Despite being Turkish myself I haven't watched a Turkish drama in ages. I can't bear the length even 1hr 15min K-dramas feel long and they are 2-3 hr in average not to mention it's common for Turkish dramas to have 100+ episodes (139 for the case of Magnificent Century). I have respect for people with patience to watch them. The way I remember there were lots of long stares, repetitive storylines etc. to fill the time.  I don't know if they improved or not.

i just newly addicted to Turkish drama.

i am watching Siyah Beyaz Ask and Karadayi (on netflix).

plan to watch : Ezel, Olene Kadar, Altinsoylar.

unfortunately Altinsoylar is not on netflix. Anyone can tell me where to watch Altinsoylar in youtube with eng subs ?

will plan to watch : Asi and Fatmagul too. @rainruma, Thanks for the synopsis and recommendation.

Can anyone recommend a drama similar to Siyah Beyaz Ask ?

This is what I want to be similar:

- Independent Outspoken Smart FL  and a Complex Dark Smart ML; better if  both are arrogant or or full of pride.  

- Better if either or both of the ML and FL have internal conflict and turmoil. i.e. a Tortured Soul!

- Their Personalities complement one another.  Each is what the other needed, no one else will do.

- Hate/Love  or enemies in love.

-  Witty and smart dialogue, especially wonderful banter b/w couple. 

- Most of all, I want the Passionate Intense True-love full of Angst!

Characters are more important to me than the plot.  If characters are complex, well-developed, conflicted and smart , I won't care about flaws in the drama.... ofc if the writing is good, that would be the best!

EDIT:  I don't mind length, or tragedy, or sad endings ... none of that matter to me.

Asi is a great drama 71 ep  enemies in love

@rainruma

I am Turkish, I used to watch every show on TV. But now due the no of eps and the ep duration of Turkish dramas, I‘m not keen to watch any Turkish show.

Still I would like to recommend some shows, based on your description. No idea where you can watch them dubbed/with subtitles.

ufak tefek cinayetler (eng: Some tiny little murders): Still airing, Somewhere around ep 20 rn I think. Well the main cast consists of four ladys. Two very confident and smart: One living off her husband’s money, very scheming and evil, one a doctor, very kind, angel like, but with broken wings broken by the evil years ago. The other two the opposite. The evil‘s husband falls in love with the angel. What I adore about this show? The styling of the actresses :D

hayat sarkisi (eng: Song of Life): Ended last summer, had around 50 eps. Two families, both start out poor. One of the dads deceives the other dad, thus becomes rich. Years later he wants to ask for forgiveness and suggests to marry their kids. The poor girl who was madly in love with the rich boy ever since they were little kids, is delighted. But the boy runs off at their wedding night. The girl, as stubborn and smart she is, fights for the arrogant boy‘s attention and heart. What I loved? The girl is very admirable. Despite everything she suffered through she was still able to fight back. And the dark/ridiculous comedy!

kara dayi (eng: dark uncle): Male lead is Kenan Imirzalioglu, female lead is Bergüzar Korel. Story is set in the 70‘s. Not sure how many eps. Like 80 maybe? Story: An older shoemaker gets wrongly accused for having murdered a judge in his office. Based on the evidences he will be surely hanged. The shoemaker’s son, as desperate as he is, he impersonates a judge/lawyer in training and infiltrates the court. Now with a false identity working under the female judge in charge of his father‘s trial, he tries to uncover the truth. Let me mention, the dead judge was the female judge’s mentor. She is convinced of the shoemaker’s guilt. Well, of course, they fall in love. What I loved: The angst, it was real. Their love story and chemistry was fantastic. The mystery was also well done. Why ‚dark uncle‘? The male lead has black hair, kinda dark skin. His little nephew nicknamed him Dark Uncle. 

Turkish dramas like a drug for me. If I start to a serie and if I liked I can't stop without watching. Now I'm watching Vatanim Sensin and it is very emotional and significant for me cause I'm half Turkish. So it's telling our history, how we won our victory. Events, characters and properties of the characters are amazing. I strongly recommend it. Also Turkish people likes tragic, sad, full of lie or threat in the movies. And of course there is a lot of funny movies too. :))

rainruma:

- Independent Outspoken Smart FL  and a Complex Dark Smart ML; better if  both are arrogant or or full of pride.  

- Better if either or both of the ML and FL have internal conflict and turmoil. i.e. a Tortured Soul!

- Their Personalities complement one another.  Each is what the other needed, no one else will do.

Characters are more important to me than the plot.  If characters are complex, well-developed, conflicted and smart , I won't care about flaws in the drama.... ofc if the writing is good, that would be the best!

Well I'm going to recommend two with Kivanç Tatlitug (curiously, he was supposed to be the protagonist of  Siyah Beyaz Ask, lol, but they did not write the drama on time so he took another drama instead); So I'll recommend Cezur ve Guzel (Hero falls in love with the daughter of his enemy aka tortured soul complex) and Kurt Seyit ve Sura (the heroine is actually a bit passive and not very outspoken but its still worth the watch because its a forbidden love...but soooooo much good angst and drama).

:D

@Gulsan

Thank you.  I am trying to get away form airing dramas.  I started SBA, while waiting for an airing C-drama and now feel stuck again, LOL .... I heard of Hayat Sarkisi.  I love this type of FL ....  Karadayi sounds very interesting, the enemies in love type of angst I like.  And I really like both lead actors :)

@Orulyon  .... Thank you :)

I am glad Kivanç Tatlitug isn't the lead in SBA.  Ibrahim Celikkol has that tough and rough look that is perfect for the character of Ferhat....  I can tell that they continued to write the drama after filming started, but that may be the case for most Turkish dramas , idk.  Maybe b/c they are too  long so can't write it all ahead of time!? ....  I've heard a lot about Kurt Seyit ve Sura , but it didn't excite me enough to start.  A passive heroine can be a big turn off for me .   However, you make it sound very good w/ the forbidden love and angst, just what I'm looking for ;)

I have been tempted to watch Cezur ve Guzel, but heard it's a let down ...  I just checked and the writer is same as Fatmagul, so it has to be good!!! Fatmagul is one of best written shows I've seen! .... ....  The writers of  Siyah Beyaz Ask (SBA) are same as Kara Para Ask (KPA), which was disappointing somehow, but I loved the Lead characters (Omer & Elif) and actors (<3 Engin Akyurek <3).   Both have similar character for Female lead, it's the type I love.   

rainruma:

EDIT:  I don't mind length, or tragedy, or sad endings ... none of that matter to me.

rainruma..  Unfortunately i didn't find any other turkish drama similar to Siyah Beyaz Ask (Black and White Love). 

But there is an Indian drama called "MADHUBALA " which is similar to Siyah Beyaz Ask. The hero is very intense, dark, possessive and jealous. He is an anti-hero with tortured past and behaves like a jerk generally.  His sense of humour and sarcasm is unique. The female lead is independent, strong and doesn't take shit from hero.  They have a  love-hate relationship. He is very arrogant and she is very prideful. She is a perfect match for him.  He is dark whereas she is white. His love for her is super obsessive.. I love this drama a lot.

This drama is very popular and is dubbed in many languages including turkish. In turkish it is called "YALANCI BAHAR". I don't know how it is dubbed in turkish, but their voices and dialogues are very beautiful in it's original hindi language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3FVPRIGz7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BFBWlOB_Ek

@chinnim ...   Thank you.  I already replied  in the other thread.

I have a feeling  Siyah Beyaz Aşk is gonna be one of those rare gems that will certainly become among my top faves.    It's rare to see such characters, and the dialogue is simply wonderful!

@chinnim , looks interesting but do u now where to watch with Eng 

rainruma:

@chinnim ...   Thank you.  I already replied  in the other thread.

I have a feeling  Siyah Beyaz Aşk is gonna be one of those rare gems that will certainly become among my top faves.    It's rare to see such characters, and the dialogue is simply wonderful!

Well I only watched the first 5 eps of Siyah Beyaz ask and I can tell you that from all other Turkish drama I've watched its definitely much much less cliché and darker than the others.  Also I believe Siyah beyaz is the best rated turkish drama of all time, so I'm guessing you are right, it's a rare gem, its rating surpasses all others by far. :D

Is there any place we can request for English subtitles of a turkish drama? There's one called Meryem Tales of Innocence which is supposed to be based on the kdrama Secret. I kind of wanted to check it out to see if it's as good (Secret one of my fave melos) but there's no full english subtitle for whole episodes- just some clips?

redxxxcrimson:

@chinnim , looks interesting but do u now where to watch with Eng 

I don't know about eng sub.. but the drama is so popular that it got subbed in many languages. Which language do you speak? I will search if it got subbed in your language or not : )