Pandora (2016) poster

129 titles 77 loves 4
Korean Movies

BlueberryCheesecake
Feb 16, 2017
A disaster-themed movie has quite often produced in Korean Industry these days. But what makes this movie really interesting was, it's purpose to criticize the Korean Government (President Park Scandal, Sewol Tragedy) as well as the concern of many regarding a nuclear power plant in southern areas which is peril of earthquake.

The movies showed a lil bit of government's incapacity to react on national crisis due to politics and nation's image issues. And this fatal mistakes led to a bigger crisis and loss from their citizen. The pace was fast. We got straight to the main crisis on the first few minutes, but the writer still capable to maintain the depth of each character. There wasn't any flashback scene (almost), unlike the usual Korean Movie's with fast pace plot, but we still able to understand each character's idealism and initial heart.

Pandora showed a good, undisturbing, graphics. There wasn't any action and all the focus was to solve one big crisis in any way feasible. Surprisingly, with this thick and intense plot, Pandora wasn't boring at all. In fact, we were brought to a roller coaster of emotion, right from the very start. A mass production, with the purpose to remind that a big advantage has the same amount of risk within it. Entertaining, as well as educating (who knows that South Korea has 24 nuclear power plant in 9 southern cities?)

That's it the Pandora.
"Don't close your eyes because of fear. Don't cover your ears because of fears. We have opened the Pandora's Box. Although disaster were inside. Wasn't there also hope?"

Marooya
Dec 14, 2016
I’ll start by saying this..., Pandora is a movie that definitely surprised me! To be honest I was “in” purely for the cast because the synopsis did not sell itself to me, I've seen similar themed movies so it didn't feel original and I still say it's not "original" per-se. However it's the emotional ride that counts here!

As I've already have mentioned it probably won't be new to some of you as similar themes have been done before maybe not a Korean movie but it's still not “brand new”. However the way it was delivered, the emotional journey you go through while watching it makes it one of the most quality story lines for such types of movies I've seen thus far. I did not expect to get all emotional while watching this, I can assure of that, but things just don't always turn out they way you expect them to do.

Pandora story is told in a way that would get you attached to the characters very fast!! This is just beyond wonderful because normally it takes a whole drama with 16 ep+ for me to get attached to the characters (that is if I get attached at all). Somehow in Pandora, you can relate to the characters and feel them, which is what makes it a very emotional ride without being a tearjerker or tire you down with emotional scenes on purpose. In fact, this is what I loved about the plot, it not trying to be over the top or play the emotion game. The writer has managed to keep things in tact without draining you with all the tragic events. Pandora story pretty much mastered the love, friendship, loyalty, sacrifice, neighbors, heroic acts, dirty politicians... all in one plot which is over 2 hours without tiring me.

Acting:
Kim Nam Gil: He is the main reason why I decided to go all the way to the cinema in the cold harsh winter and watch this movie, which didn't appeal to me at first. If you are reading this review and have never seen anything for this man I earnestly ask you to pls hunt his profile down and WATCH HIM! Simply because there are no words that could be said, enough to compliment this amazing actor. He has yet again embraced me with his impressive beyond words performance but this time with a Jeolla Satturi accent! This is my first time watching him preform this accent and he's one of the best K-actors who perfectly mastered it to the point that I had to remind myself that it is truly KNG! His performance didn't just move me, it moved the whole audience in the theater, and the whole hall was crying in tears and crying in heart. Amazing heartfelt sincerity that broke my heart into pieces.

Jeong Jin Yeong: This man owned the first half of the movie! I've had the pleasure of seeing this actor before but I was even more delighted to see him here because what he showed me here is on a whole different level. He is my favorite character from start to end, loved Pyeong Seob with all my heart! Such a courageous, righteous, wonderful character played by this wonderful mister.

Han Joo Hyun: What a wonderful surprise! I've seen this girl twice but never like in Pandora. This movie has to be her breakthrough! When I was watching her I couldn't resist falling for her, her character is my 2nd favorite but how Joo Hyun played it is just too precious. The whole time I was so impressed I couldn't avoid my girl-crush. She stood her ground as a new talent among these giant actors! Bravo!

As for the rest of the cast I honestly loved them all, Kim Myung Min, Lee Kyeong Yeong, Kim Young-Ae what a stellar cast!

Re-watch
I don't really re-watch things (except for few exceptions), and in my opinion even for those who do re-watch I don't think it's the type of movie that you'd want re-watch.

Overall
**Although I would love to say this is a movie for everyone, but it would be wiser to say that it's a movie for those who don't mind bloody scenes. The story isn't aggressive but "nuclear power plant" is involved so scenes of injuries are bound to happen, just a warning ahead for those who hate the sight of blood.

Compelling emotional story, high quality direction and production, and finally stellar cast. I’d love to state all the points I loved about it but I tried not to give anything away so I will conclude my review in one sentence, “try not to miss Panodra” :)

Bri
Aug 11, 2017
GOOOD LORD!! I don't think I can cry any more. I think I have ran out of tears!! I'm going to try not to give spoilers...but when it's categorized as "tragedy" they mean it! This is the first movie ever to actually make me full out sob, and it's not even a true story! Normally, if a movie is sad, I'll tear up a bit, oh no no OH CONTRAIRE If you don't want to cry, don't watch this.........Other than the crying part (lol) The story was really good, cast was on point, and music was perfect! My only issue is, I know it's a disaster movie, and the people are supposed to be panicking.......But does almost every single person need to yell?? I understand the panic, but please panic at a lower volume....yeah thanks haha

ale
Mar 20, 2017
The Korean movie industry has been producing good movies all year round and Pandora is not an exception. Quality-wise you can't criticize this movie. They didn't hold back from showing what radiation can do to the human body and the desperation with which people try to escape this fate in a nuclear disaster. Thanks to the actors and actresses, that I am sadly not familiar with, the movie came to life and was believable.

However, even though I am not an expert on nuclear power plants, I couldn't help but be sceptical in some scenes. For example if the radiation is that high and the people were clearly on site where the power plant is, then shouldn't they immediately die from the exposure? In these scenes they could have pushed the image of "horror" involving this disaster more. What irresponsible people worked there when they just ignore leakage and other important stuff? It kinda seemed unrealistic to me that they handled the issue of a power plant exploding this lightly.

On another note, I liked how they focused on the different point of views from governmental authorities and residents to workers and Jaehyeok instead of solely settling on a heroic position and telling a story through just one perspective. Even though "Pandora" didn't keep me on my toes for approximately the first half of the movie or more (due to slow progress) they managed to get me afterwards as slowly everything went downhill. I know they intentionally wanted to make the viewers emotional with sacrificing someone but I gladly accepted this emotional rollercoaster at the end since the acting convinced me that much.

Last but not least can! I! get! an! amen! Their critical approach towards Korea's current political situation and the usage of power plants definitely receives some plus points. When directors use their platform right to bring a message across to the audience it's always admirable.

Megan
Dec 6, 2017
Ended on a strong message that we cannot close our eyes and cover our eyes to the damage we are causing to our planet. That if we care about our children's future, we must face down fear of the unknown with hope and dedication.

The movie was really well done. Great cast and special effects. The storyline was crafted together well. Power plant meltdowns are not easy to explain to the general public but I thought they did a good job without making me feel bored.

I took a class on how government in the U.S. operates during natural disasters and I couldn't help but think about all the ways the government in this movie went wrong. It was an interesting thought experiment that added to the overall depth of the film. I feel like something was lacking in the film that is keeping me from running out to the store to buy it. I think the characters weren't fleshed out enough. If they had spent just a little more time on developing them and their relationships, I think the movie would've been a smash hit.

But I definitely recommend  watching it. My heart was racing the whole time which is truly the mark of a great thriller.

May 11, 2017
Ollywood to take care, because Koreans are coming ...
This film really surprised me, the techniques and special effects are very close to Hollywood standards, I believe that in ten years, Korean film productions may be matching or even surpassing Hollywood. It may seem exaggerated but the cost of Korean production is much lower, and even with this deficiency they can work miracles with the little resource you have. This is because recordings are usually made only within the country itself.
As an example in this film, while Hollywood productions are preoccupied with ever more surprising and absurdly impossible effects, Korean productions follow the line of simplicity, of the real, of what could actually happen in real hypotheses of a possible radioactive leak. Another highlight is the common citizens who participated in the film, were thousands of South Korean citizens who participated in the recordings, all because they love their country and appreciate the cost.
A great film of catastrophes counting in a coherent way without much embellishment, everything to get closer to a reality.

kaishally BTS army
Aug 8, 2018
firstly i was watching documentry on Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster than i watched this to understand more about nuclear power plants.
it greatly helped me in understanding how nuclear power plants can be nightmare for humans to extend level.
movie is based on how incapable workers,authorities' handling power plants ,including poor communication and coordination between nuclear regulators, utility officials, and the government. "laid bare a host of an even bigger man-made vulnerabilities in Japan's nuclear industry and regulation, from inadequate safety guidelines to crisis management, all of which he said need to be overhauled" this lie struck me hard

sometimes their own these causes forced together to make man kind inferior in front of their own inventions.
by this movie i got so many new feelings towards all people in world who do such dangreous work knowing that any mishapp can take their life yet they do it for society,welfare of humankind,and their families.

in this i respect all actors and staff Excellent movie, from the start to the end, definitely worth watching to see the fears of Nuclear Power plants for its workers, the workers families, the community that surrounds one and the people on top who are supposed to keep everyone safe.

scarificing for country is not easy we must remember them ~~~

PrashastSingh
Mar 18, 2018
All know very well that South Korean movies are emotionally very engaging. When I started to watch this disaster-action film PANDORA, I wasn't expecting anything of the grade it went on to transform into. Yes, the trailer raised expectations and I knew what the film would be about, but I didn't know it would be this excellent.

PANDORA is a film which takes some time to build up, but when it does, it doesn't let go of the grip it has on you. I was seriously left spellbound as to what would happen next. Certain scenes are so well filmed that they deserve a standing ovation.

The performances are extremely mindblowing. They hold you very well, especially Kim Nam-gil's performance in the climax. I mustn't forget to mention that I was seriously crying and shedding tears while watching the emotional scenes. After TRAIN TO BUSAN, this is the second South Korean film which made me cry.

The technical aspects are amazing. The cinematography is decent, the visual effects are excellent and the action sequences: simply jaw- dropping.

PANDORA is a film which isn't a must see but indeed a SHOULD see movie.

Zdravka Koleva
Oct 13, 2019
I highly recommend watching this masterpiece of a movie as it was the most brilliant thing I have seen in my entire life. I have not cried this much especially for a film. It left me completely speechless as I could only think that everything was real ; that's how intense everything was : the cast, the acting, the special effects, absolutely everything.
I am completely shocked that this amazing movie doesn't have a single award as it deserves oscars.
If you have a weak heart and cry very easily I suggest you prepare yourself for non-stop crying before clicking on the start button. Also if the plot doesn't seem the most appealing to you please just give it at least a try. It really is something that not everyone would like but so worth it.

Sr Kenpachi
Nov 1, 2019
O descaso de empresas e autoridades com as consequências de seus atos, assim como a ganância humana, são muitas vezes a causa de grandes catástrofes. Pandora chega, já no início, com um discurso sobre como a usina nuclear local (ponto central da história) é praticamente indestrutível.

Projetada para resistir a um terremoto de nível 7, a antiga usina nuclear localizada em uma pequena cidade sul coreana é a principal fonte de trabalho de seus habitantes. Entre eles estão Kang Jae-Hyuk, um homem de família simples que almeja um futuro diferente do que a cidade tem a oferecer, seus quatro amigos de infância, incluindo a namorada, e Pyeong-Seok. Kang Jae-Hyuk e o típico funcionário ciente dos riscos, mas que nunca é ouvido por seus superiores.

Atingida por um tremor de grande escala, a usina começa a apresentar uma série de problemas causados pela manutenção inadequada. Diante do risco de uma potencial explosão nuclear que pode afetar a todo o país, há uma equipe despreparada para lidar com as consequências de tamanha catástrofe. Na tentativa de impedir danos aos caros reatores nucleares e “evitar o pânico da população”, uma diretoria preocupada com prejuízos e um governo fraco arriscam a vida de milhões de inocentes ao esconder a dimensão do problema. Enquanto isso, trabalhadores e cidadãos lutam para sobreviver e salvar suas famílias.

O clima de tensão é bem construído e consegue deixar o telespectador aflito e desesperado em vários momentos, tanto nas cenas de pânico desenfreado quanto no embate entre o lado impassível e lógico das autoridades mais experientes contra a sensibilidade do jovem presidente, você consegue sentir toda tensão como se estivesse ali.

Os diálogos do filme, principalmente perto do final, são cheios de impacto e peso, realmente conseguem passa todo sentimento pelas palavras, mas como nem tudo são flores, há um certo exagero no filme, o extenso monólogo final de Jae-Hyuk que o diga, mas os personagens são bem trabalhados e as boas atuações compensam, combinados à trilha sonora.

O roteiro se desenvolve bem ao trabalhar todos os lados da história de forma interligada. Os muitos personagens são apresentados de forma rápida, mas com poucas sentenças ou atitudes são capazes de transmitir suas personalidades , indicando com clareza seus papéis na trama. A evolução de Jae-Hyuk enquanto protagonista é natural, assim como a tensão crescente que surge entre seus familiares durante o clímax do filme. Yeon-Joo, sua namorada, é uma personagem feminina forte, que assume a liderança do grupo de cidadãos em fuga com facilidade.

Os cenários e efeitos especiais são grandiosos, o filme tem uma clara crítica à relação custo vs vidas, enfatizando a frieza com que a salvação ou o sacrifício de seres humanos é discutida, pois os poderosos estão preocupados com o prejuízo da usina e não com as vidas que ali se encontram. Pandora cumpre o que promete e prende a atenção do espectador do início ao fim.