DramaReign:
We may end up finding one by miracle,

This thread has convinced me we do not have the full picture of the music scene in the 90's, in Korea, as we are very much outsiders! Thus, there may very well be a song that checks all the boxes!

I mean, just look at the currently airing  25-21 which is set in the same era. Though that drama seems to have been based on the song by the same name, 25-21 by Jaurim (i.e. the plot idea came *after* the song), it still gives me hope that there is a song-soulmate out there for our SD1D remake! ^^

Or, I don't know... Wu Bai probably had two very ardent Korean fans back in the late 90's? :P (I'm South Asian, but I know a few Korean artists and their works by heart!) xD

I am too lacking in Korean music knowledge to come up with the perfect song, but this is such an interesting question it got me very curious. 

There are so many great songs of that time, especially ballads, that I don't think the producers need to resort to remaking Last Dance or even creating a new song. Personally, I think it has to be a real song from that period so that the audience can relate to it, and bring out the longing and nostalgia that comes from music of the times. The Reply series and even Hospital Playlist wouldn't have the same feel if all its music was new/written for the show.

I would love for the producers to go for a similar rock-blues feel, but as far as I know this style of music wasn't as mainstream during that period in Korean (which maybe could work in its favor). I came across a rock-pop-ballad by YADA "Already Sad Love"  which I thought gave the same heartbreaking feels as Last Dance, especially in the chorus, and now I can't stop imagining it as the song ^^. (Though its lyrical content might be too on the nose.) 

- YADA (야다) - Already Sad Love (이미 슬픈사랑) - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz8GBHf1mq8

If not the rock-ballad route, I think a song from an established ballad artist like Lee Sun Hee could also work. "Always Miss You" has a lovely bluesy feel.

- Lee Sun Hee (이선희) - Always Miss You (나 항상 그대를) - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqvPL5zuJmA

Some other contenders:

- PANIC (패닉) - Snail (달팽이) also came to mind, but it was used in the Prison Playbook OST so unlikely to be used... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wNPY1lSo8Mc

- Shin Seung Hun (신승훈) - Reflection of You in Your Smile (미소속에 비친 그대) - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k4X0z_LvDDs

Note: I picked out some songs based on their popularity and feels, not necessarily fitting the exact year.

Aadia:
The Reply series and even Hospital Playlist wouldn't have the same feel if all its music was new/written for the show.

Absolutely, I think so as well. Heck, even SD1D original fans would not be bawling their eyes off, had Wu Bai & China Blues not been a real part of their memory, and Last Dance been a fictional song written for the purpose of the show! <3

I checked out all the songs you mentioned, and while blues-rock wasn't the 'it' genre in Korea, unlike Taiwan in 90's... I do think they have a rich history of 'western-inspired' music... and stuff that would appeal to the youth back then, a LOT!

I'm loving this thread because I get to check out cool, old songs. I'm pissed they took 25-21 of Jaurim, and used it for a drama where the song wasn't done justice to (the drama, objectively was good though)... so that song's crossed off.

I assume the Korean Working Title of the show is still 'Please Come To Me' or Naegero Wajwo  ( 내게로 와줘), whereas the English Title is 'A Time Called You'. I always found it super cool, that the show-writers of the original tied in the English & Taiwanese titles of the show with the titles of the opening & ending credits of the show! By extension of a similar logic, we should get an opening song with English Lyrics called 'A Time Called You', and an ending song called 'Naegero Wajwo', much in the pattern of the original?!! :')

I find it funny that the original's ending song is called 'Miss You 3000' (in English) but the native title is still 'Xiang Jiang Ni' (meaning 'I want to see you', like the Taiwanese title of the show). And you posted Lee Sun Hee's song called 'Always Miss You'. I think you might be onto something! :P The series maybe called whatever, but native fans from Korea still refer to it as 'Sang-Gyeon-Ni' ['Want to See You'] which is phonetically super close to 'Xiang Jiang Ni'. 

Whatever song is chosen in the remake, the scriptwriter must provide a good reason. Here is why "Last Dance" is chosen:

Last Dance is the scriptwriter's favorite song from Wu Bai and it was not popular. People don't pay attention to B-side as much, just like how people don't pay attention to CYR, so very fitting to this drama. This is also why the characters can listen to this song right after putting the tape in, since this song is the first song on the B side of the album "The End Of Love".

Refer to:

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/some-day-or-one-day/46677-translated-very-long-has-spoilers-interview-and-other-infos

David Sun:

Whatever song is chosen in the remake, the scriptwriter must provide a good reason. Here is why "Last Dance" is chosen:

Last Dance is the scriptwriter's favorite song from Wu Bai and it was not popular. People don't pay attention to B-side as much, just like how people don't pay attention to CYR, so very fitting to this drama. This is also why the characters can listen to this song right after putting the tape in, since this song is the first song on the B side of the album "The End Of Love".

Refer to:

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/some-day-or-one-day/46677-translated-very-long-has-spoilers-interview-and-other-infos

FL lost a bet as a kid and had to learn the "black cat" dance, later on every time someone lost  a bet against her, then she made them dance that.They could utilize an ancient mp3 player that has a non writable internal memory, but can still play that one song.

Anyway they could make up whatever to make it an integral part of the story, the point is that the song is going to play 40 times & there aren't many songs in existence that people can tolerate like that.

Seems like Wu Bai's 愛情的盡頭 Album is being replaced by Byun Ji Sub's 너에게로 또다시  

홀로 된다는 것 Album, if I'm not wrong... Record shop no 27's star feature on the window is this album, as per leaks! ^^

The Album's English title is..... 'Being Alone'.  I believe the latter's album has 25 10tracks, just like Wu Bai's Album.
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=byun+jin+sub+홀로+된다는+것+tracks&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
This is the track listing!

Edit: His songs are quite on-the-nose too. Super cringey/ soapy titles!  Haha, I can totally imagine the leads jamming to these songs!! xD

Oh nice! Thanks for sharing the news. Byun Ji Sub was featured in Reply 1988 too I think, so it’s definitely suitably nostalgic.

I wonder what THE track will be (if that hasn’t been confirmed yet)? I like the feel of “It’s Too Late” but that might just be my personal music preferences coming through ^^ 

Wow this is such a good question. I don't know Korean songs well so I'm not sure but I really can't wait to hear what song will be used. If they can't find one might have to produce one. 

David Sun:

Refer to:

When I watched the series I felt special about "Last Dance." Wow the scriptwriter is so thoughtful even in choosing the theme song for the series. 

I love this thread, both for seeing/hearing everyone's fun ideas and for finding out what they actually are using in the remake - thanks Chibi! I was really curious about it too as Last Dance is such an infectious earworm, and it's still firmly stuck in my head. (I kept trying to think what it reminded Western me of, and eventually realised it's probably Whiter Shade of Pale) The only vaguely similar Korean tracks I could come up with were 70s, not 90s, so they wouldn't really work with the plot. Shall look forward to seeing how they make the Byun Ji Sub songs work.

oofy:

I love this thread, both for seeing/hearing everyone's fun ideas and for finding out what they actually are using in the remake - thanks Chibi! I was really curious about it too as Last Dance is such an infectious earworm, and it's still firmly stuck in my head. (I kept trying to think what it reminded Western me of, and eventually realised it's probably Whiter Shade of Pale) The only vaguely similar Korean tracks I could come up with were 70s, not 90s, so they wouldn't really work with the plot. Shall look forward to seeing how they make the Byun Ji Sub songs work.

While I always liked Whiter Shade of Pale, which would work for an American remake, I think Last Dance is a better song, the emotions conveyed are different and it feels more impactful, to me. (plus it's incredible sonically, if you have a good pair of headphones, or something else decent)

But yeah, I have never heard a Korean song that is even close to similar. I still think going with Turbo's Black Cat would be a decent compromise, to put a comedic spin on it, instead of trying to aim for the impossible & then annoying us to death with a boring song.

Then again who knows, I'm sure Korea too has an Underground movement, there might be a hidden gem there somewhere..

Trailer was released. I think they might be going with Seo Ji Won - “Gather My Tears” (1996)

David Sun:

If the song is played from cassette tape like the original, it should be the first song of either A or B side of cassette, because cassette player can not pick a song randomly.

PS: "Last Dance" is the first song of B side in the album, The End Of Love.

Back in the 

David Sun:

If the song is played from cassette tape like the original, it should be the first song of either A or B side of cassette, because cassette player can not pick a song randomly.

PS: "Last Dance" is the first song of B side in the album, The End Of Love.

they did have cassette singles back in the 1990's where it was ONLY one song so you didn't have to buy the whole album and was cheaper so they should have used that instead or even CDs since there were CDs and Walkman Portable CD players then too 

SMIJCA:

I can’t believe your post doesn’t have more replies. This is SUCH a great question!

The only song I’ve found that would have that same feel as Wu Bai’s “Last Dance,” is “Rebirth” by Yoon Jong Shin.

I reaaally like this answer! Though this is not a typical sad ballad like the drama decided on, I actually think that this song’s tone would be a perfect contrast to all the angst and longing in the plot. Like, the song sounds happy upon first listen, but in the context of the plot, it would become melancholic. I mean, I would say “Last Dance” is more nostalgic than it is melancholic, but I think the difference between the two would also allow the two versions of the drama to stand apart. And plus, “Rebirth” has a memorable opening just like “Last Dance”!