Miss in Kiss (2016) poster

• Rating: G - All Ages

• Ranked: #1904

Aria
Mar 15, 2017
Story: This is a story that's been with me for a long time. I started with the anime, and have then watched the other drama remakes over time, so it will be hard for me not to compare in this review.
It's not a unique story to say the obvious. It's very cliche, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine to re-watch different versions of this cute story. I've watched the Korean and Japanese version, but I have to say, I think out of all the remakes, I like this one the most. I felt that the other versions lacked something that this one had, and that's individuality. While the others felt like just another cliche, Miss In Kiss acknowledged that it was a story that's been done before and added it's own tune. The vibe this drama gave off was very cute and light hearted; it was easy to watch, especially with the short episodes. No sub plots were dragged out and the pacing this drama had felt right. I actually don't think there's anything I dislike about this drama other than the fact that I thought a few scenes and reactions could have been done a bit differently.

Acting/Cast: I felt that the characters in this version was the most believable. Zhi Shu didn't act like a cold emotionless psychopath like the other versions portrayed him to be, and I was glad to actually see him smile and cry whenever he needed to. He was much more human and realistic while still keeping the stereotype of an intellectual yet cold guy, I really enjoyed Lee Dino's take on this character. I loved Yue Qin in this as well, she wasn't as obsessed like in the Japanese version. She was just a normal girl who had a crush on a guy, but just couldn't let go. She was a very cute character.
Yue Qin and Zhi Shu's relationship was well developed, in no way did I feel their progress was rushed or could have been done better. I liked Ah Jin and Zi Yu in this version the most as well, they had much more character and I didn't feel that they were just getting in the way of the two leads.

Music: The OST was very cute and matched the vibe of the drama perfectly. I usually don't focus too much on the music in a show unless it really stands out, I found the soundtrack quite catchy and original.

Re-watch Value: If I'm ever in the mood for a light hearted and fluffy story, I might consider watching certain episodes than the whole thing, but I wouldn't mind watching the whole thing again either.

Overall: I feel that this drama did a great job in making it's own version of the story. It didn't feel like just another re-make, it felt original and stood out from the rest. I look forward to a possible season 2.

Stargirl
Mar 4, 2017
Best tv series ever I want more.. I will be mad if they I don't see a season two.. the cast was great everything was great even though it was a remake of something I love and now I grow to love this one as well.. amazing..
missraichyl
Mar 18, 2017
WAhhhhhh! I love it! Hands down, the best addition so far(still subject to change as I make my way through them one by one) but ahhh, i love it

Well, nothing new.. same story we all know and love. Girl falls in love with smart, handsome guy, he says no, the chase begins. Though I will say, I found a lot of similarities in this one as I saw in Playful Kiss (Korean version).

Acting/Cast:
The lead is so cute! Oh, she had me crying when she cried, which happened frequently... but mostly towards the end, you could literally feel what she was feeling. Her acting was really good and I liked that the more you saw of her, she wasn't as 2-D as other versions. I love them chemistry between the two. Dino was pretty good, though I felt like some of his lines fell flat.. if you watch, you'll see, but on the whole cast was great. The mom was a bit too pushy for me. I prefer the mom in Kiss Me, like a guide more than an instructor. The second lead in this one wasn't up my alley. I'm usually fine with them because I know he has to be there to serve and the lead's foil but I didn't like that he didn't listen to her. Even in the Korean Version when he was at his absolute worst, I still didn't dislike him as much as this version- but plot, I know...

I don't remember... I think it was good, it didn't bother me.

Rewatch:
YES!! haha, I just finished it, but yes, I will probably go back and rewatch it in my free time when I'm not watching other dramas.

Overall:
One thing that really stuck out to me is that in this version, he isn't as cold. You can't really tell what he is thinking like most of the adaptations but unlike in Playful Kiss and etc., Dino gives you hints as to his feelings and isn't stone faced- he smiles a lot when she isn't looking. If you pay attention to him, his actions speak a lot. Thought he is still a bit confusing, like he'll do something, she'll misunderstand, he'll try and clear it up, she becomes happy, and then he does something that negates it all and your just like "what?????" so yea, but I definitely like this version of him best as of the moment. Dino really stood out to me... might watch more of him in the future.

bee
Apr 3, 2017
I think a lot of the negative reviews on Miss in Kiss are unwarranted.

This is not ISWAK 2.0. ISWAK was my favorite adaptation of the manga/anime, but this is a great adaptation! I love the casting. Esther Wu is absolutely adorable, and Dino Lee plays a GREAT Zhi Shu. I literally fell in love with each of the characters in this adaptation. I also like the special twists they added to this story - the Old Lunar Tree and the significance behind Yue Qin's name. Yes, Yue Qin's character is pretty ridiculous...but that goes for the character in ALL of the adaptations - the character of Kotoko is just like that. I really enjoyed how we really got to see Zhi Shu's feelings develop for Yue Qin, and I feel like we were able to get into his head a bit more compared to other adaptations.

I would recommend this to anyone who has an open mind and to anyone who isn't going to criticize this for not being ISWAK 2.0. Whether or not you compare this to other adaptations, this is overall a wonderful drama. Great production, great cast.

I prefer the second part of the story compared to the first, so I AM DYING for a second season. Fingers are definitely crossed.

FreeWhirpool
Mar 19, 2017
I dont even know why I tried.
I've watched the Korean and Japanese versions (both seasons) completely, attempted to watch the Thai and first Taiwanese version (gave up because of the lack of HD videos) and was extremely dissatisfied with the ending EVERY SINGLE TIME. After watching this, I realise that I should've just skipped it and not wasted my time.

After every version of the show, I always got this very, very strong feeling that the main girl (Ha Ni/ Kotoko/Yue Qin/whatever) ended up with the wrong guy. Anybody who has spent even an iota of their time watching the trailers and clips know what I'm talking about. I mean, WHY would you wait years and years for a guy who doesn't even bother to look your way? Even the most dedicated of girls would shrug and give up after a year of non response.

Yes, the second male lead (in this case, Ah Jin) gets very annoying sometimes, but he's so, well, awesome the rest of the time. He's always there when she needs him, talented and cute, and most importantly, actually gives a crap about her.

The casting was probably the worst I've seen in any adaptation (yes, even worse than the Japanese one). Lee Dino is cute, but NOT in a cold genius sort of way. Most of the time, he just came off as indifferent and uncaring, not cold and mean. Dino's acting range is pretty limited, but he was WAY out of depth here.
The female lead was irritating, more so than ANY of the other versions. I don't even know how that's possible- do they have an award for that? They should. On the plus side, she has one of the best crying faces I've seen; her face gets all red and splotchy, which is much more realistic than the delicate crying most actresses employ.

Overall: Skip, skip, skip. If you can handle the non-HD quality of the first Taiwanese adaption, watch that instead. The Korean one isn't that bad, but beware of the bad acting. The Japanese one is annoying (with, yes, bad acting) but 2 seasons, so a longer story. In short, ANYTHING is better than this.

Jodieleanne1981
May 8, 2018

When-gong Yi Teng who played Ah-Jin should of had the male role due to being the better actor and better looking one

I lost a few brain cells watching esters portrayal of the character Xiang. No idea why they went with ‘ let’s make her seem like a five year old child throughout.
I wanted to shake her and tell her to get some pride and dignity .
To many badly made plots throughout.

Still binged watched all episodes in hope they would get better but no

The story has been milked more than a dairy cow , time to move on there’s plenty of great writers out there

Brownie
Mar 15, 2018
I don't normally watch other versions of a remake but I thought I'd give this one a go - BIG MISTAKE!!! This drama is about 25 mins without the intro and end credits. The could've made it between 45 mins to an hour with a lower number of episodes. It was unnecessarily long for my taste and so I did end up watching it in fast forward mode.

The female lead - For me, she was extremely annoying from start to finish she was annoying. Constantly crying with the "poor me" attitude, very desperate, obsessed with severe stalking behaviour. I feel like they had completely dumbed her down in this version and so I didn't see any development in her character especially as she was still childish going from school to college. I just couldn't warm up to her.

The male lead and his mum - OMG, this woman was more childish than the female lead. I couldn't warm to her either. The male lead for me showed absolutely no emotion, he was quite cold, distant and didn't wanna know.

Second lead - I felt he was the only good thing. He's acting was convincing especially during angry scenes.

I liked the song they played throughout the drama.

I will not be rewatching this drama and nor do I recommend it. For me, it was a huge waste of time.

Nitaylor123
Nov 19, 2017

Rozinante
Mar 29, 2017
I have never thought that this drama will melt my heart. I have seen all versions of this story and didn't think there will be a better one than 'Love in Tokyo'. I thought that is the best remake so far...but I have to change my decision. :)

I'm a huge fan of Aom & Mike (Kiss Me) but that plot was totally different from the original storyline. So I wouldn't like to compare Kiss Me and Miss In Kiss. They really are far from each other in the story.

The magic here is the similarity yet difference between the original story and this version. I loved the little differences they changed compared to the original one. I feel better with this solution. I must tell that Zhi Shu is the most lovable "Irie-kun" ever! Never thought that the directors can make an emotional man from that cold hearted prince. Also never expected that I will cry on this drama. They made it into such a cute and heartwarmig dorama which became one of my ultimate favourites.

The actors were really good, even though they don't have much films. Wu Esther's crying skills are awesome. She can cry in a way my heart wants to explode and I'd like to cry with her too. Ah Jin's role is perfect for Gong Yi Teng, he was really cool but sometimes annoying. :) And Lee Dino is the best for the cold-prince's role. His acting was fantastic as well. As he performs it was touching especially in the last 2-3 episodes. Never seen a scene with "Irie" like here. Somehow I felt him closer to myself when I could see him struggling with emotions and in the last 2 episodes he was really cool!! I could see that he is a human too and he has feelings too. His walls have finally broken down and I could see how deep he can feel. A huge respect for this to the director! I must thank him that I was able to see that wonderful scene with Zhi Shu when my heart melted and I was crying for the first time!

I could feel the chemistry between Dino and Esther (but they are just on the second place because Aom and Mike has better chemistry) and it is neccessary for a good drama. I loved all of the supporting roles as well, everybody was good.

The music was not bad but I couldn't fall in love with the soundtrack. I'm sure I will rewatch this version because it's the closest to me and I think it has the best arrangement in all versions. :)

USDramalover
Mar 26, 2017
As a fan of It Started with a Kiss, They Kiss Again, Kiss Me, Playful Kiss, Mischievous Kiss as well as the manga series, I can honestly say Miss in Kiss wasn't really the best version of Itazura na Kiss.

Wu Esther was quite adorable and I actually really liked Gong Yi Teng he's adorable but Lee Dino was completely emotionless. Towards the start of the series I thought Dino might actually have something special about him but sadly, he became more and more robotic as the series continued. It was very sad and almost cringe worthy to watch his interactions with Esther. Of course, his character is supposed to be like that but compared to the way other actors portrayed Irie-kun, Dino's version was by far the worst and most disappointing.

Would I watch a series 2? Absolutely, because I have hopes that Dino will bring more to the role. But as a remake I expected much, much more from this version of Itazura na Kiss especially considering how legendary the original was. You'd think they would want to do better in honor of the original series and the fans who loved it.

Sweetiepea
Sep 1, 2017
I've watched all the "Kiss" dramas from the 1996 drama and including the anime. In every drama I've watched (Taiwanese, Korean, Japanese, Thailand, etc), the male lead has always been pleasing to the eyes. I don't find the male lead in this drama as handsome--I found the actor playing Ah Jin to be more handsome and a better actor. I also found the female lead in this drama extremely irritating; she was beyond stupid most of the time and her acting was very childlike.

The writers did try to change the story up some from the ones before it, but most of the time it was silly and didn't make much sense. This drama had no real meat to it. This one doesn't come close to "It Started With A Kiss."

Fetreiscia Frida
Aug 8, 2017
I'm a fan of Itazura na Kiss and I love all version of their remake.
When I watch this drama I found it so interesting. The cast was so good! But I'm sick of watching the lead female acting. Sometimes it cute and lovely to watch, but sometimes her acting makes me sick >< But overall I love this remake.
Some part of the scene is so lovely and can make you laugh hard!
Recommended to watch! ^_^