@mochachen.

I updated his age to late 20's only because I've seen a lot of different ages posted regarding his age, and since I haven't read the book, nor do I believe they have outright stated the ages for either the FL or the ML in the drama. I want to play it safe.

There are a lot of ageist out there. I've seen them in almost every drama where there is 10 or more years of age difference. But both actors are well above the legal age and are good actors. I image actors are in their profession because they want to play a variety of roles, different from themselves. I don't care about the real age because I expect the actor to play the characters' age.

I know the comments you are referring to regarding the age gap. I think viewers being outraged about the practices in the past era are fine. The issue is blaming the drama when they are trying to be historically accurate, is applying the outrage at the wrong target.

Those viewers should be saying it's was horrible how back then people had harems and married their children so young. Its terrible women had so few rights and so on. 

Perhaps people think that a show about these topics might be romanticising harems, or child brides. I think if you are watching the drama and move beyond the surface of nice sets, and pretty clothes, you can see how painful and difficult these situations are. The drama is showing us a lot of examples of how women of the past had it really tough. How difficulty day to day life is. That even a wife of a Marquis couldn't ensure the safety of herself or her son. That a concubine was a terrible status. That survival in this era, required a cool head, and a lot of patience. 

Also watching a story about the practices of the past does not mean viewers are condoning those acts. If I watch a murder mystery, I don't actually want to murder anyone. I just like watching the drama unfold.

One things I haven't said is I don't think we should whitewash the past. People used to do a lot of terrible things to one another. Values and morality has been ever evolving, The things we value now where not the things they valued back then. Feminism, equal rights, even human rights are modern values.  I think showing how unjust it was back then allows us to protect what we have now.

My empathy goes to those viewers who cannot comprehend their ‘idols’ in such a drama. They became fans (a word originating from fan-atics), and enthusiasts because they are used to seeing their idols in a particular ideal ‘Prince Charming/Cinderella’ setting with a little variation. It takes a certain level of maturity to be able to rise above and separate entertainment which is undertaken simply to stimulate the ardor from historical education and reality.

The idols themselves also have them as a large fan base due to these actors/actresses almost fairytale past drama roles as Prince Charming/Cinderella which was further accentuated by their good looks. Invariably, such fans are naturally repulsed and uncomprehending when their idols go against the ideal fairytale image they carry. Such realistic roles as this, naturally make the fans un-enthusiastic and very critical.

This is why romantic dramas sell far more than historical documentaries. Reality is sometimes too jarring for a relaxing evening’s entertainment and the average fan which constitute the greatest majority cannot rise above the repulsion or comprehend the reason for their idols being embroiled in such past acts. Sadly, they sometimes transfer their disgust and lack of comprehension from the role character on to the behavior they expect of their idol.

With tongue in cheek, I wonder, if perhaps, such historical dramas like ‘The Sword and the Brocade’ were performed by literally unknown artists, if the fan outrage will also be less… :=))

@LoraD I wouldn't call those shallow people "fans" - they're stuck in their one like and can't accept nor comprehend that their idol wouldn't want to be stuck in one thing forever but branch out and test their talents in other avenues and in the end - mature along with their career which is perfectly normal

@funnypeopleswim 

I totally understand those constructive critiques and thoughts. It's nice someone is thinking under the surface of these type of dramas.  But, I don't want to retrospect too much in that aspect. I prefer to just enjoy the plot, the pretty clothes and the acting.  I've had enough of these in post sec haha. 

mochachen:

@funnypeopleswim 

I totally understand those constructive critiques and thoughts. It's nice someone is thinking under the surface of these type of dramas.  But, I don't want to retrospect too much in that aspect. I prefer to just enjoy the plot, the pretty clothes and the acting.  I've had enough of these in post sec haha. 

For sure it's all entertainment in the end. 

My comments were for those feeling disgust or outrage because of historical plot or the age difference between the actors.

Thank you so much for sharing the historical context!  I think it is important to make historical productions as accurate as possible so we can truly understand where we come from.  To be honest, that is why I prefer fantasy genre so much more (like Novoland, DuoLou, etc.) because then you don't have to worry about correct historical representation and can just enjoy the story.  ;P

And to be fair to those living in polygamous cultures, men in monogamous cultures during these same eras did not keep themselves solely to their legal wives.  If I'm not wrong, at least the polygamy allowed for a mistress to have some sort of standing in the family and for her children to be taken care of?  Not condoning, just providing something to think about...

@ funnypeopleswim  off topic but that Oh My in the title reminded me of "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my"

Bowties are cool:

@ funnypeopleswim  off topic but that Oh My in the title reminded me of "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my"

It does, doesn't it :) I must have been channelling that subliminally.

DeDe:

Thank you for posting this because the comment sections is just flooded with how many people find it unpleasant that our ML have an harem. Like you mentioned as much as I love idol historical drama and the love for one person I also like realistic historical drama. This drama is different from story of Minglan so I hope people would stop comparing the dramas. I like how they show how awkward it was for the FL and ML on their wedding night and how our FL is unsure what to do. Some viewers forget that our FL is young. When she married our ML she’s only 16. I thought it was realistic how our FL didn’t know how to take off our ML clothes. I find it interesting how our ML never loved his wives. In fact I wonder if his two kids came about because of his mom telling him that lineage is important. 

Well I think the ML did try to like/love his wives but when he went to visited them, the way they acted he just didn’t like and couldn’t get attracted to them 

- I think in this drama, the male lead has few children because: 1) He's often away at war. 2) He's not keen on any of the women, the scenes of him trying to visit them one by one and talk to them only to be driven out by his dislike of them was funny. 3) There's something nefarious going on in that household. The first main wife was poisoned, the quiet concubine miscarried, his sister-in-law's son died at a  young age. Maybe someone is scheming against the children/pregnancies. 4) I think in novels and dramas, the male and female leads have fewer children than the average at that time - it makes for a nicer romance novel. I often read that the main couple have like 2-4 kids, but you never read about, they had 15 children and lived happily ever after...

I enjoy historical c-dramas, but some things I didn't know until I started reading english translated historical web novels (likely a mashup from different novels):

- Wives are masters, concubines are slaves. The main wife (the legitimate wife) has a different wedding protocol (sometimes very, very complex procedure, from betrothal gifts to exchanging birth numbers etc.), comes in the main door, gets to wear certain colours, and her own biological children are the legitimate "di" children and are treated differently, she is the legal mother of ALL the children, helps appoint new concubines, etc.  Concubines are technically slaves, and can be bought and sold and given away like chattel. Concubines unceremoniously come in the side/back door, wear different wedding clothes (like in Blooms at Ruyi Pavilion, when she can't wear a phoenix crown b/c she's a concubine), etc. Technically, a wife can punish and even sell away her husband's concubines. (Classic example is after the Emperor dies, the new Empress Dowager gets rid of his old favourite concubines)

- Because of polygamy, instead of Lord and Lady Smith, you'd have instead Lord Smith, A-Shi, B-Shi, C-Shi, D-Shi - in other words, to tell the women apart, they'd be referred to by their maiden names. In some novels, the main wife would be Madam Smith (like Madam Xu and Madam Luo in this drama), but sometimes the main wife would also be referred to as Madam A, or A-Shi. Concubines would be referred to by their maiden family names.

- Children get their status from their parents. If everyone has the same father, then their status is dependent on their mother. Same with the imperial princes. If your mother is the Empress, your status is higher than if your mother was a palace maid.

- Di children are more precious, they are the legitimate bloodline and get their parents' backing. Inheritance law is involved, too.  Di-born daughters were expected to marry as men as main wives, to continue their legitimate bloodline. Di-born daughters would be taught more, socialize with other di-born noble children, and learn to manage a household and accounts.

- The children of concubines are illegitimate "shu" children, and have to address the main wife as "mother", and their own concubine mother as concubine-mother. Shu-born daughters were usually married as concubines to men of higher status, or married off as main wives to shu-born men of lower status. 

- That's why it's such a scandal that the di-born daughter of Duke whatever in the drama, decides to marry the male lead as his concubine. All of her future children will be shu-born, of the illegitimate line. Her children will have to call another woman "mother".

- Slaves are cheap. People can be born into slavery, captured or indentured (sell themselves) into slavery, or sentenced to slavery as punishment by the government. Servants are usually slaves, I think - although, maybe that's just the way they refer to themselves, as "this slave...". Slaves can be beaten, punished to death, sold to traffickers, sold to brothels, etc. A master can destroy the slave contract and set them free. 

- Girls are considered adults around age 15 (depends on the era), and are usually engaged before and married after that age. Noble girls stay "in the boudoir" to keep their chastity/reputation. If their reputation is sullied, it's either death or shotgun marriage. If a noble girl is considered "sullied"/"fallen", the other girls in her family will also have their reputation/marriages suffer, and nobody may even want to marry them, cutting off their families' future alliances.

- Boys reach the age of majority a few years later, like 18 (again, depends on the era). If the family is wealthy, the boys would get bed servants (tongfang) soon after puberty. I think this is what happened to the quiet concubine in this drama, she used to be the Old Madam's maid, and was sent to be the ML's concubine.

- The patriarch would be in charge of the outer courtyard (the part of the house the leases with the rest of the world), but the matriarch would be in charge of the inner courtyard (family matters). Wives, concubines, would be chosen and brought in by the matriarch. (Of course, you also have the stories where the men bring home concubines that they got outside.)

- In this drama, the male lead is the younger son, and his father and two older brothers have died. He has to listen to his mother. Filial piety is super important. Officials can lose their positions if they're not filial. He's also away at war often, so his mother has even more power/control at home.

- After marriage, concubines almost never visit their own maiden families outside, while the main wife usually visits her family a few days after the wedding.

-  After marriage, the women still have to be super careful to stay at home and not be outside at night in case their reputation suffers. If they are unchaste/reputation sullied, they can be discarded, concubines sold away. (This is why Concubine Qiao schemed against our FL, to get rid of her).

- After marriage, men could continue to get new concubines, bed servants, etc. 

- When a woman marries in, she brings along her dowry. The dowry is her property, and is not to be spent by the husband. It's supposed to be used by the wife for her own purposes, and when her own children grow up, the dowry goes to her own children. So a man who spends his wife's dowry is looked down upon. So it's a big deal when the FL in the drama take out her own dowry to buy rice to help her husband's family. I like how the ML knew all about it and compensated her.

- When marrying in, a main wife may bring in "dowry maids". The idea is that these are her maids, she owns their life-death contract, and if the main wife is pregnant, she can send her dowry maids to the husband's bed to serve him. They become concubines, and they are on the main wife's side, and are controlled by the main wife because she has their slave contract. If the main wife does not do this, then during her pregnancy, a different concubine may serve the husband, obtain favour, and become her rival. 

- Maids are all young. Once they reach a certain age, they are released from service to marry, return home, continue as older female servants (momo/mama), etc. For palace maids, they are released later, in their twenties.

- Marriages were usually not love matches.  Marriages were arranged for status/economics/alliances. If you consider that boys and girls are kept separate after age 7, and marry after 15,  they may not have the judgment to choose good arranged marriages,  so their families arrange the marriages for them. Also, marriage requires a bride price and dowry, not to mention other financial considerations, which involves the family assets, so another reason for families to arrange their kids'  marriages.

@calamariexpert 

Great points. Thank you for putting in all that details.

I didn't know about the naming conventions. And didn't realise the ML was a younger son. But he's so keen on duty and fidelity that he would naturally be respectful towards his mom. Does anyone know if she is actual mom, or the former Main Wife? 

Ooopppsss….. I deleted my last post by mistake. :-(

As I was saying to @calamariexpert, I doff my hat to you for your beautiful rendition on how it was in ancient China. Sadly, such practice prevalent then was also worldwide, and variants still continue to exist in many cultures elsewhere till today. It can be very unsettling looking at such practices through the lens of today'a modern woman. Thank you @calamariexpert for that insight.

With the world’s population at almost 7.7 billion, there will naturally be differences in appreciating anything. For example, I come from a part of the world where the pronunciation of the name Hua Hua (FL in “A Girl Like Me”) means the fruit “coconut.” And so for the many times the ML whispered Hua Hua with suppressed passion, I could not help but dissolve into giggles for the unintended visual. To me, he was emoting to a coconut. Regardless, it was a beautiful drama with good looking actors and I enjoyed it.

And the same goes for “The Sword and The Brocade.” It brings to the fore how far we have come as women, from chattels to almost being at par with men. Which may be one of the reason why many love BL dramas and the dynamics in their relationship. From the very beginning neither is the weaker sex struggling for acceptance or equality. Both ML relate always as gender equals.

It will be refreshing to watch a fantasy drama where the gender roles are switched and the women have harems full of men scheming and competing for their attention. Will it pass censorship??

There's actually a manhua (webcomic "No Doubt In Us") turned c-drama ("The Trust") that is about a body switch between a  scholarly Emperor and his unloved military Empress. I read the webcomic, and it's hilarious because the scholarly Emperor has to match wits with all the conniving concubines (that he thought were all gentle flowers, LOL), and the military Empress can finally lead the nation's troops in war and beat up enemies. It's a cute gender switch, and I hope the c-drama will also be good.

Webcomic "No Doubt In Us": http://www.webcomicsapp.com/reader.html?mangaId=5a2deffe5bf9ca3b607e8bbf

C-Drama "The Trust", https://mydramalist.com/64007-no-doubt-in-us

There are webnovels with FL and harems of men competing for their attention (polyandry), but yeah, unlikely to pass censorship.

Thanks for the informative breakdown. I understand the whole concubine thing but it just sets up so much scheming, manipulations, power struggles in the household. It's like the reality shows where a group of people are thrown together and each one needs to form alliances in order to survive. I know that ShiYi was 15 when she first was summoned to the Luo's household and also when she met Xu Ling Yi. So if I'm not mistaken, she was around 16  or 17 when she finally married him...still a baby compared to the much older General Xu. She needed all her smarts to survive in Xu household and still stay her sweet self. You can see Xu Ling Yi was so tired of the women in his house and their constant bickering. It's sad that for the slightest indescretion, your reputation is destroyed or you have to marry.