubbly character such as Jotaro. Kiritani Kenta, I've seen this guy in the movie Solanin and Beck, he definitely has that gangster look and he can easily play that kind of character, but his character in this drama, Junichi - I would have to say that he definitely tried hard to portray a guy who can be really gentle and vulnerable despite his looks and he pulled it off brilliantly. Maki Yoko as Nikaido is one of the characters that really stuck in my head, not only is she pretty but her voice... it resonates in my ears and I love hearing her talk. I feel that she's really a good actress despite the fact that this is the first drama I've seen her in. Her chemistry with Toma was great and I really love the scenes in which they start their phone conversation like this even though they already know who's at the other end of the line:

Jotaro: Ore, ore. (It's me, me.)
Kahori: Ore, ore Tada re? (Who's me, me?)

I also like the message the drama is sending its viewers, there is no contentment until you've experienced something without regrets. Finding ones contentment and happiness depends on the individual, people all get to the point when they've lived their lives the same way for so long, think about the past and the choices they made then eventually regret those choices and resent the current situation they are in. Another thing that makes this drama more meaningful for me is that the age of the characters are basically the same as mine, so I could relate so well to it.

The OST was well incorporated to the drama while the opening song was really catchy and very much enjoyable to watch specially when the main characters lip sync along with the song. Because of that, I don't get tired of listening and watching the intro of this drama. I will also surely re-watch this drama as it has been marked as something dear to my heart.

Recommending it to those who are into a dramas that depicts life and reality, those who are at a cross road and for those who just want to watch something good, light and meaningful.

The Fallen Angel
Oct 18, 2015
I have initially put this movie on hold, since I wasn't really ready to handle a depressing film as per the initial summary I've read at Avistaz but I'm glad I finally got to watch it. The movie is mostly slow and has a really complex story line. Despite that, the portrayal of the actors was top of the line, it felt realistic and they have nailed each character with so much fervor it could actually affect the way you think of the movie.

Upon watching, I feel like the main character Yozo Oba has lived such a bleak existence. He had no sense of purpose and I felt bad for him as he trudged on with his life not knowing where to go, what exactly he wants to achieve or simply not knowing how to live in happiness. Near the end of the film though, there was a glimpse of a little fulfillment and joy in his desolate life, but it didn't actually last long. Things simply happen and life was being a bitch to him.

Music wise, it was melancholic and enough to make the film into what its tone should be but it's not something that has wowed me enough to remember it. I'm having second thoughts on re-watching it, probably I will in the far future if I wanted to re-analyze my own life if it has indeed become as depressing as Yozo Oba.

Overall, I would suggest that if someone would decide to check this movie out simply because Ikuta Toma is their bias, think again. It's not romantic, it's also devoid of anything funny because this film can sap the happiness out of you like it did for me and lastly it has a heavy atmosphere all throughout its run time. That said, I’m still recommending it because it happened in real life, it is a beautiful memoir and it has fantastic actors to back it up.

My Love Patzzi
Jun 11, 2012
Aired at around September 2003 I watched this in the title of “My Love Cindy” which I really don’t get. Why did they even change her name to Cindy when it’s easy to say Patzzi which is a very non-korean name?

My Love Pattzi or My Love Cindy was a Korean drama breakthrough for me. The drama was about a girl who was tomboyish, ferocious and a total klutz. Then like every cliche in dramas the girl falls in love, hard. She then sets her heart out on a chase to the guy she thinks is the man of her dreams yet she didn’t realize there’s that guy who’s been looking at the sidelines, wishing and wanting to capture her attention as well. Thus the love triangle and mishap takes place in this 10 episode drama series.

It was quirky, Jang nara was still young in this drama but it was fun to watch especially Kim Rae Won. This was the first drama I've seen him in and his acting caught my attention. The story line was fun and in a really fast paced, though the conclusion sort of disappointed me since it's an open-ended kind of finally.

Music wise, it was all cute but nothing really note worthy. All in all it was an OKAY drama to watch but it would be more worth it if you're a Jang Nara/Kim Rae Won fan like me.

My Darling is a Foreigner
Jun 9, 2012
As for the movie itself, I'd say it was sub-par on both Mao and Sherr's acting skills. I swear I am a big Inoue Mao fan, that's why I watched this but there are just some movies that actors can't carry for their name. Mao could have done better... that's how I felt while watching her here. If you compare her acting skills to Sherr, she's way-way ahead of his league. ~_~

Mao as Saori was a good thing, I couldn't say she nailed the role but she was really good in it. Being that clueless Japanese woman, it was quirky and funny. While Sherr, I seriously loved it when the guy smiles and his Japanese accent was not as slang as I thought it would be, listening to him speak the Japanese language felt nice. Sherr makes me want to have a Caucasian man for myself too!

The movie wasn't perfect, but over all it was a good watch and surely not a waste of time. The sound track on the last part was pure Joy. I always loved it when Aiko does sound tracks.

Queen In Hyun's Man
Feb 20, 2014
Love in different time lines? "Queen In Hyun's Man" says bring it on!!!

I like the fact that this drama had the setting of modern day and sageuk at the same time. It was such a good drama and the story line was very much my cup of tea. I love how it began and I love how it ended. I'm not going to dwell much into the story since I don't want to go spoiling people around... but what I would like to share regarding the drama is that it has a very unlikely ending. You rarely find this kind of ending in a time loop kind of drama. Maybe in a movie, yes... but not much in dramas. They usually end up weird and unsatisfying.

But this drama has deviated from the unsatisfying ending for me.

The characters where solid and the actors/actresses in it were really good in portraying them. The main actress was initially annoying but I did find her cute at some extent. Then there is the main actor from Joseon era who can skip time from present to future. He had this aristocratic aura around him and I find it weird that he was able to fit into the modern day time instead of freaking out. It was so logical of him. I usually ask myself why do I like such men from sageuk compared to the modern day? I think it's the hanbok or something. Heh.

As for the music, it wasn't something that grabbed my interest but it was able to convey the feelings on each characters emotion which was good enough for me. As for re-watch value, I'm not sure I would re-watch it due that the mystery was already over for me but I would definitely recommend it to people who are into time jumping themes and all those lovey-dovey shiznits. I'm sure this drama will hook them up.

Empress Ki
May 10, 2014
I have this habit of checking out drama's because of the cast and this drama did not disappoint me. Ha Ji Won's acting as usual, was flawless. I did have high hopes about the script/story during the initial episodes up to the middle part, but that left me disappointed in the end. The ending felt like a wreck. Why did they have to put an open-ended ending for the viewers?

It could have ended nicely when she finally became an empress because it was, after all the ultimate goal. What disappointed me was every 10th-15th episode the plot line changes and the story shifts its focus on something else aside from the previous problem on hand. That was really annoying.

I could have loved both kings - Yuan and Goryo alike but instead I fell in love with Taltal, Governor Bayan's right hand and nephew. Sometimes I day dream that he and Sunyang would actually end up together instead of the power driven-infused kings. Their tandem by the end of the drama was more in place than her link with the kings.

The music was timely, I couldn't ask for a better sound track for it. I have already re-watched several scenes from random episodes just because I liked the cinematography and the kick-ass fight scenes and archery of our heroine.

I would recommend this to watchers who are into saguek and all the palace/warlord/politics conspiracy, but let me warn you that the romance isn't the main focus here, it might even disappoint.