5 Things We Hate To See In A Drama!

5 THINGS WE HATE TO SEE IN A DRAMA

#5: WEAK FEMALE LEAD

No one wants to see a weak-willed female lead in a drama. Aside from the fact that these type of female leads are shown to be incompetent, they also act as doormats taking all kind of craps from people, from the main lead's bitchy ex and family members to the jerk male lead himself. A female lead who's always crying is annoying.

At first, they try to show them as naive, shy introverts. This is all fine and dandy, because those traits are present in people in real-life. Unfortunately, with advancement of each episode she becomes stupider and stupider. Which makes us lose interest in her since we can't fathom someone actually acting that way.

competent+strong+kdrama+female+leads+kdr  fasrer.png?w=535

#4: EVIL MOTHERS

The evil mothers that we encounter in dramaland would give Disney's evil stepmothers a run for their money. We get that in some twisted way they want the best for their children (maybe?), but the things they do will just make you hate them. Though their presence sometimes is necessary for plot development, it still makes our blood boil the second she appears on screen.

Plus trying to separate our OTPs. That's pretty much a crime.

tumblr_m9pn1laYfa1qj7wgmo1_1280.jpg  Eomeoni+kdrama+family+terms+kdrama+fight

#3: STATUE KISSES

Oh, how we despise the statue/frozen kisses. As if waiting for our OTPs to kiss for almost SIX WHOLE EPISODES isn't enough, when they do finally kiss, it's... well, unsatisfactory to say the least. They might as well show two mannequins kissing for all the chemistry we get. And they keep showing the clip for almost a hole minute, making it look like our screen is paused.

Although in new-ish dramas we are starting to get some real kissing, there are still some dramas that haven't moved with the times.

ENPM6_zps0f11666c.jpg  O4Q3Ony.png

tumblr_o9liehjMKi1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg   tumblr_o9zhf7CQBQ1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#2: SECOND LEAD SYNDROME

There's not a single drama viewer who hasn't experienced SLS. We have all gone through it and know how extremely painful it can be. Knowing that ship is never going to sail... sometimes we drop the whole drama because of it. And even if we do complete it, we're never satisfied by it.

tumblr_m7jlu86AhZ1qj7wgmo1_500.jpg  tumblr_n9l6yri5xf1qj7wgmo1_500.png

13686813_640264942789875_860877065_n.jpg          tumblr_nwp7zkapJy1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#1: TRAGIC ENDING

One thing every drama-fan wishes for is to their OTP to live happily ever after. So of course one thing we most dread is the sad, tragic, or even bittersweet ending in our drama. Sure it occurs less frequently, but when it does, there's no stopping the tears.

Although it's true that some dramas warrant the sad ending they get, it doesn't make it any less painful to watch. No matter how illogical it seems, every fan wants to see their OTP end up together.

5cb8e256c6a28da6627e576adf6850b1.jpg         31726bc2-1c5b-4fdf-91f5-287bb6f181ec.jpg          CITT16.7.gif

Which ones do you hate the most?

PS- I don't own the images, credit goes to the owners

Brianna 7 days ago

ALL OF THESE ARE SOOO TRUE!!

Confession: never suffered Second Lead Syndrome (well...yet)
    I've liked the second lead more than the main lead, and I've definitely felt for them but never shipped the second lead with the main female lead or anything like that
    For me, I feel like they're the second lead for a reason, we know 99% of the time, the main couple ends up together because they're the MAIN characters. We know they're never going to end up together so I never felt the need to ship the second with the main.
    Second leads with second leads I understand and can get behind, sometimes more than the leading couple but never with main and second :D

Mararta 6 days ago

Same for me, there were some second leads that I adored, even more so than the first lead, but I never shipped the scond lead with the female lead

ZaneAraki 6 days ago

the only time i shipped the second lead is on the drama Queen of Reversal because the main lead is an ahjussi and the second lead is Park Shi Hoo xD
      other than that, i never really had a problem with sls.

ilovemassu 8 days ago

second lead syndrome is one thing but when there's only a thin line to who's the lead & who's second lead, i HATE that the most.
    saw it in Jealousy Incarnate & backed out instantly. that's the most emotional draining tactic a writer can do

redtealeaf 8 days ago

i actually like statue kisses haha they're cute...

Alessa 8 days ago

As someone said before, I'd add the stupid and nonsensical excuses some writers use to keep the leads apart -only for 3 or 4 episodes- when they know (and we all know) they belong to each other: *because he/she aren't good enough *to protect her/him *for her/his family *for her/his work and so on... Until in the last 2 chapters they reunite. =/

Faa 8 days ago

What i hate the most is actually the second lead syndrome. Sometimes they;re just sooo much better than the main lead but yeah.. They destined to be just an option. *cry. Btw, i think Park Shin Hye is a good to be paired with LJS if we talk about the kissing scene. Okay. And i also think she's not bad actually ._.

Banada6 8 days ago - edited

I think weak female leads what i hate the most then main leads can't act or don't have chemistry and second lead syndrome makes my heart broken because i end up shipping every second lead crush:( :(

Rurzii 8 days ago

I've only had SLS once, and that was in Sassy Go Go. I wanted Ji Soo Oppa to get the girl. I can tolerate all of the above except for a weak female lead. Even though I hate tragic/unsatisfactory endings, I despise weak females more. I don't mind if she's shy or if she cries a couple of times but I just cannot withstand watching a drama where the girl is treated like a doormat/retard. The drama loses all of it's appeal to me.

Malu 9 days ago

This is one of the most entertaining articles I've read here! I agree on almost everything. What I most detest are the dumb and helpless female leads. Some of them are tolerable and even normal because there are all kinds of people in the world, but when they can't even dream for themselves, they are totally insufferable.

KAPP70 9 days ago - edited

I can honestly say I have never had Second Lead Syndrome. I've liked second leads but never to the point where I would want him to be with the lead female. The rest of the list I agree with.
    For the first time I've experienced Second Couple Syndrome. I'm watching Chinese Paladins 5 and the lead couple have zero chemistry. The second lead male has chemistry with both (I didn't want him to have chemistry with one of the ladies but it didn't turn out that way.) the other two women.

gwenp29 9 days ago

awww...unfortunately for me, I've had a lot of experience with SLS. it's so hard to choose sometimes. I just want both guys to be happy.

SayItAintSoJoe 9 days ago

haha yes

Gabby 9 days ago

I agree wholeheartedly with this article and I hate the weak female lead and the statue kisses the most among the five listed, most of all, when they keep calling the female lead (Playful Kiss) "stupid." :(

Akudie 9 days ago

I hate tragic endings the most!!! Like come on we watch dramas to have a good time, laugh, forget stupid real life! Not cry our eyes out! :(

Gardenia 9 days ago

True about Park Shin Hye I hope she puts more emotions in her kisses not only standing still like a statue wide eyed and terrified.

chante 9 days ago

Statue kiss, why do a close up of those type kisses. I rather see them just plant one on the forehead. I remember the fathers from Scent of a Woman totally unrealistic, characters like that i just press the fwd 80% of the time.

AnanyaS's most recent articles...