not at all. this is the best kdrama i've ever watched. 

Though I liked this drama , I definitely feel its overrated , and not only this a lot of Kdramas are overrated on MDL.

THAT  is ONE person's opinion. 

It's a personal preference, I myself rated My Mister "10" and like some here on MDL, I'd give "100." 

Below is a personal review by Serena.

If I try to describe it in words this drama come from other earth , it's not like anything watching ever , Amazing acting .. Great Music .. Simple story with deep meanings dug deep into my heart ..

My Mister successfully touches on universal themes of brotherhood, friendship, perseverance, selflessness, accountability, forgiveness, acceptance, and letting go. The stellar supporting cast makes a frank exploration of these themes not just possible, but deep and poignant, adding to the already rich narrative. Much like adhering to strict building codes, these friends and family members resemble pillars which boost each other up in good times and bad

So somone plz give this show all the Korean Oscars known T__T
hope everyone start this drama without read any synopsis , just start watching and enjoy with everything in screen ❤

I agree with the OP on the romance part. I think with a drama of such breadth, it was indeed disappointing for me to experience an open end. I hate open endings. And this one really hurt.

Though I still gave it 9/10. I don't give 10s as I regard such too unrealistic and biased. I am one of those who even wrote a plugin to hide all 10 rating reviews from MDL lol.

The drama is overrated because the ML is dumb as fuck. I see some people call him "a good man" but he's not "a good man" - he's just stupid.

In a drama where the focus are on characters you should be able to find some reason in their actions (even if you disagree with their behavior) however the ML is written in such a dumb way that I feel the writer was more concerned about pleasing the target audience instead of writing a character that behaved in a way that was believable.

No, I don't think it is overrated. I would say it is underrated in context of how high some other shows are.

I have been watching TV shows for decades. This is one of the best in any language. I am new to K-drama, but this is the best I have seen so far.

Ratings shouldn't be taken too seriously though. Personally I disagree with lots of them, but to quote MM "it is not big deal" lol

This drama gave me 2 things. First it continued my love of kdrama's, My 1st kdrama was Mister Sunshine, and when I saw the title of this I thought their might be a connection in terms of Director or writers etc. In terms of this discussion, there is a connection I didn't realize until just now, they both deal with a relationship which simply can never happen. The second is it was my introduction to IU, which as changed my life in a very positive way. She is a Soth Korean National Treasure.

I was taken with this drama from the get go primarily because of IU acting and her life situation.   I didn't know how this drama was going to end but I knew it couldn't end with them begging together, especially in Korea, where age and status still play such a major factor in how people function within Korean society.   From that stand point it was heartbreaking but from the stand point of how they individually dealt with it and in the process were able to heal their emotional scars, any outcome that had then coming together as a couple would have destroyed the drama.  

I have watched this drama more times than anyother drama to date with the possible exception of Goblin with Mr Sunshine being a close runner-up.  

It is in no way overrated.  It is a near perfect combination of great story telling, high production values, great acting and a very good soundtrack. In fact the sound track is way underrated, as the songs moods, tempo, lyrics fit perfectly with the story and set the mood for whatever the scene is going to be about.

xxxzxxx, commented "The drama is overrated because the ML is dumb as fuck."  I would like to address this view, knowing full well I will very likely not change his view.  I myself am someone who can get very frustrated by shows, both American and Korean, where the actions of characters do not make sense are appear to be a contradiction to their character, or are just stupid for whatever reason.  I have expressed this regarding a few of the over 75 K dramas I have watched since first discovering k-dramas in 2019 with Mr. Sunshine.  That being said My Mister is not 0ne of those dramas.

xxxzxxx doesn't give an example of any scene or action that demonstrates what he is referring too, which makes addressing his opinion that much more difficult.  He makes an additional claim "I see some people call him "a good man" but he's not "a good man" - he's just stupid." which he also does not support with an example, although on this point he has a better argument and one I am understand, although not from the stupid stand point.  Mr xxxzxxx, seems to me to have a lack of knowledge about various human emontional and mental health conditions, like depression, that can make another persons decisions or actions seem irrational, illogical or "stupid".  It is extremely obvious that the male lead is suffering from depression and anxiety issues, no doubt as a result at least in part of the burden of being fully responsible for the financial security of his family while being the subjected to humiliation at work resulting from his junior passing him to become CEO and him being demoted and removed from his true passion of building design.   

Depression and anxiety certainly explain his withdrawal into himself. And has his mother stated numerous times, he has always been somewhat of an introvert, keeping his feeling internal and not expressing or sharing them with anyone. This also accounts for his distancing from his wife.  Which would make living with him very difficult.  And on this point I am talking from experience.  Mr. xxxzxxx either has never experienced such a degree of depression and/or has not had a close family member deal with it either. Or maybe he has but simply thought the person was being stupid, which isn't a criticism but rather simply being unaware of what was going on and lacking knowledge of this mental health issue.  For someone who has never experienced it and lacks understanding of how it impacts a person's daily life dealing with someone going through it is very frustrating and it seems that the person could if desired could simply snap out of it. 

I personally can't find anything in the ML actions that I could be considered to be anything approaching stupid, considering the context in which they occur.  Again since Mr. xxxzxxx doesn't give any examples of what he considers to be the ML stupidity, it is hard to address issue directly.  In fact the ML actions during majority of the half of the drama are reactions to events going on around him. Does Mr xxxzxxx think that accepting the Brown envelope was stupid? Does he think that keeping it initially was stupid? Was trusting his wife stupid? Was not knowing that his phone was bugged stupid? Was being concerned about a person he hired and who was a lot like him stupid? Was helping this person, who was obviously having a very difficult times stupid? Was considering keeping the money that would give him some breathing room and take off some of his stress, stupid?  There are not many people in the world that would not  consider keeping the money at least briefly, which is why Bribery is so effective.

At his core the ML is without any doubt a good person. His ethical and moral character are without question something that even his enemies acknowledge.  But he is withdrawn, do to his depression which makes it much more difficult for him to fight against those who wish to destroy him.

Again I can find nothing in is actions that come even close to being stupid.  Maybe Mr xxxzxxx will offer several examples which he considers as being stupid so that I and others can gain a prespective on where he is coming from.

Finally Mr xxxzxxx final criticism of My Mister being that he felt the writers were more concern with pleasing their target audience than writing a believable character, does make sense either. Is Mr xxxzxxx claiming that the target audience they were wanting to please are stupid?  That itself would be an extremely stupid claim. And if not stupid who is he talking about?  I hope he responds and give examples.

mvfoley1215:
Is Mr xxxzxxx claiming that the target audience they were wanting to please are stupid?

Hahaha..I don't know whether you meant it or not, but that made me laugh!

I am assuming he thinks the taregt audience are middle aged men?? 

What is really sad is that a character who acts morally is called "dumb as fuck". But, hey I am probably one of the stupid target audience lool.

saugaikun:

It's only you.

Yep, perfect quote, "It's only you."

I rated "My Mister" a 10/10. To this day I've watched the series many times and still, the drama brings me to tears....Yeah......pal, it's just you.

Random Series:

Hahaha..I don't know whether you meant it or not, but that made me laugh!

I am assuming he thinks the taregt audience are middle aged men?? 

What is really sad is that a character who acts morally is called "dumb as fuck". But, hey I am probably one of the stupid target audience lool. 

I'm not sure how it's possible to watch at least 3 KD and not realize by then that the target audience is women....

The majority of screenwriters are women and the dramas are targeted towards women. Just look at the ML in most KD and that should be obvious - this includes this drama.

mvfoley1215:
Finally Mr xxxzxxx final criticism of My Mister being that he felt the writers were more concern with pleasing their target audience than writing a believable character, does make sense either. Is Mr xxxzxxx claiming that the target audience they were wanting to please are stupid?  That itself would be an extremely stupid claim. And if not stupid who is he talking about?  I hope he responds and give examples.

Mr. idiot - Are you for real here? Have you ever watched an action movie where characters behave in certain ways because the writers know that's how their target audience prefer the characters to behave? Have nothing to do with stupidity and more to do with fantasies of the target audience.

If you've watched just a few KD and have a brain you'd realize pretty fast that the ML behave in a way to fit into the fantasy of the target audience - women.

A long time has gone by since I watched the drama so I don't remember the drama 100% but in real life the guy would have done the other girl 100%. This is a drama though so the writer decided to not have the husband be with that other girl to keep the fantasy of perfect husband and unrealistic self sacrificing man for the female audience. In real life though after everything that happened to him? 100% he would do that other girl.
The only reason a guy in real life wouldn't go with that other girl would be because he found her disgusting or the girl didn't actually want him. If a guy has a girl wanting him and is not ugly while his wife is cheating on him - 100% he's not turning down the other girl.  

But keep pretending that this writing is some next level profound take on "human emontional and mental health conditions"

mvfoley1215:
Was trusting his wife stupid?

She cheats on him with his superior at work. Then at the end of the drama he still has pictures of her indicating they are probably still married while she's in a different country - and you are here saying this character is not unrealistic?

The last thing any realistic character would do is have his cheating wife to go abroad where she'd be able to fuck around even more. In real life people do the opposite - they become more controlling. This character is straight up out of a fantasy. 

@Matip35

"The moral of the story is: if your girl cheats on you then you shouldn't do the same even if you have the chance to hook up with other chick who is hotter than your girl??. You can see the story was the work of a woman because there is no way a man could come up with such a submissive ML."

@Pau93 

"The wife cheats, the husband fines out, the husband has the opportunity to hice her a gaste lf her own medicines with IU who is way more pretty than the wife but he doesn't do it. Instead of cheating back he goes through the drama crying about it.
This drama screams "written by a woman". That is all I could think when I finished it. And people call it realistic..."

Mr. xxxzxxx I am glad you replied, I seriously didn't think you would, but I am equally disappointed that you didn't address in more depth items you consider show that the male lead is acting stupid which also implies outside or in conflict with his character.  If you think that a spouse who discovers that their partner has cheated and remains in a relationship with that person is a definition of being stupid then I can only response by saying you have a lot to learn and that based on your view of what being stupid is there are literally 10's if not 100's of millions of stupid people, and that includes yours truly.  Everyone makes mistakes, EVERYONE. And especially where are children involved  if you think divorce is the only or even best solution, well as I stated before you have a lot to learn.  Removing that person from your life, which you see  to be saying is the smart thing to do, doesn't end the relationship, again where children are involved. It simply changes the relationship and makes it much more stressful and more expensive.  If you think the smart move is to end a child producing relationship any or everytime the relationship runs into trouble them you are better never getting into one in the first place. As a side note more marriages end because of financial issues than infidelity.

And your claim of stupid writing if the infidelity is the primary basis for your claim, the drama doesn't even deal in any depth with the state of their relationship. We don't know if they divorced, separated, reconciled. We don't know. And your position that he has kept pictures of her, I personally don't remember that there is a scene showing that him in their apartment after all the other issues are resolved. We know she has gone to the States to see their son and spend sometime with him. Then 3 years pass and we learn nothing more about their relationship. We see him in the office of his new business, if their were any pictures of him and his wife or just his wife in the office scene I certainly missed it, but that would have been a way for then to tell us what the status of the relationship was at the end.  Regardless of what happened to their relationship in the end, calling  their decision stupid is honestly immature and ignorant on your part. Calling the entire drama stupid based on what happened to their relationship at the end simply makes no sense, as their relationship was not even the primary story line.  But it did add to the audiences gaining an deeper understanding of the pressures he was under which helped explain his behaviors and attitudes and also helps explain why his wife might be driven to seek outside of marriage something that the marriage had stop providing him. The fact that she went outside the marriage and he did not also give us an insight into who he is as a person.  He is  presently equally unhappy in the current state of their marriage, but he handles it differently than she does.  He is 100% committed to his responsibilities  to the marriage.  Something I can appreciate 100%.  When I could married way back in 1978 I committed  my life to it, the good and bad, in sickest and health for better or worst.   I would never ever divorce my wife or family, never.  She has felt the same and we both have lived by that standard. A standard that you apparently think is stupid.  We have had some extremely challenging times, times that would make their marriage problems look like child plays to be frank, but we never quit on the marriage, we always came through those times and we are better people, better parents and grandparents for having done so.  I am not trying to make myself sound like some type of superhuman, for God knows I am not.  But I could on many levels identify with the male lead, although I personally doubt that I could have resisted IU's advances like he did, but then he had a much stronger moral character than I do, a weakness I am all too familiar with.  But to call his strength stupid demonstrates a rather shallow personal characteristic.  I certain hope that you don't ever have to deal with the issues the ML had to deal with.    

On the issue of target audience, I think the claim that all kdramas are written solely for a female audience is very narrow minded, immature and ignorant.  The  evidence you offer for this appears to be the claim that a large percent of the screen writers you claim are female, which is an irrelevant point considering virtually all kdramas are based on stories from different places, countries and media .  You seem to think, at least the best that I can determine, is that if the drama deals with relationships and/or emotions then it is somehow written for women. Which would also mean that only violence and action dramas are written for men? Again this is a very narrow and ignorant position.  These dramas are no longer simply intended solely for the Korean market.  Netflix, Disney, Hulu and Apple TV have all invested in Korean drama content. Personally kdramas are the only dramas I watch and have watched for the past three years, finding the vast majority of American content to be stupid, annoying and ridiculous. Of course there are exceptions, but they are few.

If My Mister was written primarily for a female audience then I guess I am female.