Try: 'UVERworld' (Band) 'Tommy Heavenly6' (Singer) 'Kimi ni negai wo' (Song name by Miyavi)
I second Tommy Heavenly6. Tomoko Kawase is a good singer/songwriter.
Can't really go wrong with X Japan, they used to dress funny, but they're not a Visual Kei band

Kurenai is they're most popular song, you can probably start from here, but I absolutely recommend that you give the full live Art of Life a listen, totally worth it.

Dir en Grey are pretty good, very diverse band. Give the album Withering Death a listen

If you're into Final Fantasy you should probably try The Black Mages, but chances are you already know of them

You can try Amano Tsukiko. She sings the ending theme of the Fatal Frame games, if anyone knows them

Also, Stereo Pony are pretty good.
If you want more recommendations, just ask away :)
If OP wants clear, light, rock vocals, I will also want to recommend Kouji Wada, Joe Inoue, and Aikawa Nanase(more punk on her R.U.O.K album)
mogwaid wrote: I would recommend my favorite japanese rock bands one ok rock, the novembers and girugamesh

so agree!! one ok rock is awesome!! i've downloaded their mvs and~~ scream!! haha. totally totally awesome band!!

Acid Black Cherry?
Not sure if anyone has said it but you should try COUNTRY YARD and ANGRY FROG REBIRTH

I know mostly japanese indie rockbands:
The SALOVERS
THE NOVEMBERS
ART-SCHOOL
andymori
fox loco phantom
The Mirraz
flumpool
Straightener
Veni Vidi Vicious
KYUUSONEKOKAMI
Haku
OWARIKARA
X Japan
Versailles
D'espairsRay
Moi Dix Mois
Concerto Moon

and Female fronted Rock/Metal bands

Yousei Teikoku
Asriel
Babymetal
Anna Tsuchiya
SiM (punk ska metal !)
hide
DOES
Nothing s carved in stone 
UverWORLD
X-Japan
Maximum the hormone(pop punk metal xD)
Scandal
Boom boom satellites (electro rock)
The oral cigarettes...
must try groups posted before don't know them all !!thanks
I like Radwimps. 
I love mostly old-school VK-bands like X-Japan, Baiser, Lareine, Laputa, Raphael, Phantasmagoria or Janne da Arc. 

My first story
Spyair
one ok rock
Silent siren
Babymetal
alice nine
Scandal