Boku, Unmei no Hito desu (2017) poster

YueofBlueGables
Jun 27, 2017
I am sad that this lovely dorama had low ratings. As fan of NwP, I think this was a wonderful reunion. Kame's and Yamapi's roles were perfect for them, and I could feel that they had fun working together again. I much prefer Kame in this kind of role: honest, a bit enthusiastic, hard-working, a bit silly, a bit naive. Kinda like his character in "One Pound Gospel", only less, LESS, enthusiastic. And Yamapi, dead-fish-eyes Yamapi, whom I don't really like (although I can't hate either, since he is so calm, and, well, nice), was lovely as GOD. Anyway, both of them were perfect in their roles, and their scenes together were so enjoyable to watch.

Maybe Horikita Maki has retired, but Kimura Fumino looked a bit like Maki (in my opinion) in this dorama. It may be her short hair. It may be her high cheekbones and sweet smile. From certain angles, she looked like Maki.

I don't understand why some people say she was frustrating in the first couple of episodes. I think any girl, especially any girl with bad experience in love, would be wary of any guy, no matter how cute or honest he looks, who approaches her and tells her he is her destiny. It is expected of the girl to be cautious, to be in doubt. If she agreed to be with him from the very beginning, I would have thought she was too naive and easy.

The story has the perfect amount of friendship (Makoto and his "rival", Haruko and Mitsue), good comradeship (Makoto and GOD, Makoto and his boss, Makoto and his coworkers), a nice rival (who is not really a rival, and who is just one of the nicest guys ever), present parents (who are there for their daughter). I liked the different tasks Makoto had to do, since it all served for a reason.

I am not satisfied with the ending. I was left with a "this is it??". I think there should be a SP. There HAS to be.

I love the OP and ED sequences. The dance was cute, and the song is pretty. I also like Yamapi's smirk when both of them are sitting in the couch, in the ED sequence. Only that, that same smirk is somewhat bittersweet in the final episode :(

AnanyaS
Jun 24, 2017
I simply started this drama because it seemed like a rom-com with a perfect twist of fantasy. And fantasy dramas have a way of pulling me towards them like no other genre.
When it comes to J-dramas, I would fall into the 'beginner' category. So while I won't be able to tell you how good or bad it was as compared to other typical J-dramas, I'll try my best to tell you what I enjoyed in this drama.

THE STORY:
The plot-line of the drama is certainly a unique one. It's not everyday you see a drama where God Himself appears to help two people fall in love.
The drama follows Makoto who seemingly has the worst luck when it comes to women. It's not until a person claiming to be God appears before him that he finds out why. According to God, Makoto's bad luck in women is because he hasn't met his 'soul-mate' yet. Imagine his surprise when he finds out that his destined person works in the same office building as him, and they have met several times before, even without both of them knowing. Now, when it comes to making her fall in love with him, well, that's no easy feat, giving the fact that she cringes at the word 'destiny' alone.

THE CHARACTERS:
There are 3 main characters for this- Makoto (male lead), Haruko (female lead) and God.
-Makoto's character was a dedicated one. He was ready to do just about anything to make Haruko fall in love. And not just with her, his efforts to win over Haruko's dad as well as her best friend, were really commendable.

-Haruko's character may seem a bit annoying, at first, given that she pushes away our main lead repeatedly, when we know that he's such a good person. But try to imagine the situations from her perspective. A stranger comes along, and says stuff about them being 'destiny', her reaction was completely logical. Ofcourse, the circumstances in which her previous relationship ended, sure didn't help the situation, either. Despite of it all, she came to know him as a person and finally

-God's character was....awesome. He was my favorite character in the drama. And that's all I can say without spoiling anything.

-The supporting characters like Sadaoka, Sekihara, Mitsue etc, were also really interesting to watch. Specially their comedy parts.

THE PACING:
-The drama consisted of only 10 episodes. And the pacing was good.
-The twist they pulled out in the last few ep...Did not see it coming. It was perfect.

THE CON(s):
- Even though I understood the decisions the female lead male, her character was still somewhat frustrating. It just felt like her indecisive phase stretched for a bit too long.
-Unfortunately, for me, the bromance eclipsed the romance part of the drama. Although, that's not to say that the romance part was not interesting. But more like, I loved the bromance way more than the romance.
-This one is not really a con, but I wish they'd shown more of Ichirou in the last ep.

All in all, this was an enjoyable watch. I hope you give this a try.
Happy Watching!

dragynfaerie
Jul 3, 2017
I should probably preface this by saying I'm still a fangirl of Kame and YamaPi back from when they were teens. squeeee I've been waiting patiently for 12 years to see these 2 share a scene together (the idea of a full series was too much to hope for). They didn't disappoint. I don't know if they're friends (I don't even know if YamaPi is still a Johnny), but I do know their chemistry is unstoppable. YamaPi (Tomohisa Yamashita) plays a mysterious man that calls himself God. God is quirky and has his own way of speaking not unlike Akira from Nobuta wo Produce. Kame (Kazuya Kamenashi) plays Masaki Mokoto a somewhat uptight forthright guy. The female lead played by Fumino Kimura is a woman who has been hurt and has serious trust issues.

One thing I've learned over the years about Kame is that he manages to have chemistry with everyone. I don't know if it's a Pisces ebb and flow thing, but there's never been a point in any of his dramas that I've thought 'ugh, why are they even in the same space?' He may prefer other roles (murderer, thief, alien, spy), but he excels at comedy and romance. In Boku Unmei he leads a great cast that work together like a well oiled machine. Aside from the 3 leads, the cast is peppered with great veteran actors. Their chemistry is fantastic. They truly work well together.

Boku Unmei's production is top notch. It's well written. The directing and editing are good and there are no glaring continuity issues. There are many humorous if not downright funny scenes. The funniest are, of course, the ones between Mokoto and God. So, yeah, the story is pretty damn good. It's fairly original. God comes and tells an ordinary salaryman that he has to romance and impregnate his destined woman within a few months in order to save the world in 30 years. No pressure.

The music is fine. There's a lot of classical including my favorite, Claire de Lune. The ending theme sung by Kame and YamaPi is fun only because of the ending scenes. Other than that it's pretty forgettable.

Boku Unmei no Hito is a thoroughly enjoyable romcom with a high rewatch value. The characters are oddballs and the cast is great. The story is solid and good. You don't have to be someone who has been waiting for a Nobuta reunion of sorts to enjoy it. If you've never seen any of these actors before or if you've never watched a Japanese drama (for some odd reason), this is the one to watch.

Dandelion
Feb 23, 2018
For quite a while, I have not able to find any romance j drama that I like, until I stumble into this masterpiece.  I really fall in love with the fake God. Yamashita is so funny and he is really suitable for the character! The dialogue with all the characters are very witty and clearly define the theme of fated love. Apparently, the screenwriter is pretty famous for making a witty drama.  The other drama is Sekaiichi Muzukashi koi with Ohno Satoshi and Haru as leads.

What I like about the drama is the fact that the main lead is like your everyday ordinary guy who has his own struggle with love and works hard for it.  Every episode, you just want to cheer him on. In addition, I also like the fact that the female lead is cold and logical but actually has a warm heart.  I will miss this show a lot. I was so sad when the ep end, but it was a great ride without too much pull.

Feb 10, 2019
You're a fan of Kame-san? Then you have to watch this. You love bromance? You should definately try this one. When it came to romance, this one was kind of slow, and really, it focused more on the progress of the story rather than the chemistry between the couple. Still, there were some good performances, and the bromance was strong and cute. However, there were also some really boring scenes. As for character development, this drama has that covered for you as well. Finally, the conclusion of the mystery was bitter sweet, but satisfying enough.
DramaBunny
Jun 3, 2019
Let me start off by saying that I started this drama in May 2017 and I just finished it two days ago (May 2019) that right there should tell you how much I was interested in it.

I was looking forward to the Kame & Yamapi reunion, but I was really disappointed in how little Yamapi was actually in the show. The Kame & Yamapi scenes were funny and I enjoyed them ...but there just weren't enough of them to keep me interested in coming back. The female lead was unlikable, she didn't seem to have any real personality and was out-shown time and time again by her supporting female friend. I found myself enjoying the romances between the 2 minor role couples more than the leads!

The show definitely has it's funny moments and I would still recommend it to people because the story is cute, but that's all it is: an okay drama.

Luly
Dec 9, 2017
This might have been one of the most hyped dramas of the year, for the cast alone. At least, to people who's been around Johnny's for enough time to know what a big deal it was to have Kamenashi Kazuya and Yamashita Tomohisa together in a drama and performing the theme song, 12 years after Nobuta wo Produce/Seishun Amigo. And no matter what your taste in dramas is, if you were around for enough time, you know the impact Nobuta wo Produce had. Just like 12 years prior, the two were joined by a female lead, but considering Horikita Maki retired, someone like Kimura Fumino was an ideal choice to balance these two. Now, was it worth the hype? It's hard to say.

I'd say this drama is a close relative to Proposal Daisakusen in terms of plot, somewhat. There's a man whose destiny seems to be getting together with this girl and in comes a mysterious guy to act as some sort of donor character, a facilitator, to some extent, with the ultimatum that they have to get together because their future child will save the world in 30 years. No pressure.

I've been pleasently surprised with the main characters on this one. It's been a very recurring trope for the josei genre in general to have female leads who are either incredibly naive or too kind for their own good, clumsy and cutesy; and often paired with male leads who are cold, distant, seemingly disinterested or somewhat stalkerish. Not that it's a new trope, it's been around for ages, but it was everywhere last year. This is a really nice change, but not only that, the roles seem to be somewhat reversed from what they normally are: the male lead is the one pursuing destiny, believing in romance and wanting to go the distance for a chance to show his feelings, sometimes intense enough to break down in front of the female lead; while she's the guarded one, who isn't convinced by talks of destiny and love and who has been hurt once too many times to be taking chances easily. That alone got my attention from the start and the performances helped immensely, because they are enough to convey these characters perfectly. I also very much enjoyed Yamapi's funny and filled-with-puns character, and his scenes with Kame were a delight, but I can understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

My issue with this drama is that I felt that the writing wasn't up to par with the characters and performances. The plot was straightforward enough and could lead to interesting developments, but I feel there were some plot holes, inconsistencies and overall loose ends here and there, especially for the last few episodes. If this had been a straight-on comedy, I would have probably overlooked that a bit more, but it wasn't, the dramatic moments were intense and believable and the performances in those were too good as to put this in the shelf of "comedy" and call it a day. It's a very well-balanced drama, in that regard, and the performers are versatile and enjoyable. However, I don't feel the narrative of the plot and the writing, when it came to that, were as well adjusted as they could have been for it to work much better and make the characters justice. It wasn't terrible, but it won't be a memorable drama in general for me, at least not for the writing.

I think that, when it comes down to it, it was a refreshing take on a romantic drama with adult leads, which is more than I can say for what I expected. It's not the best written one around, but it's very well performed and the characters alone make it worth the while. It's not the mind-blowing comeback I was hoping for, but it's enough to make me proud I've waited and happy that I've watched.

Butterfoxk
Jul 3, 2017
[pemula] Awalnya agak ngebosenin untuk ditonton, tapi begitu mulai ketemu inti ceritanya baru mulai naik serunya.

Agak sulit untuk nyebutin kekurangan dari drama ini, selain suka dengan storynya yang seger, acting dari para castnya juga wajib diacungin jempol. Setiap mimik muka dibawa dengan ekspresif. Setiap episodenya juga diwarnai dengan bumbu konflik yang baru dan ga itu itu doang, Komedinya yang sangat hidup bikin drama satu ini jadi menarik, Belum lagi ada beberapa plot twist yang tidak mudah ditebak. Konfliknyapun cukup nusuk dan bisa ngebawa baper saya ketika nonton ini

kartika
Jul 9, 2017
quite entertaining. premis awal menarik, eksekusi juga lumayan oke. kemampuan akting cast nggak perlu ditanya lagi. tapi somehow konfliknya kurang nendang, terutama di bagian cerita. saya berharap ichiro memainkan peran lain.

so, sorry, nggak bakal disimpen di hd :"