5 Things We Hate To See In A Drama!

5 THINGS WE HATE TO SEE IN A DRAMA

#5: WEAK FEMALE LEAD

No one wants to see a weak-willed female lead in a drama. Aside from the fact that these type of female leads are shown to be incompetent, they also act as doormats taking all kind of craps from people, from the main lead's bitchy ex and family members to the jerk male lead himself. A female lead who's always crying is annoying.

At first, they try to show them as naive, shy introverts. This is all fine and dandy, because those traits are present in people in real-life. Unfortunately, with advancement of each episode she becomes stupider and stupider. Which makes us lose interest in her since we can't fathom someone actually acting that way.

competent+strong+kdrama+female+leads+kdr  fasrer.png?w=535

#4: EVIL MOTHERS

The evil mothers that we encounter in dramaland would give Disney's evil stepmothers a run for their money. We get that in some twisted way they want the best for their children (maybe?), but the things they do will just make you hate them. Though their presence sometimes is necessary for plot development, it still makes our blood boil the second she appears on screen.

Plus trying to separate our OTPs. That's pretty much a crime.

tumblr_m9pn1laYfa1qj7wgmo1_1280.jpg  Eomeoni+kdrama+family+terms+kdrama+fight

#3: STATUE KISSES

Oh, how we despise the statue/frozen kisses. As if waiting for our OTPs to kiss for almost SIX WHOLE EPISODES isn't enough, when they do finally kiss, it's... well, unsatisfactory to say the least. They might as well show two mannequins kissing for all the chemistry we get. And they keep showing the clip for almost a hole minute, making it look like our screen is paused.

Although in new-ish dramas we are starting to get some real kissing, there are still some dramas that haven't moved with the times.

ENPM6_zps0f11666c.jpg  O4Q3Ony.png

tumblr_o9liehjMKi1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg   tumblr_o9zhf7CQBQ1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#2: SECOND LEAD SYNDROME

There's not a single drama viewer who hasn't experienced SLS. We have all gone through it and know how extremely painful it can be. Knowing that ship is never going to sail... sometimes we drop the whole drama because of it. And even if we do complete it, we're never satisfied by it.

tumblr_m7jlu86AhZ1qj7wgmo1_500.jpg  tumblr_n9l6yri5xf1qj7wgmo1_500.png

13686813_640264942789875_860877065_n.jpg          tumblr_nwp7zkapJy1u7ppjwo1_1280.jpg

#1: TRAGIC ENDING

One thing every drama-fan wishes for is to their OTP to live happily ever after. So of course one thing we most dread is the sad, tragic, or even bittersweet ending in our drama. Sure it occurs less frequently, but when it does, there's no stopping the tears.

Although it's true that some dramas warrant the sad ending they get, it doesn't make it any less painful to watch. No matter how illogical it seems, every fan wants to see their OTP end up together.

5cb8e256c6a28da6627e576adf6850b1.jpg         31726bc2-1c5b-4fdf-91f5-287bb6f181ec.jpg          CITT16.7.gif

Which ones do you hate the most?

PS- I don't own the images, credit goes to the owners

Mimo 8 days ago

love the list....i think i hate all of them but i hate 3 most...

Mitta 8 days ago

Great list and so on point. But as Purplenette pointed out, these are what make kdramas and why we watch and become addicted. They make us want to emotionally engage - whether to love or to hate them. But of all the above, I'm definitely not a fan of the weak, female lead. I want my female protagonist to have a backbone!

Ladybritaky 8 days ago - edited

''No one wants to see a weak-willed female lead in a drama.'' I read this type of comment in a l of reviews and to be honest, it always annoys me a bit because I desagree. I agree that ''a lot of people'' don't want to see this type of lead in a drama. I understand and respect those people's opinion. But it's incorrect to say that ''no one'' wants to see that. Because I personally don't mind it at all and I even enjoy it very often. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one. I doubt that many people agree with me but I also doubt that no one does.
    Personally, I like those type of characters because it's not realistic to have only ''strong'', ''fierce'', ''independent'' female lead. Not everyone is like that. No everyone is Katniss freaking Everdeen. Some people are way more like Bella Swan than Katniss. A lot of people are flawed and are overly emotional, emotionally dependent on people, naive and have other characteristics like these that would make unfit to be called ''a strong'' female lead. I mean, sometimes in life, you do ''take all kind of craps from people'' all the times. I'm not saying that it's right but some people actually are like that and take crap from everyone.
    Now I also love more ''strong'' characters. But more than anything, I love to see all kind of different female leads.

catladyboo 8 days ago

as you said, there's nothing wrong with liking such a character and there are certainly people out there who are, like you said, emotionally dependent, naive etc, and that's not the problem. i think the issue is that kdramas tell you that it;s okay to be this way and it's not. it's not okay to let yourself get walked on by other people all the time and just always be the one giving. kdramas need to(and these days they do because you see fewer female leads like this) acknowledge that such characteristics are flaws. but usually, they make it seem as if this kind of person is cute or very nice. i think a great example of a female lead who starts of this way and then comes to realize her flaw is the female lead in cheese in the trap. but that drama does a really great job in general of making it's characters acknowledge their flaws and work towards self-improvement i think. also you said not every character can be katniss everdeen, totally true. but you can have a character who's not necessarily a badass but still has enough self respect to stand up for themselves. c:

Akaisora 8 days ago

I gotta agree, I like all types of female leads. Otherwise anything is fine, it just bugs me when they're naive and self-sacrificing to the point of insanity. xD But otherwise, I can definitely enjoy watching a damsel-in-distress types of things.

emyrose1705 8 days ago - edited

My list:
    5. time jumps: because when there is a huge problem time jump is the solution for that problem;
    4. second leads that never give up: usually is the bitchy ex-girlfriend/ female second lead while the ex-boyfriends/male second leads are knights in shining armor who protect the female lead without caring for their hearts, boring after a while;
    3. the incurable disease: when out of the blue someone gets sick just to made the story more interesting;
    2. statue kiss: I call them fish kiss, but however you call them they are the worst after you waited so long just for something more than holding hands or the always cute piggyback ride;
    1. open ending: I HATE OPEN ENDING... I think it's a big joke that after I watch a drama for 2 months ( if I'm lucky and the drama has only 16 ep) the writers think is better to leave us with an open ending. I want to know how the story end... possibly a happy ending but even a sad ending is better than an open ending.

Of course this list is not enough to make me stop watching dramas.
    I can hate these things but I keep watching them because I love them :)

Charlott 8 days ago

YES on your point 5 and 4. Whenever I see that "[insert number] months/years later" I just get so annoyed. And those 2nd leads that won't every give up... At first it's sad but after a while it just gets so repetitive and I don't feel sorry for them anymore because the one that they love never actually expressed any romantic affection for them at all and might even have told that person on several occasions that they are not interested.

tattylovestofly 8 days ago

Omg I forgot about open endings! Just whyyyyyyyyy!?

arbios 8 days ago

recently there are a lot of strong female leads like Bok Joo,Shim Chung,the ladies from Age of Youth,Pyo Na Ri,Bok Shil and more. lol and i just hope we have more strong female leads this year too

KoriNeko18 8 days ago - edited

i love tragic endings if they're done well, because most dramas don't have them and most of them are poorly done, or cheesily made all happy

I really hate the clihes of there needing to be a second-lead and main lead. like, why can't it be ambiguous?

tattylovestofly 8 days ago

I like the dramas with a second lead who doesn't have a thing for her, he just wants her to happy in life :3

TroubleMcTrouble 8 days ago

I hate all these - but I did LOVE the last one with the gif of 'there aren't enough curse words in the world for me right now'.......that is ME...EVERY.SINGLE.TIME one of my hated scenarios happens. ESPECIALLY an open/tragic ending.

catladyboo 8 days ago

tbh i really liked cheese in the trap ending lol i thought it was great *guilty smile*

Juniko 8 days ago

Sometimes, I rewatch old drama, just for the clichés. #MyGirl

tomatipasta 8 days ago - edited

Hmm, my dislikes would be:
    1) bad acting (can ruin anything)
    2) the last third of almost any korean drama or last half of any taiwanese drama (this is usually the part when the couple has fallen in love, but everything including evil mothers and amnesia etc starts getting in their way)
    3) too simple-minded or kind-hearted female leads... just lame, can't seem to feel for them
    4) whiny second male leads (they tend to fall to easily and be too clingy)
    5) evil without motivation or any real reason characters (sometimes they exist, and it makes no sense as to why they do all the evil deeds they do)

Akaisora 8 days ago

Evil without motivation, that's a good one. I really enjoy ambiguous or even downright evil characters if they're acted well and their motivations or reasons for their behaviour or emotional unstability etc. are shown.

purplenette 8 days ago

I love all Asian cliches in dramas...it is the whole point of me watching them. Otherwise I would just watch USA television.

However, I do dislike weak female leads to a certain degree.
    I love bitchy mothers and mother-n-laws...nothing like my love to hate.
    Statue kisses suck.
    I rarely have second lead syndrome.
    The more tragic the ending the better. :-)

I agree with Akaisora about time skips or jumps...sometimes they can be really annoying.

Akaisora 8 days ago - edited

My personal dislikes, top 5:

5.) A woman chasing the man obsessively.
    4.) Crazy mothers.
    3.) Long time-skips.
    2.) B*tchy female side-characters.
    1.) AMNESIA.

Edit: oh, and a special mention goes to: SIDEWALKS/STREET CROSSINGS ARE A SIGN OF DEATH AND DOOM. (By now, I can pretty much predict if a character will get hit by a car, simply by the setting and/or camera techniques in the scene... xD)

KoriNeko18 8 days ago

oh your #5 yes! I hate when the girls are obsessed or even when the guys are orz

Oh my God you are SO right - this is so TRUE. The crazy mothers - I mean seriously, I AM a mother to a 19 year old daughter and I can ASSURE you I would NEVER, EVER do even ONE of the mental things they do to kids they say they love. I've also learnt one thing - as you point out so well - even if there's not a single car/bike/pedestrian (except for the main couple) for MILES crossing the street in ANY East Asian country means that you're liable to die or be horribly maimed by being hit/barged/jostled into the road if you're a lead character (especially a female lead). I mean HOW does that even happen? Do the cars/bikes/running pedestrians just TELEPORT to that location and suddenly all converge on our hapless hero or heroine?

However I have to say my personal best PET HATE of all these - and probably linked to SLS - is the woman who turns down and subsequently friend-zones the sweet natured, kind, considerate, thoughtful and loving Second Lead to remain with the bullying, rude, cold, unfeeling, narcissistic JERK Main Lead. I'm sorry but WHY.....what I mean is if....No, no....just WHY? WHO does that? Seriously WHO? Especially on the odd occasion the Second Lead musters up the courage (and the equipment) to escape the Friend Zone; she just wrangles him BACK in there! It's usually at that point the last gif above is basically me......."there aren't enough curse words in the world for me right now".......*face palms* I am now going to lie down in a nicely darkened room with a big bar of chocolate and cry over the insanity!. ;)

Sapir 8 days ago

So true for every single catagory. Loved it!

AnanyaS's most recent articles...