5 Things We Hate To See In A Drama!

5 THINGS WE HATE TO SEE IN A DRAMA

#5: WEAK FEMALE LEAD

No one wants to see a weak-willed female lead in a drama. Aside from the fact that these type of female leads are shown to be incompetent, they also act as doormats taking all kind of craps from people, from the main lead's bitchy ex and family members to the jerk male lead himself. A female lead who's always crying is annoying.

At first, they try to show them as naive, shy introverts. This is all fine and dandy, because those traits are present in people in real-life. Unfortunately, with advancement of each episode she becomes stupider and stupider. Which makes us lose interest in her since we can't fathom someone actually acting that way.

competent+strong+kdrama+female+leads+kdr  fasrer.png?w=535

#4: EVIL MOTHERS

The evil mothers that we encounter in dramaland would give Disney's evil stepmothers a run for their money. We get that in some twisted way they want the best for their children (maybe?), but the things they do will just make you hate them. Though their presence sometimes is necessary for plot development, it still makes our blood boil the second she appears on screen.

Plus trying to separate our OTPs. That's pretty much a crime.

tumblr_m9pn1laYfa1qj7wgmo1_1280.jpg  Eomeoni+kdrama+family+terms+kdrama+fight

#3: STATUE KISSES

Oh, how we despise the statue/frozen kisses. As if waiting for our OTPs to kiss for almost SIX WHOLE EPISODES isn't enough, when they do finally kiss, it's... well, unsatisfactory to say the least. They might as well show two mannequins kissing for all the chemistry we get. And they keep showing the clip for almost a hole minute, making it look like our screen is paused.

Although in new-ish dramas we are starting to get some real kissing, there are still some dramas that haven't moved with the times.

ENPM6_zps0f11666c.jpg  O4Q3Ony.png

tumblr_o9liehjMKi1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg   tumblr_o9zhf7CQBQ1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#2: SECOND LEAD SYNDROME

There's not a single drama viewer who hasn't experienced SLS. We have all gone through it and know how extremely painful it can be. Knowing that ship is never going to sail... sometimes we drop the whole drama because of it. And even if we do complete it, we're never satisfied by it.

tumblr_m7jlu86AhZ1qj7wgmo1_500.jpg  tumblr_n9l6yri5xf1qj7wgmo1_500.png

13686813_640264942789875_860877065_n.jpg          tumblr_nwp7zkapJy1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#1: TRAGIC ENDING

One thing every drama-fan wishes for is to their OTP to live happily ever after. So of course one thing we most dread is the sad, tragic, or even bittersweet ending in our drama. Sure it occurs less frequently, but when it does, there's no stopping the tears.

Although it's true that some dramas warrant the sad ending they get, it doesn't make it any less painful to watch. No matter how illogical it seems, every fan wants to see their OTP end up together.

5cb8e256c6a28da6627e576adf6850b1.jpg         31726bc2-1c5b-4fdf-91f5-287bb6f181ec.jpg          CITT16.7.gif

Which ones do you hate the most?

PS- I don't own the images, credit goes to the owners

carling5 Jan 12, 2017 - edited

I was OBSESSED with Playful Kiss because the female lead was so damn adorable. I honestly never thought of her character as weak. On the contrary, the girl was determined to get her man and she did. : ) Jan Di, the damsel constantly in distress in BOF? Now THAT'S a weak female character. My biggest pet peeve is amnesia. That drives me up the wall! Were it not for So Ji Sub, I would have dropped Master's Sun then and there. I was PISSED.

I really don't have much of an issue with the chaste, statue kisses. In the US, even network television has become so overtly sexual, but K-drama love stories are about ROMANCE. They make us "work" for that moment and when the couple finally touches lips, it's everything. While this kiss may not be "modern", it is certainly refreshing. It's part of what makes K-dramas special and unique. Long live chaste kisses and piggyback rides...LOL!

emylan Jan 12, 2017 - edited

Whenever i read or hear "second lead syndrome" I automatically think of Reply 88 T^T .. I believe I'll never get over it. But I don't hate tragic endings.. It should just be rational! I'd rather see a logical tragic ending than a cheesy happy ending; some dramas are unforgettable because of the tragic ending.

Carmi Jan 12, 2017 - edited

Yesssss so true! Number 1 is the worst, and my first drama I ever watched Cheese in the Trap was beautiful in the beginning, but ended up so disastrously. Crazy! Still one of my favorite dramas though

LPA 17 days ago

I love Asian dramas! I have watched many dramas before "Cheese in the Trap," and while I liked the actors, I really-really did not like that drama at all. You're right--in simple terms it was just a disaster! Sorry that had to be your first Kdrama. It's kind of like ruining your first kiss (ha)!

MeuDrama Jan 12, 2017

I can manage my feeling when I have second syndrome or the final is tragic.... but STATUE KISSES is the worse thing in a drama, and the most commun too... :(

rationalbeings Jan 12, 2017 - edited

No#5 irks me the most. I hated the kiss series because of that, they would have been so much more enjoyable if she had just a tiny amount of backbone or skill...in anything!! I loved Miss Korea because it was the opposite of that. Every single female character written in that show was strong and inspiring.
    Also all of PSH dramas....zero chemistry. Every.Single.Drama.

TeenMom Jan 12, 2017

BTW I love the images!! especially the talked-faster-heroines , the one with PSH (i didn't like all of her drama before doctors) and the last one (there aren't enough curse words in the world to satisfy me right now) LOL

TeenMom Jan 12, 2017

Weak Female Leads and Statue Kisses are the one who make me drop a drama.. i can still deal with the others cliches but I need a though heroine a real kiss to reeeeaaaally enjoy a drama

Bri Jan 11, 2017

ALL OF THESE ARE SOOO TRUE!!

PrettyBrown_Eyes Jan 10, 2017 - edited

Confession: never suffered Second Lead Syndrome (well...yet)
    I've liked the second lead more than the main lead, and I've definitely felt for them but never shipped the second lead with the main female lead or anything like that
    For me, I feel like they're the second lead for a reason, we know 99% of the time, the main couple ends up together because they're the MAIN characters. We know they're never going to end up together so I never felt the need to ship the second with the main.
    Second leads with second leads I understand and can get behind, sometimes more than the leading couple but never with main and second :D

Mararta Jan 12, 2017

Same for me, there were some second leads that I adored, even more so than the first lead, but I never shipped the scond lead with the female lead

ZaneAraki Jan 12, 2017

the only time i shipped the second lead is on the drama Queen of Reversal because the main lead is an ahjussi and the second lead is Park Shi Hoo xD
      other than that, i never really had a problem with sls.

ilovemassu Jan 10, 2017 - edited

second lead syndrome is one thing but when there's only a thin line to who's the lead & who's second lead, i HATE that the most.
    saw it in Jealousy Incarnate & backed out instantly. that's the most emotional draining tactic a writer can do

LPA 17 days ago

Everyone was in a triangle relationship in that one--from young to old! (:

redtealeaf Jan 10, 2017

i actually like statue kisses haha they're cute...

Alessa Jan 10, 2017

As someone said before, I'd add the stupid and nonsensical excuses some writers use to keep the leads apart -only for 3 or 4 episodes- when they know (and we all know) they belong to each other: *because he/she aren't good enough *to protect her/him *for her/his family *for her/his work and so on... Until in the last 2 chapters they reunite. =/

Faa Jan 10, 2017

What i hate the most is actually the second lead syndrome. Sometimes they;re just sooo much better than the main lead but yeah.. They destined to be just an option. *cry. Btw, i think Park Shin Hye is a good to be paired with LJS if we talk about the kissing scene. Okay. And i also think she's not bad actually ._.

Banada6 Jan 10, 2017 - edited

I think weak female leads what i hate the most then main leads can't act or don't have chemistry and second lead syndrome makes my heart broken because i end up shipping every second lead crush:( :(

Rurzii Jan 10, 2017 - edited

I've only had SLS once, and that was in Sassy Go Go. I wanted Ji Soo Oppa to get the girl. I can tolerate all of the above except for a weak female lead. Even though I hate tragic/unsatisfactory endings, I despise weak females more. I don't mind if she's shy or if she cries a couple of times but I just cannot withstand watching a drama where the girl is treated like a doormat/retard. The drama loses all of it's appeal to me.

LPA 17 days ago

I sooo agree with every one of your points!

AnanyaS's most recent articles...