So glad you enjoyed it, hehe :) I love how the videos are set up and you can "order" something. Maybe you could try ordering something vegan. As for the dashi thing, I just soaked a bunch of different seaweeds in water for a couple hours to give it that marine flavor.
that might work. not sure what is available here besides nori i'll have to look around
Does anyone know of any baked Japanese foods?
Oh my gahd...Japanese food fooooooddd!!! My favorites are sushi, sashimi, udon, tonkatsu, daifuku, mochi, ramen, somen noodles, takoyaki, onigiri, manjyu, anpan...and the list goes on forever!

And Skye N Rain...manjyu isn't really baked but its steamed...and anpan is like a bread with anko. Both of these can be found in Asian markets...usually in the bakery session.
Anpan = http://0.tqn.com/d/japanesefood/1/0/Q/1/anpan.jpg
Manjyu = http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7_c21lvVMoI/R5L2kHBYPaI/AAAAAAAACjE/5AW852D84-g/s320/Marukyo-Japanese-manjyu1.jpg
i have such an urge to make some sushi.
thinking about how to replicate my favourite rolls that i order at the restaurant lol.
it's hard to make sushi like you see at a restaurant. when you watch they just do it so quickly, but it's actually so difficult lol. Sashimi would be easier cuz you wouldn't have to roll it or anything, but i'm not sure what kind of vegan sashimi there would be.
it's fun to make maki though :)
There's no vegan sashimi since sashimi is basically thinly sliced fish.
gramnigagan wrote: it's hard to make sushi like you see at a restaurant. when you watch they just do it so quickly, but it's actually so difficult lol. Sashimi would be easier cuz you wouldn't have to roll it or anything, but i'm not sure what kind of vegan sashimi there would be.

I tried making sushi once. My mom scolded me for all the rice that fell to the floor x.x Onigiri is hard to make too... the triangle shaped one xD It ended up being a circle in the end :/

wrote: it's fun to make maki though :)

Fun, but hard in a way xD

wrote: There's no vegan sashimi since sashimi is basically thinly sliced fish.

Yes xD When I was young, my mom always said that it was raw fish to prevent me from eating it. But I tried it anyway, I ended up liking it xD
I can make a descent onigiri and border line fail sushi XDDD. And since my family is Japanese I have always grown up eating these types of things...but really all you need to be careful is where it came from and how it was handled.
dany23 wrote: I can make a descent onigiri and border line fail sushi XDDD. And since my family is Japanese I have always grown up eating these types of things...but really all you need to be careful is where it came from and how it was handled.

My father is Japanese and he only knows how to make Melon Pan :/ Sometimes, I just use cookie cutters for the onigiri to be in the right shape xD Thanks to my mom, who was a chef once in a restaurant in Japan, she passed down her old experimental good-tasting recipe's to me and we eat Japanese food every weekends because it's a habit already xD

I fail every time, lol xD But yes, you just have to be careful, determined and reaaally hungry to make your food right xD At least that's how I do it :/
dany23 wrote: I can make a descent onigiri and border line fail sushi XDDD. And since my family is Japanese I have always grown up eating these types of things...but really all you need to be careful is where it came from and how it was handled.

I'm the same with the onigiri. I can make a cute little triangle now, but only barely, lol. I'm a total fail at sushi, like aya, rice just goes everywhere and i end up thinking "why don't i just put all of this in a bowl instead" lol. Like you say, quality raw fish is yummy, but I'm kinda afraid of it now because of this show called "Monsters Inside Me" on Animal Planet. Fear of contracting some strange parasite hasn't stopped me from eating it though, haha.

Link to Monsters Inside Me website: http://animal.discovery.com/invertebrates/monsters-inside-me/parasites/
If I am not mistaken in Japanese shops you can find these molds to make onigiri. I have some at home from when I was little and tried to make them XDDD but like my mom says...cooking Japanese food is essentially an art style XDD
peachdolls wrote: I'm the same with the onigiri. I can make a cute little triangle now, but only barely, lol. I'm a total fail at sushi, like aya, rice just goes everywhere and i end up thinking "why don't i just put all of this in a bowl instead" lol. Like you say, quality raw fish is yummy, but I'm kinda afraid of it now because of this show called "Monsters Inside Me" on Animal Planet. Fear of contracting some strange parasite hasn't stopped me from eating it though, haha.

Link to Monsters Inside Me website: http://animal.discovery.com/invertebrates/monsters-inside-me/parasites/

As long as it's Saltwater fish, It's safe xD Freshwater fish can contain some parasites so, Freshwater = no no xD

I've watched that on Animal Planet before :/ It made me shiver D:

wrote: If I am not mistaken in Japanese shops you can find these molds to make onigiri. I have some at home from when I was little and tried to make them XDDD but like my mom says...cooking Japanese food is essentially an art style XDD

Presentation is the best way to increase your appetite xD
myloveSeoul wrote: like my mom says...cooking Japanese food is essentially an art style XDD

It totally is! I want to learn how to make those gorgeous bento lunches, but I don't think I'm quite ready to tackle that project yet....and i'm not sure if i want to make the food or just get a bunch of cute bento accessories, lol.