5 Things We Hate To See In A Drama!

5 THINGS WE HATE TO SEE IN A DRAMA

#5: WEAK FEMALE LEAD

No one wants to see a weak-willed female lead in a drama. Aside from the fact that these type of female leads are shown to be incompetent, they also act as doormats taking all kind of craps from people, from the main lead's bitchy ex and family members to the jerk male lead himself. A female lead who's always crying is annoying.

At first, they try to show them as naive, shy introverts. This is all fine and dandy, because those traits are present in people in real-life. Unfortunately, with advancement of each episode she becomes stupider and stupider. Which makes us lose interest in her since we can't fathom someone actually acting that way.

competent+strong+kdrama+female+leads+kdr  fasrer.png?w=535

#4: EVIL MOTHERS

The evil mothers that we encounter in dramaland would give Disney's evil stepmothers a run for their money. We get that in some twisted way they want the best for their children (maybe?), but the things they do will just make you hate them. Though their presence sometimes is necessary for plot development, it still makes our blood boil the second she appears on screen.

Plus trying to separate our OTPs. That's pretty much a crime.

tumblr_m9pn1laYfa1qj7wgmo1_1280.jpg  Eomeoni+kdrama+family+terms+kdrama+fight

#3: STATUE KISSES

Oh, how we despise the statue/frozen kisses. As if waiting for our OTPs to kiss for almost SIX WHOLE EPISODES isn't enough, when they do finally kiss, it's... well, unsatisfactory to say the least. They might as well show two mannequins kissing for all the chemistry we get. And they keep showing the clip for almost a hole minute, making it look like our screen is paused.

Although in new-ish dramas we are starting to get some real kissing, there are still some dramas that haven't moved with the times.

ENPM6_zps0f11666c.jpg  O4Q3Ony.png

tumblr_o9liehjMKi1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg   tumblr_o9zhf7CQBQ1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#2: SECOND LEAD SYNDROME

There's not a single drama viewer who hasn't experienced SLS. We have all gone through it and know how extremely painful it can be. Knowing that ship is never going to sail... sometimes we drop the whole drama because of it. And even if we do complete it, we're never satisfied by it.

tumblr_m7jlu86AhZ1qj7wgmo1_500.jpg  tumblr_n9l6yri5xf1qj7wgmo1_500.png

13686813_640264942789875_860877065_n.jpg          tumblr_nwp7zkapJy1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#1: TRAGIC ENDING

One thing every drama-fan wishes for is to their OTP to live happily ever after. So of course one thing we most dread is the sad, tragic, or even bittersweet ending in our drama. Sure it occurs less frequently, but when it does, there's no stopping the tears.

Although it's true that some dramas warrant the sad ending they get, it doesn't make it any less painful to watch. No matter how illogical it seems, every fan wants to see their OTP end up together.

5cb8e256c6a28da6627e576adf6850b1.jpg         31726bc2-1c5b-4fdf-91f5-287bb6f181ec.jpg          CITT16.7.gif

Which ones do you hate the most?

PS- I don't own the images, credit goes to the owners

MrsChoeYeong 8 days ago - edited

Am i the only one who hasn't experienced SECOND LEAD SYNDROME

1004_blue 8 days ago

The only time I really truly have was Your Beautiful. Shin Woo was so much better than Tae Kyung imo

Surprise-Lobotomy 8 days ago

I haven't

Elisabetta 8 days ago - edited

It was You're beautiful for me too, but I didn't care that much for both first and second lead. It was Jeremy that broke me.

supertgirl 7 days ago

Never in my life have I experienced it, the main leads are main for a reason lol. The closest I came to it was Joo Jin Mo in empress ki but honestly I still counted him as the main lead (in my head coz I stopped at episode 34)

yuurei 8 days ago - edited

SPEAKING of flashbacks, the five minute flashbacks of things that happened earlier in the episode (or one episode ago) as if we all suddenly caught the kdrama amnesia cliché.

Archania 8 days ago

YESS!!! How could I forget that one :D

ricky 8 days ago

Yeah, good one. It feels like filler for the episode.

fiflydramalover 8 days ago - edited

Amnesia.

Oh and this one luckily seems to have died out, but there used to be this problem with kdramas where the lighting would change dramatically between scenes. Like it would be the middle of the day and then the next scene the middle of the night but barely any time would have passed. That used to bother me a lot.

bajanVIP 8 days ago - edited

Hate the truck of death, Misunderstandings (which could have been avoided by asking a question) and Memory loss

LuvK 8 days ago

You forgot a break up scene, or a separation of a time gap. Is a must in almost all Asian dramas. I hate those the most, after the stiff kiss.

rainruma 8 days ago - edited

I strongly agree w/ #3
    Better to fake a Kiss w/ camera angles (like in Thai lakorns) and let our imagination flow than to ruin it all w/ a frozen lip-touch ...

squeakyelle 8 days ago - edited

I think that all of these should have an asterisk next to them, we hate to see them badly written, but when there is amazing writing and acting I don't think any of these would bother me. Like for number one, I hate a doormat, but if it's written well and the character has a reason for being like that, and they change and you really get to see their development throughout the series, I like that.

rainruma 8 days ago - edited

I disagree with #1.... I don't mind tragic endings as long as they are befitting of the entire story arc .... It is not the end that matters, but my enjoyment of the story all along!

A "Sad ending" does NOT necessarily equal a "Bad Ending"!!!
    Feeling "Sad" for the hero or couple is not the same as feeling "Hopeless" or "Lack of Enjoyment"....

-- people object that tragic endings make them sad .... To me if a drama is hopeful about humanity, I don't leave feeling disheartened about my hero's death or that the main couple did not end up together... I will cry, but it does not lessen my enjoyment!
    Example: The classic movie Casablanca ... Not a spoiler to say the lovers don't have their HEA ... But I still get lots of enjoyment from the film.... I am glad they separated, it is befitting!

-- Shows that have an overall negative view of humanity can make me feel disheartened much more, even w/ a happy ending ....
    Example: Movie Oldboy .... I don't remember our hero's exact end, but he finally got his revenge .... I still left w/ a depressed mood at the sad state and disheartened view of humanity.

-- Happy Ending can still be a Bad ending if it does not fit ....
    Example: the only examples I can think of atm would be major spoilers... but u know, when a couple still end up together, even if it does not make sense w/ the rest of the story.... To me, the whole story was weak all along :P

P.S. Good article ... It is getting a lot of people talking on the feeds.

Ana 8 days ago

Omg! Thank you for writing this! I'm such a tragic ending lover and my friends judge me for it. Lol. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. <3

rainruma 8 days ago

The best most romantic love stories I've seen or read have tragic endings (all except for P&P).

sunah 8 days ago - edited

I'm pretty sure I have a lot since I've been a fan for years, but I forget until I see them again in a drama so here's my random 5:

5) Throwing an expensive phone in anger and/or pulling out the battery to stop people from calling you. (why?)

4) Leaving your phone at home and/or it runs out of battery (grrr!!) at the very moment you probably needed it the most in all the years you've had a phone. (again, why?)

3) Not having a password/lock on your phone and leaving it lying around for your nemesis to read/delete/send messages from your phone. (are you stupid?)

2) Running around the whole city (if not country) to look for someone when you can a) call them b) track their phone c) check in with people related to them first or d) simply wait somewhere they'll clearly end up sooner or later. (it's even worse when they run instead of using their brain and driving/taking a cab/whatever else. Not everyone is in immediate danger for you to run out without shoes/proper attire!

1) What's with catching pneumonia every time a character gets touched by water unintentionally? (Korea you need to up them immune systems!)

Archania 8 days ago

Omg, yes those things are all so true xD ... also: ordering food and drinks at restaurants and leaving without touching it - what a waste :(

sunah 7 days ago

Lmao! Yes I forgot this! If they are advertising the food, why isn't anyone eating!

HealerDoge 8 days ago

This made me laugh so bad Haha. For me, I think number 5 takes the cake. Nothing is more troublesome than a weak female lead. It's just too frustrating to watch it when they don't speak up. It makes me want to crawl through the screen and knock some sense into them! But I must say, 3, 2 and 1 makes my skin crawl as well. I just want everyone to be happy and not kiss like either of them are scared out of their minds!

sunah 8 days ago

I love how the same actress is in both memes for evil mothers. She's the queen~

Nor 8 days ago - edited

For me #1 is the romanticised abusive relationships.
    It's so repulsive to me, and I really think it should not be shown in series as younger viewers can be influenced by them and think it's actually romantic/cute/... if the male lead is manipulative and even physically violent towards the female lead. (I know, because my stupid younger self has been there.) If it's an abusive relationship, clearly show it's not alright and report the guy to the police. Thanks.

Archania 8 days ago

You are absolutely right on this.

Tenie 8 days ago

Exactly! I was missing something on that list and was this! (And romanticized abusive relationships are prone to end with a Second-lead syndrome, which drives me nuts because the second lead and the protagonist almost always engage in a healthy (or healthier, at least) relationship than the main one and I always end up asking why would someone give up on someone decent to be with someone who is abusive af?????) Thank you for this!

yuurei 8 days ago

This so much, Tenie. I feel like every time there's a super desirable second lead, and we ship them instead of main couple, it's probably because there are NO really good qualities about the leading male to make us understand the lead female's decision. It drives me absolutely insane.

Nor 8 days ago

@Tenie & yuurei: I couldn't agree more!

Ari 8 days ago - edited

I agree with all of these, especially the frozen or "dead fish" as i'd like to call it, kisses. Those are huge buzz kill and I hate it the most.

Also, the weak female leads are what i've started to notice a lot more while watching. Before I didn't mind as much but now it does make me cringe. I blame healer because after I finally watched it, I felt like Park Chae Young's character was very strong. Compared to Love in the Moonlight Kim Yoo Jung's character which I saw as weak (still loved the drama though).

Archania 8 days ago - edited

Well, I guess I am pretty lucky, since I don't care about romance in dramas, so that means no second-lead syndrome and no problems with statue kisses (nice word btw) for me :D

I guess, out of those, I hate weak female lead the most, because how often can a person get stepped on but still blame herself or just cry or not doing anything at all. That's too frustating!!!

Something that isn't on the list but totally bugs me --> when the villains don't get properly punished. They get away with everything and never face any real consequences. Of course this doesn't happen in all dramas, but in quite a few and I hate it. Also, when people always listen in on other peoples' conversation at just the right moment to overhear a crucial piece of information. It happens way too often in a single drama to be realistic.

Akaisora 8 days ago

I've found that dramas tend to make me really bloodthirsty... to the point where I just hope the villains would get shot in the face. xD But I like to think of it as therapy; letting my aggressions out when watching dramas reduces stress irl. :D

Archania 8 days ago - edited

yeah, I'm getting aggressive too, but I think it wouldn't be like this if the actors didn't do a great job - they can really make you hate a certain character :)

Akaisora 8 days ago

Haha, that's almost literally what I always say - that if an actor can make you truly hate a character, he/she must be awesome at their job. :D (My best example is Ji Chang Wook in Empress Ki - he's such a total cutiepie and an awesome actor... and I loathed his character with my very being. :D)

tattylovestofly 8 days ago - edited

I think I lose brain cells every time there's a weak female lead....
    Statue kisses normally end up ruining some of the chemistry the actors have, it also makes me feel like a mother who has walked in on their child making out. It just feels awkward for the viewer.
    But tbh I don't mine tragic endings. Not being funny or anything but I can get really disappointed over the 'miracle cure' after 16 episodes of the lead dying.... not everything is rainbows and sunshine, a bittersweet ending can be nicer :/ Js...

AnanyaS's most recent articles...