Cheese in the Trap (2016) poster

moshito
Mar 3, 2016
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion on the drama. I would be the last person to question why someone feels the way they do about it. If someone felt it went downhill and was terrible, that's valid. If someone thinks the overall experience was amazing, that's valid, along with all the other opinions people may have.

My advice: I think there's a general agreement that the beginning of the drama was strong. Watch it. If you get to the point where you're starting to doubt if you should continue or not, then make your decision and drop it or watch on. There's a reason people are talking, and people are angry. There are various reactions, but they're all strong reactions. Love it or hate it. I think that's the magic. So to new viewers, give it a chance and see where you stand.

To me this drama meant something. I could relate to it on so many levels and became really invested in the story and the characters. It's not the drama you can just watch and feel good about. It makes you think. Who are these people? Why do they act this way? It will make you laugh, cry, squeal, squirm, and rage. It's a slice of life drama, but(!) that's not to say that people who want to escape reality and dream of a happy romance won't be happy.

Again, just watch it. See why it's got everyone riled up, and where you stand. If that's not enough, it's got a kick-ass soundtrack, gorgeous actors and actresses portraying all sorts of personalities, and great wardrobe to inspire your outfits!

megan
Mar 25, 2017
I'm really unsure of my feelings towards this show. There were some things I loved, others that I hated. There were many times were I just wanted to stop watching the show, but I had to know how it would end.

My biggest issue was probably the male lead, Yoo Jung. With regards to the actor playing him, he did a really good job. But he does look a lot older than he should. Yoo Jung is just an unlikable character throughout the show. I'm not sure if the few glimpses of his past was supposed to make me feel sympathy for him, but it only strengthened my disdain for him. He has no redeeming qualities and frustrated me to no end. The Yoo Jung storyline was tiring and disappointing

The relationship between Yoo Jung and the female lead, Hong Seol, made no sense. They have absolutely no chemistry as a couple, it's uncomfortable to watch. It felt unnatural and forced. The way Hong Seol continuously rationalised and accepted Yoo Jung's actions because he did those things for her was upsetting as well, especially towards the end.

Baek In Ha and Baek In Ho were wonderful, I loved them. Honestly, I wish there was more focus on them. Also, Baek In Ho and Hong Seol had such a great relationship / friendship, you could see and feel their natural and effortless connection. They should have been together.

My disdain for Yoo Jung himself and his relationship with Hong Seol aside, this is a good drama. Phenomenal acting, and an okay storyline with compelling supporting characters. The ending wasn't as conclusive as I would have liked, but it wasn't too bad. I wont rewatch this though, I might just die from frustration.

I wouldn't recommend this to you if you're looking for something romantic and lighthearted, because this show is not it. It's also not exactly a dark or sinister show. If you're curious about it, watch a few episodes and see how you feel. And if you want to stop watching it, I won't blame you. You could even skip right to the last episode, you won't have missed out on too much, seeing as the storyline is very predictable.

Dropped 16/16
myungsooo
Mar 1, 2016
Dropped 2
An extremely realistic, slice-of-life drama depicting a love story in the context of university life. This drama does not make use of usual plot devices (e.g. cross-dressing) nor dramatic incidents (e.g. amnesia), but manages to channel a very well thought-out storyline. Kim Go Eun executed a stellar performance here, channeling the pragmatic, down-to-earth yet flawed personality (in some aspects) of Seol, allowing the audience to relate to her easily. The engimatic character Yoo Jung, played by Park Hae Jin will only encourage you to keep watching, for you to find out his true self. Seo Kang Joon was intensely immersed in his role as well, and I truly enjoyed his performance here! A special mention goes out to Eun Taek and Bora (played by Nam Joo Hyuk and Park Min Ji respectively) - I loved their side love story and it was the sweetest thing ever! :)

The soundtrack was the best I could hope for, with the main bulk of it being K-Indie, which was absolutely fitting for the atmosphere created by the drama.

A pity that the drama experienced some controversial issues over the directing as well as bad publicity from the original webtoon - this could be attributed to the mishandling of the issue by the PD, plaguing the last few episodes of the production and generating a slew of negative and angry feedback by the viewers. Despite these setbacks, this drama was truly a great reflection of reality - the troubles and setbacks one would face, the workings of the inner mind, the suspicion of other individuals, and a whole lot more. Definitely worth a watch!

xmoonbyulx
Mar 2, 2016
I had a very enjoyable time watching Cheese in the Trap every week!

STORY:
For most of the drama, the story and plot lines had me hooked. It was engaging and it didn't drag much, plus, I was pleasantly surprised that there was no amnesia! Though I'm a little disappointed with how rushed and abrupt the drama wrapped up in the last 2 episodes or so, and how the last episode wasn't as satisfying as I would've liked, Cheese in the Trap was still an amazing, memorable drama-watching experience.

CHARACTERS and ACTING:
Usually in drama-land, you fall in love with the male lead instantly, or over a few episodes. However, with Yoo Jung, the male lead, he was extremely mysterious, and his menacing, confusing actions had me on my toes. I love how his personality and motives were slowly revealed throughout the drama, and I ended liking his character despite his flaws. Park Hae Jin played Yoo Jung's complex, mysterious character so, so well, and his acting was phenomenal.
For the female lead, Hong Seol, I found her very easy to relate to. She was awkward and shy, but slowly throughout the drama, she started to stand up for herself. I loved the scenes when she mustered up the courage to stand up for what as right. Towards the end of the drama, I felt that her character was a little passive, but nevertheless, I liked her a lot. Unlike some of the female leads I've seen, I didn't find her character annoying at all. Kim Go Eun was perfect as Hong Seol, and as this is her first drama, I thought she was great. Her acting really moved me (especially the crying scenes), and she has a very adorable smile!
The chemistry between the two main leads was great; they were a very cute couple. It was nice that they slowly opened up to each other and understood each other throughout the drama. Their relationship had many ups and downs, but it was realistic and believable.
I also really loved the second male leadBaek In Ho's character. He was very in tune with Seol and understood her very well. I was completely mesmerized when he played the piano!! I definitely suffered some second lead syndrome in this drama haha ^^ Seo Kang Joon was absolutely great. This is my first drama of his, and can't wait to see more. He's extremely cute!
As for side characters, all actors were fantastic. (e.g. Eun Taek, and props to Lee Sung Kyung who played the crazy, exaggerated Baek In Ha!) Antagonists came and went in this drama, but they were all very well played and easy to hate. (Oh Young Gon, Min Soo) Overall, all actors were great, and the characters as well.

MUSIC:
The OST's in Cheese in the Trap were perfection. They had a very relaxed type of vibe to it, fiit the drama very well and enhanced many of the scenes. My favourite track has to be My Time With You by Vanilla Acoustic. I just couldn't get it out of my head when I first heard it.

OVERALL:
I thoroughly enjoyed every episode of Cheese in the Trap and I'm very sad to let it go. If you want a relatable, slice-of life, romance-thriller drama with few cliches, this is the one for you! Don't get discouraged to watch this drama and just go for it! In general it was worth the watch and an enjoyable ride :)

94loveKdrama
Mar 2, 2016
I bet you're hesitating right now. should I watch it or not? My answer would be just simple no any other reasons just go watch it chingu!

This drama made me so addicted, although there are no daebbak moments for me I still love it. This drama will make u say, aaaaw I wish I had a friend like that (bora and eun taek are awesome).

I'll recommend this to to you if you're into romance, the story is good, one thing's for sure it made me smile.

cast? all of them are great, *thumbs up* the characters? it's either you'll love them, hate them or feel nothing at all. Each character has a story and its interesting. look forward to baek in ha! baek in ho okay good too! kekekek

rewatched value. lol. I watch it the second time around, like I said its addicting.
I love the music.

answers left undone. half way it did gave me some little bit of disappointment but if I look back in their story, their friendship, their conflicts and their love story and the addiction that they gave me I realized it is incomparable that's why I gave an overall score of 10.
ending? is it good, bad, awesome or horrible? secret I'll keep it to myself! hahahha!

this drama will give you two options: it's either you'll watch it until the end or drop it. I wonder which group are you. looking forward to your answer!^^

advice?
Don't watch it if you can't handle the disappointment, but there's a chance that u might not be disappointed at all, well it's still depends on you after all. :))

This drama is definitely my one great love, yoo jung and seol, jang!!

Although it's difficult watch it until the end.
-Park Hae Jin

ps: If there's one thing I wanna kill in here its the PD-nim

KaraGrace
Mar 3, 2016
Ok, I'm giving this a 10, despite the backlash on this drama. Yes, there were 2 episodes that had me feeling disappointed, and there were things I wish they had included in the drama. But those couple of things, cannot turn me away from how much I love this drama. I think it could be my favorite or at least second favorite drama. First, can I say that the acting in this drama is phenomenal. Love this cast! When it comes to the story, it is so much more than a drama about romance. We see the story mostly from Seol's perspective. At first I thought the story was mostly about Jung and he was my favorite character, but then I realized it wasn't only just about it him, but it was about everyone. Everyone has their story, complexities, baggage and hurt. I love how this drama deals with psychological issues, and the study of different personalities, and how people effect one another (whether through love or pain). I have never been so tied into a drama before. It made me smile,laugh, cry, and get giddy. If you watch this drama only for the romance aspect than you might be disappointed. But if you go into it with an open-mind, knowing that this is not your typical cliche Korean drama, than you might possibly enjoy it. I know I did!

Oppa-kiss-me
May 2, 2016
Ahhhhhhh~ *Sigh*

After some consideration, I finally decided to watch this drama. I was quite happy when they said a drama would be made. I'm a huge fan of the webtoon and this is one of the hardest reviews I've ever done. God, I don't even know where to start. Haha~

STORY~
Even though I knew what would happen in the drama before I watched it, I still wanted to see how things would turn out. Now I understood what some of you guys meant when you thought about whether you had want to continue or not. The drama started out strong but it watered down somehow towards the end. I was not surprised by how it ended. I thought it would bother me, but it didn't. The most interesting thing–to me about this drama, is not the plot or the the romance between the character, but the characters themselves and I think that overrided the story of the entire drama.. well, that how I saw it.

ACTING~
This drama is relatable to some people IRL, myself included seeing that I'm a college student. You're surrounded by a bunch of people you don't know and you don't know whom you can trust and you don't know who will betray your trust. It was like that with the characters, but it was on a whole other level–psychologically. I can't say I hate the drama, because I do like it and I was captured by how they characters were portrayed (even though the vibe is different in the webtoon). Each of them had flaws. They're not perfect and it's what makes them human. The acting was amazing. I've never seen Kim Go Eun before and my first impression of her is spectacular. I love the way she portrayed Seol. Very down to earth but also not perfect with flaws of her own.
The most interesting characters to me were Jung and Seol, mostly Jung and it's not because they were the main characters. Park Hae Jin played his role as Jung really well. I wonder if it was difficult for him to play a role so complex. I think he did good. How Jung responds to his surroundings is quite intriguing. He's very deceptive and calculating, yet I can't seem to blame his actions or think of him as weird. Things he experienced as a child led him to have no empathy. He's also observant and manipulative of others and even though he knew what people's real intentions were when they approached him, he just went with it and used it to his advantage. He was taught to control his anger and hold it in. That can take a toll on one especially as a child. I think being around In Ha (played by Lee Sung Kyung–she was amazing, btw) and In Ho made things worse. He came to trust In Ho but his trust was broken and that made him snap. I can't really blame In Ho still, cos it's who In Ho and his personality is quite rough around the edges which leads him to say things sometimes that might offend others and he could care less. Same could be said about In Ha. All the little things from their past left them with many scars. To be honest, I think Seol is a perfect match for Jung and it's not because I think they're cute as a couple but I think it's Seol who pulls him back when he's standing on the edge and reminds him that if he wants to, he can be different and kind. And he can be. Just look at the way he smiles/laughs when he's around Seol... when he hugs her, when he holds her hands, when she gave him presents–whenever they're together. He seems more sweet and child-like. He even voiced his dislikes and got angry. It's as if as a child he couldn't experience certain things and when he's with Seol, his childish side comes out and it's cute AF! I think Seol and Jung are alike in some aspects and that's one of the reasons why somehow they're drawn to each other. Whenever Jung moves, so does she.
I do loved me some Bora x Eun Taek! (played by Min Ji and Joo Hyuk) OMG! They were cute too.
All the actors did extremely well.

MUSIC~
I liked the OST. Very mellow and soothing to listen to. Some of the songs were just perfect for some of the scenes. ^^

OVERALL~
Overall, it wasn't that bad but this drama is definitely not for everyone. Still, I enjoyed the ride and I'd watch it again but disregard the ending. Lol~ I feel like because the webtoon is still ongoing, they felt like they couldn't exactly end the drama a certain way, so they left it sort of 'realistically' open, but I would have loved to seen something with the main characters. I dunno. This drama feels very rare to me and I wish it ended some other way. I guess it all depends on the person who watches it. You may or may not like it. ~

Alex
Mar 10, 2017
I'm developing a talent for being drawn to controversial dramas. Cheese in the Trap was a highly anticipated series that, while, being produced, gave rise to a cacophony of behind-the-scenes drama that escalated to such an extent that many now consider CITT one of the biggest disappointments of 2016. In light of that mess, my recommendation for enjoying this drama is to be as unfamiliar with the source material (the web-toon on which it's based) as possible.

Now that we've got that out of the way: Despite unevenness, Cheese in the Trap is a narrative success in my books, for many of the same reasons I've also defended that other 2016 YA drama with a bad reputation, Scarlet Heart: Ryeo. (Speaking of, MLSHR is one of the recs under CITT because it, too, has a "questionably crazy male lead." Hilarity.)

Anyway, k-drama romances tend to fall under two trends:

(1) Zany Disney-esque romcoms where love lifts everyone up where they belong (see: My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, To the Beautiful You, You Who Came From the Stars, etc. etc. etc. etc.).
(2) Toxic and imbalanced relationships that are glorified with undeserved happily-ever-afters (see: Boys Over Flowers, The Heirs, and so on and so forth).

Cheese in the Trap isn't either of those stories. Much like MLSHR, CITT is concerned with one overarching question: Can a person change another person? (Alternatively: Do people change *for* other people?) The show doesn't give a pat answer, and that's to its credit.

In short, this is a slice-of-life that isn't afraid to go dark (and not in an incongruous after-school special way — unlike Age of Youth, the darkness in CITT is fully fleshed out). If you're looking for light, escapist fun that delivers a straightforward message, there are literally hundreds of other dramas for you. If, otoh, you want a complex story about young adults that doesn't idealise its characters — but also, importantly, doesn't descend into nihilism — you might want to give Cheese in the Trap a shot.

manicmuse
Mar 7, 2016
I started watching this because I was curious about it's popularity. I didn't really know anything about it, so I am not reviewing this as a fan of the webtoon. Honestly, I thought about dropping this drama at the end of every single episode, but there was always enough intrigue to make me curious enough to keep watching. My score is low, because I can't say I liked this drama. There were parts I liked, and characters I liked, but I am not a "Cheese in the Trap" fan.

There were two major issues I had with this drama. The first is that I really could not stand Hong Seol. She irritated me, and frustrated me, and made me want to reach through the screen and shake her. Kim Go Eun does a decent job, and I totally believed her as an awkward college student, but there was a charm that was missing for me. Seol is a complicated character emotionally, and I just don't think she pulled that off. She kinda played the role as if the character was on anti-depressant medication. That approach also added to one of the biggest fails in this drama for me - I just never believed that Seol actually liked Yoo Jung. Their chemistry was awkward. Even if both characters are "weird", and she was on guard with him, there should still be a sense that they actually belong together to make the romance work. She had much better chemistry with Seo Kang Joon as In Ho, but still not enough to carry a whole drama.

Speaking of the two leading men, they were my favorite characters. Figuring out the dynamic of their relationship became one of the most interesting parts of the show. Park Hae Jin was great at playing the line between sweet and sinister, so I loved him as Yoo Jung, but I didn't believe he liked Seol very much either. Part of what may have made their dynamic weird is that Park Hae Jin is older, looks older, and behaved as if he were older than the entire cast of students. He could sorta physically pass for a college student (sometimes - from certain flattering angles), but not compared to the other main student characters (except maybe Sang Chul). He seemed more like Seol's older brother, than a love interest. Similar to the dynamic he had with Seo Kang Joon, but the bromance gone wrong story touched me more. In Ho was also a great character, the epitome of the bad boy with a good heart. I definitely look forward to seeing him in more dramas in the future.

The rest of the cast was great. Many of the supporting characters are more campy than realistic, which fits the style of the show. I hated most of the character's traits, and had very little empathy for them, but they were played very well. In particular, Lee Sung Kyung as In Ha was very over the top, and smack-in-the-face-able, but memorable for sure. Eun Taek and Bo Ra were cute together, and I thought they had a better love story than the main characters.

What about the writing? I think it was pretty bad. It was good enough to get me interested, but not good enough to hold that interest. Yoo Jung is almost treated as if he is Patrick Bateman in "American Psycho", when I didn't see anything really wrong with what he did, even at his worst. Maybe that's a cultural thing, or maybe that's because I like movies like "American Psycho", but he just didn't seem bad enough to warrant how people acted towards him. I think they should have made him temper much worse revenge thriller-style, or make the misunderstandings more obvious, but the weird in between just made things confusing for me. Why were his actions seen as unforgivable vs the other characters in the show (who's actions were equally terrible). It seemed like lack of empathy was supposed to be a big theme in this drama, and I don't think that was executed well.

Much of the show is told through vignettes, which matches the webtoon feel, but especially towards the end, the story felt less cohesive. And don't even get me started on the ending, which was terrible. The only reason I wasn't completely dissatisfied with the end, is because I was just ready for it to be over at that point. Maybe it was meant to give you that "sequel pending" feeling, but it seemed more like the writers rushed to finish. Or maybe it's related to the drama surrounding this drama that I didn't care enough to read up on.

Would I watch this again? Nope. I barely made it through the first viewing.

Now that I completed this show, the story still had so much potential for me that I started reading the webtoon. So far, I'm not a fan of it either (super confusing to follow - maybe too much is lost in the translation - but I'm only on #20). Like the show, the concept is interesting enough that I will keep reading hoping to like it more. Characters (certainly Seol), and relationships between them make more sense to me than they did on the show, so I wouldn't even recommend this drama to the webtoon fans.

Overall, I will say this is a drama whose concept, and potential, was much greater than the execution of it. I can't recommend it, unless you really like being frustrated by characters and their choices, but I can see how people could see this as an interesting look at human nature. It just wasn't interesting enough for me.

hristiyana
Mar 3, 2016
"Cheese in the trap" is one of the strangest dramas I've ever seen. From the start till the very end and I liked it so much.
If you search for the drama's plot, you'll find that "it's about the delicate relationship between a female university student Hong Seol and her senior Yoo Jung." But it's actually more than that.
This drama is about life. It's about my life, your life... It's more than a drama or webtoon. It's realistic and really makes you think about everything.
It's about friendship, classmates, lovers. I'm happy that we could see different types of problematic relationships in families.
It teaches you that communication is the most important thing in one relationship.
It teaches that you can't always be good to people because they're going to use you.
It teaches you that revenge isn't always the right answer.
It teaches not to give up on your dreams or laugh at someone else's dream.
It teaches so many things and I'm sure that everyone will find an answer of personal questions because I found so many answers in this drama.

The cast was perfect for this drama, every actor had their own way to represent their character and they did a good job. The chemistry between Park Hae Jin and Kim Go Eun was just right but everyone was talking about the second lead Seo Kang Joon... and I can't judge! You'll fall in his trap so fast and you'll feel the pain.

The OST is really beautiful, fits perfectly. If I could choose a foreign song to describe this drama or Seol and Jung's relationship I would pick - A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera - Say Something.

What I like about this drama:
- the second lead - Good job, Seo Kang Joon! You stole my heart!
- mystery - I liked all the mystery around the main characters, it keeps you awake.
- the chemistry between Park Hae Jin and Kim Go Eun
- rich guy - poor girl - I really liked that they didn't even focus on this or make it a main problem of the drama.
- university environment
What I don't like about this drama:
- love triangle

I don't know why many people didn't like the ending, it was a very beautiful way to say "I still love you."

PS: I know 9/10 is really high but the drama was just what I wanted to see and feel the past months.

NaniVIP
Mar 5, 2016
Absolutely fell in love with this drama. It's not like any other K-Drama. Definitely on my top 5.

The story line itself is unique as it is based on the web-toon, but I think the writers and staff did a great job turning it into a drama. The story itself had the love story romance and a little comedy, but the twist of a lot of the character's personalities also made it a thriller. I also thought the acting by all the cast was just so realistic and professional. I haven't heard of many of these actors and actresses before, but they are now people that I am going to look out for in future dramas.

The music behind the story also fit in so well. It's not the typical high note, out of this world vocal with an intense orchestra playing in the background, but it's arguably the opposite. It's soothing, calm vocals accompanied with the acoustic piano and guitar. You can also get the comedy feel of the quirkiness of the background music as well. The music was one of the things that set this drama apart from others and also a factor into why I love this drama.

When the drama first came out, I re-watched the first 4 episodes over and over again because I couldn't wait to see the next episode a week later. It was that good to me. This is a drama that I will definitely re-watch and recommend to everyone.

I would also suggest reading the web-toon, which isn't finished yet. I think you can understand the characters more through the web-toon. You can especially learn more about Yoo Jung's character specifically. It's always good to read the original.

Cheese in the Trap, Fighting! ^.^

wonhwa
Mar 20, 2016
Arrgh! In Cheese, the production team conjures up a dark, fascinating antihero in the character of Jung, and then spends the second half of the show running from its own creation. It’s as if they have no idea what to do with the monster they’ve made, especially as embodied in Park Hae Jin’s riveting performance. The norms of romantic comedy crash headlong into the uncomfortable reality of a male lead who can’t be whitewashed into a perfect life partner, sending the show on a desperate hunt for an alternative. Unfortunately, their attempts to turn audience sympathy elsewhere (hey, perhaps a scruffy but lovable second lead will do the trick!) feel forced and underhanded. Instead of letting their heroine tease out the risks and benefits of her problematic relationship on her own, they take away her agency, refusing to allow her to make choices that might lead into disturbing territory. It’s a grave injustice to Kim Go-Eun’s lovely acting work and to the character of Seol, and it completely undermines the central premise of the drama as the story of a shy young woman’s empowerment. It also squanders everything that is unique about the show’s set up in the first place. Because why take the road less traveled if all you’re going to do is literally or metaphorically throw your leads under the bus at the end?