solarlunareclipse:
She also made him grilled fish after their sea expedition after CX's wedding. There may be other instances as well, but I haven't taken full inventory of situations involving her grilling fish for XL.

AH :

XY/WXL grilled fish for XL twice: once as WXL and once as XY on their excursion after CX's wedding. 

When they reached the surface it was already sunset. Xiao Yao realized they spent a day and a night under the sea. Xiang Liu took Xiao Yao to an island, Xiao Yao grilled two fishes for herself and roasted a giant suckling pig sized fish for Xiang Liu. She used a conch shell to make a seafood soup. She carried her herb pouch with her everywhere but she didn’t use any seasonings on her fish but sprinkled it on Xiang Liu’s fish. It wasn’t even done cooking yet but the mouthwatering scent wafted everywhere.

Xiao Yao stared at it and started drooling but she didn’t have the guts to eat it and instead docilely ate her two fish.

Xiang Liu took a bite of his fish and made a rare compliment to Xiao Yao “The taste is pretty good.”

(Chapter 26)

Actually, I found the drama made this grilled fish better than in the novel. On the drama, XY said the previous time that she grilled fish for him was when she was still WXL who at that time was alone and felt the world so big with nowhere to go. At the moment of talking when she had home and someone waiting for her but she just wanted to wander the world forever. Thus XY dropped the hint to XL that she wanted to wander the the world forever (with him). It also means that to do so, XL would have to give up his duty and responsibilities to Shen Nong army and his comrade. 

The drama also made XL's intention clearer than quiet XL in the novel as when XY asked about the islands, he said she should get someone else, he would not accompany her. 

There is another occasion related to grill fish between XY and XL. It was in chapter 43 after he sucked her blood but this time, XL grill fish and made the seafood soup for XY. These two scenes are almost mirror of each other. And actually, XL made more generous food for XY (beside grilled fish, soup, he also made seaweed salad).

P/S: WXL/XY grilled seafood (clams, fish) for CX and Ah Nian on their boat trip on the occasion of attending the competition in Chi Shui in chapter 11. The fish was wrapped in lotus leaf and roasted on hot stone. Additionally, the duck neck that XY bought for Jing was also wrapped in lotus leaf

@blabla100

Looking at the picture you posted, there was one question asked to TH that caught my attention.In my opinion, what is meant by the shadows in the first and second parts of the book has something to do with  the revival of XL.

Question to @tonghua: There's a lot of foreshadowing in the first two parts, but no explanation in the third part.

What rhythm?

Tonghua: This is the rhythm of long- term struggle!

H19279:
P/S: WXL/XY grilled seafood (clams, fish) for CX and Ah Nian on their boat trip on the occasion of attending the competition in Chi Shui in chapter 11. The fish was wrapped in lotus leaf and roasted on hot stone.

I think XY only grills fish for XL, herself, and their shadow characters. So during this trip to the Chi Shui Autumn Tournament, CX, A Nian, and Hai Tang eat Xiao Yao's grilled fish.

• AN = XL's shadow
  • HT is an extension of AN since servants can be considered an extension of their masters. So by extension, HT is also XL's shadow
  • CX = XY's shadow

There is one more instance with XY and grilled fish. After running away from her wedding to Feng Long, Xiao Yao spent time at sea with King Gao Xin and A Nian. They did grill fish, but it doesn't specifically say that XY grilled the fish here.

临别前一日,高辛王早早下朝,带小夭和阿念乘船出海,父女三人钓鱼、烤鱼,忙得不亦乐乎。
The day before leaving, King Gao Xin left court early and took Xiao Yao and A Nian out to sea on a boat. The father and daughters fished and grilled fish together, keeping themselves happily busy.

— Vol 2 Ch 16 (Chapter 33)

The lotus leaf used to wrap the fish may be another hint that AN is XL's shadow. AN also conjures up lotuses to cheer XY up after she finds out about FFYY's pregnancy. Feng Long is another character with associations to the lotus and he is another XL shadow character. There are also mentions lotus with Hou, XL's foil character.

H19279:
Additionally, the duck neck that XY bought for Jing was also wrapped in lotus leaf

After Jing and XY went qin shopping, Jing ordered duck neck and chicken feet and wrapped them in lotus leaves.

碰到卖小吃的摊子,璟要了一些鸭脖子、鸡爪子,让小贩用荷叶包好。
Encountering a stall selling snacks, Jing ordered some duck neck and chicken feet, and asked the vendor to wrap them in lotus leaves.

— Vol 2 Ch 3 (Chapter 20)

This is likely Tong Hua appropriating the lotus to be associated with Jing, just as she does with the moon, the 'Fei Fei' song, and hibiscus flowers. Jing is definitely not a XL shadow character.

windiaaa041293:

@blabla100

Looking at the picture you posted, there was one question asked to TH that caught my attention.In my opinion, what is meant by the shadows in the first and second parts of the book has something to do with  the revival of XL.

Question to @tonghua: There's a lot of foreshadowing in the first two parts, but no explanation in the third part.

What rhythm?

Tonghua: This is the rhythm of long- term struggle!

Oh is that what she say? I did read on a site that the first 2 chapters of the sequel thousands of directions can be find online, but I am not sure how accurate the info is. 

Tong Hua 2013 Book Release Weibo Posts

March 10, 2013

送给所有坚强的人:苦难之所以能成为苦难,只是因为遇到它们的人都被打败了。而 我们打败了苦难,并把它们踩碎,揉进自己 的身体里,变成了属于我们的力量,所 以,我们从不会把苦难看作苦难一《长相思》
Dedicated to all the strong people: The reason suffering becomes suffering is that those who encounter it are defeated by it. But we have defeated suffering, trampled it to pieces, and kneaded it into our own bodies, transforming it into our strength. Therefore, we never regard suffering as suffering. — “Lost You Forever”

May 31, 2013

长相思2:小夭默默看着漫天烟花,想必青丘 此刻也是如此美丽,璟大概搀扶着奶奶,和众人一起看着缤纷绚烂的烟花;而清水镇外 的茫茫大山中,应该是黑暗的,萧瑟寒风 中,士兵们围着籍火,就着劣酒,唱一曲故 国的歌谣。相柳大概一身雪白的衣,陪着共 工,默默地穿行在黑暗中,从一个营地巡逻 到另一个营地。
Lost You Forever Volume 2: Xiao Yao silently watched the fireworks filling the sky. Qing Qiu must be just as beautiful at this moment, with Jing probably supporting his grandmother, watching the brilliant and colorful fireworks together with everyone else. Meanwhile, in the vast mountains outside Qing Shui Town, it should be dark. Amidst the bleak and cold wind, the soldiers huddle around a campfire, drinking poor-quality wine, and singing songs of their homeland. Xiang Liu, likely dressed in all white, accompanies Gong Gong, silently moving through the darkness, patrolling from one camp to another.

March 15, 2013

26度-晴: 虽然这里谈的是长相思,可是我还是忍不住要问,孟钰是真的死了吗?云中歌看了好多遍,真的好希望陵哥哥是假死或者孟钰只是掉进了河里,这样的话云歌就不是一个人了。
Reader: Although we are discussing “Lost You Forever” here, I can't help but ask: Did Meng Yu really die? I've read “Song in the Clouds” many times and truly hope that Brother Ling is only pretending to be dead or that Meng Yu just fell into the river. That way, Yun Ge wouldn't be alone.

桐华tonghua: 我不知道…我也希望他活着,能多年后,江湖再见。
Tong Hua: I don't know... I also hope that he is alive, and that they can meet again in the world years later.

March 15, 2013

爱吃肉的黑妞: 你愿意选择相遇还是别离?
Reader: Would you choose to meet or part ways?

桐华tonghua: 遇见了谁, 谁离开了, 其实都不是 我们能选择的。
Tong Hua: Who we meet and who we leave are actually not our choices.

June 2, 2013

古月歌然: 前天看书看到这里, 桐大你这么损自己, 我也是醉了。
Reader: The day before yesterday, when I read up to this point in the book, Mrs. Tong, you're so self-deprecating, I can't even…

桐华tonghua: 哈哈......我损的可不止这一处, 炮灰表哥梗损的是长相思, 小螺在海边说烂俗的一知道绝症就玩隐瞒赶你走偏不走各种作节奏的是云中歌。。。(请这些故事的读者原谅 我, 自嘲打趣, 自嘲打趣。。。)
Tong Hua: Haha... I'm not just self-deprecating here. The cannon fodder cousin's storyline in “Lost You Forever” is self-deprecating, and Xiao Luo said vulgar things by the sea, as soon as he knows he is terminally ill, plays tricks to drive you away, all kinds of rhythms in “Song in the Clouds”… (Please forgive me, readers of these stories, for my self-mockery, self-mockery...)

March 15, 2013

音尘绝萧咽也jasmine: 其实有点困惑的是十七到底是哪一个地方开始发现小六是女子的啊?
Reader: Actually, what's a bit confusing is: when exactly did Seventeen discover that Xiao Liu is a girl?

桐华tonghua: 他之前就知道小六是幻化的形体了, 但他当时万念俱灰, 什么都不在意, 直到小六看他洗澡脸红时, 他......嗯......死了 的心也跳了跳............
Tong Hua: He knew beforehand that Xiao Liu was in a disguised form, but at that time, he was in despair and didn't care about anything. It wasn't until Xiao Liu blushed when seeing him bathe that he... um... even his dead heart skipped a beat...

Tong Hua 2013 Chinese Valentines Day Weibo Q & A

The following posts are from a Tong Hua “Lost You Forever” Q & A held on Chinese Valentines Day (August 13, 2013) using the hashtag #七夕说相思#

紫眸的眼泪0214: 桐大,为什么你书里总有白衣男出现?然后这些白衣男最后又总是炮灰了呢?一直很想问你这个问题?不知道你能不能回答? 如孟九,少昊, 还有相柳...............
Reader: Mrs. Tong, why do men in white always appear in your books? And why do these men in white always end up as cannon fodder? I've always wanted to ask you this question. I wonder if you can answer? Like Meng Jiu, Shao Hao, and Xiang Liu...

桐华tonghua: 少昊是因为整个王族都穿白色衣服啊!!! 相柳是因为保护色, 习惯了.
Tong Hua: Shao Hao wears white because the entire royal family wears white! Xiang Liu wears white because it’s a form of camouflage, and he’s used to it.

Zita酱么: 1. 小夭的弓箭到底是谁送的? 颛顼? 相柳? 2. 为什么在武器铺时, 小夭叫防风邶付钱, 他会生气?
Reader: 1. Who gave Xiao Yao the bow and arrows? Zhuan Xu? Xiang Liu? 2. Why did Fang Feng Bei get angry when Xiao Yao asked him to pay at the weapons shop?

桐华tonghua: 是相柳送的。 第二个问题, 嗯 , 你再想想。
Tong Hua: It was Xiang Liu who gave them to her. As for the second question, well, think about it some more.

默默变了: 您在书中透露出对爱情是什么观点, 是像你在博客里所写的那样吗?
Reader: What viewpoint on love do you reveal in your book? Is it similar to what you write about in your blog?

桐华tonghua: 我的观点一直都是: 生命的长度有限, 我们无法控制, 可一个好的爱 人 , 能令生命的广度和深度增加。
Tong Hua: My viewpoint has always been: Life's length is limited, which we cannot control, but a good partner can increase the breadth and depth of life.

青丘小天: 为什么要把《长相思3》从“相思劫”改为“思无涯”呢?
Reader: Why was “Lost You Forever Volume 3” renamed from “Tribulations of Yearning” to “Endless Yearning”?

桐华tonghua: 因为相思劫是编辑自己取的名字, 我知道后, 觉得不满意, 自己改成了思无涯。
Tong Hua: Because “Tribulations of Yearning”was the title chosen by the editor. When I found out, I felt dissatisfied and changed it to “Endless Yearning” myself.

夏若繁 happy: 后妈~~ 《长相思》里的感情是最原始, 也最直接的。对吧? ! 对吧? !
Reader: Stepmother~~ The emotions in “Lost You Forever” are the most primal and direct. Right?! Right?!

桐华tonghua: 最原始, 最直接的感情, 应该是蚩尤对阿珩。
Tong Hua: The most primal, most direct emotion should be Chi You's feelings toward A Heng.

一朵西柚精: 前两部有很多伏笔, 在第三部里也没有解释, 这, 是什么节奏??
Reader: The first two parts had many foreshadowings, which were not explained in the third part. What kind of rhythm is this??

桐华tonghua: 这是......要长期奋斗的节奏!
Tong Hua: This is... the rhythm of long-term struggle!

九里瞳: 桐大, 在长相思第二部中, 为什么相柳帮小夭疗伤时说 : "不要恨我。”求回复!!!!
Reader: Mrs. Tong, in “Lost You Forever” Part Two, why does Xiang Liu say “Don't hate me” while helping Xiao Yao heal? Please reply!!!

桐华tonghua: 有两个原因, 一个估计大家都猜到了, 因为他让小夭的身体变得不再是纯粹的神族, 另一个, 请继续猜 , (请原谅作者的寂寞, 总要设计一些小乐趣给自己的!)
Tong Hua: There are two reasons. One, which most people probably guessed, is because he made Xiao Yao’s body no longer that of a pure deity. The other reason, please continue guessing. (Please forgive the author's loneliness, I always have to design some small pleasures for myself!)

离了水的鱼鱼鱼鱼: 桐大, 长相思里的璟让很多人感觉不给力, 甚至还说他是娘炮, 你是怎么看待璟的?
Reader 1: Mrs. Tong, many people feel that Jing in “Lost You Forever” is inadequate, and some even say he's an effeminate man. How do you view Jing?

Pling 瓜0818: 才發現是泰戈爾的詩。我喜欢这个人物, “世界以痛 吻我,要我回报以歌” , 世间做到的不多!
Reader 2: I just realized it's a poem by Tagore. I like this character, “The world has kissed my soul with its pain, asking for its return in songs.” Not many can achieve this in the world!

桐华tonghua: 用这个问题作为开场吧, 其实, 每个故事的结束都并不是那些人物的真正的结局, 在这个问题上, 我是个很不切实际的 人, 我总觉得故事只是他们生命的一个段落, 即使我的故事结束了, 他们的生活依旧在另外一个空间继续, 所以, 每个故事都不可能有真正的结局的。
Tong Hua: Let's start with this question. In fact, the conclusion of every story is not the real ending for those characters. On this matter, I am quite unrealistic. I always feel that the story is just a chapter in their lives. Even though my story has ended, their lives continue in another space, so, it’s not possible for every story to have a true ending.

@solarlunareclipse

Thank you for the translations! 

"紫眸的眼泪0214: 桐大,为什么你书里总有白衣男出现?然后这些白衣男最后又总是炮灰了呢?一直很想问你这个问题?不知道你能不能回答? 如孟九,少昊, 还有相柳...............

Reader: Mrs. Tong, why do men in white always appear in your books? And why do these men in white always end up as cannon fodder? I've always wanted to ask you this question. I wonder if you can answer? Like Meng Jiu, Shao Hao, and Xiang Liu...

桐华tonghua: 少昊是因为整个王族都穿白色衣服啊!!! 相柳是因为保护色, 习惯了.
Tong Hua: Shao Hao wears white because the entire royal family wears white! Xiang Liu wears white because it’s a form of camouflage, and he’s used to it."

I like how TH draw a line between Shao Hao and XL, Shao Hao's love for Ah Heng was unrequited, so by her answer I understand that regardless of both wearing white, they share no similarities and people shouldn't mix them togheter. 

"June 2, 2013

古月歌然: 前天看书看到这里, 桐大你这么损自己, 我也是醉了。
Reader: The day before yesterday, when I read up to this point in the book, Mrs. Tong, you're so self-deprecating, I can even…

桐华tonghua: 哈哈......我损的可不止这一处, 炮灰表哥梗损的是长相思, 小螺在海边说烂俗的一知道绝症就玩隐瞒赶你走偏不走各种作节奏的是云中歌。。。(请这些故事的读者原谅 我, 自嘲打趣, 自嘲打趣。。。)
Tong Hua: Haha... I'm not just self-deprecating here. The cannon fodder cousin's storyline in “Lost You Forever” is self-deprecating, and Xiao Luo said vulgar things by the sea, as soon as he knows he is terminally ill, plays tricks to drive you away, all kinds of rhythms in “Song in the Clouds”… (Please forgive me, readers of these stories, for my self-mockery, self-mockery...)"

What chapter is she referring to? 46?

I want to share with you my thoughts and discuss them. When I finished reading Once Promised, I spent a lot of time thinking about parallels. I don't have the English version of OP because I read it in my language, but I'll try to explain.

In the drama, when we first see XL, he stays on the rock and listens to XY's song. Chi Cheng also met Ah Heng for the first time from the rock (or something similar) and fell in love with her at that moment. Ah Heng swam in the lake, and XY was also singing near the water. Later, when XL met XY as FFB, he said something like 'what if I fell in love with you when I first saw you?' I believe he used his new role but told the truth about the past. 

But what about the relationship between XL and WXL? He was really a red flag at first. But when I read OP, I also hated Chi Cheng because he was so annoying at the start of the story and did so many bad things to A Heng. He didn't drink blood, but he was so jealous. To be honest, I didn't like the beginning of their story. But in the end, I cried. 

Ah Heng spent a lot of time creating the red cloak for Chi You. This is similar to the ice ball for XL. When Ah Heng made the red cloak, they didn’t know each other well; it was just the beginning. 

Ah Heng was detained on the mountain with the Royal Mother for 40(?) years because Chi You stole the bow to find Ah Heng (according to legend, this bow can help locate a person wherever they are), but he found her before using it. The Royal Mother knew who stole the bow but wanted a relationship between Ah Heng and Chi You. All these years, Chi You wrote letters to Ah Heng and sent them through A Cian (fox) and Li Yan (bird).

Ah Heng was also like XY, who said she hated Chi You, but in the end, she admitted that she fell in love with him when she saw him for the first time. She knew that the city of Bofu was located exactly in the direction where he was looking. She approached him and asked, “Can you tell me how to get to Bofu?” He looked at her coldly (he saw her already twice) and walked on, and she immediately rushed after him, as if she had gone crazy. Only many years later did she realize that if she had not kept up with him, they would have simply missed each other and would never have crossed paths again.

When Chi Cheng (or Chi You) saved Ah Heng from dying in the end, he exchanged her destroyed heart for his own and died. He used that stolen bow for it (the legend was only a legend, but in reality, this bow can replace lives). Ah Heng remained alone in the peach garden in the middle of the desert, waiting to meet the adult XY. She said that only when Chi Cheng died she truly understood her great love for him, and his heart stayed with her. She said, 'Once I dreamed of exploring the whole world with you, but now I understand – you are my world. But even though we're close, we're separated by life and death. We can't touch each other, and I'll never hear your heartbeat. The pain of missing you consumes me like poison, cutting me like a knife night after night. When the peaches bloom again, my longing and pain have nowhere to go, so I conjure up a sandstorm just to hear your heartbeat again.'

Tong Hua killed me with this. It really seems like the ending of XY and XL.

@Meow

I haven't read once promised, but I definetely see some parallels too and the details you posted are quite revealing. I am not sure if A cian is Sir Bi, but if he is, than that's another similarity, Chi You sent Ah Heng letters through him, while XL also used him to sent XY the laughing doll. 

I personally always thought XL and XY was love at first sight too anyway, same story basically, but with a different direction.

Yes, Sir Bi is a fox. He always was melancholic and sentimental unlike Li Yang. I adore the moment when XL says goodbye forever to XY and Sir Bi (A Cian) sings a song. This song is sung by Chi You for Ah Heng.
By the way, Chi You has a big bird that has the biggest speed in the world. When CY was injured, this bird delivered him far away to the North. If I'm not mistaken, when XY saw the portrait of CY in the house of her parents, it was CY on the big bird.
I really recommend reading 'Once Promised.' Every story with every couple was interesting, especially with Xiang Cian's parents.
After reading, I hate XY's grandfather so much. So many deaths linked with him. Before reading, I thought Ah Heng and Chi You killed each other, but the Yellow Emperor used his daughter as bait. He knew that Ah Heng had new abilities for destroying a big army after "dying" some years ago. He used everyone in his family.

liddi:
The moment she found out the real name and nature of the lovers bug, she knew what it meant, but tried her darnedest to downplay it.

So you recall the scene after Jing's grandmother's servant (sorry, I can't remember her name) told her about the name of the bugs. Her reaction of look towards Qingshui town. Her conversation with CX afterwards as well when she lamented about not being able to control life and death. What did you make of that conversation?

liddi:
Hence her decision to stay one more night at sea after that.

What does she hope for? To see him? And then what?

And Jing absolutely knew all the way back in Qingshui town. His jealousy was apparent right from the start. 

liddi:
she didn't really care either. I wonder whether she really tried to have it removed, and her efforts to do so was because she wanted to, or out of deference for Jing

I don't think she cared very much to remove it, Jing and all. She could have informed CX and had him throw all his resources into finding a solution, but of course, removing it wasn't a huge priority and she has always hidden her relationship with XL from CX (so poor CX never realised that his real love rival wasn't Jing :-)).  And speaking of CX, I'm surprised that he didn't sniff out something unusual with YaoLiu relationship. I get Jing was such a good smokescreen that CX suspected nothing. 

liddi:
Even when she chased Xiang Liu at the Lirong gambling den, she was more elated to see that it was him and actually didn't know what she wanted to say, so blurting out about asking him to removing the lovers bug was just an excuse she grasped, which indicated that it was never paramount in her mind to begin with.

How long has it been since they've seen each other at this point? And yet, she instinctively recognized him and instinctively chased after him.

I feel like she didn't care very much if she died with him. Which made her engagement to Jing such a "yeah, whatever" undertaking to me. She likes it for the sense of security that it gives her, but was blase about it at the same time. 

liddi:
I don't feel that it was just him realising he cannot meet her requirement, but the self-deprecation stemmed from the fact that he did wish he was able to say yes to her conditions.

I think it's both. He realised what she needed from a partner and he also knew that he couldn't give it to her. That little laugh that he did :-(. 

liddi:
did Xiao Yao ever look back to that moment when she finally confirmed his real identity, and understanding that in that moment, he actually gave her a glimpse of what was really in his heart? If she would be honest with herself, she would have.

XY is not stupid. Often I think she fooled herself because admitting that he feels the same means facing a very bleak outcome for them and it also means potentially making hard choices. It's easier to just think everything is a transaction and it's one-sided on her part. But there are scenes in the story that point to her knowing how he feels about her. 

liddi:
So... sleeping in the buff is already something she is quite familiar with. Hmm... the possibilities are intriguing...

You are putting images in my head liddi :-).

I watched the first two episodes of Fox Spirit Matchmaker, and it's made abundantly clear that the Tushan Clan are all about the money and merchants.  Apparently it's part of the myth, and just reinforces my belief that the most transactional character in LYF is Jing.

HeadInTheClouds:
And speaking of CX, I'm surprised that he didn't sniff out something unusual with YaoLiu relationship. I get Jing was such a good smokescreen that CX suspected nothing. 

Do you think CX knew after XY asked him to spare Xiang Liu's life? It was the first and last time she begged for a favor that she knew would be difficult for him, and he instinctively knew that XL was FFB. However, after that, he just told her:

“He chose his path and now you’ve chosen yours and have done all you can do. I think you’ve done enough for the friendship. No matter what happens you can forget him and forget it all!”

-- Vol 3 Ch 17 (Chapter 50)

I'm guessing CX downplayed the fact that he knew how much XL meant to XY because he knew there was no way he could get XL to agree to go against his sense of honor and save himself.

HeadInTheClouds:
XY is not stupid. Often I think she fooled herself because admitting that he feels the same means facing a very bleak outcome for them and it also means potentially making hard choices. It's easier to just think everything is a transaction and it's one-sided on her part. But there are scenes in the story that point to her knowing how he feels about her. 

Agree that there was a lot of self-deception on XY's part, especially at the beginning, when XL was using his FFB persona to get closer to her, but she wrote him off and refused to take him seriously. However, after 37 years, I also see a lot of instances where XY wanted XL to confess, but XL shut her down every time. After hearing the truth about the Lovers' Gu from the Voodoo King, she desperately wanted to know if XL loved her, preparing to jump into the ocean and chase him down to get the answer. *Fortunately,* Jing was there to stop her. This seems to indicate that although she strongly suspected that he had feelings for her, she was never really sure how deep his feelings were, and she really did have a nagging doubt in the back of her mind as to whether everything was just a transaction to him.

After Qing Shui Town, XL and XY have very desynchronized love rhythms, always with one pushing and the other retreating. Before 37 years, XL pushed and XY retreated. After 37 years, XY pushed and XL retreated.

windiaaa041293:

Is it true that there is an XL in the drama "Filter"?

This was from the little video released when filming for the drama ended. The XL doll with his troll hair styling:-). Some of us are hoping to get XL's Easter Eggs in Filter.