solarlunareclipse:

Does anyone know where the Fang Feng Clan falls in terms of the clan hierarchy? Is the family influential in the Central Plains region or a different region? They're not a part of the Four Great Clans or the Six Big Families, right?

so there were 4 most influential clans of the whole Dai Huang; Chi sui, Tu Shan, Xi liang and Cui Fang (don’t remember)

then there were 6 big clans in Central plains. Fang feng either belonged to this group or 1 step lower than this. I think it is 1 step lower. Fang feng clan did not have significant impact on political map

If i remember correctly Fang feng clan lived in the north of Central Plain

solarlunareclipse:

Does anyone know where the Fang Feng Clan falls in terms of the clan hierarchy? Is the family influential in the Central Plains region or a different region? They're not a part of the Four Great Clans or the Six Big Families, right?

I'm not caught up on this thread, but this is a quick answer :)

They are a moderately powerful clan from the North (not the Middle Plains) that sits below the Four Great Clans and the Six Big Families in terms of clan hierarchy. 

-----

Chapter 4:

Lao Mu was furious but there was nothing he could do. The brothels in Qing Shui Town were special, a place for information to be disseminated and gathered, filled with the most beautiful and talented girls, where powerful men would often go visit. There were various powers at play there, not just Sheng Nong, Gao Xing, and Xuan Yuan, but the various noble families from the Chi Sui family in the Middle Plains to the Fang Feng family from the North.

-----

Chapter 5:

“That’s nothing interesting. There is something even more major that happened in town!”

“What? Do tell!”

“Let me test you guys first. Other than Xuan Yuan, Gao Xing, and Sheng Nong, within the great wilderness what are the other powerful and famous clans?”

“Who doesn’t know that? Below the Three Imperial Families, on the top of the pecking order are the Four Great Clans – the Chi Shui family, the Xi Ling family, the Tu Shan family, and the Gui Fang family. Other than the Four Great Clans, in the Middles Plans are the Six Big Families. And below the Six Big Families are various moderately powerful smaller clans such as the Jin Tian family to the South, the Fang Feng family to the North….. But none of them can compare to the Four Great Clans.”

-----

Chapter 20:

Xiao Yao asked, “If she dislikes him that much, why not end the engagement?”

Xing Yue coldly scoffed. “End the engagement? She would never give it up! Yi Yang is very beautiful and capable, the top at everything. But no matter how talented she is, she is still the daughter of the Fang Feng family. The top six families in the Middle Plains wouldn’t even glance at her or give her the time of day. When I was still small, she tried to cozy up to me and became my friend which is when the other powerful daughters reluctantly accepted her. Once people saw her close to us, their opinion of her rose. I don’t even know how it happened that Jing gege’s mom decided on her and engaged her to Jing gege. She immediately changed and was no longer as solicitous towards me. By that time I was grown up so I understood how things worked and accepted that. Since she was the next wife of the Tu Shan clan leader, I figured I needed to keep her in line with me.”

I just had a thought that isn't all that meaninful, but maybe will be of interest anyway. 

I imagine this could very well be purely a cooincidence and not intentional, but I think that it's extremely interesting that the two names that XY gives to immortals (one deity and one demon) in the story are Ye Shi Qi and Zuo Er. Which, in English, translate to "Seventeen Leaves" and "Left Ear". 

Leaves and Left are, of course, conjugations of the verb "to leave". And XY's greatest fear was being left / abandoned by the people she cared about. 

That just seems like an incredible cooincidence, and a teeny tiny part of my has to wonder if Tong Hua might've had a little laugh to herself when she came up with those names. 

@H19279 and @AH,

Thanks for the information on the Fang Feng Clan. The chapter references are especially helpful. I'd been looking for that info for a while.

Do you know if the Tu Shan Clan was based in the Middle Plains? Or do they at least have a lot of influence over the Middle Plains? I think they're originally from Qinq Qiu, but not sure where Qing Qiu is located.

AH :
I imagine this could very well be purely a cooincidence and not intentional, but I think that it's extremely interesting that the two names that XY gives to immortals (one deity and one demon) in the story are Ye Shi Qi and Zuo Er. Which, in English, translate to "Seventeen Leaves" and "Left Ear".

Leaves and Left are, of course, conjugations of the verb "to leave". And XY's greatest fear was being left / abandoned by the people she cared about. 

Tong Hua probably didn't intentionally leave this as an Easter Egg for English-speaking readers, but who cares, I'm all for being creative and making our own Easter Eggs! We can file this under the same category of Easter Eggs as XL's wish for XY to have peace and happiness without worries sort of sounding like the English "I love you" when spoken out loud.

"安乐无忧"
"ān lèwú yōu"

solarlunareclipse:
Do you know if the Tu Shan Clan was based in the Middle Plains? Or do they at least have a lot of influence over the Middle Plains? I think they're originally from Qinq Qiu, but not sure where Qing Qiu is located.

Headquarter of Tushan clan was located in Qing Qiu which was 1 hour by flying horse from Zhi yi. In chapter 20 you can find the reference about the time when XY farewelled Jing to return  to Qing Qiu for new year festival.

In chapter 21, because of worrying for XY, Jing pushed the horse and it took him only half an hour (Chinese hour) to get to Little Zhurong's manson. 

Qing Qiu is located in the middle of Shen Nong kingdom (meaning the Middle Plain)

Tushan clan did a lot of trading throughout the whole Dai Huang and they were the richest clan. They traded all parties and kingdoms and had strong connection to all other important clans.

There is a chapter that XY mentioned about Qing Qiu which in Middle Plain but she avoid to go there due to her hatred with the 9-tailed fox demon who probably came from Qing Qiu

solarlunareclipse:
Yes, agree that this is all open to interpretation. That said, outside the context of the novel, I can't really imagine a girl liking someone without knowing she likes that person. The girl may not want to admit to others that she likes the person, but she knows she likes them.

I think it's entirely possible for people to not be aware of their true feelings in fiction and in real life. And in WXL's case there's so much going on... she has lived as a man for ~200 years and, for the most part, views herself as a man in these chapters, or at least not really as a woman. She's traumatized and has built a protective shell around her heart. She has this hate-but-not-really-hate antagonistic thing going on with XL. And she knows that XL is a ruthless soldier and Xuan Yuan's enemy. With all those complications, it seems eniterly plausible to me that WXL wouldn't be aware of her developing feelings for XL at this stage of the story. 

solarlunareclipse:
Moreover, inside the context of this novel, this phrase was spoken in a  romantic setting where she grabbed Xiang Liu's hand tightly and inched closer to him, which would lead to me think that she was trying to make a conscious bid to gauge his openness towards a relationship. Even when he didn't respond, she raised the stakes with another bid by suggested that Xiang Liu side with King Xuan Yuan and betray Hong Jiang, which angered Xiang Liu and caused him to lash out at Xiao Liu. She knew this suggestion would anger Xiang Liu. Why bring this up unless she wanted to gauge the possibility of a long-term relationship with him?

The setting was indeed beautiful, WXL did hold XL's hand tightly, and WXL did move closer to XL after he stopped walking along the waves. But I don't think any of those details provide strong evidence that XY definitely already had clearly established romantic feelings for XL in this scene, was aware of those feelings, and wanted to gauge XL's oppenness to having a romantic relationship with her. 

(1) Their interactions at the beginning of the scene (WXL thinking that XL came to her to remind her that one more wedding meant one more person in her found family which meant one more hostage for him to threaten if WXL didn't do what XL asked of him, including continuinging to make poisons / WXL wryly talking about XL killing her / XL wryly talking  about needing to come up with more effective torture methods for WXL than whipping / WXL thinking that XL was going to hit her), show that WXL was still pretty wary of XL at this point. I really, truly think that the odds that WXL had romantic feelings for XL before this scene are almost zero. 

(2)  XL is in a bad mood from the beginning of this encounter and WXL notices it right away. 

(3) When they get to the ocean, XL can walk on the waves like they're land, but WXL cannot. WXL has to hold XL's hand to avoid falling below the surface. 

(4) On the surface of the ocean under the endless night sky, the world felt so vast and WXL felt so miniscule - as if a wave could swallow "him" at any time. This is the point when WXL holds XL's hand tightly.

(5) XL suddenly stopped walking along the surface of the ocean and stared towards the East. This is when WXL inches closer to XL. To me, it seems natural when changing from "walking together holding hands" to "standing together holding hands" to move closer together into a more comfortable position. 

-----

As for the suggestion that XL betray Gong Gong to join the Yellow Emperor, did WXL know the suggestion would anger XL? I'm not sure that "he" did. Certainly not to the extent that it ended up angering him. WXL didn't really understand his response until chapter 5, when "he" apologized. And then XL went and called Gong Gong a pathetic idiot in chapter 7. 

And that suggestion wasn't the first thing "he" said when XL didn't respond to "his" comment about views only having meaning to WXL if there was someon accompanying "him" When XL didn't respond, WXL noticed that his eyes were closed and there was exhaustion in his brow. So "he" asked XL, again, about him being in a bad mood. When XL didn't say anything, it seems like "he" guessed that XL's bad mood was related to the army and "he" started to speculate about it based on the information "he" had and "he" thought perhaps "he" could convince XL to cut ties with the army and switch sides - removing the source of his bad mood and putting him on WXL's family's side of the war instead of "his" family's enemy's side. XL's difficulty would be resolved and WXL would be in less danger if XL ever found out about "his" true identity. It would be a win-win. But, unexpectedly, XL (who was previously uncharactersticially gentle with her that evening) reacted to "his" suggestion with anger and violence. 

All in all, I think there are plausible interpretations of chapter 4 where all of WXL's words and actions can be explained even if "he" didn't have romantic feelings for XL at this point, or had them but wasn't aware of them or wasn't trying to act on them. 

-----

Chapter 4:

The condor Furball swooped towards them close to the river’s surface and Xiang Liu stared at them with an amused expression. Xiao Liu immediately stood up and walked forward, not even turning his head around while telling Shi Qi, “You go back first!” Shi Qi was worried and didn’t want to go at first, but then he remembered the imprint of a kiss on the inside of the collar and he lowered his head and silently left.

Xiao Liu stood in the water and looked up at Xiang Liu. “Coming to give a wedding present?” To remind me that there is one more hostage?

Furball flew lower and Xiang Liu reached out his hand. Xiao Liu grabbed his hand and vaulted on the back of the condor before they were suddenly in the clouds. Xiao Liu pressed against the condor’s back and looked down. Furball was flying low so Xiao Liu could see the view on land until they flew over the ocean. Furball was so happy he was crowing and twirling in the air. Xiao Liu’s spiritual powers were quite low so he gripped the back tightly with his face ashen. He said to Xiang Liu, “I would rather you killed me by sucking all my blood dry than by falling to my death.”

Xiang Liu asked, “Why are your spiritual powers so low?”

“That evil fox wanted to not waste my powers so he used medicine to suck it out of me and then slowly drip it through my blood so its better when he eats me.”

Xiang Liu laughed. “I heard the pain of getting the powers sucked out is like having one’s bones stripped. Looks like those 40 lashes were too soft, I need to find a new torture method.”

Xiao Liu’s face was white. “Do you think it’s like singing, one gets better with more practice? Because it was so painful back then, that is why I’m more afraid of any pain than anyone!”

Xiang Liu patted Furball who immediately stopped teasing and started flying properly. Xiao Liu let out a sigh of relief and went back to sitting properly. Furball was flying slow and evenly while Xiang Liu looked out at the horizon, his face like the still water, without any emotion. Xiao Liu asked, “You’re in a bad mood?”

Xiang Liu quietly asked, “Those thirty years you were locked up in that cage. How did you endure it?”

“In the beginning I wanted to escape. I would yell, try to upset it. Later I stopped and just silently refused to cooperate. I tried to kill myself many times but never succeeded. Finally I gave up and tried to find joy in my situation. I would make bets with myself as to what nasty new thing the evil fox would bring. I loathed him and hated him with every fiber of my being. I started collecting materials to try and make a poison, thinking that when he ate me I would eat the poison first and poison him to death.”

Xiao Liu scooted closer to Xiang Liu. “But a person’s heart is strange. Happiness or sorrow, it’s all relative. If a person had only one biscuit a day but then saw beggars frozen on the street, he would feel happy because he wasn’t as bad off. But if he saw all his friends get rich then he would feel sorry that his life was terrible. Do you really need me to get into more detail about my horrific past? I can consider embellishing so that you’ll think it’s not just horrible, it’s the worst ever!”

Xiang Liu raised his hand to smack Xiao Liu who immediately closed his eyes and curled up like a beaten animal’s automatic reaction to anticipating more pain. Xiang Liu’s hand lowered and he put it on Xiao Liu’s neck. Xiao Liu saw that he didn’t hit or bite and felt a bit bolder. “You’re really different tonight. Did you grow up in the ocean?”

Xiang Liu didn’t answer and Furball descended until he was right up against the ocean surface. Xiang Liu got off the back of the condor and instead of falling in the water he was standing on the surface like it was land. He reached out his hand to Xiao Liu and he immediately grabbed it and slid off the condor. Furball was actually scared of water and immediately rose back into the air.

Xiang Liu strolled along the waves with Xiao Liu. There wasn’t a sliver of light, the ocean was pitch black, there was nothing ahead of them, there was nothing behind them. The world was so vast and Xiao Liu felt so miniscule as if a wave could swallow him at any time. He grabbed Xiang Liu’s hand tightly.

Xiang Liu suddenly stopped and Xiao Liu didn’t know why but he didn’t ask any questions. He inched closer to Xiang Liu and kept him company staring out towards the East. After some time, a moon rose from the edge of the ocean and the quiet beauty was so powerful that Xiao Liu felt the hard shell around his heart soften. In the sound of the ocean waves, Xiang Liu’s voice spoke, “As long as there are such sights in this world, then life is very precious.”

Xiao Liu nattered, “The most precious of sights will get old after seeing it too much. Only if someone views it with me. Views are dead, only if a person can appreciate it then the view has meaning.”

It wasn’t clear whether Xiang Liu heard what Xiao Liu said, but he didn’t respond. The most beautiful view had passed and Xiang Liu summoned Furball to take them back. Xiang Liu closed his eyes and there was exhaustion in his brows. Xiao Liu asked, “Why are you in a bad mood?”

Xiang Liu ignored him so Xiao Liu just spoke out loud, “Since Little Zhu Rong took over running the Middle Plains, I hear the Middle Plains are starting to be well managed. The Yellow Emperor will eventually deal with General Gong Gong. The power structure in this world can’t be reversed, and definitely not by the will of one person. I suggest you take off sooner rather than later. Actually, you’re just a demon, and a loathsome nine-headed one at that. With those snobbish Gods of the Sheng Nong tribe, in their eyes you are……you are less than nothing. Why do you have to worry about the Sheng Nong rebel army. What can you get by following General Gong Gong? Do you like power? Then why don’t you betray Gong Gong and cast your lot with the Yellow Emperor……….”

Xiang Liu opened his eyes and they were blood red with a demon glare. Xiao Liu was shaken by his glance like his entire body was paralyzed and blood began to drop from his nostrils and his fingertips. “I… wrong! - wrong!” Xiang Liu closed his eyes and Xiao Liu’s body toppled forward onto the condor’s back like a used rag. When they were almost back at Qing Shui Town, Xiao Liu sat up and wiped the blood away before wordlessly falling off the side into the river.

Xiao Liu floated down the river and let the water rinse away all traces of blood. Xiao Liu looked at the full moon above as it shone on the entire land.

solarlunareclipse:
combined with her daydreaming while tearing lotus leaves (he loves me, he loves me not)

Can you remind me when this happened? I'm forgetting. 

solarlunareclipse:
her using Chuan Zi's marriage as an excuse to seek out Xiang Liu after she hadn't seen him in several months (although she knew full well it wasn't his style to block the wedding),

solarlunareclipse:
yes it's all open to interpretation, but holistically, to me, they suggest that WXL was aware of his romantic attraction towards XL.

But WXL didn't seek XL out in that scene because "he" had romantic feelings for XL and was aware of them. 

I thought the text was very clear. After tormenting and infuriating XL in chapter 3, WXL hid from XL for days and then spent the next few months praying that XL would be kept so busy that he wouldn't think of WXL. But after several months, Mao Qiu showed up in WXL's room and WXL knew "his" time of avoiding XL and trying to wait for his anger to diminish was up. So WXL used Chuan Zi's marriage concerns as an excuse to set up a meeting in a neutral location so "he" could proactively diffuse XL's remaning anger. That way WXL could resolve the situation and would no longer have to worry about dealing with XL's anger in less favourable circumstances when they met again in the future. 

-----

Chapter 3:

Xiao Liu flipped off the pallet and cocked his head to stare at Xiang Liu. “I’m leaving, no need to come look for me. I’m going to disappear for a few days until your temper dies down. When you remember my good side then I’ll be back.” Xiao Liu grabbed some snacks from the kitchen and was about to leave when he saw Shi Qi.

Xiao Liu just finished tormenting Xiang Liu and was in a very good mood so waved a greeting to Shi Qi with a bright smile. Shi Qi hurried up his footsteps and there was a twinkle in his eye until he noticed the teeth marks on Xiao Liu’s neck. For all intents and purposes it looked like a mark left by a kiss. Shi Qi’s eyes darted to Xiao Liu’s room and the twinkle disappeared from his eyes. Xiao Liu told Shi Qi, “Xiang Liu is in my room. Don’t bother him and let him rest. He’ll leave when he wakes up. I have some things to do so I need to leave. Tell Lao Mu not to look for me.”

Xiao Liu left without waiting for Shi Qi to respond, thinking to himself where to hide so that the big demon couldn’t find him. Where do I normally never go? As he thought and walked he ended up sneaking into the pretty boy’s wine shop.

Xiao Liu drank his wine “I’m going home.”

Xuan said “I’ll walk you out.” Xiao Liu stood up and Xuan walked him out. “Come by when you have time.” “Okay, you go back, no need to accompany me any further.”

Xiao Liu ran back in a jiffy and flipped the wall into the courtyard then slipped into his room and closed the door. A person stood up from the edge of the pallet and Xiao Liu was so startled his back was to the door.

It was death laying down or standing up so might as well get it over with. Xiao Liu closed his eyes and shook “I…..I….was wrong!”

Like a cat, using the gentlest voice to cajole an owner’s forgiveness, hoping Xiang Liu would remember his ability to make poisons and also that his blood was healing, then perhaps he wouldn’t be beaten half to death. Except….after a few moments, there was still no movement.

Xiao Liu’s heart was pounding furiously and finally he couldn’t take it anymore and opened his eyes. It. Was. Shi. Qi!

Xiao Liu was furious! He was so scared out of his wits! He pointed at Shi Qi and wagged his finger “You….you…..how come it’s you?” Shi Qi’s face was ashen and he voice despondent, “I’m sorry you were disappointed.”

“What are you doing in my room?”

-----

Chapter 4:

Inside his room, Xiao Liu laid on his pallet with his legs up looking at his precious little mirror and giggling. The image inside the mirror was all his glorious handiwork that night. He drew nine heads on Xiang Liu’s face and his icy eyes were glaring at him like daggers.

Xiao Liu stared at the mirror and flicked Xiang Liu’s head. “Go ahead and rage! Go ahead and rage!” After he was done flicking, he wiped the mirror and it returned to its original state.

Xiao Liu tucked the mirror away and put his hands behind his head. After that night, many months had passed and Xiang Liu never showed up again. So many people were looking to take him down so it’s normal for him not to appear. If he did appear Xiao Liu would feel like his life had reached the end. So Xiao Liu prayed every day for more people to be looking to take him down. Make his life so busy that he completely forgot about Qing Shui Town and one Wen Xiao Liu.

But, now……aish!

A little white condor that was the astral projection of the giant white flying condor Furball came flying in through the window and haughtily landed in front of Xiao Liu. Xiao Liu spoke to it, “Seeing you so puffed up, I just want to pluck all your feathers off, roast your right side, stew your left side, and after eating all of you throw your bones to the dogs.”

Furball charged Xiao Liu who grabbed his head and rolled under the pallet. “Tell your master I need to see him. It’s something important.” Furball glared angrily at Xiao Liu before spreading his wings and flying into the night. Xiao Liu felt it a bad idea to meet Xiang Liu in the room. The same environment may cause him to remember the insult last time and he’ll easily get enraged.

Xiao Liu left the house and walked upstream with the river until he left Qing Shui Town and entered a deep dense forest. He saw a tree as thick as it would require 5-6 men to encircle it and climbed up that tree and found a comfortable spot and sat down.

The tree was very high and Xiao Liu could see far from the vantage point. The winding river glowed silver in the moonlight and if it wasn’t the middle of the Winter with the blustery wind blowing then the view would be perfect.

He’s here!

Xiao Liu raised his head and a white condor carrying Xiang Liu dove down from the center of the moon. White hair, white robe, flying down from the sky like falling snow, he softly landed beside Xiao Liu.

Xiao Liu said, “Three choices. Whip me 40 times. Kick me off from here. Or listen to me say something important. Important!”

Xiang Liu released him. “The important thing?”

“Does the brothel on Dong Gui street belong to you guys?”

“Why are you asking?”

“Chuan Zi wants a prostitute from there.”

“You want to ask me to help you secure her freedom?”

“Does that brothel belong to you guys? I guess not. It doesn’t seem like the way you operate anyways.” Xiao Liu smiled and a light glinted in his eye. “No need to help me, I’ll go ask another person for help.”

The white condor Furball flew back and was circling overhead. Xiang Liu lightly leaped up and landed on the condor’s back. “This was your important business?”

“Er…..Chuan Zi’s marriage is important………..Ah——”

Xiao Liu’s branch suddenly snapped in half and he fell, slamming through various other branches and causing Xiao Liu to start spitting up blood. Wham, Xiao Liu finally landed on the ground as a swirl of dirt blew up around him.

Furball was so happy and circling low overhead to mock Xiao Liu. Xiang Liu stood on his back with a smile, “You are the snake egg that anyone can eat.” Furball rose higher and Xiang Liu left.

Xiao Liu waited a few moments before slowly sitting up. His head was spinning and he couldn’t see straight and his legs hurt so much he couldn’t walk. The startled chipmunk peered out at him and Xiao Liu smiled. “What’cha looking at? Looking at me being made a fool? I didn’t get to be a fool for nothing, I traded something small for something big. The next time I see that big demon he won’t be looking to wring my neck…..”

solarlunareclipse:
her flirting with him by saying she had washed up super clean in preparation for seeing him (consenting to the neck bite in the tree)

I will address this one in a separate comment, as I think it will be a bit long.

solarlunareclipse:
her replaying the scene where she drew extra eyes on him in her gorilla beast mirror

I personally don't view WXL taking delight in tormenting XL / in "his" handiwork / in XL's rage as a sign that WXL both had, and was aware of having, romantic feelings for XL at this point. 

-----

Chapter 3:

Xiao Liu just finished tormenting Xiang Liu and was in a very good mood so waved a greeting to Shi Qi with a bright smile. 

-----

Chapter 4:

Inside his room, Xiao Liu laid on his pallet with his legs up looking at his precious little mirror and giggling. The image inside the mirror was all his glorious handiwork that night. He drew nine heads on Xiang Liu’s face and his icy eyes were glaring at him like daggers.

Xiao Liu stared at the mirror and flicked Xiang Liu’s head. “Go ahead and rage! Go ahead and rage!” After he was done flicking, he wiped the mirror and it returned to its original state.

Xiao Liu tucked the mirror away and put his hands behind his head. After that night, many months had passed and Xiang Liu never showed up again. So many people were looking to take him down so it’s normal for him not to appear. If he did appear Xiao Liu would feel like his life had reached the end. So Xiao Liu prayed every day for more people to be looking to take him down. Make his life so busy that he completely forgot about Qing Shui Town and one Wen Xiao Liu.

solarlunareclipse:
her willingness to put her life on the line to help him get medicine

By the time Xuan stole the medicine that TSJ had procured for XL, WXL had gotten closer to XL (in a way that wasn't necessarily romantic at that point - but at least "he" now at least hoped that XL wouldn't die when he faced off with Xuan) and had been moved by the struggle and plight of the Shengnong remnant soliders to the point of hoping that TSJ would deliver the medicine sooner. 

Based on WXL's own words, it also seemed that WXL wanted to avoid a situation that might lead to Xuan, TSJ or XL getting hurt, and may have felt some level of responsibility for the situation as WXL was the one who told XL that Xuan was the one who stole the medicine. 

So I think it is possible to view WXL's willingness to put "himself" at risk in order to blackmail Xuan into returning the medicine to XL as not necessarily indicating that WXL had, and was aware of having, romantic feelings for XL.

-----

Chapter 5:

The wheels of history were already turning but they remained stubbornly rooted in place, with their arms outstretched trying to turn the wheels back. But they were people that time has forgotten, they are going against the tide, and they were destined to be obliterated. Xiao Liu knew they were foolish, and felt pity for them, but he also couldn’t help but feel respect towards them.

In this moment, Xiao Liu suddenly realized why his last mocking question to Xiang Liu about why he worked for Gong Gong doing pointless things, to suggest that he betray Gong Gong and throw his lot with the Yellow Emperor, that question would cause Xiang Liu to fly into a dark rage. In this world, there was a determination that may be destroyed, may be annihilated, but can never be mocked!

Xiang Liu slowly walked back with the sorrowful song lingering behind him. Xiao Liu leaned against the door and watched him walk in the blood red sunset, his white hair and white robe still pristine and untouched. Xiang Liu stopped in front of Xiao Liu, his cold gaze containing a measure of disdain, but it wasn’t clear if it was meant for the world or for himself.

Xiao Liu suddenly bowed. “I wanted to apologize for what I said last time.” Xiang Liu was expressionless as he entered the house. “If the medicine comes sooner, they can live a bit longer. They are warriors. If they are to die, it ought to be in front of the Yellow Emperor’s army.”

Xiao Liu silently sat in the corner and genuinely started to pray that Jing would hurry up with the medicine.

In the middle of the night, when Xiao Liu was fast asleep, he suddenly startled awake. Xiang Liu was standing next to his pallet, still white hair white robe, but his hair was slightly mussed and his white robe slightly dirty.

“You’re injured again?” Xiao Liu sighed, sitting up and pulling down his collar. Xiang Liu didn’t bother with niceties, pulling Xiao Liu close and biting down to drink his blood. Xiao Liu laughed “You’re lucky to have a wonder medicine chest like me. But your….” Xiao Liu suddenly realized “Did you get the medicine? Did someone sneak attack you?”

Xiang Liu raised his head. “No, someone from the Tu Shan clan leaked the location where the medicine was hidden.” “It can’t be Tu Shan Jing.” “I know it’s not him.” “Then who is it?” “How would I know? You should go ask him!” “Do you know who stole the medicine?” “No.” “How come you don’t know anything?”

“It’s the same group that injured me last time. They arrive very fast, leave very fast, I worry there is a traitor in the mountains but still haven’t discovered any proof.”

Xiao Liu smacked his own head and wanted to sigh to the Heavens. “Why such a crowd!”

Xiang Liu was much too smart and immediately asked, “You know who it is?” Xiao Liu smiled wanly. “You first let me think.” Xiang Liu’s hands went around his throat, “This concerns the lives of thousands of soldiers, it’s not one of your loneliness dispelling games!”

Xiao Liu thought and made up his mind. “It’s Xuan who runs the wine shop.” Xiang Liu let him go and was about to leave when Xiao Liu grabbed him tightly. “You can’t snatch, he has a lot of subordinates. Plus he ought to have close ties with the Tu Shan clan. If this gets big, the Tu Shan clan will side with him.” Xiang Liu tossed his hand aside and Xiao Liu added, “I have a way to avoid bloodshed and get the medicine back.”

Xiang Liu stopped and turned around. Xiao Liu jumped off the pallet and pulled on a robe, “Xuan has a little sister cousin called Ah Nian. Xuan’s very smart and also very protective of this little sister. It’s hard to one up Xuan, but it’s easy to capture Ah Nian. Use Ah Nian to exchange for the medicine. When we get the medicine back, Xuan gets his sister back. No one will need to fight.”

Xiang Liu thought about it. “Fine.” The two walked out and Xiao Liu said, “You go distract Xuan and I’ll go capture Ah Nian.” “I don’t have a lot of men and can only give you four.” “You can’t be giving me all the men you’ve got? You’re injured so keep two. Xuan isn’t easy to deal with.”

Xiang Liu ignored him and vaulted on Furball. Four masked men on winged rides appeared and Xiang Liu ordered them, “Until I get back, listen to his orders.” “Yes!” The four men lined up and one flew down to pick Xiao Liu up before they all flew up into the clouds. Xiang Liu left on Furball and Xiao Liu called out, “Nine-headed demon, don’t die!” It wasn’t clear whether Xiang Liu heard it but soon he was gone from sight.

solarlunareclipse:
the acceptance of the PLBs

I agree that this (the fact that the poisonous Lovers Bug was successfully transferred from CX and planted in XL) demonstrates that XL and WXL must have had love in their hearts for each other by chapter 7 (since the Lovers Bug was successfully planted in XL and the Lovers Bugs did not turn into Heartbreak Bugs), and that XL was clearly aware of his feelings (since XL knew the criteria required for the transfer). 

But I don't think WXL was necessarily aware of "his" feelings for XL at this point. It's possible that "he" was, but "his" thoughts and behaviour make me think that "he" wasn't. 

solarlunareclipse:
Also, this event, combined with her daydreaming while tearing lotus leaves (he loves me, he loves me not), her using Chuan Zi's marriage as an excuse to seek out Xiang Liu after she hadn't seen him in several months (although she knew full well it wasn't his style to block the wedding), her flirting with him by saying she had washed up super clean in preparation for seeing him (consenting to the neck bite in the tree), her replaying the scene where she drew extra eyes on him in her gorilla beast mirror, her willingness to put her life on the line to help him get medicine, and the acceptance of the PLBs--yes it's all open to interpretation, but holistically, to me, they suggest that WXL was aware of his romantic attraction towards XL.

solarlunareclipse:
After the 1st time, when XL drank XY's blood in retaliation for her poking fun at his nine heads, there was always consent for the intimacy. When XL came to WXL's room injured, WXL consented to XL drinking his blood to heal. When WXL sought out XL (using Chuan Zi's marriage as an excuse) after months without seeing him, the two consented to physical intimacy for the sake of being physically intimate.

Xiang Liu asked “Did you bathe?”

Xiao Liu was still cheeky “Bathed super clean, just waiting for my lord to arrive.”

Xiang Liu’s hand grabbed Xiao Liu’s shoulder and he lowered his head. Xiao Liu docilely tipped back his neck and when Xiang Liu’s sharp fang pierced his skin and started drinking his blood, Xiao Liu didn’t close his eyes and instead looked at the moon.

-- Vol 1 Ch 4 (Chapter 4)

It's not that XL couldn't see for himself whether WXL's neck was clean. Besides, WXL having a clean neck never particularly bothered XL before. He asked whether WXL bathed because he was flirting with WXL and because he wanted to get WXL's consent to be physically intimate.

I'll adress two items here. 

(1) Was WXL definitely flirting with XL when she said that she had bathed super clean in preparation for seeing him in the tree in chapter 4?

(2) Why did WXL accept the neck bite in the tree in chapter 4?

------

For the first item, I personally do not read WXL being cheeky with XL (by saying stuff like "Bathed super clean!") as flirting exactly. It's something close to flirting, but IMO not quite flirting. 

WXL being cheeky and a bit ridiculous with XL goes all the way back to their first meeting in chapter 2. I don't see this moment of cheekiness as being much different than all the other things that WXL does to joke with / annoy XL. Like teasing XL by speculating about the arrangement of his heads or drawing on his face with coal. Even though it annoys him in the moment, it also puts XL at ease in the long run I think (as evidenced by his thoughts in chapter 48). And in this scene WXL is trying to diffuse XL's remaining anger from their previous encounter, so some light-hearted teasing suits WXL's purpose. 

I also think the "Have you bathed?" / "Bathed super clean!" lines are a call back to their exchange in their previous meeting when XL mouthed, "I will devour you" to WXL and WXL (whose fingers were black from the coal that "he" rubbed on XL's face) told XL that he could go ahead and eat if he didn't mind the dirtiness. 

It's almost like XL is saying, "Have you reflected on what you did? Are you now prepared to face your punishment?" and WXL is responding, "I have reflected and I am prepared to face my punishment." But it's cheeky and sort of teasing. Sort of an inside joke. But, IMO, not flirting. 

So I don't view that exchange as evidence that WXL was aware of "his" developing romantic feelings for XL or that "he" was acting on those feelings. 

-----

Chapter 2:

A soldier’s voice called out, “Sir, someone has stormed the barracks.”

Xiang Liu took off and the noise stopped. Xiao Liu heard a soldier ask, “Who are you and why have you stormed the Sheng Nong army base?” A scratchy voice replied, “Ye Shi Qi. Xiao Liu.”

It’s Shi Qi! He came? Xiao Liu crawled outside and yelled, “My lord Xiang Liu, please don’t harm him! He’s my servant and came to find me.”

Shi Qi ran towards Xiao Liu and his spiritual energy was stronger than expected because he deflected all the soldiers trying to stop him. But these were trained soldiers and if he took down two then four more would step up. So Xiao Liu yelled, “Shi Qi, stop! That’s an order.”

Shi Qi stopped and the soldiers encircled him and glared, but Shi Qi didn’t even look at them and only stared at Xiang Liu. “I. am taking. Xiao Liu.”

Xiao Liu tried to look alluring and yelled, “My lord! I am already your person!” Those words… caused all the soldiers at the base to grimace.

Xiang Liu furrowed his brow but lowered his hand and the soldiers parted. Shi Qi flew to Xiao Liu’s side and half carried, half propped him up. Shi Qi’s hand gently passed over Xiao Liu’s back. Perhaps it was mental comfort but Xiao Liu actually felt some pain lessen. Shi Qi knelt down. “Let’s go home.”

Xiao Liu crawled on Shi Qi’s back, smiled cheekily at Xiang Liu, and said, “My lord, I’m going home now.”

Xiang Liu kept staring at Shi Qi and Xiao Liu got nervous and actually grabbed Shi Qi’s face like a child would and yelled, “Don’t you get any ideas about him. He’s mine.”

Xiang Liu was startled and was about to smile but stopped himself. He coughed a few times. “After investigating and confirming you are a citizen of Qing Shui Town and not a threat to the Sheng Nong army, you are free to leave.”

Xiao Liu continued the charade and said, “Thank you my lord, after I return I will be sure to spread word of my lord’s vast kindness.”

The soldiers left and Shi Qi carried Xiao Liu on his back and rushed off. 

“Shi Qi, that Xiang Liu is very devious. If you see him in the future, be careful. Don’t let him discover that you have any use for him. Then he’ll get ideas about you.” “Yes.”

Nnnnnggggg, this time is such a failure! Didn’t earn the money and lost himself. How did I get spotted by that big demon Xiang Liu? What will the days ahead be like?

Shi Qi slowed down and turned to look at Xiao Liu and his lips touched Xiao Liu’s forehead. His hot breath brushed over Xiao Liu’s face and Shi Qi stiffly turned. “Don’t… be scared.”

Perhaps it was because he was just tormented by Xiang Liu. Or because his hard shell that was forcibly opened wasn’t fully shut yet. But Xiao Liu really craved this feeling of reliance and he closed his eyes and rested his head on Shi Qi’s shoulder and his head was pressed to Shi Qi’s neck. He was like a cat curled up against him. “I’m not scared of him. I don’t believe there is a poison in this world that won’t fell him. When I create that poison one day, I will…” Xiao Liu used his hand to make a fist crushing something.

Chuan Zi suddenly rushed inside and stammered “A……a guest.” He dragged Xiao Liu outside and there was Xiang Liu, dressed all in white, standing at the front door of the clinic. His tall frame was as spotless as a white lily that has been washed by rain water for three days straight. So clean it made one want to run home and immediately take a bath.

Lao Mu didn’t feel right to receive his gift and kept wiping his hands on his robe, afraid that even his sweat would dirty his body. Xiao Liu smirked and walked forward, tossing the drumstick on the ground and used his two oily hands to take the gift from Xiang Liu and even dared to rub his palm on his hand a few times. Xiang Liu’s smile never wavered and merely shot a glance at Chuan Zi standing behind Xiao Liu and immediately Xiao Liu wised up. He handed the gift to Chuan Zi and immediately bowed to Xiang Liu and said saucily, “Please come inside for a rest.”

Xiang Liu looked at Xiao Liu who happily poured some wine for Xiang Liu, “Since you are here, have some wedding wine that I made myself.”

Xiang Liu took a sip and casually remarked, “Other than the poison there is nothing worth mentioning in this wine.” Xiao Liu asked with concern, “Are you poisoned?” Xiang Liu stared at Xiao Liu and he shut up. Xiang Liu asked, “Do you really want to poison me to death?”

Xiao Liu answered honestly, “I am not a soldier in the Xuan Yuan army, you and I don’t have a blood feud. I just want to whip you 80 to 100 times.”

“Dream on in this lifetime.” Xiang Liu took another drink of the wine and then left.

Xiao Liu said in an angry huff to Shi Qi, “One day I’ll find his weakness. If I can’t poison him then I’ll walk backwards.”

After Ma Zi’s wedding, Nine Lives Xiang Liu would occasionally come and sit in the clinic courtyard and drink a few cups of Xiao Liu’s wine and nibble on a few of Xiao Liu’s snacks. When he left his face never even changed expressions and his heartbeat never once skipped a beat. Xiang Liu’s very attitude of not taking Xiao Liu seriously is exactly what pissed Xiao Liu off.

When Xiao Liu entered the medical profession, it all began with the wrong intentions. He wanted to learn to kill someone and not to learn to save someone. Yet here was Xiang Liu eating his poison like candy! Xiao Liu thought and thought and decided to keep on learning, learning how to kill someone. He vowed to keep walking down the wrong path with the goal of poisoning this big demon sooner or later!

-----

Chapter 3:

In the middle of the night, Xiao Liu climbed on top of Xiang Liu’s body and he opened his eyes. Xiao Liu grabbed his neck and laughed wildly. “You’re using your power to heal yourself, right? Don’t interrupt and stop now otherwise you’ll exacerbate your injury and may even lose all your powers and lose all thought.” Xiang Liu closed his eyes.

Xiao Liu slapped his left cheek. “How about I whip you 40 times?” Xiao Liu slapped his right cheek. “You stupid demon, you’re not afraid of pain. If I cut off your left arm you’ll probably roast it with your right arm and eat it.”

“Hee hee…..” Xiao Liu jumped off the pallet and ran to the kitchen to grab some coal from the stove. He slithered back to the room and jumped on the pallet and hooted, “Even you have a day like this! Don’t be angry and focus on healing your injury, don’t let me distract you!” Xiao Liu grabbed the coal and started carefully drawing over Xiang Liu’s face.

After Xiao Liu was done and approved of the results, he grabbed his precious mirror and put it in front of Xiang Liu’s face. “Take a look but don’t get mad and ruin your healing energy flow.” Xiang Liu opened his eyes which were sharper than knives but Xiao Liu was on a roll. “Look!”

Inside the mirror, under Xiang Liu’s left eye was three more eyes, under his right eye was three more eyes, and there was one more eye on his forehead. Xiao Liu counted, “One, two three……….a total of nine.”

Xiao Liu used his blackened fingers to rub those eyes until they became heads and he turned nine eyes into nine heads. Xiang Liu stared at him and Xiao Liu furrowed his brows. “I really can’t imagine what nine heads looks like. One of these days you have to show me your true form!” Xiang Liu’s lips moved and he wordlessly mouthed, “I am going to devour you.”

Xiao Liu used his dirty fingers to rub on his lips. “If you don’t mind it being so dirty then go ahead and eat!”

Xiao Liu flipped off the pallet and cocked his head to stare at Xiang Liu. “I’m leaving, no need to come look for me. I’m going to disappear for a few days until your temper dies down. When you remember my good side then I’ll be back.” Xiao Liu grabbed some snacks from the kitchen and was about to leave when he saw Shi Qi.

Xiao Liu just finished tormenting Xiang Liu and was in a very good mood so waved a greeting to Shi Qi with a bright smile. 

-----

Chapter 4:

Inside his room, Xiao Liu laid on his pallet with his legs up looking at his precious little mirror and giggling. The image inside the mirror was all his glorious handiwork that night. He drew nine heads on Xiang Liu’s face and his icy eyes were glaring at him like daggers.

Xiao Liu stared at the mirror and flicked Xiang Liu’s head “Go ahead and rage! Go ahead and rage!” After he was done flicking, he wiped the mirror and it returned to its original state. It appeared just a bit more ornate than an ordinary mirror but there was no sign that it contained anything from the past.

Xiao Liu tucked the mirror away and put his hands behind his head. After that night, many months had passed and Xiang Liu never showed up again. So many people were looking to take him down so it’s normal for him not to appear. If he did appear Xiao Liu would feel like his life had reached the end. So Xiao Liu prayed every day for more people to be looking to take him down. Make his life so busy that he completely forgot about Qing Shui Town and one Wen Xiao Liu.

But, now……aish!

A little white condor that was the astral projection of the giant white flying condor Furball came flying in through the window and haughtily landed in front of Xiao Liu. Xiao Liu spoke to it “Seeing you so puffed up, I just want to pluck all your feathers off, roast your right side, stew your left side, and after eating all of you throw your bones to the dogs.”

Furball charged Xiao Liu who grabbed his head and rolled under the pallet “Tell your master I need to see him. It’s something important.” Furball glared angrily at Xiao Liu before spreading his wings and flying into the night. Xiao Liu felt it a bad idea to meet Xiang Liu in the room. The same environment may cause him to remember the insult last time and he’ll easily get enraged.

He’s here!

Xiao Liu raised his head and a white condor carrying Xiang Liu dove down from the center of the moon. White hair, white robe, flying down from the sky like falling snow, he softly landed beside Xiao Liu.

Xiao Liu said, “Three choices. Whip me 40 times. Kick me off from here. Or listen to me say something important. Important!”

Xiang Liu asked, “Did you bathe?”

Xiao Liu was still cheeky. “Bathed super clean, just waiting for my lord to arrive.”

Xiang Liu’s hand grabbed Xiao Liu’s shoulder and he lowered his head. Xiao Liu docilely tipped back his neck and when Xiang Liu’s sharp fang pierced his skin and started drinking his blood, Xiao Liu didn’t close his eyes and instead looked at the moon.

Xiang Liu wasn’t holding back and Xiao Liu gradually felt lightheaded. “Are you planning to suck me dry all at once? Even if you have nine heads, I didn’t hear that you had nine stomachs! Can’t you save some for next time?”

Xiang Liu’s lips were still on Xiao Liu’s neck and were right next to the artery that led straight to the heart. “When do you think I should bite down right here? Tonight?”

Xiao Liu immediately countered, “Not tonight since it’s too pretty out. Killing me is such a mood-ruining thing to do. Wait for the day when I really want to kill you.”

“You don’t want to kill me?”

Xiao Liu smiled. “No! You clearly know I don’t want to kill you, and I won’t kill you.”

“I don’t know. All I know is that you ought to hate me.”

“You don’t know and you dared to come see me while still nursing your injury? You really see me as a harmless bunny rabbit? Or are your nine brains fighting with each other and now you’re stupid because none of them work?”

Xiang Liu leaned in, clearly to continue his meal, so Xiao Liu quickly added, “Because I’m lonely!” Xiang Liu’s lips pressed against his neck and didn’t move.

“No matter if you believe me or not, but I really don’t hate you at all and don’t want to kill you. Because I’m very lonely. I developed a strange tic when I was hiding in the deep mountains and went many years without encountering another person. I caught a monkey and started talking to it all day long. The monkey tried to escape and when it couldn’t it actually hit its head against the cave wall and committed suicide. Later on, I encountered a snake that wanted to eat me and almost bit off my leg. But it could understand what I was saying and reacted to whatever I said. knew it was dangerous but I couldn’t help myself and would constantly go prance around in front of it. It was so furious it almost went insane. Having it around, it wasn’t so lonely in the mountains anymore.” Xiao Liu laughed. “After some time, he discovered I was super sneaky and wanted to leave but I wouldn’t let it and kept bothering it so it kept trying to kill me.”

Xiang Liu was silent for a moment and his hand was massaging Xiao Liu’s neck. “Am I the snake to help alleviate your loneliness?”

Xiao Liu smiled. “Who knows? Perhaps I’m the snake who is amusing you.”

Xiang Liu released him. “The important thing?”

“Does the brothel on Dong Gui street belong to you guys?”

“Why are you asking?”

“Chuan Zi wants a prostitute from there.”

“You want to ask me to help you secure her freedom?”

“Does that brothel belong to you guys? I guess not. It doesn’t seem like the way you operate anyways.” Xiao Liu smiled and a light glinted in his eye. “No need to help me, I’ll go ask another person for help.”

The white condor Furball flew back and was circling overhead. Xiang Liu lightly leaped up and landed on the condor’s back. “This was your important business?”

“Er…..Chuan Zi’s marriage is important………..Ah——”

Xiao Liu’s branch suddenly snapped in half and he fell, slamming through various other branches and causing Xiao Liu to start spitting up blood. Wham, Xiao Liu finally landed on the ground as a swirl of dirt blew up around him.

Furball was so happy and circling low overhead to mock Xiao Liu. Xiang Liu stood on his back with a smile “You are the snake egg that anyone can eat.” Furball rose higher and Xiang Liu left.

Xiao Liu waited a few moments before slowly sitting up. His head was spinning and he couldn’t see straight and his legs hurt so much he couldn’t walk. The startled chipmunk peered out at him and Xiao Liu smiled. “What’cha looking at? Looking at me being made a fool? I didn’t get to be a fool for nothing, I traded something small for something big. The next time I see that big demon he won’t be looking to wring my neck…..”

The sun hadn’t even risen when Shi Qi tracked him down and found Xiao Liu curled up within a tangle of broken branches. He looked totally beaten up but was sleeping with a slight smile on his lips. Shi Qi knelt down and slowly picked off the leaves on his head and saw that there were two fresh bite marks on Xiao Liu’s neck. It was slightly hidden underneath his collar with the red teeth impression vaguely showing the imprint of a pair of lips.

-----

Chapter 48:

Xiang Liu waved his hand and Xiao Yao’s precious gorilla beast mirror flew from her arms into his hand. He stared at it for a long time and didn’t make any move.

Sir Bi stood to the side and silently and patiently looked on.

Xiang Liu smiled and explained to Sir Bi, “This is a gorilla mirror that’s saved some ancient stuff from the past. Not even sure if Xiao Yao already deleted it.” He waved his hand and the mirror clouded before clearly showing Xiang Liu’s face.

………………………………..

In a dingy room in Qing Shui Town, Xiang Liu was injured and couldn’t move. Xiao Yao snatched the opportunity to get revenge on Xiang Liu for being mean to her for so long. She used coal briquettes and drew seven eyes on Xiang Liu’s face, and together with his two eyes, it formed nine eyes so she could mock him for being a nine-headed demon.

At that time, Xiao Yao was holding the mirror with one hand so only her other hand was visible. Her voice was totally mocking as she said, “Take a good look, but don’t get mad otherwise you’ll interrupt the healing!”

Xiang Liu opened his eyes looking like he was going to kill her, but Xiao Yao wasn’t scared and instead rubbed the seven eyes while counting until she used her grubby charcoal hands to draw nine heads on Xiang Liu’s face. She cackled, “I still can’t imagine what nine heads look like, when are you going to show me your true form?”

Xiang Liu glared at Xiao Yao and silently mouthed, “I. Am. Going. To. Eat. You.”

Nine Lives Xiang Liu was renowned for being deadly, but with his face all blackened the scariness of his threat lessened immensely.

………………………………..

Xiang Liu watched to this part and then started laughing. From the moment he was born he didn’t have parents, and had to start surviving from that moment forward. He had no childhood or playmates or fun, and after he was an adult his reputation was so bad that no one dared to joke around with him. Xiao Yao was the first person who dared to play tricks on him, but do so without any real ill will or harmful intention.

Xiang Liu stared at his blackened face in the mirror for quite some time in a daze. Then he waved his hand and called forth the next memory.

-----

For the second item, I think that one reason that WXL accepts XL's bite in this scene is because "he" is trying to diffuse XL's temper, and allowing the bite helps acheive that goal. 

But chapter 5 revealed that there was another reason why WXL started to be compliant when XL bit "him".

-----

Chapter 5:

“What poison did you give him?”

Xiao Liu cautiously explained, “Actually, it’s not really a poison, it’s best described as voodoo. The voodoo magic is practiced by the Jiu Li tribe and is their secret learning. A few hundred years ago, the Jiu Li tribe had a voodoo king who was called the poison master of the great wilderness. The voodoo magic is considered evil stacked against mainstream medicine and poisons. People have heard of it but very few actually understand it.”

Xiao Liu explained, “In truth, I raised a voodoo bug inside of my body, and that bug is now in Xuan’s body. From now on, when my body hurts, his body will also experience the same pain.”

“That voodoo bug must not have been easy to raise.”

“Of course! Very hard to raise!” If it was easy to raise this magic would be all over the great wilderness. Even with Xiao Liu’s special body, it still took him years to raise it.

“Why raise a voodoo bug?”

Xiao Liu sighed. “It was all to control Xiang Liu that big demon! He is a nine-headed monster and not a single poison can take him down. So I thought of this great plan but before I had a chance to plant it in him, I ended up using it on Xuan.” Beasts are very instinctive and Xiao Liu was worried Xiang Liu would cotton on to the voodoo bug. He was so compliant when he needed to drink his blood so that one day the voodoo bug would unwittingly be planted into Xiang Liu’s body.

H19279:
There is a chapter that XY mentioned about Qing Qiu which in Middle Plain but she avoid to go there due to her hatred with the 9-tailed fox demon who probably came from Qing Qiu

Chapter 16:

Jing asked, “Have you ever been to Qing Qiu?”

“No, for a while I hated the Nine-tailed fox and legend has it the Nine-tailed fox came from Qing Qiu so I hated Qing Qiu as well. Twice I bypassed it.” Xiao Yao suddenly was very worried. “The Nine-tailed fox I killed, it wasn’t one of your relatives?”

“He probably was.” The Nine-tailed fox was very rare, and the few existing ones really were all relatives of the Tu Shan clan.

“What?” Xiao Yao’s mouth dropped open.

Jing couldn’t help but burst out laughing. “Relative or no relative, he had it coming based on what he did to you. Even if someone told my grandmother about it, you’re still in the right.”

Xiao Yao patted her chest. “You scared the daylights out of me!”

Jing gently said, “Actually, Qing Qiu is a lot of fun. After you reach Sheng Nong Mountain, I’ll take you to Qing Qiu to play.”

Xiao Yao said nothing and Jing started fretting. “Xiao Yao, you don’t want to come to the Middle Plains?”

Xiao Yao shook her head. “No.” She wandered the world all over, and due to her issues with the Yellow Emperor and the Grand Emperor, she mostly stayed in the Middle Plains and she loved it there.

H19279:
during the 37 years: XL fed XY blood via mouth contact.

Was this explicitly stated in the Mandarin text?

In Koala's translation, XL feeds his blood to XY via mouth-to-mouth in chapter 48, but the process is clearly different from the process he followed in chapter 22. And in chapter 22 it's not specified how he fed his blood to her during the 37 years of healing. 

AH :

Was this explicitly stated in the Mandarin text?

In Koala's translation, XL feeds his blood to XY via mouth-to-mouth in chapter 48, but the process is clearly different from the process he followed in chapter 22. And in chapter 22 it's not specified how he fed his blood to her during the 37 years of healing. 

The text says this:

又到了每月一次的疗伤日。

相柳抱住小夭,把自己的本命精血喂给小夭,用灵力把小夭的经脉全部游走了一遍,然后他咬破了小夭的脖子,把自己血液中带的毒吸了出来。

等疗伤结束,相柳并没有立即放开小夭,而是依旧拥着她。

半晌后,相柳轻轻地放下了小夭,抚着小夭的脸颊说:“小夭,希望你醒后,不会恨我。”

It was the day of the monthly healing again.

Xiang Liu held Xiao Yao in his arms, and fed her his essential life blood, then used his spiritual powers to move them through all of Xiao Yao's meridians. Then, he bit down on Xiao Yao's neck, and sucked out the poison from his own blood. 

When the healing process was complete, Xiang Liu did not let go of Xiao Yao, but continued to hold her in his arms.

After some time, Xiang Liu gently put her down, caressed her cheek and said, "Xiao Yao, I hope you will not hate me after you wake up."

-- Vol 2 Ch5  (Chapter 22)

There is no explicit description of him giving her the blood through mouth-to-mouth contact, but the description of how he fed her his essential life blood, mirrored how he saved her on Jade Mountain by biting down on his own tongue and feeding her his essential blood with his mouth:

相柳搂着小夭,盘腿坐在白色的海贝上,咬破舌尖将心头精血喂给小夭。情人蛊同命连心,只要一息尚存,精血交融,生机自会延续。 

Xiang Liu embraced Xiao Yao and sat cross-legged on the white seashell. He bit the tip of his own tongue, and fed his heart's essential blood to Xiao Yao. The Lover's bug joined hearts and shared lives/fates, as long as a breath still remained, life would be extended with the mingling of essential blood.

-- Vol 3 Ch15  (Chapter 48)

H19279:
Headquarter of Tushan clan was located in Qing Qiu which was 1 hour by flying horse from Zhi yi. In chapter 20 you can find the reference about the time when XY farewelled Jing to return  to Qing Qiu for new year festival.

In chapter 21, because of worrying for XY, Jing pushed the horse and it took him only half an hour (Chinese hour) to get to Little Zhurong's manson.

Qing Qiu is located in the middle of Shen Nong kingdom (meaning the Middle Plain)

Tushan clan did a lot of trading throughout the whole Dai Huang and they were the richest clan. They traded all parties and kingdoms and had strong connection to all other important clans.

Thank you for the info! I was too lazy to hunt for this in the book :)

Do you know where in the book it mentions Da Huang? From the context that I've seen it used, I assume it's the realm that includes the Middle Plains, Gao Xin, and Xuan Yuan.

So out of the Four Great Clans, Chi Shui and Tu Shan are from Middle Plains. What about the other two: Xi Ling and Gui Fang? I'm just wondering if it's the Four Great Clans of Da Huang or the Four Great Clans of the Middle Plains. Like to Gao Xin and Xuan Yuan have their own clans of equal importance to the Four Great Clans?

AH :
I think it's entirely possible for people to not be aware of their true feelings in fiction and in real life.

I googled it and it seems like people on the internet agree that you can like someone and not realize it. Since I've never liked someone without realizing it, I was projecting my own bias here. So I'll concede this that this is possible.

AH :
All in all, I think there are plausible interpretations of chapter 4 where all of WXL's words and actions can be explained even if "he" didn't have romantic feelings for XL at this point, or had them but wasn't aware of them or wasn't trying to act on them. 

I don't think we'll be able to find definitive proof one way or the other as to whether WXL had romantic feelings for XL at this point, and if he did, whether he was aware of them. As you pointed out, there's a whole lot of plausible deniability there.

My personal interpretation of the entire Qing Shui Town arc is that the two basically fall for each other at first sound/sight and senses that the other person is attracted to them right away. The two of them then keep going back and forth making deliberate and calculated bids on where they stand with the other person and upping the ante each time.

But yes, there are other valid ways to interpret this arc--including WXL being oblivious to his own feelings, XL's feelings, or both.

AH :
When they were almost back at Qing Shui Town, Xiao Liu sat up and wiped the blood away before wordlessly falling off the side into the river.

Xiao Liu floated down the river and let the water rinse away all traces of blood. Xiao Liu looked at the full moon above as it shone on the entire land.

^^^This scene is really sad though if you believe, like I do, that he did have feelings for XL at the time and made bids that night to see XL's willingness to have a relationship with him. Even though XL is consistently cruel to him Qing Sui Town, to me, this feels like the first time WXL was truly hurt by XL.  

AH :
Xiao Liu smiled. “What’cha looking at? Looking at me being made a fool? I didn’t get to be a fool for nothing, I traded something small for something big. The next time I see that big demon he won’t be looking to wring my neck…..”

^^^There's another interpretation for this statement other than WXL trying to placate XL's anger and possible revenge for the 9-eyes incident. I'll address it in a separate post some other time.

AH :
Can you remind me when this happened? I'm forgetting.

After Wen Xiao Liu draws nine eyes on Xiang Liu and records it in his gorilla beast mirror, he basks in the sun with a lotus leaf covering his eyes. He then tears the leaf into strips. This might be similar to tearing flower petals: he loves me, he loves me not…. It could be one of the first signs that Wen Xiao Liu is starting to daydream about Xiang Liu.

没有病人的时候,小六喜欢拿一片荷叶遮住眼睛,仰面躺在晒草药的草席上,双臂贴着耳朵往上伸展,双脚自然合并,脚尖往下。整个身体笔直得像一条线,想象中好似身体可以无限延展,那种筋骨撑拉的感觉,配上温暖的太阳、荷叶的清香,简直就像骨头饮了酒,小醉微醺的美妙。
When there were no patients, Xiao Liu liked to cover his eyes with a lotus leaf, lie on a straw mat used for drying herbs, face up, with his arms stretched upward, touching his ears, and his feet naturally together, toes pointing downward. His whole body was straight like a line and he imagined he could infinitely extend his body. The feeling of stretching his muscles and bones, accompanied by the warm sun and the fragrance of lotus leaves, was like the bones drinking wine, a delightful light intoxication.

小六拿下荷叶,一边看着十七,一边一下又一下,慢慢地把个圆圆的荷叶撕成了一条条。
Xiao Liu took off the lotus leaf and, while looking at Shi Qi, slowly tore the round lotus leaf into strips one after another.

— Vol 1 Ch 4 (Chapter 4)

Here's the link to my previous post on the lotus representing Xiang Liu: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=3032451&page=568#p3032451.

AH :
But I don't think WXL was necessarily aware of "his" feelings for XL at this point. It's possible that "he" was, but "his" thoughts and behaviour make me think that "he" wasn't. 

Just curious, putting aside plausible deniability, do you believe there is a point in the novel where WXL was most likely aware of his feelings for XL?

H19279:

Actually every 时辰 is 2 hours (a day has 12 时辰). So Zhi Yi to Qing Qiu would take 2 hours, 1 hour at best.

从轵邑到青丘,如果乘坐云辇的话,一个时辰就能到,驾驭坐骑飞行就更快了,小半个时辰而已。可璟离开那天,恰下着大雪,不能乘坐云辇,只能坐雪兽拉的车回去,至少要四五个时辰才能到。 

To travel from Zhi Yi to Qing Qiu would take two hours using a cloud carriage. It was even faster with a winged ride, requiring only about an hour. However, it was snowing heavily on the day Jing left, so he could not take a cloud carriage and was only able to take a snow beast-drawn carriage, which meant it would be at least eight to ten hours before he arrived.

-- Vol 2 Ch3  (Chapter 20)

I know we discussed this before but can you please refresh my memory. During the Plum Forest assassination, Xiang Liu rushed from the mountains in Qingshui town in the afternoon, and arrived Shen Nong mountain the following day. Do we have any indication how long it took him? It was definitely still day time (Feng Long only arrived middle of the night after that), but any indication whether it took him a day or less to rush all the way to the Middle Plains from Qingshui town? Seeing Xiang Liu was definitely rushing at full speed, a normal trip from Qingshui Town to the Middle Plains should take far longer than that. 

Do we also have any indication how long it normally took them to travel between the Middle Plains and Xuan Yuan City, and between Qingshui Town and Gao Xin?

@solarlunareclipse

"My personal interpretation of the entire Qing Shui Town arc is that the two basically fall for each other at first sound/sight and senses that the other person is attracted to them right away."

I am 100% with you on this one. That's my interpretation too and I don't even think I am biased, it's just seems too obvious to me. 

WXL was far away from being stupid, her acting started after she got her identity back, in fact ever since the dragon bone prison, her attitude there towards jing was obviously fake and out of character. She made up her mind and played along, but WXL was never stupid or in denial, IMO. Yes, she was living in a man's body, but she was a fertility doctor who knew very well how things work. 

For one, why would she record XL's face in the mirror if not for not forget him?  Just because she thought it's funny? She never recorded 17. There is also that passage in chapter 5, I believe, where she drank a cup of tea with some feces, who made XL smile and XY though to herself about how she wants to keep this moment forever. 

Why would she told him that she's scared of him entering his dreams, if not for her already thinking of this possibility before? She asked yellow emperor early on if it's ok to marry her enemy and that was before FFB came into the play, the background for that question was basically QSTown and what she experienced there with XL. 

I agree though that TH made it easy for the readers to find gaps into the story, so they can have the freedom of chosing the details that fits their chosen theory, but I personally have little doubts about this aspect or about her intention.

solarlunareclipse:
I don't think we'll be able to find definitive proof one way or the other as to whether WXL had romantic feelings for XL at this point, and if he did, whether he was aware of them. As you pointed out, there's a whole lot of plausible deniability there.

Agreed. 

solarlunareclipse:
My personal interpretation of the entire Qing Shui Town arc is that the two basically fall for each other at first sound/sight and senses that the other person is attracted to them right away. The two of them then keep going back and forth making deliberate and calculated bids on where they stand with the other person and upping the ante each time.

solarlunareclipse:
^^^This scene is really sad though if you believe, like I do, that he did have feelings for XL at the time and made bids that night to see XL's willingness to have a relationship with him. Even though XL is consistently cruel to him Qing Sui Town, to me, this feels like the first time WXL was truly hurt by XL.  

One of the best things about these discussion threads is getting to learn new details about the text, or being exposed to new theories and interpretations, and then going back and reading the text with a new perspective in mind that often enriches the reading experience. Next time I read the QS Town chapters, I'll certainly have this interpretation in mind. 

solarlunareclipse:
There's another interpretation for this statement other than WXL trying to placate XL's anger and possible revenge for the 9-eyes incident. I'll address it in a separate post some other time.

You have my curiosity. ^^

solarlunareclipse:
After Wen Xiao Liu draws nine eyes on Xiang Liu and records it in his gorilla beast mirror, he basks in the sun with a lotus leaf covering his eyes. He then tears the leaf into strips. This might be similar to tearing flower petals: he loves me, he loves me not…. It could be one of the first signs that Wen Xiao Liu is starting to daydream about Xiang Liu.

没有病人的时候,小六喜欢拿一片荷叶遮住眼睛,仰面躺在晒草药的草席上,双臂贴着耳朵往上伸展,双脚自然合并,脚尖往下。整个身体笔直得像一条线,想象中好似身体可以无限延展,那种筋骨撑拉的感觉,配上温暖的太阳、荷叶的清香,简直就像骨头饮了酒,小醉微醺的美妙。
When there were no patients, Xiao Liu liked to cover his eyes with a lotus leaf, lie on a straw mat used for drying herbs, face up, with his arms stretched upward, touching his ears, and his feet naturally together, toes pointing downward. His whole body was straight like a line and he imagined he could infinitely extend his body. The feeling of stretching his muscles and bones, accompanied by the warm sun and the fragrance of lotus leaves, was like the bones drinking wine, a delightful light intoxication.

小六拿下荷叶,一边看着十七,一边一下又一下,慢慢地把个圆圆的荷叶撕成了一条条。
Xiao Liu took off the lotus leaf and, while looking at Shi Qi, slowly tore the round lotus leaf into strips one after another.

— Vol 1 Ch 4 (Chapter 4)

Here's the link to my previous post on the lotus representing Xiang Liu: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=3032451&page=568#p3032451.

Ah, okay. I guess Koala's translation of "lily frond" should have been "lotus leaf"?

Although this scene seems entirely about WXL's relationship with YSQ. And not in a "YSQ/TSJ is just a proxy for XL" kind of way. It's about WXL watching YSQ, it's about WXL being angry with YSQ, it's about YSQ staying with WXL after everyone else has left even when WXL won't forgive him, it's about WXL having YSQ accompany "him", and it's about WXL forgiving YSQ. And in the next scene, it's also about WXL teasing YSQ.  

Even if there is an association between XL and white lotus blossoms in the novel (which seems different than lotus leaves or lily fronds), the way WXL is behaving in this scene... I really don't see WXL tearing the lotus leaf into strips as an indication that WXL was daydreaming about XL. Escpecially since the last time XL was mentioned in the text before this scene was when WXL came home and was terrified due to mistaking YSQ for XL waiting in her room to punish her for the charcoal incident. 

-----

Chapter 4:

The Autumn afternoon is the most beautiful time of the day. When no one was direly ill, Xiao Liu liked taking a big lily frond to cover his eyes and lying on the straw pallet used to dry herbs. He raised his two arms over his head against his ears and his two legs would naturally stick straight out as well with his toes pointed. His entire body was straight like a line and in his imagination his body could extend forever. That feeling of stretching, paired with the warm sun, the fragrant lily frond, it was like drinking wine into the bones and being slightly tipsy.

He once encouraged Ma Zi and Lao Mu to bask in the sun in the same way but both felt it was super embarrassing and refused to copy him. So this wonderful feeling, Xiao Liu can only experience it alone.

Xiao Liu was done stretching and lowered his arms and pulled the frond off his eyes to look at Shi Qi cutting the medicine. After Ma Zi had his baby, he was almost living full time at Butcher Gao’s. Normally Chuan Zi would do some more chores but these past three months he was always out of the clinic doing god knows what. Only Shi Qi remained in the clinic but Xiao Liu didn’t feel like his work load increased and instead felt more at ease. Whatever he wanted to do he would discover Shi Qi already did it.

Xiao Liu sat up on the pallet and put the frond on his head and intently watched Shi Qi working. Shi Qi had his head lowered cutting the medicine and after he was done and put the medicine into satchels he went to work on another batch.

Xiao Liu called “Shi Qi.” Shi Qi stopped and looked up at Xiao Liu silently. “Hhhmmm….” Xiao Liu shook his head “Nothing.” Shi Qi lowered his head and went back to work. “Shi Qi.” Shi Qi stopped again but this time didn’t look up at Xiao Liu though he was listening. “You rest for a bit!”

“Not tired.” Shi Qi went back to work.

Xiao Liu took off the frond and looked at Shi Qi, tearing pieces off the frond until it was in strips. Lao Mu and Chuan Zi never sensed that he was mad at Shi Qi. But Xiao Liu and Shi Qi both knew – in the beginning Shi Qi wanted to apologize but Xiao Liu pretended to be clueless and was instead even more polite and courteous. Gradually Shi Qi stopped trying and would only silently follow him like a shadow, finishing the work that three people used to do.

Shi Qi………” Shi Qi raised his head to look at Xiao Liu but Xiao Liu didn’t know what he wanted to say. He bit his lip and suddenly smiled and patted the space next to him. “You come here, I’ll show you something fun.”

Shi Qi put down his chores and walked over. Xiao Liu laid down and explained to Shi Qi what to do, showing him how to bask in the sun like he was doing. Shi Qi was not like Ma Zi and Chuan Zi and immediately followed suit. Xiao Liu squinted as he counted the clouds above, feeling content and letting out a sigh. Even though it was the same sun warming him, the same pallet he was laying on, two people basking under the sun felt particularly nice for some reason.

Xiao Liu was almost falling asleep when Shi Qi’s voice spoke. “There won’t be a second time.”

“Hhmmm?” Xiao Liu drowsily opened his eyes.

“No matter what reason, there won’t be a second time when you need me but can’t find me.” Xiao Liu was totally awake now and suddenly realized his petty anger at Shi Qi was totally pointless. Poor Shi Qi spent all that time thinking about it. Xiao Liu sat up and was about to say something with a smile when Lao Mu came running in and grabbed Xiao Liu and bolted right out the door.

“Shoes, I don’t have shoes on!” Xiao Liu put on his shoes and ran out the door but called back to Shi Qi, “Let’s go together!”

Xiao Liu ran pell mell behind Lao Mu until they arrived at the end of the street. Xiao Liu called out a greeting to Xuan and Lao Mu pulled him behind a few tubs of wine and made a gesture to Xuan who nodded clearly understanding what to do. Someone was crouched behind him and Xiao Liu knew it was Shi Qi. He turned and make a goofy face to Shi Qi before turning back to see what interesting thing was about to happen.

Xuan coughed a few times and Lao Mu immediately tensed and Xiao Liu peered out over the tubs. Three prostitutes walked over to buy some wine, two drank some and left but one remained behind. Xiao Liu was getting bored when Lao Mu nudged him and that’s when Chuan Zi walked over and walked away with the remaining prostitute. They walked until they were gone from sight.

Lao Mu grabbed Xiao Liu and they raced through the alleys until they saw Chuan Zi and the prostitute talking in the shadowy corner. Then they started kissing and Xiao Liu watched with a wide grin but Lao Mu was furious and upset. Xiao Liu peeked at Shi Qi who was standing straight but kept his eyes lowered on his shoes, giving them privacy.

The two of them against the wall got more heated and the girl was making moaning noises. Lao Mu wanted to rush out but didn’t know how to handle this awkward situation. He told Xiao Liu “You deal with it!” before huffing off.

Xiao Liu didn’t bother with Lao Mu and was instead laughing at Shi Qi and inched over. “A scion of a well born family, even if unmarried there must be pretty serving maids in the house. How were the maids around you compared to this girl?”

Shi Qi said nothing and was trying to inch away from Xiao Liu but he was already against the wall. Xiao Liu restrained his laugh and continued to be his evil self. He pressed his hands against the wall around Shi Qi and trapped him, much like a playboy trying to seduce a gentle lady. “What kind of girls do you like? An innocent, fresh-faced type, or a girl like this who is passionate?”

In the sound of the woman’s moans, Shi Qi’s face was starting to turn beet red and Xiao Liu was laughing inside so hard he was about to bust a gut. His evil naughty side was in control and he pressed close to Shi Qi’s face and asked, “You want some, too?”

Unexpectedly, Shi Qi raised his head and despite the faint blush, his clear eyes were filled with laughter. Xiao Liu was stunned and the only thought he had in his head was, “A wolf in sheep’s clothing!”

Xiao Liu was so embarrassed and it was his turn to blush red so he vented his frustration out on Chuan Zi. He rushed forward yelling, “Chuan Zi! Where did you get the nerve to learn to whore! Where did you get the money?”

solarlunareclipse:
Just curious, putting aside plausible deniability, do you believe there is a point in the novel where WXL was most likely aware of his feelings for XL?

WXL? So only looking at the period of time before XY's true identity was revealed / she regained her true / female form? 

It's been quite a while since I've done a proper re-read, so there's a good chance I'm not remembering an obvious example. But from my recollection, there wasn't ever a scene that really felt like WXL was self-aware of the fact that he was falling for XL. 

But there are a lot of moments were WXL's developing feelings felt pretty obvious to me as a third-party observer. 

One of my favourite examples is in chapter 5, when XL laughs and WXL wants to freeze the moment.

-----

Chapter 5:

Xiao Liu sat in front of the table tending to himself. Inside the tea cannister was something strange but Xiao Liu just mumbled about life and tossed it into the tea pot to brew something that looked like tea. Xiang Liu sat on the rug and leaned against the pallet as if waiting to laugh at Xiao Liu. To his surprise, Xiao Liu took one sip, squinted his face briefly, before resuming and finishing the entire cup of tea.

Xiang Liu said, “I now believe that you were forced to eat lots of strange disgusting things.”

Xiao Liu smiled. “I never lie. I just like saying a lot of crap.”

Xiang Liu added “When I finished the tea, I tossed into the cannister the scent ball used to ward off bugs. I heard it’s the poop of some strange beast.” Xiao Liu’s face changed color but he forced himself to remain placid. Xiang Liu softly chuckled, a genuine sound of mirth. Xiao Liu looked at how his cold handsome eyes seemed to melt like the Spring water and Xiao Liu wanted to freeze this moment.

A soldier reported from outside, “General Xiang Liu, two more soldiers died.” Xiang Liu’s laughter stopped and he immediately stood up and walked out. Xiao Liu hesitated and walked to the door.

liddi:
-- Vol 2 Ch5  (Chapter 22)

liddi:
-- Vol 2 Ch3  (Chapter 20)

Thank you for the translations! ^^

liddi:
There is no explicit description of him giving her the blood through mouth-to-mouth contact, but the description of how he fed her his essential life blood, mirrored how he saved her on Jade Mountain by biting down on his own tongue and feeding her his essential blood with his mouth:

Is it mirrored though? In both cases, he saves XY's life by feeding her his essential soul blood. But it seems like there are some pretty significant differences in how he goes about saving her in each case, which makes it seem like the description of how he saves her in chapter 48 can't be relied upon to demonstrate how XL fed his essential soul blood to XY during each of the 400+ healing sessions in chapter 22.