In the sixteenth Heisei era Kamen Rider series, which is also the twenty-fifth installment of Kamen Rider franchise, Shinnosuke Tomari, a young detective in Special Investigation Unit of the Metropolitan Police Department fights against the Roidmudes, a race of robots fighting humanity for supremacy lead by Heart and Brain. With the help of his partner/scientist mentor/Transformation belt Krim Steinbelt, Shinnosuke becomes Kamen Rider Drive, A man made hero with the powers of automobiles.
- Native Title: 仮面ライダードライブ
- Also Known As: Kamen Raidā Doraibu , Masked Rider Drive , Kamen Driver Drive
- Directors: Morota Satoshi, Ryuta Tasaki, Nakazawa Shojiro, Takayuki Shibasaki, Osamu Kaneda, Yamaguchi Kyohei
- Screenwriters: Junko Komura, Sanjo Riku, Hasegawa Keiichi, Mouri Nobuhiro
- Genres: Action, Adventure, Mystery, Tokusatsu, Comedy, Youth, Drama, Sci-Fi, Family, Detective, Investigation
Cast & Credits
- Takeuchi RyomaShinnosuke Tomari / Kamen Rider DriveMain Role
- Uchida RioKiriko ShijimaMain Role
- Inaba YuGo Shijima / Kamen Rider MachMain Role
- Katono TaikouChase / Proto Driver / Machine Chaser/ Kamen Rider ChaserMain Role
- Peppler ChrisDrive Driver / Krim SteinbeltSupport Role
- Warabino TomoyaHeartSupport Role
What also struck me about this series were the Roidmude, particularly the main trio- initially appearing to be cruel killing machines, their backstories painted them as being sympathetic and nuanced- androids made to feel pain and suffering, yet treated as objects to be abused and disposed of by their owner. Thus, they were some of the better Kamen Rider antagonists that I've seen.
My main complaint with the series is that, approximately until the reveal of Chase's identity, the series seems to trundle along in a monster-of-the-week type way and seemed fairly uninteresting, to the point where I dropped it for about two months before tentatively starting it again. The first 15 or so episodes required a bit of patience to get through. That being said, the story really shifts into top gear after this, so don't be discouraged.
All that's left to say; "Nice Drive!"