Cash On Delivery (2023)

Synopsis: The pandemic forces ex-pub owner Lin Juncong into working for a loan shark and pretending to be a food delivery rider. During the process, he runs into his ex, befriends his co-workers, survives the ups and downs of the pandemic with everyone and becomes a "delivery hero". What will become of Juncong, the bonds he made and the success he achieved when his secret identity is exposed? (Source: MediaCorp) (Trailer)

• Native Title: 送餐英雄
  • Episodes: 10
  • Aired: 29 May - 9 Jun 2023
  • Duration: 45 minutes
  • Content Rating: PG (Parental Guidance; Suitable for all but parents should guide their young)
  • Genres: Life, Family
  • Cast: Richie Koh, He Ying Ying, Cavin Soh, Jernelle Oh, Jin Yinji, Chen Tianwen, Pan Ling Ling, Peter Yu, JJ Neo, Das DD, Xuan Ong
  • Where to watch: MeWatch

Watched this as it was airing on TV and just realised this only has 10 episodes and will air the final episode on TV tomorrow. It has been a good watch for me, seeing what the Singapore Government did and the struggles of the people, especially the food delivery riders and some touches on other frontline workers such as the nurse and safety ambassadors during the Covid outbreak. Richie Koh, the newly crowned Best Actor at the recent Star Awards 2023 transformed flawlessly into a spirited pub-owner, while Jernelle Oh touched hearts with her commendable portrayal as a delivery person with disability.

(P/S: The full 10 episodes are already available on MediaCorp streaming platform MeWatch. Just binged the last episode and yes, it is an easy 10-episode binge for this weekend for anyone!)

SHERO (2023)

Synopsis: Zhang Yinchen and Zhang Yinxi are sisters who are 5 years apart. After Yinxi is attacked and goes missing overseas, Yinchen takes over Yinxi's all-female bodyguard company SHERO. Together with Yue Ruixiang, the CEO of ship-building company RSB, Yinchen investigates the truth behind Yinxi's disappearance. As they get closer to the truth, it seems like the mastermind is someone amongst them...(Source: MediaCorp) (Trailer)

• Native Title: SHERO
  • Episodes: 20
  • Aired: 12 Jun - 7 Jul 2023
  • Content Rating: PG (Parental Guidance; Suitable for all but parents should guide their young)
  • Genres: Mystery, Action
  • Cast: Joanne Peh, Romeo Tan, Carrie Wong, Nick Teo, Tay Ying, Aileen Tan, Rayson Tan, Brandon Wong, Priscelia Chan, Brian Ng, Cheryl Chou, Daryl-Ann, Grace Teo
  • Where to watch: MeWatch, YouTube

Totally missed watching and updating this while it was airing with a busy work schedule. So can't comment on the drama itself, but got to say the drama title is pretty edgy, combining SHE and HERO. This drama have some scenes shot in the Australian capital of Canberra. From the trailer, it appears to have quite a fair bit of fight scenes. Can give this a try if you are into mystery and action genres.

Wow, this is great, thanks for compiling this! I agree that Singapore should be a country added to MDL. I have already watched a handful of these and personally loved “Your World in Mine”. Also one that I thought was good (and I’m sure it’s on your list to add here) is “Your Star Bride” (过江新娘) - love the CP of Xu Bin and Chantalle and also the OST from this was fire!

F4luv89:

Wow, this is great, thanks for compiling this! I agree that Singapore should be a country added to MDL. I have already watched a handful of these and personally loved “Your World in Mine”. Also one that I thought was good (and I’m sure it’s on your list to add here) is “Your Star Bride” (过江新娘) - love the CP of Xu Bin and Chantalle and also the OST from this was fire!

Thank you! Just some small efforts to raise some awareness of Singaporean dramas. Yes, haven't got round to include My Star Bride, for which I prior saw a MDL article on a Chinese actors adaptation.. You have just given me the push to do it right away! :)

Do feel free to copy the format and help populate the list of Singaporean dramas you have watched, and I will add on to the drama index for quick links to the drama summary posts.

Thanks for sharing these! I've yet to explore SG dramas, I kind of think it's the next country to be added haha

My Star Bride (2021)

Synopsis: Mei Fangcao leaves her small village in Vietnam to come to Singapore to earn a living and at the same time looks for her long-lost sister Fangni. Fate crosses her path with that of a once successful but arrogant lawyer, Zhong Shijie. Shijie met with an accident and is now disabled, Fangcao convinces him to take her in as his “bride” to care for him. Her kindness and determination brings Shijie out of his despair, while the latter helped her fulfil her dying mother’s wish of reuniting with Fangni. (Source: MediaCorp) (Trailer)

• Native Title: 过江新娘
  • Aired: 28 Jan - 26 Feb 2021
  • Genres: Romance, Comedy
  • Cast: Chantalle Ng, Xu Bin, Edwin Goh, Gini Chang, Desmond Ng, Cynthia Koh, Rayson Tan, Zhu Hou Ren, Lin Mei Jiao, Zheng Ge Ping, Aileen Tan, Cheryl Chou, Jernelle Oh, Daryl-Ann, Vanessa Ho, Brandon Wong
  • Related Content: My Star Bride - Hi, Mai Phương Thảo (Singaporean sequel, Telemovie)
  • MDL Article: If My Star Bride was a C-Drama by cassiopeiastars
  • Awards and Accolades:
    • Asian Academy Creative Awards National 2021
      • Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Cynthia Koh (Won)
    • New York Festivals TV & Film Awards 2022
      • Craft: Program – Best Original Music/Lyrics
      • Craft: Program – Best Performance by an Actress: Chantalle Ng (Finalist)
    • Seoul Webfest 2022
      • Best drama (Nominated)
      • Best screenplay (Nominated)
      • Best actress: Chantalle Ng (Nominated)
    • Star Awards 2022 (local awards)
      • Best Drama Serial (Won)
      • Best Theme Song - Revise (Won)
      • Best Supporting Actress: Lin Meijiao (Won)
      • Favourite Male Show Stealer: Xu Bin (Won)
      • Favourite Female Show Stealer: Chantalle Ng (Won)
      • Favourite CP: Xu Bin and Chantalle Ng (Won)
      • Best Actor - Xu Bin (Nominated)
      • Best Actress - Chantalle Ng (Nominated)
      • Best Supporting Actor: Zhu Houren (Nominated)
      • Best Supporting Actress: Cynthia Koh (Nominated)

If you are a recent watcher of Singaporean dramas, this drama is likely the very first Singaporean drama you have watched. First aired in primetime slot in Singapore in January 2021, this romcom drama won the hearts of many local viewers with its many endearing characters, especially the two leads - the very simple, pure, kind and determined Vietnamese village girl, who melted the heart of the dashing ML who was once a successful and arrogant lawyer, but crippled in an accident. A touching story with romance intertwined with family ties and friendships, brought to life by amazing cast performance, especially the FL who did plenty of homework to deliver decent Vietnamese accent for her role. 

It was the most-watched Mediacorp programme of the year,* and has gone on to won numerous awards locally and overseas. In China, My Star Bride topped the list of foreign dramas available on major streaming site Youku, just within three days of its release on the platform.*

The drama was so successful that a telemovie sequel "My Star Bride - Hi, Mai Phương Thảo" (过江新娘 - 你好,梅芳草) was filmed and aired a year later on 1 February 2022.

Did you know there was also an MDL article "If My Star Bride was a C-Drama" based on this drama?

The main theme song <<温习>>"Revise" is also a lovely song that is easy to sing-along as well. Watch the mv here on YouTube.

* source: wikipedia

Kais:

Thanks for sharing these! I've yet to explore SG dramas, I kind of think it's the next country to be added haha

If you wanna give SG dramas a try, do check out My Star Bride (2021) and Your World in Mine (2022). These are the recent favourites of mine as well. Both dramas should also be available on Netflix, besides MeWatch and YouTube.

What a lovely idea! I've watched a few Singaporean dramas and loved most of them, really liked the unique flavor! Here are the reviews I had written in my feeds back then for those I liked:

Tiles War

https://mydramalist.com/profile/pash/feeds/Bynn2hE

I'm Madam

https://mydramalist.com/profile/pash/feeds/1AVEPcR

A Selfie's Tale

https://mydramalist.com/profile/pash/feeds/ByYmjcE

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Ghost 

https://mydramalist.com/profile/pash/feeds/kPEgJFJ

Meet the MP

https://mydramalist.com/profile/pash/feeds/0lQoAcN

Chapalang

https://mydramalist.com/profile/pash/feeds/qRJPOCp

Oh woah, thanks for sharing your reviews of SG dramas watched! What SG dramas have you seen in 2023?

I have been super busy lately to update this site. Trying to catch up with the updates before the year ends!

The Sky Is Still Blue (2023)

Synopsis: Junlin, daughter of a CEO of a tech firm wins her father's support and rallies her friends to set up HTB to help bankrupts to start anew. As they overcome obstacles in their way and help others, they also mature and find the true meaning of life. (Source: MediaCorp) (Trailer)

• Native Title: 从零开始
  • Aired: 10 Jul - 4 Aug 2023
  • Genres: Family, Life
  • Cast: Ferlyn Wong, James Seah, Zong Zijie, Sheryl Ang, Darren Lim, Chen Li Ping, Desmond Ng, Jernelle Oh

True to Singaporean dramas that almost always educate, this drama seeks to deliver the true meaning of life through the lives of the leads and the bankrupt folks they help. The native title's literal translation is starting from zero, so expect stories of bankrupt folks starting their lives with nothing, and eventually living "richer" (as in more meaningful) lives.

All That Glitters (2023)

Synopsis: On a peaceful morning, a man trespasses a bungalow and ties up a woman, her son and the helper. He shoots dead the owner of the house, a businessman named He Jian Zhi, and runs off with all the cash and jewelry. The police soon identified the murderer and put out an alert for Liu Mu Sen, nicknamed Liu Mu, and his accomplice Huang Jin Tiao.

This is a story of three friends Liu Mu, Jin Tiao and Jian Zhi, who dwell in the underbelly of society and are driven to crime and eventually destruction as they try to rise above their fate. But what turned the friends into foes with the eventual murder of Jian Zhi by his supposed “brothers”? As Liu Mu and Jin Tiao go the run, the secrets and truths begin to unravel…… (Source: MediaCorp) (Trailer)

• Native Title: 金色大道
  • Episodes: 30
  • Aired: 18 Sep - 27 Oct 2023
  • Content Rating: PG13 (Parental Guidance13; Suitable for persons aged 13 and above but parental guidance is advised for children below 13.)
  • Genres: Mystery, Drama, Friendship
  • Cast: Desmond Tan, Ayden Sng, Jeremy Chan, Chantalle Ng, Hong Ling, He Ying Ying, Pan Ling Ling, Zhang Ze Tong, Chen Yixin, Gavin Teo, Tyler Ten, Guo Liang, Li Yinzhu, Hugo Goh, Edwin Goh

This is a series not to be missed if you enjoy series with actions, angsts, and drama. Filmed partly in Malaysia (Alor Setar) and Thailand (Hat Yai), It tells how pursuits of material gains and missteps in lives lead to vicious cycle that eventually ruin lives. If you enjoyed this series, do watch The Golden Path (黄金路) (2007), also written by Ang Eng Tee 洪荣狄. I have rewatched The Golden Path last year and totally binging it for its engaging story, rivalry and conflicts of the leads.

Till The End (2023)

Synopsis: Lin Huiqi can see spirits, but has always resisted anything related to death. The passing of her funeral director mother, Kehua, made her take over the business of "A Phase of Life". In a world where the living and spirits coexist, Huiqi, Pengyou, Kehua, Zhiyin and Haoming get a deeper understanding of life. Death is the end of life for the dead, but the beginning of another life for the living. (Source: MediaCorp) (Trailer)

• Native Title: 陪你到最后
  • Aired: 30 Oct - 24 Nov 2023
  • Content Rating: PG (Parental Guidance: Suitable for most but parents should guide their young)
  • Genres: Supernatural, Romantic comedy, Drama
  • Cast: Boon Hui Lu, Richie Koh, Romeo Tan, Kym Ng, Zhu Hou Ren, Priscelia Chan, Bonnie Loo, Rayson Tan

A light-hearted series that can be emotional at times as it deals with deaths. It also offers a glimpse of the funeral business. Another Singaporean drama that featured the funeral business is New Beginnings (红白囍事) (2010), which depicts the conflicts and eventual understanding of two families, one managing the funeral business and the other managing the wedding business. Though dealing with the deceaseds, these are quite different from K-drama Move To Heaven, as these deals with arranging funerals while Move To Heaven is on packing the stuffs of the deceaseds.

TiTouDao: Dawn of a New Stage (2023)

Synopsis: In this second season of TiTouDao, the story starts during mid-1969 when Ah Chiam leaves her original troupe (Sin Sai Hong) and agrees to marry Hock. Banished by her troupe followed by her sudden wedding cancellation, Ah Chiam is lost and aimless in life. While searching for a new purpose, Ah Chiam is soon recruited by a new wayang troupe led by the mysterious leader, Suan Jiah, and is inspired to rebuild her wayang career again. Along the way, she finds other individuals who are on a similar journey to bring new life and energy into dying arts. Iffah, an actress who finds a new calling to continue her father’s Bangsawan legacy. And Vijay, a filmmaker, who wants to bring new change to the early Singapore film scene. (Source: MediaCorp) (Trailer)

• Native Title: 剃头刀-星光再现
  • Episodes: 8
  • Aired: 11 Dec - 20 Dec 2023
  • Content Rating: PG (Parental Guidance: Suitable for most but parents should guide their young)
  • Genres: Biography, History, Life
  • Cast: Koe Yeet, Chen Li Ping, Joel Choo, Sofia Dendroff, Shrey Bhargava, Chen Yi Xin, Natalie Chua, Jason Goldwin Chang, Carla D, Noah Yap, Amy J Cheng, Lina Ng

This series continues from TiTouDao (2020), which portrays the true life story of wayang (street opera) performer Madam Oon Ah Chiam -  A celebrated wayang star who has to take on multiple hardships and challenges in life in order to realise her dreams and find her place in the world. Started as a stage play in 1994, the stage script was adapted into a drama series in 2020. This epic biography also parallels pivotal events in Singapore’s history to showcase how Singaporean lives have been transformed over the course of over 50 years. TiTouDao Season 1 was awarded Best Production Design/Art Direction at 2021 New York Festivals TV & Film Awards and the lead actress Koe Yeet was awarded Best Newcomer Actress at Asia Contents Awards 2021. Don't miss this if you have watched Season 1 or are into the history and transformation of Singapore in the 1940s-1990s!

Reference: Wikipedia

My One And Only (2023)

Synopsis: The owner of My One and Only, Ma Limin, aspires to become a real estate developer with her son Hao Renpin, offering one-stop services for property purchase and renovation with her husband Hao Haojian and interior designer Wan Defu, who run How Luck Renovation. Their interactions with their clients reveal stories about different types of families. (Source: MediaCorp) (Trailer)

• Native Title: 只此一家
  • Episodes: 130
  • Aired: 27 Jul 2023 - 25 Jan 2024 
  • Duration: 23 minutes
  • Genres: Drama, Family, Life
  • Cast: Zoe Tay, Brandon Wong, Shawn Thia, Ya Hui, Elvin Ng, Zhai Siming, Fang Rong, Yao Wen Long, Xiang Yun, Tay Ying, Shaun Chen, Zhang Yao Dong

This is the latest of long form series (comprising 130 episodes of 23 minutes per episode) offered by MediaCorp. Not many such long form series are produced but occasionally, there will be one such long form light hearted series that offer a glimpse of the current lives of Singaporeans. Unfortunately, my work schedule does not allow me to catch this series which airs weekdays, 1930H. If you have watched this series, feel free to provide your thoughts on this series on this forum!

SG Dramas:

Oh woah, thanks for sharing your reviews of SG dramas watched! What SG dramas have you seen in 2023?

I have been super busy lately to update this site. Trying to catch up with the updates before the year ends!

Hi and thanks a lot both for the updates and for the friendship! ^_____-

I have been focusing solely on J-dramas lately, I do need to pick up some Chinese and Singaporean ones next, as I've actually been longing for both! Of those you reviewed now, "Till the End" seems like the one that's most up my alley! Thanks again for the heads up! ^___-