blabla100:
To me it's a clear cut and I really don't believe TH tried to be vague on this one at all. Add to that the crystal ball and its description and we have the whole picture. 

I personally agree with your interpretation of why Xiao Yao sent the crystal ball. It was a confession, a plea, and an ultimatum. My approach to analyzing the novel is similar to yours—I agree that to properly interpret intent, we can't just take at face value the most conservative interpretation of what is literally written. To use your words, that would be missing the forest for the trees. We need to analyze actions in the context of the numerous clues that Tong Hua liberally spoon-feeds us. The introduction to the book told us that the proper way to read the novel is by interpreting the "snakes in grass, lines in dust" clues scattered throughout the novel. Tong Hua makes plentiful use of the "grass snake, dust line" writing technique throughout the novel, which contains a treasure trove of metaphors, shadow characters, and parallel situations to provide structural clues, foreshadowing, and reveal character intent.

Some of these clues are difficult for us to pick up since we're reading a translated version of the novel that glosses over some details and misses out on some nuances of the original meaning of words. However, these clues cannot be discarded if we want to understand the novel as the author intended.

That said, it's perfectly valid for readers to not necessarily care about interpreting a work as the author intended. Some readers want to interpret the novel in a way that makes it easier for them to like the protagonist (I'm guilty here). Other readers want to interpret the novel in a way that aligns with their moral compass. Still, other readers want to rewrite Poisonous Lovers' Bugs as Poisonous Not-Really-Friends Bugs and believe that Xiao Yao was completely fulfilled by the YaoJing "romance." To each their own.

End Rant :)

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I just need to get it off my chest and write this out. If it has, my apologies.

One of the biggest hurdles for Jingers to accept XY loving XL is because YaoLiu never had any physical intimacy, like kissing or sleeping together when she was a woman. And they have disregarded and rewritten WXL and XL intimacy becuase it stemmed from a violent meeting. But I've always argued from the beginning that YaoLiu is indeed a love affair because lovers can exist without physical and sexual intimacy. Like I get it, why would you have intimacy with someone you don't love?

In LYF, there are three love lines with physical intimacy that didn't involve true love: Chuanzi and Tan'er, CX and Xingyue, and FFYY and Hou.

But there are three love lines that stem from real love, and two of them from true love, that didn't have intimacy: Yellow Emperor and Empress (their intimacy died through tragedy), CX and Ah Nian, and of course YaoLiu.

Most importantly, TH wrote FFYY and Hou to juxtaposed YaoLiu — that a physical and intimate relationship doesn't necessarily mean it's true love — while illustrating with Chuanzi and Tan'er that faking it till you make it is also possible in love.

TH's lesson for CX and Ah Nian, and CX and Xingyue, was that as a woman, you have to compromise your standards for the one you love and want.

Thoughts?

plor20:
And they have disregarded and rewritten WXL and XL intimacy becuase it stemmed from a violent meeting.

After the 1st time, when XL drank XY's blood in retaliation for her poking fun at his nine heads, there was always consent for the intimacy. When XL came to WXL's room injured, WXL consented to XL drinking his blood to heal. When WXL sought out XL (using Chuan Zi's marriage as an excuse) after months without seeing him, the two consented to physical intimacy for the sake of being physically intimate.

Xiang Liu asked “Did you bathe?”

Xiao Liu was still cheeky “Bathed super clean, just waiting for my lord to arrive.”

Xiang Liu’s hand grabbed Xiao Liu’s shoulder and he lowered his head. Xiao Liu docilely tipped back his neck and when Xiang Liu’s sharp fang pierced his skin and started drinking his blood, Xiao Liu didn’t close his eyes and instead looked at the moon.

-- Vol 1 Ch 4 (Chapter 4)

It's not that XL couldn't see for himself whether WXL's neck was clean. Besides, WXL having a clean neck never particularly bothered XL before. He asked whether WXL bathed because he was flirting with WXL and because he wanted to get WXL's consent to be physically intimate.

plor20:
TH wrote FFYY and Hou to mirror YaoLiu — that a physical and intimate relationship doesn't necessarily mean it's true love — while illustrating with Chuanzi and Tan'er that faking it till you make it is also possible in love.

Agree with Chuan Zi/Tian Er being a shadow relationship for YaoJing. There are a lot of parallels between the two relationships, including the fact that CX initially prevented both marriages from happening (by raising the price for Tian Er's freedom & taking part in Jing's disappearance). We know that Tian Er initially faked affection for Chuan Zi, with real affection gradually mixing in with the fake affection. We don't know if Tian Er's affection for Chuan Zi truly turned into love in the form that the PLBs would accept. 

I agree that FFYY/Hou is a shadow relationship for YaoLiu, but I see them more as foils for YaoLiu rather than mirrors. I do think FFYY and Hou were lovers in a way that the PLBs would accept, but they were lovers who ultimately betrayed each other--something YaoLiu never did, nor would do.

I believe Tong Hua provided many other shadow relationships as hypothetical mirrors for YaoLiu:

• A Heng and Chi Chen - What would happen if YaoLiu expressed their love despite having opposing stances.
  • Miao Pu and Zuo Er - What would happen if XY had saved XL and there was no opposing stance.
  • Chun Tao and Ma Zi - What would happen if FFB married into XY's family. 
  • Wen Xiao Liu and Lao Mu - What would happen if XL and XY both abandoned their loyalties and responsibilities to be together.
  • A Nian and Cang Xuan - What would happen if Hong Jiang surrendered to Xuan Yuan.

Most of these relationships are shallow mirrors for YaoLiu, with the sole purpose of showing that YaoLiu could have been together in all of these scenarios. We can't take the feelings that CX had for A Nian (which was sibling affection rather than romantic love) and apply them to infer how XY felt about XL, even though CX is a shadow character for XY and A Nian is a shadow character for XL.

As far as shadowing YaoLiu's actual feelings towards each other, I feel that only the A Heng/Chi Chen dynamic mirrors the YaoLiu dynamic.

"even though CX is a shadow character for XY and A Nian is a shadow character for XL." 

ANian is a shadow character for Jing I think, not for XL. She's the one CX replaced XY with in her absence. 

"One of the biggest hurdles for Jingers to accept XY loving XL is because YaoLiu never had any physical intimacy,"

I see it completely differentely, the intimacy between yaolin is steaming hot, with lots of sexual tension going on, while YaoJing is more or less 2 school kids going on a few dates togheter. 

blabla100:

"even though CX is a shadow character for XY and A Nian is a shadow character for XL."

ANian is a shadow character for Jing, not for XL. She's the one CX replaced XY with in her absence. 

Tong Hua often uses a single character to serve as shadows for many different scenarios.

In the context of what each character is looking for in love, you're right that A Nian is Jing's mirror/shadow:

• A Nian & Jing both want to be with the person the love, regardless of whether the other person wholeheartedly loves them back
  • XY & CX both don't have romantic love as their #1 priority
  • FFYY & XL both fell in love wholeheartedly and loved bravely
  • Xing Yue & FL both saw love as a means for social/political gain

In the context of CX's feelings for his partners shadowing XY's feelings for her partners:

• XY's feelings for XL = CX's feelings for XY
  • XY's feelings for Jing = CX's feelings for Xing Yue
  • XY's feelings for CX = CX's feelings for A Nian

Just trust me for now when I say A Nian is in fact a shadow for Xiang Liu. I'm working on a detailed post for this which will explain the parallels between these characters.

blabla100:

"One of the biggest hurdles for Jingers to accept XY loving XL is because YaoLiu never had any physical intimacy,"

I see it completely differentely, the intimacy between yaolin is steaming hot, with lots of sexual tension going on, while YaoJing is more or less 2 school kids going on a few dates togheter. 

I agree with you. 

plor20:
One of the biggest hurdles for Jingers to accept XY loving XL is because YaoLiu never had any physical intimacy, like kissing or sleeping together when she was a woman. And they have disregarded and rewritten WXL and XL intimacy becuase it stemmed from a violent meeting. But I've always argued from the beginning that YaoLiu is indeed a love affair because lovers can exist without physical and sexual intimacy. Like I get it, why would you have intimacy with someone you don't love?

There are a lot of itmacy between them, especially during the 37 years: XL fed XY blood via mouth contact. He caressed her, held her tight for long even after the treatment. Every night he slept next to her. XY knew it and she waited for his return everyday. It implied her approval to his action

Their archery lesson also requires certai amount of closeness. 

She caressed or grabbed his hair several time. She showed her despair only in front of XL .

And the scene in chapter 43 when she tried to keep him when he was injured was describle as if a typical literatural sex scene (just no comsumation in reality).

She voluntarily let him suck her blood when XL got injured by CX's subornates in chapter 5

and what happened in the pool in chapter 6 when he first bit her from anger then both of them got arose 

@solarlunareclipse

I have never thought of AhNian as being a shadow for XL, now I am curious what do you believe they have in common. 

YaoJing's intimacy is overated, IMO. I don't think it's their romantic gestures that make people believe in them, but XY's heartbreak over him, especially that blood spitting scene. A lot of jingers didn't pay much attention to what she said to CX, that she's not sad because of Jing, but because she trusted the wrong person, whatever. 

I am trying to recall their romantic scenes, but I can't think of any that's particular iconic. The first time when she tried to kiss him he refused, because he didn't want her pity. The next time was that underwater scene, in which he refused again because he wasn't the one in her eyes. When they finally kiss, he says he gave in because she was too alluring and he's more selfish now. There's also that spider web scene, when she says that she feels like a child again. A lot of sugar on the top, but there's not much depth. As opposite to YaoLin, their intimacy level is next level IMO, it's as if they have known eachother for a lifetime already. 

blabla100:
@solarlunareclipse

I have never thought of AhNian as being a shadow for XL, now I am curious what do you believe they have in common. 

Tong Hua went to great lengths to show that A Nian is Xiang Liu's shadow. The evidence is overwhelming. I'll post it here when I'm done translating relevant excerpts. Here's a preview:

Both met Wen Xiao Liu under analogous situations.

Wen Xiao Liu poisoned Mao Qiu in order to defend the fei fei. Wen Xiao Liu tried, but failed to poison Xiang Liu. Wen Xiao Liu was forced to give Xiang Liu the antidote for Mao Qiu.

男子抚摸着白羽金冠雕,“解药。”
The man stroked the white-feathered golden-crowned condor and said, "Antidote."

小六忙跪着爬过去,双手奉上解药。
Xiao Liu hurriedly crawled over on his knees and offered the antidote with both hands.

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

Wen Xiao Liu poisoned Hai Tang in order to defend Lao Mu. Wen Xiao Liu tried, but failed to poison A Nian. Wen Xiao Liu was forced to give A Nian the antidote for Hai Tang.

阿念捡起地上的药瓶,喂给海棠。海棠闭目运气一瞬,说道:“是解药。”
A Nian picked up the bottle of medicine on the ground and fed it to Hai Tang. Hai Tang closed her eyes for a moment and said, "It's the antidote."

— Vol 1 Ch 3 (Chapter 3)

@solarlunaeclipse

I think I get where you're going, but I personally still feel that A Nian is Jing's shadow. CX replaced A Nian with XY when they were apart, XY replaced XL (and her mom, if you ask me) with Jing. A Nian was willing to accept anything for CX, Jing was willing to do the same as long as he can remain by XY's side.  A Nian had no other purpose other than CX, while Jing biggest wish was to be with XY. I don't know, there were more similar things, but I can't remember them atm. 

Does anyone know where the Fang Feng Clan falls in terms of the clan hierarchy? Is the family influential in the Central Plains region or a different region? They're not a part of the Four Great Clans or the Six Big Families, right?

A Nian is Xiang Liu’s Shadow (Part 1)

At face value, Xiang Liu and A Nian appear to be polar opposites. However, A Nian is in fact Xiang Liu’s shadow. Shadow characters are a technique employed in the "grass snake ash line" writing style. A shadow character shares many traits with the main character they shadow and often experiences analogous situations. A shadow character may be used to subtly hint at a main character's intentions and motivations or foreshadow future events that the main character will encounter.

A Nian (阿念) and Xiang Liu’s (相柳) names hint at the shadow relationship. 柳 (liǔ) contains a hard ear radical (卩), a variant of the ear radical (耳). Shadow characters for Xiang Liu often have names containing various forms of the ear radical. "阿" (ā) contains an ear radical (阝). Furthermore both their names relate to the title of the book, 《长相思》, which means "eternally yearning for each other." Xiang Liu’s name shares the character "相" (xiang) in common with the title of the book. In A Nian’s name, "念" (niàn) means "to yearn for," and has a similar meaning to the character "思" (sī) from the title of the book. See the post on "Character Name Analysis" for details on how names hint at shadow relationships.

Aside from the commonalities in their names, there are numerous other clues that hint at A Nian being Xiang Liu’s shadow. One hint is that Xiang Liu and A Nian colluded twice: first to push Xiao Yao off a cliff after Xiao Yao’s introduction ceremony, and once more to save Xiao Yao’s life after she poisoned herself and Cang Xuan. Additionally, Xiao Yao’s remarks hint at Xiang Liu and A Nian’s hidden relationship.

After finding that A Nian had put bugs in her water pitcher, Xiao Yao muttered:

"阿念,你为什么这么弱呢?如果你能和那个九头妖相柳一样厉害,我的日子就比较有意思了。"
"A Nian, why are you so weak? If you were as powerful as that nine-headed demon, Xiang Liu, then my days would be more interesting."

— Vol 1 Ch 13 (Chapter 13)

After Xiang Liu and A Nian colluded to push Xiao Yao off a cliff, Xiao Yao asked Xiang Liu:

"你怎么和阿念搅到一起去了?"
"How did you get mixed up with A Nian?"

After Xiao Yao and A Nian had their big physical altercation, Xiao Yao told A Nian:

"你和相柳的事情,只有你我知道,我不会告诉颛顼,你自己也把口封死了。"
"Only you and I know the situation between you and Xiang Liu. I won't tell Cang Xuan, and you also keep your mouth shut."

— Vol 1 Ch 14 (Chapter 14)

In the last two remarks, "mixed up with A Nian" and "the situation between you and Xiang Liu" are double entendres hinting that there’s more to A Nian and Xiang Liu’s relationship than meets the eye. Indeed, there are many uncanny parallels between these two characters. Due to character length limitations on posts, we will enumerate thirty parallels between A Nian and Xiang Liu in Part 2 and Part 3 of this series of posts.

A Nian is Xiang Liu’s Shadow (Part 2)

...continued from Part 1

(1) Both are exceptionally attractive.

Xiao Liu was in awe of Xiang Liu’s beauty when he first saw Xiang Liu’s face.

白发如云,未束发髻,一条碧玉抹额将一头白发一丝不乱地拢在脑后,自然披垂,五官俊美到妖异,整个人也干净整洁到妖异。
His white hair flowed like clouds, unbound in a hair bun. A jade hairpin at his forehead neatly gathered a tuft of white hair behind his head, naturally cascading down. His features were stunningly beautiful yet oddly ethereal, and his overall appearance was eerily clean and tidy.

小六猜到了他的身份,那个传说中俊美无俦的杀人魔头九头妖——有九条命的相柳。
Xiao Liu guessed his identity—the legendary and peerlessly handsome murderous devil, nine-headed demon - Nine-Lives Xiang Liu.

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

When Xiao Liu first saw A Nian’s true face, he was surprised by her unquestionable beauty.

原来,阿念的真容竟如此美丽,是个不折不扣的美人
It turns out, A Nian's true appearance was surprisingly beautiful, an out-and-out beauty.

— Vol 1 Ch 9 (Chapter 9)

(2) Both reminded guests to mind their personal hygiene when they crashed weddings.

When Xiang Liu crashed Ma Zi and Chun Tao’s wedding:

相柳一袭白衣,站在回春堂门口,长身玉立,纤尘不染,就好像一朵白莲花,还是被雨水洗刷了三天三夜的,干净得让所有人都想回家去洗澡。
Xiang Liu was dressed in white and stood at the door of the Hui Chun Hall. He was tall and graceful, as clean as a white lotus blossom that had been washed by the rain for three days and three nights, so clean as to make everyone want to go home and take a bath.

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

When A Nian crashed Chuan Zi and Tian Er’s wedding:

阿念那居高临下、天经地义、理所应当的鄙夷,让所有人都有点坐立不安,屠户高想起了自己只是个臭屠户,身上常年有臊臭味,春桃想起了她指甲缝隙里总有点洗不干净的污垢……
A Nian's condescending, unquestionable, and natural disdain made everyone feel uneasy. Butcher Gao remembered that he was just a lowly butcher, always smelling of filth, and Chun Tao remembered the dirt that she could never quite wash out from under her fingernails…

— Vol 1 Ch 4 (Chapter 4)

(3) Both have water-based powers.

Xiang Liu fought against Xuan and his men with his crescent-moon-shaped blade, sending ice flowers flying through the air.

…相柳完全不躲,驱策白雕,迎着冰刃上前,挥手劈下,晶刀弯弯,回旋而过,霜花飞舞,一个人连着坐骑被绞碎…
…Xiang Liu didn’t dodge at all, urging the white condor forward to meet the ice blades head on, swinging his hand down, the crystal blade circled around, ice flowers flew through the air. One person and his mount were pulverized…

— Vol 1 Ch 6 (Chapter 6)

When Yue Liang tried to send soldiers to search A Nian’s room, she attacked the intruders with ice blades.

阿念走出了屋子,挥手射出一排冰刃,将几个士兵射倒,但她也很有分寸,没伤及性命。
A Nian walked out of the house and waved, shooting a row of ice blades that knocked down several soldiers. However, she was also careful and didn't injure anyone fatally.

— Vol 1 Ch 17 (Chapter 17)

(4) Both have associations with the lotus.

The white lotus symbolizes Xiang Liu. When Xiang Liu came to see Xiao Liu at Dragon Bone Prison to say, "Beneath your feet is the sea (脚下是大海), " he looked like he was standing in white lotus blossoms.

白影在浪花上站定,是一个白衣白发、戴着面具的男子,他立在浪花中,就如站在朵朵白中,纤尘不染、风姿卓绝。
A white shadow stood on the waves, a man dressed in white with white hair, wearing a mask. He stood amidst the waves as if standing in white lotus blossoms, untainted by this world, exuding exceptional grace.

— Vol 1 Ch 8 (Chapter 8)

After Xiao Yao learned of Fang Feng Yi Ying’s pregnancy and split up blood, A Nian conjured up lotus blossoms to cheer her up.

两人之间的案上有一个大水晶盆,阿念用灵力幻化出了满盆荷花,小夭拊掌而笑。
There was a large crystal basin on the table between the two of them. A Nian used her spiritual powers to conjure up a basin full of lotus blossoms. Xiao Yao clapped her hands and laughed.

— Vol 2 Ch 8 (Chapter 25)

(5) Both are considerate and personable…when they want to be.

After spending time with Fang Feng Bei, Xiao Yao noted:

相柳怎么可能温柔地和她说话,体贴地让着她,耐心地陪着她?也只有防风邶这种浪荡子才能那么了解女人的心思。
How could Xiang Liu possibly speak gently to her, considerately yield to her, and patiently accompany her? Only a libertine like Fang Feng Bei could understand a woman's thoughts so well.

— Vol 1 Ch 16 (Chapter 16)

After seeing A Nian adeptly butter up King Xuan Yuan, Xiao Yao noted:

…她以前觉得阿念小事糊涂、大事精明,并不蠢笨,只是脾气冲、不会做人,可现在明白了,阿念不是不会做人,而是懒得浪费精力,对于影响不到她的人,阿念何必花心思花精力去讨好?其实仔细想想,阿念看似刁蛮,可实际上她从未逾越高辛王和玱玹的底线。
…She used to think that A Nian was confused about small matters but astute in major ones, not stupid but just hot-tempered and lacking social skills. But now she understood. A Nian wasn't incapable socially; she just didn't want to waste her energy. For people who didn't affect her, why bother trying to please them? Actually, upon careful consideration, A Nian, although seemingly willful, never crossed the line with King Gao Xin and Cang Xuan.

(6) Both are insecure about their backgrounds.

Xiang Liu is insecure about being a 9-headed demon. When Xiao Yao found out she could breathe underwater and remarked that her body was different than before, Xiang Liu defensively retorted:

"这就是你活下去需要付出的代价,变成一只怪物。"
"This was the price you had to pay to survive, to become a monster."

— Vol 2 Ch 9 (Chapter 26)

A Nian is insecure about her mother’s lowly background.

原来这就是阿念的自卑,小夭沉思了一瞬,说道:"你竟然在怨恨你娘出身太微贱了!"
So this was A Nian's inferiority complex. Xiao Yao thought for a moment and said, "You actually resent your mother for her lowly background!"

(7) Their core values are described similarly.

Bi Jun on Xiang Liu:

"不,我没有嫌弃你,相反,我很敬重你。你心如琉璃剔透,连我的歌声都不能迷惑你,名利权势更不可能迷惑你。"
"No, I don't despise you. On the contrary, I greatly respect you. Your heart is as clear as glass, not even my singing can bewilder you, let alone fame, fortune, and power."

— Vol 3 Ch 15 (Chapter 48)

King Xuan Yuan on A Nian:

"阿念是个很好的小姑娘,天真刁蛮、干净透彻,没别的小姑娘那些复杂的心眼。"
"A Nian is a very good girl, innocent and willful, pure and transparent. She doesn’t have the complicated schemes other girls have."

— Vol 2 Ch 12 (Chapter 29)

(8) Both have been on the battlefield.

Miao Pu recounted Xiang Liu's last battle, where he was killed by thousands of arrows.

苗莆的声音小了下去:"一千多人对十万大军,没有一个人投降,全部战死。禺疆是神族第一高手,却一直打不过早已受伤的洪江。后来,蓐收大将军下令所有士兵万箭齐发,洪江被万箭射杀。他死后,露出了原身,是九头妖……蓐收大将军这才知道上当了。"
Miao Pu's voice got softer, "More than a thousand people faced an army of a hundred thousand, not a single one surrendered, all died in battle. Yu Jiang is the top fighter among the gods, but he couldn't defeat the already injured Hong Jiang. Later, General Ru Shou ordered all soldiers to fire ten thousand arrows, and Hong Jiang was shot to death by these arrows. After his death, his true form was revealed, he was the nine-headed demon... Only then did General Ru Shou realize that he had been deceived."

— Vol 3 Ch 18 (Chapter 51)

When Xiao Yao gave A Nian advice about staying out of the Central Plains and out of Cang Xuan’s affairs before departing for the islands, reassured Xiao Yao not to worry.

阿念道:"你放心!我依然如当年一样喜欢玱玹,可曾经的哭泣让我已经不再是当年的阿念。你可别忘记,我连战场都已上过,仗虽然是句芒帮忙打的,但所有的鲜血和死亡,是我自己去面对的。"
A Nian said, "Don't worry! I still love Cang Xuan as much as I did in the past, but the tears I wept have made me no longer the same A Nian. Don't forget, I've even been to the battlefield. Although Ju Mang aided in fighting the battles, all the bloodshed and death, I faced myself."

(9) Both met Xiao Liu under analogous situations.

Xiao Liu poisoned Mao Qiu in order to defend the fei fei. Xiao Liu tried, but failed to poison Xiang Liu. Xiao Liu was forced to give Xiang Liu the antidote for Mao Qiu.

男子抚摸着白羽金冠雕,"解药。"
The man stroked the white-feathered golden-crowned condor and said, "Antidote."

小六忙跪着爬过去,双手奉上解药
Xiao Liu hurriedly crawled over on his knees and offered the antidote with both hands.

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

Xiao Liu poisoned Hai Tang in order to defend Lao Mu. Xiao Liu tried, but failed to poison A Nian. Xiao Liu was forced to give A Nian the antidote for Hai Tang.

阿念捡起地上的药瓶,喂给海棠。海棠闭目运气一瞬,说道:"是解药。"
A Nian picked up the bottle of medicine on the ground and fed it to Hai Tang. Hai Tang closed her eyes for a moment and said, "It's the antidote."

— Vol 1 Ch 3 (Chapter 3)

(10) Both threatened to chop off Xiao Liu’s hands.

Xiang Liu threatened to chop off Xiao Liu’s hands after Xiao Liu threw poison at him.

"你再乱扔这些破玩意儿,脏了我的衣服,我就剁掉你的手。"
"If you keep throwing these useless things and dirtying my clothes, I will chop off your hands."

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

A Nian threatened to chop off Xiao Liu’s hands when he kidnapped her to help Xiang Liu get medicine for his men.

小六抱起阿念,阿念破口大骂:"放开我,再不放开我,我就剁掉你的手!"
Xiao Liu picked up A Nian, and A Nian loudly threatened, "Let me go. If you don't let me go, I will chop off your hands!"

— Vol 1 Ch 5 (Chapter 5)

(11) Both ordered Xiao Liu to be beaten.

When Xiang Liu asked Xiao Liu if he finished considering Xiang Liu’s offer to work for him, Xiao Liu replied that he was still thinking and needed a drink of water. Xiang Liu calmly ordered him whipped.

相柳淡淡说:"鞭笞,二十!"
Xiang Liu calmly said, "Whip him, twenty lashes!"

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

When A Nian found Xiao Liu at the Gao Xin palace, she captured him and ordered him beaten.

阿念气恨已极,下令:"打!先打手,再打嘴,打死了,我负责!"
A Nian, extremely furious, ordered, "Hit him! Start with the hands, then the mouth. If he dies, I’ll take responsibility!"

— Vol 1 Ch 9 (Chapter 9)

(12) Xiao Liu shamelessly flirts with both of them.

When Xiang Liu tells Xiao Liu that if he can't produce a poison, he can offer his body instead, Xiao Liu feigns misunderstanding and interprets Xiang Liu’s words in the most suggestive manner possible.

"大人天姿国色,小的倒不是不愿意服侍大人,只是……"
"My Lord is handsome beyond compare, It's not that I'm unwilling to serve my Lord, but..."

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

While Xiao Liu's hands were being beaten on A Nian's orders, he suggestively remarked how touching her back was worth the beating.

小六唇边挂着一丝笑,还故意出言挑衅:"你的背又软又香,就算打断了手,摸一摸都是值得的。自从上次摸过后,我一直朝思暮想……"
With the hint of a smile on his lips, Xiao Liu deliberately provoked, "Your back is soft and fragrant. Even if you break my hand, it was worth touching it. Ever since the last time I touched it, I've been thinking about it day and night..."

— Vol 1 Ch 9 (Chapter 9)

(13) Xiao Liu wanted to whip both of them.

When Xiang Liu asked Xiao Liu if Xiao Liu really wanted to poison him to death, Xiao Liu replied that he just wanted to whip Xiang Liu 180 times.

小六诚实地说:"我又不是轩辕的士兵,你我之间现在还没有生死之仇,我只是想抽你百八十鞭子。"
Xiao Liu said honestly, "I am not a soldier from Xuan Yuan. There is not yet any blood feud between you and me. I just want to whip you a hundred and eighty times."

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

A Nian crashed Chuan Zi and Tian Er’s wedding banquet, complained the cups were dirty, and insulted the bride. When Xiao Liu invited her to leave, A Nian proclaimed that if it weren’t for her brother, she would order Xiao Liu whipped. Xiao Liu thought to himself that he reciprocated her sentiment.

八面玲珑的桑甜儿脸色也变了,小六立即决定送客,对轩和阿念说:"两位不再坐一会儿了?不坐了!那慢走,慢走,不送了啊!"
Even the normally collected face of Sang Tian Er fell. Xiao Liu immediately decided to see off the guests. He said to Xuan and A Nian, "You guys can’t stay a while? Not even a bit longer? Then travel safely! I won’t be able to send you off!"

轩拉着阿念站起,往外走,对小六道歉。阿念瞪着小六,"每次看到你,都觉得厌烦,如果不是哥哥,我会下令鞭笞你。"
Xuan pulled A Nian up to leave, apologizing to Xiao Liu. A Nian glared at Xiao Liu, "Every time I see you, I despise you. If it weren’t for my brother, I would order you whipped!"

小六在心里说,如果不是因为你哥哥,我也会抽你
Xiao Liu thought, "If it weren’t for your brother, I would also whip you."

— Vol 1 Ch 4 (Chapter 4)

(14) Both responded to Xiao Yao’s hypothetical musings by retorting that she is dreaming.

After Xiao Liu admitted to wanting to whip Xiang Liu, Xiang Liu retorted:

"你这辈子就别做梦了。"
"Dream on in this lifetime."

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

After Xiao Yao told A Nian that the third path they could take was to act like real sisters and affectionately get along with each other, A Nian retorted:

"呸,你做梦!"
"Hah, you must be dreaming!"

(15) Both motivated Xiao Yao to study poisons.

Xiang Liu’s attitude of not taking Xiao Liu seriously angered Xiao Liu and motivated him to diligently study poisons.

相柳把他的毒药当糖豆子吃,让他反思后,决定沉下心思好好钻研如何害人,继续在歪路上前进,目的就是迟早毒倒那个魔头!
Xiang Liu ate his poison like candy. After reflecting on this, Xiao Liu resolved to diligently study how to harm people, continuing to walk down this crooked path with the goal of poisoning that devil sooner or later!

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

A Nian pushed Xiao Yao because she became jealous and angry when she found out that Cang Xuan made time to spend with Xiao Yao every day. The push motivated Xiao Yao to start studying poisons again.

小夭走过去翻看,真拿了一本打算细看,不过不是父王期待的学习医术,而是要继续研究如何害人。阿念今日这一推,让小夭警醒了很多,她不能懈怠啊!
Xiao Yao walked over to browse through the books, actually taking one to study in detail. However, it wasn't to learn medical skills as her father expected, but to continue researching how to harm people. A Nian's push today served as a wake-up call for Xiao Yao; she couldn’t slack off!

小夭又开始研究毒药
Xiao Yao started to study poisons again…

To be continued in Part 3 ...

A Nian is Xiang Liu’s Shadow (Part 3)

...continued from Part 2

(16) Both insinuated that they were only giving in to Xiao Liu's requests because Xiao Liu was begging them.

When Xiao Liu challenged Xiang Liu to a swimming competition, Xiang Liu agreed by saying:

"看在你在求我的分儿上,我同意。"
"Seeing the way you are begging me, I’ll do it."

— Vol 1 Ch 3 (Chapter 3)

When Xiao Liu encouraged A Nian to try some snacks from food stalls along the street, A Nian reluctantly agreed.

阿念扭捏着不肯吃,小六又说了两句好话,阿念摆出一副是你求我吃,可不是我馋了的样子,勉勉强强地咬了一口。
A Nian hesitated and refused to eat. Xiao Liu said a few more encouraging words. A Nian gave an expression of "I’m eating this because you’re begging me to eat it, not because I want to eat it," and reluctantly took a bite.

— Vol 1 Ch 11 (Chapter 11)

(17) Xiao Yao gave both three choices.

When going to see Xiang Liu about the matter of Chuan Zi’s marriage, Xiao Liu gave Xiang Liu three choices:

"三个选择,可以抽我四十鞭,可以把我从这里踢下去,还可以听我说正事。正事!"
"Three choices, you can give me forty lashes, you can kick me out of here, or you can also listen to me say something important. Important!"

— Vol 1 Ch 4 (Chapter 4)

Xiao Yao gave A Nian three choices for the path their relationship could take.

"第一条路就是现在的路,咱俩不好好相处,你不停地找我碴,甚至不惜联合外人来整治我。你有仔细想过这条路的结局是什么吗?"
"The first path is the current path. We don't get along, you keep picking fights with me, and you even joined forces with outsiders to deal with me. Have you carefully considered the outcome of this path?"

"第二条路,却是和第一条截然不同,我们和平相处,你别瞪我!我说的是和平相处,没有说友爱相处!所谓和平相处就是井水不犯河水,承恩宫很大,大得即使多了我一个,只要你不想理会,完全可以一年都不见一次。你可以仔细想一下这条路的结局。父王会欣慰,玱玹依旧宠你护你,你娘也继续平静地生活。"
"The second path, however, is completely different from the first. We coexist peacefully—don't glare at me! I said peacefully, not amicably! Peaceful coexistence means staying out of each other's way. Cheng En Palace is vast, so large that even with me here, as long as you choose to ignore me, we could go a year without meeting. You can carefully consider the outcome of this path. Father would be pleased, Cang Xuan would still cherish and protect you, and your mother could continue living peacefully."

阿念冷哼,"难道只有两条路?"
A Nian coldly snorted, "Are there only two paths?"

小夭笑道:"其实,是有第三条,我们友爱相处,从此你不但有爹爹和哥哥疼,还多了个姐姐宠着你。"
Xiao Yao smiled and said, "Actually, there is a third path. We can get along amicably, and from now on, you'll not only have Father and Brother love you, but also a sister who dotes on you."

(18) Both denied caring for Xiao Yao.

After Xiao Liu refused Xiang Liu’s help to keep him safe after he kidnapped A Nian, Xiang Liu told Xiao Liu to not get himself killed. When Xiao Liu reassured Xiang Liu not to worry, Xiang Liu responded with:

"我惦记的是你的血,不是你的人。"
"What I’m worried about is your blood, not your person."

— Vol 1 Ch 5 (Chapter 5)

When A Nian and Hai Tang snuck out of Gao Xin to visit Xuan Yuan, A Nian and Cang Xuan had this exchange:

阿念问玱玹:"哥哥,你是不是不高兴我来?"
A Nian asked Cang Xuan, "Brother, are you unhappy that I'm here?"

玱玹温和地说:"当然不会,你来看我和小夭,我很高兴。"
Cang Xuan said gently, "Of course not. I'm very happy that you came to see me and Xiao Yao."

阿念不屑地横了小夭一眼,"我只是来看哥哥。"
A Nian glanced at Xiao Yao disdainfully and said, "I only came to see my brother."

(19) Both were entangled like an octopus with Xiao Liu.

Around the time of Fang Feng Yi Ying’s assassination attempt on Xuan, Xiang Liu took Xiao Liu on a turbulent ride before grabbing Xiao Liu and jumping off of Mao Qiu from a great height into the water. This passage describes Xiao Liu’s reaction to the ride.

小六骇然,如八爪鱼般抓住相柳的身子。
Xiao Liu was horrified and grabbed onto Xiang Liu's body like an octopus.

— Vol 1 Ch 7 (Chapter 7)

While on a boat ride, A Nian, Hai Tang, Cang Xuan and Xiao Liu get into an argument with Xin Yue and Fang Feng Yi Ying. Yi Ying attacked and caused all parties in A Nian’s boat to fall into the water. A Nian couldn’t swim so Xiao Liu went to save her. This passage describes A Nian’s reaction.

阿念一碰到小六,立即像八爪鱼般地缠住小六,连男女之防都顾不上了。
As soon as A Nian reached Xiao Liu, she immediately wrapped around him like an octopus, disregarding all boundaries between men and women.

(20) Both made Xiao Liu swear an oath.

Xiang Liu made Xiao Liu swear an oath to do one thing for him in the future before agreeing to accept the voodoo bug.

相柳伸出手掌,小六与他对击了一下,"我发誓,只要相柳帮我解除轩的蛊,我就帮他做一件事情。"
Xiang Liu extended his palm, and Xiao Liu struck it in agreement. "I swear, as long as Xiang Liu helps me lift the curse on Xuan, I'll help him with one thing."

相柳冷冷地问:"若违此呢?"
Xiang Liu asked coldly, "What if you break this oath?"

小六想了想,说:"天打五雷轰?粉身碎骨?以你的小气性子,肯定都不满意,你说吧,想让我什么下场?"
Xiao Liu thought for a moment and replied, "May thunder strike me? May I be torn into a thousand pieces? Knowing your petty nature, you definitely won't be satisfied with those. So, tell me, what fate do you want me to face?"

"如若违背,凡你所喜,都将成痛;凡你所乐,都将成苦。"
"If you break the promise, all that you love will turn into pain; all that brings you joy will turn into suffering."

— Vol 1 Ch 7 (Chapter 7)

A Nian made Xiao Liu swear not to let her father marry her off to him.

小六笑道:"好,我保证让你父王不会把你嫁给我。"
Xiao Liu smiled and said, "Alright, I guarantee your father won't marry you off to me."

"你发誓?"
"Do you swear?"

小六毫不犹豫地举起手,信誓旦旦地说:"我发誓,绝不让陛下把王姬嫁给我,否则天打五雷轰!"
Without hesitation, Xiao Liu raised his hand and solemnly vowed, "I swear, I will never let His Majesty marry Princess off to me. Otherwise, may thunder strike me!"

— Vol 1 Ch 10 (Chapter 10)

(21) Both decided to control their volatile tempers after heart-to-heart conversations with Xiao Yao.

Xiang Liu started controlling his temper around Xiao Yao after she remarked that he wasn't suitable to appear in a girl's dreams. The next time he approached her, he did so as easy-going and patient Fang Feng Bei.

小夭思索了一会儿才慢慢地说:"我哥哥,就是玱玹了,有一天晚上我们聊天时,他笑我毕竟还是个会做梦的女孩子。虽然只是、只是……可我怕一不小心,你会走进我梦里,而你……"小夭摇摇头,"绝不适合出现在女孩子的梦里,那只怕真的比死还可怕。"
Xiao Yao pondered for a moment before slowly saying, "My brother is Cang Xuan. One night while we were talking, he teased me, saying that I'm still a girl who dreams. Even though it's just... just... I'm afraid that if I'm not careful, you'll walk into my dreams, and you..." Xiao Yao shook her head, "You're absolutely unsuitable to appear in a girl's dreams; that might be even scarier than death."

A Nian started controlling her temper around Xiao Yao after Xiao Yao pointed out that their discord would hurt A Nian's parents and jeopardize her relationship with Cang Xuan.

阿念瞪着小夭,小夭说:"对父王而言,我和你就像手心手背,手心手背都是肉,不管是你伤了,还是我伤了,他都会痛。父王如果痛了,你娘的天就变了,你娘也会痛!如果爹娘都痛了,我不相信你这做女儿的会觉得愉快!而玱玹,也许你不愿意承认,但我知道你心里明白,所以你才一再要验证。我不是父王和玱玹,我不拿假话哄你,我和玱玹血脉相连,安危相系,是彼此的倚靠,甚至是这世间唯一的倚靠。如果你真伤害了我,玱玹一定不会原谅你!"
A Nian glared at Xiao Yao, and Xiao Yao said, "To Father, you and I are like the palm and the back of the hand; both are flesh. Whether you are hurt or I am hurt, he will feel the pain. If Father is in pain, your mother's world will change, and she will also suffer! If both your parents are in pain, I don't believe you, as their daughter, would feel happy! As for Cang Xuan, maybe you don't want to admit it, but I know you understand deep down, which is why you keep seeking validation. I am not Father or Cang Xuan; I won't deceive you with false words. Cang Xuan and I are linked by blood, our fates intertwined, we rely on each other for support, we are perhaps even each other’s only support in this world. If you truly hurt me, Cang Xuan will never forgive you!"

(22) Xiao Yao referred to both as the devil.

When Xiang Liu abandoned Xiao Yao to swim back herself after she told him he wasn’t suitable to walk into a girl’s dreams, Xiao Yao started cursing at him. This was one of numerous times she referred to him as the devil.

小夭还是不相信,叫道:"相柳,相柳,九命!九头怪!死魔头!死九头怪魔头……"
Xiao Yao still didn't believe it and shouted, "Xiang Liu, Xiang Liu, Nine Lives! Nine-headed demon! Bastard devil! Bastard nine-headed demon devil..."

— Vol 1, Chapter 13 (Chapter 13)

Xuan invited Xiao Liu to eat and drink after he caught Xiao Liu stealing in his kitchen. They started talking about A Nian, and Xiao Liu realized that Xuan was intentionally distracting A Nian to prevent her from causing trouble.

小六恍然大悟,难怪女魔头这么安分,原来被小白脸设计绊住了。
Xiao Liu suddenly realized, no wonder the female devil had been so well-behaved; it turned out the pretty boy was intentionally keeping her occupied.

— Vol 1 Ch 3 (Chapter 3)

(23) Xiao Yao successfully poisoned both.

Xiao Yao successfully poisoned Fang Feng Bei the first time she spoke with him.

小夭抓起了他的手,抚着他的手指细看,他的指尖生了红点,真是
Xiao Yao grabbed his hand, gently inspected his fingers, and noticed red dots on his fingertips. He was indeed poisoned.

男子叹气,"如果你没给我下毒,我倒真觉得自己艳福不浅。"
The man sighed, "If you hadn't poisoned me, I would really have thought that I was lucky in love.”

— Vol 1 Ch 15 (Chapter 15)

A Nian threw a tantrum blaming Cang Xuan’s degenerate behavior on Xiao Yao’s reappearance in his life. Xiao Yao poisoned A Nian after A Nian refused to stop insulted Xiao Yao’s mother.

小夭吩咐海棠:"把她带回屋子,半个时辰后就会解掉。"
Xiao Yao instructed Hai Tang, "Take her back to the room; the poison will wear off in six hours."

— Vol 1 Ch 17 (Chapter 17)

(24) Both put Xiao Yao in red robes.

During Feng Long and Xin Yue’s birthday party, Fang Feng Bei performed a magic trick that turned Xiao Yao’s robe different colors. The last color he transformed her robe to was red.

防风邶笑:"寿星的要求,那就再变最后一套。"他把红色的蜀葵花瓣抛撒到小夭身上,绿色的衣衫渐渐地变作了红色。
Fang Feng Bei smiled, "To honor the birthday boy’s request, let's change the color of the outfit one last time." He scattered red hollyhock petals on Xiao Yao, and her green clothes gradually turned red.

— Vol 2 Ch 1 (Chapter 18)

Before Xiao Yao’s introduction ceremony as Gao Xin’s eldest princess, A Nian ruined the white robe she was planning to wear, forcing her to wear the red robe that King Gao Xin had rejected earlier.

小夭说:"父王,你不问我为什么穿了这套你很不喜欢的礼服吗?"
Xiao Yao said: "Father, aren’t you going to ask me why I wore this robe that you don't like?"

"肯定是阿念把那套礼服弄坏了。"
"Undoubtedly it’s because A Nian ruined the other robe."

(25) Both called Xiao Yao useless.

When discussing Xiao Yao’s heartache, Xiang Liu used his usual sharp wit to encourage her to take charge of her depression.

"当年,我知道你很没用,肯定会时常受伤,但没想到你这么没用,连自己的心都护不住。"
"Back then, I knew you were useless and would often get injured, but I didn't expect you to be this useless, unable even to protect your own heart."

After Xuan helped A Nian retrieve the antidote for Hai Tang, A Nian mocked Xiao Liu for being useless.

阿念讥嘲小六,"就你这没用的样子还敢和我们作对?"
A Nian mocked Xiao Liu, "Seeing how useless you are, how dare you oppose us?"

— Vol 1 Ch 3 (Chapter 3)

(26) Xiao Yao had pleasant sea excursions with both of them.

Xiao Yao activated the Poisonous Lover’s Bugs to catch Xiang Liu’s attention during Cang Xuan’s first wedding. After having a conversation about Xiao Yao’s heartache, Xiang Liu took Xiao Yao on an undersea excursion to cheer her up.

透明、却身姿曼妙的水母;颜色各异的海螺、海贝;色彩明媚的鱼群;晃晃悠悠的海星,在水波中一荡一荡,还真有点像天上的星星在一闪一闪……
Transparent yet graceful jellyfish; variously colored conches and seashells; brightly colored schools of fish; gently swaying starfish, moving with the current, almost like the stars twinkling in the sky…

游久了,小夭忘记了生气,身与心都浸润在海水中。
After swimming for a long time, Xiao Yao forgot to be angry, and her body and mind were immersed in the sea water.

以前,不管她再喜欢水,水是水,她是她,纵使含了鱼丹,也隔着一层。可这一次,却觉得她在水中游,水在她身流,她就是水的一部分,她可以永远待在水里。
In the past, no matter how much she loved water, water was water, and she was herself; even with a fish stone in her mouth, there was still a barrier. But this time, while she was swimming in the water, she felt as if the water was flowing through her body. She was a part of the water, and she could stay in it forever.

After running away from her wedding to Feng Long, Xiao Yao spent time at sea with King Gao Xin and A Nian.

临别前一日,高辛王早早下朝,带小夭和阿念乘船出海,父女三人钓鱼、烤鱼,忙得不亦乐乎。
The day before leaving, King Gao Xin left court early and took Xiao Yao and A Nian out to sea on a boat. The father and daughters fished and grilled fish together, keeping themselves happily busy.

父女三人一直玩到天色黑透,才兴尽而归,高辛王看着环绕在身畔的两个女儿,听着她们的软语娇声,如北地山般冷峻的眉眼全化作了江南的水。
The father and daughters played until the sky was completely dark before wearily heading home. King Gao Xin looked at his two daughters beside him, listening to their gentle words and sweet voices. His expression, which had been as cold and stern as the mountains of the north, softened to resemble the warm and gentle waters of the south.

— Vol 2 Ch 16 (Chapter 33)

(27) Both helped Xiao Yao fall sleep after a spending time at sea.

Xiao Yao fell into a deep sleep during the undersea excursion with Xiang Liu.

小夭觉得又累又困,迷迷糊糊地说:"我打个盹。"说是打个盹,却沉沉地睡了过去。只不过以水做榻,虽然柔软,可水中暗流不断,睡得毕竟不安稳。
Xiao Yao felt tired and sleepy. Drowsily, she said, "I’m going to take a nap." Despite her intention, she fell into a deep sleep. However, using the water as a bed, although soft, the constant undercurrents made her rest uneasy.

一枚纯白的海贝朝他们漂过来,到了他们身边时,缓缓张开。相柳把小夭抱起,轻轻放在贝壳里,他却未睡,而是倚靠着贝壳,凝视着海中星星点点的微光。
A pure white seashell drifted towards them and opened slowly when it reached them. Xiang Liu lifted Xiao Yao and gently placed her inside the shell. He didn't sleep but leaned against the shell, gazing at the scattered bits and pieces shimmering in the sea.

小夭已经一年多没有真正踏实过,每夜都会醒来两三次,有时候实在难以入睡还要吃点药。
Xiao Yao hadn't had a truly restful sleep in over a year. She woke up two or three times every night. Sometimes, she had difficulty falling asleep and had to take some medicine.

After their sea excursion, the two sisters had a heart-to-heart chat. Xiao Yao confided in A Nian about why she ran away from her wedding to Feng Long. The two fell asleep together after chatting.

小夭的话勾动了阿念的心思,她絮絮叨叨地说起自己的心事来,两姐妹聊困了,才稀里糊涂地睡过去
Xiao Yao's words aroused A Nian's thoughts, and A Nian chattered on about her own worries. The two sisters chatted until they were drowsy, eventually falling asleep in a daze.

— Vol 2 Ch 16 (Chapter 33)

(28) Xiao Yao grilled fish for both.

Xiao Yao grilled fish for Xiang Liu after their undersea excursion.

小夭给自己两条鱼,给相柳烤了一条像乳猪般大小的鱼,用个大海螺烧了一锅海鲜汤。
Xiao Yao grilled two fish for herself, grilled a fish the size of a suckling pig for Xiang Liu, and cooked a pot of seafood soup using a large conch.

Xiao Yao grilled fish for A Nian while on a boat excursion with Cang Xuan, A Nian, and Hai Tang.

小六吃了一会儿河蚌,身上的衣服也差不多干了,她把三条腌制好的鱼拿了出来,用荷叶包好,放在一旁慢慢地着。
Xiao Liu ate river mussels for a while, and her clothes were almost dry. She took out three marinated fish, wrapped them in lotus leaves, and placed them aside to grill slowly.

小六拿了一条鱼给玱玹,"你尝尝。"
Xiao Liu handed a fish to Cang Xuan and said, "Try this."

玱玹掀开荷叶,浓郁的香气扑鼻而来,阿念和海棠也赶忙去拿鱼,荷叶揭开的刹那,简直能香飘十里。
Cang Xuan tore open the lotus leaf, and a rich aroma filled the air. A Nian and Hai Tang also hurriedly went to grab a fish. The moment the lotus leaf was torn open, the fragrance could be smelled from ten miles away.

(29) Xiao Yao warned both not to go to the Central Plains.

After Xiang Liu told Xiao Yao that the best ending for a general is to die on the battlefield, Xiao Yao warned him to come to the Central Plains less frequently.

小夭总觉得有些话想说,可仔细想去,却又什么都想不起来,她说:"现在不比以前,你最好还是少来中原。"
Xiao Yao always felt like there was something she wanted to say, but upon careful consideration, she couldn't think of what to say. She said, "Now is not like before. It’s best if you come to the Central Plains less frequently."

— Vol 2 Ch 12 (Chapter 29)

Before setting off for the sea and islands, Xiao Yao warned A Nian not to set foot in the Central Plains.

小夭对阿念说:"你若在五神山待得无聊时,就来轩辕山看父王,但记住,永不要踏足中原,永不要过问玱玹的事情。"
Xiao Yao said to A Nian, "If you ever get bored on Five Gods Mountain, come to Xuan Yuan Mountain to see Father. But remember, never set foot in the Central Plains, and never get involved in Cang Xuan’s affairs."

(30) Both gave wedding gifts of Fu Sang God Wood.

Xiang Liu had A Bi give Xiao Yao the big-bellied laughing doll carved from Fu Sang God Wood.

…阿獙的礼物是一对用玉山古玉琢的同心佩,一个用扶桑神木雕刻的大肚笑娃娃,都是他亲手做的。
…A Bi’s gift was a pair of connected pendants carved from ancient jade sourced from Jade Mountain, and a big-bellied laughing doll carved from Fu Sang God Wood, both made by his own hands.

A Nian gave a bundle of Fu Sang God Wood. This was an inside joke between the A Nian and Xiao Yao. On the boat trip that Cang Xuan, A Nian, Hai Tang, and Xiao Liu took during the Chi Shui Autumn Tournament, A Nian had Hai Tang ask for a bundle of Fu Sang God Wood from Xin Yue's servant in exchange for the fish that Xiao Liu had grilled. This is prompted the fight between the two parties.

…阿念的礼物是一捆扶桑神木
…A Nian’s gift was a bundle of Fu Sang God Wood

The numerous parallels between A Nian and Xiang Liu that Tong Hua included in the story should demonstrate without a "shadow" of a doubt that A Nian is Xiang Liu’s shadow. In a follow-up post, we’ll delve into what we can learn about Xiang Liu through what we know about A Nian.