The Upload Image feature is currently undergoing maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Circle

• Members: 8,710
CharlieBishop
Jun 28, 2017
This show was amazing. It's my new favorite KDrama. I never realized a KDrama could be this good. It truly is something special.

The story certainly isn't perfect. There are some odd leaps in logic and some twists that are a bit too wild, but the vast majority of the story is well crafted and incredibly well written. I am stunned that the writer was actually able to pull off two connected stories going simultaneously without anything too weird happening. I have no words for how impressed I am. There are some plot holes left at the end, but they're small. I feel like any loose ends are actually hinting at a second season, but if there isn't one, it ended nicely enough that it's okay.

The acting in this show was fantastic. Every actor hit every mark. It was perfect. Yeo Jin Goo has skills beyond his years. Kim Kang Woo had to play a character with many sides, and he did so with such talent and finesse. Gong Seung Yeon is more than just a pretty face. She knows what she's doing. I underestimated Lee Ki Kwang. This show marks one of the few times where an idol totally blew my mind. I expected him to be the worst in the cast, but he was on par with rest of them. He was great. The extended cast and younger versions of characters were fantastic, too. This is an unbelievably solid cast.

The music suited the show, and there was more than one song that I really liked. Uji's OST was especially good.

I would definitely rewatch this, now that I know everything that's going on. I feel like seeing it again would allow me to catch hints that I missed before.

I really loved this drama. It's not perfect, but it's so close, that I can't help but give it a 10. I definitely recommend it.

Bri
Jun 28, 2017
This is probably the best show I have watched that I couldn't predict! Just when you start to think you know what's going to happen, you don't. I about broke my neck there were so many plot twists, but I loved it!! I love how everything fit together and came together. It might be confusing or a bit slow in the first episode, but it picks up so fast to the point that you're practically running to keep up. I loved the story, the casting was on point, and so was the music. I wouldn't mind watching this again even if I know all the plot twists already. Since it is only 12 episodes it doesn't take that long to watch and it feels like it goes by so fast! All in all, I loved it and it's going on my favorites list!

wonhwa
Aug 27, 2017
Korean television rarely does science fiction, so Circle has novelty in its favor. Unfortunately it tries to cram the entire genre into a mere twelve episodes. It dashes from alien encounters to mad scientists to dystopian utopias to cyberpunk hackers to clones without ever stopping to flesh out a single theme or develop a unique voice and production style. It raises some interesting questions about the role memory plays in identity and whether trauma is an important part of our humanity or an impediment to happiness, but it never digs into its ideas in a meaty, revelatory way. Plot points are introduced to provide “twists” and then discarded when they’re no longer useful. Characters often behave in unbelievable ways, and perfunctory directing leads to visual inconsistencies and hackneyed acting choices. Yeo Jin Goo is talented enough to be riveting anyway, but the rest of the cast suffers. The final result is a show that feels more like a sketch than a finished product. It’s fast paced enough to hold viewers’ attention but it doesn’t give either of its worlds or timelines the care and attention they deserve.

aimsat
Jun 28, 2017
Posing a trite question: Whether invention of new technology is a bliss or a curse of mankind? With the conjecture of an exclusive scientific research work started in 2017, which fortunately or unfortunately followed a trajectory of quandary took a proper shape in 2037. The whole concept of the story is extremely new where the dramatization involved a fraternal twin and all the incomprehensible incidents they were surrounded by. Like a web of mystery the more they were trying to solve it, the more they were getting tangled with mishaps. Gradually facing series of tribulations and by using their own intellect they tried to overcome their problems though not succeeded fully. According to my understanding (I can be wrong), this drama tried to portray that progressive technology is acceptable which should be free of manipulation, deceit and identity theft. In the process of gifting human race with something phenomenal, the human race by themselves subject to self-destruction. They fall prey to their own greed and take a wrong detour to satisfy their own selfishness.

The whole story is like a big board of puzzle pieces cut randomly into different shapes without any connection but as the story development progresses bit by bit all the pieces have been fallen into their correct places. It exudes the suspenseful feel of American sci-fi genre series, nonetheless, the writers maintained originality which is beyond interesting.

From the very beginning till the end it was riveting, breathtaking and fast-paced. No amount of time is wasted on idiosyncratic character development. Each and every characters were necessary and sufficient; none seemed out of place or redundant for the development of the story. The writers tried their best to convincingly elucidate a completely new concept of a non-existent theory on which the pillar of the whole plot was standing. They expressed erudition through their meticulous writing ability. Hats off to the scriptwriters. It may seem frazzling to keep up with the pace since each episode shows two stories of two different years but it is highly engrossing and enjoyable. The ending of every episode left me at the edge of my sit. Thank goodness I binge watched it rather than waiting every week. I would have died out of anxiety and curiosity. The cliffhangers are deadly.

On another note, I never trusted Korean dramas of science fiction genre since never found any solid story so far. Either they make it extremely confusing and superfluous or greatly preposterous. However, Circle is an exception. Every occurrences are given a proper explanation. I feel a strange empathy towards the production team and feel like giving a deep bow for presenting us the show so intriguingly despite having minimal budget. It's perfectly fine of not using extraordinarily top-notch visual graphics as many were complaining, I could feel their urge of showing some CG effect which are common in any sci-fi movies/series but they couldn't and it's beyond ok. At the end of the day I count on story, if the story is good and acting is on par it's intensely satisfying for me.

Acting by the ensemble is praise worthy, especially performances given by Yeo Jin Goo and Kim Kang Woo are commendable as they always are. My words will fall short to describe their charisma. Lee Ki Kwang is also good but sometimes felt like he was forcing too much to draw out his emotions. I appreciate the girls as well. Gong Seung Yeon is one of a kind gorgeous actress, she looks serious with her character display and works hard. She surely has long way to go and I believe she would perform better and better in course of time. That day is not far away when Ahn Woo Yeon & Jung In Sun will be flooded with main roles in dramas/movies. Both of them has utmost potential of rising stars.

Background score is perfectly fitted with the thrilling feel of the drama. OSTs are ear-catching as well.

One thing I have noticed in all these currently airing dramas that female protagonists are given powerful roles rather than being treated as a mere trophy only there to depict love interest of the male protagonist. The roles which were normally given out to male protagonists are now given out to the females which is a very commendable new trend.

I would love to detail out my analysis on every scenes but I’m afraid I’m too conscious on giving out spoilers. Hence, I want to stop and request all the sci-fi/suspense genre lovers out there to watch Circle. You will definitely love it because of - a refreshingly new story, the group of beautiful young and energetic casts and their laudable acting skills.

On the other hand, fingers are crossed this ephemeral drama has left us uninformed ‘bout one thing at the last episode. So we can hope for a second season. ;) ;)

Bianca
Jul 30, 2017
Finally. After watching so many frustrating dramas, this drama made the difference. Same with signal. Breathtaking. Has lots of twists and turns but the plot was so great. I'd like to commend the writer for doing this drama as well as the.actors and director. Not a predictable drama. Thank God for great dramas like this. I'm so happy i watched this. It's a high quality drama. Not just another drama with a horrible plot.
KatySarang_TGeyes
Jun 28, 2017
Be prepared for the essay that's about to become my review.

First of all, this drama is amazing. I know it isn't popular (how I don't know), but it is truly a gem, and I recommend all to watch it. This drama is extremely well thought out, and I don't know if I've ever watched a drama where the plot, characters, acting, just everything tbh, was super thought out.

Characters:

Woo Jin played by Yeo Jin Goo: That's right, I'm even going to mention who played who in this drama, because they were all that good, and deserve as much recognition as they can get, especially this guy. Before I watched Circle, I had only seen Jin Goo in Moon Embraces the Sun. But in that role he played the child story, and I was 13 when I watched that, so my memory is fuzzy, but I remember he did well. Watching Jin Goo in Circle, I thought I was watching acting art. I have never ever felt that when watching a drama before. In fact he was so good, that when I was feeling withdrawals from Jin Goo one weekend I watched two of his movies (Shoot my Heart and Long Way Home) which he also did great in. Despite his greatness in all of those roles though, I'd say he's done his best here and improved a lot. I would consider him equal or better to more veteran actors, and he's only 19. But enough on Jin Goo, let's talk about Woo Jin. Woo Jin is a great character. He is someone you're always rooting for no matter what. As the drama goes on, you can feel his desperation to find his brother growing, and you truly feel everything he feels. He will break your heart in all the right ways, and end up being your favorite character. While he is very good, pure, loyal, kind, and all the right things, he still manages to feel extremely relatable and human. His character was one of my favorite things about this drama.

Jung Yeon played by Gong Seung Yeon: I am rarely impressed with actresses in kdramas. This one did fantastic though, I would legit follow her. She essentially played three differently personas, and did them all so well! Very versatile. I hope we get more female characters with depth and real stories (besides being in love) in the future. I really loved her character and story. She is also someone you can't help but feeling for. She plays an alien that learns to be human in child story, a cute college girl who is also going through a hard time in 2017, and a rebel in 2037. I really love her in all the roles, and she does them so well!

Bum Gyun played by Ahn Woo Yeon: I have seen Ahn Woo Yeon in Five Children and Strong Woman. Let's just say those dramas didn't properly use his talent. This guy did excellent playing Bum Gyun. He played the slightly crazed, obsessed, playful, determined older brother so well. Though he was given few scenes (since 2017 is all about finding him lol), the scenes he's in he does phenomenal in. I really enjoyed his character and his pursue of the truth really made me think.

Joon Hyuk played by Kim Kang Woo: Kim Kang Woo also did a great job in his role! He really brought depth and emotion to his character later on in the series, and had a really realistic way of acting :) I can't go too much into his character without spoilers, but let's just say he really grew on me. I didn't really care about his character at first, but as the drama continued on I grew more and more attached to his character. I also found him really relatable and loved his story!

Ho Soo played by Lee Ki Kwang: I would say Ki Kwang was the weakest actor in the series, his voice was a tad too dramatic at times, BUT he still did well and brought life to his character Ho Soo. Ho Soo's character was a real nice touch the story. I loved seeing him grow, and I found the story with his girlfriend truly touching. With his character they brought complicated issues to light, and it really gave impact to the story. Also he's like the cutest thing ever, oh my gosh this guy was adorable lol. I really enjoyed his character!

Plot:

Wow. I told a user on here that if they wrapped everything up I'd give it a 1000 stars, 1000 stars it is then, because they wrapped everything up quite nicely. I've seen 12 episode dramas before (Sassy Go Go and Solomon's Perjury) and while I loved both of those to pieces, the ending was a bit rushed. Not in this drama, everything flowed naturally and made perfect sense. I don't know if there was a single plot hole. That is quite a hard feat to pull, especially with such limited space, so kudos to the writers for being so smart in their writing! In this drama, the villains and main cast are EQUALLY smart, and it truly makes it quite the ride. The plot is unpredictable, full of twists, but somehow still makes sense in the end. It is a rare thing for a drama to make the viewers think and question themselves, without dumbing them down, which is exactly what this drama did. Fantastic writing, and I am so proud!

Ending: No spoilers! I overall liked the ending, it wasn't rushed and answered everything I needed to know. There was a small disagreement I had, but I'm still giving it 10 stars so it clearly wasn't that big of a deal. Ending was really well done and definitely worth the ride!

I would truly recommend this drama to everyone, it was very well done and you can tell the writers truly cared about what they were writing about! It honestly deserves more recognition, and its a shame that the ratings aren't higher. This drama has made it into my top 5, so watch it!

Charity Mariposa
Jun 18, 2017
Although the show lacks computer graphics that are typical of sci-fi shows (maybe due to budget constraints for TV?) this drama continues to hold its ground with the solid storyline and impressive direction and acting from a pool of very very brilliant actors. Jingoo is definitely well beyond his years as an actor, showing intensity and maturity. Kim Kang Woo is as usual, precise and forceful. Gong Seung-Yeon is not only beautiful, but she also is strong as an actress and quite effective in playing 3 personas of Byul/Jung Yeon/Bluebird. All the rest of the actors are equally brilliant and such a delight to watch. Casting is PERFECT! This drama is gripping and keeps one on his feet. As it is, it is already a masterpiece; how much better it could be when it gets more CGI? Daebak!

Jul 8, 2017
A Sci Fi thriller with tones of action and a solid story. My main
problem with this drama was that it was kind of hard to keep up. The
events followed one another too quickly and you had to pay attention to
two stories and not just one. Honestly, the 2017 story was better than
the new earth one, but they were equally entertaining nevertheless. The
performances were really good, as the actors had to deal with a action
packed theme. Also, the mystery was quite intriguing, even though the
whole bug thing was gross. Fortunately, there wasn't too much blood, as
the drama focused more on the mystery rather than impressing with gore
and sci fi technology. So, 7 out of 10, because the second story was a
but boring.

Irene
Aug 29, 2017
Very unique execution, as the two time periods in the show each take up half of each episode.

I enjoyed how the drama shows us the story, rather than tell us, through this unique execution.

Acting was solid all across main and supporting cast members as well.

This is definitely sci-fi thriller and mystery with a healthy fix of romance and bromance. Lots and lots of praise for this since I haven't seen that many sci-fi premises in kdrama.

Check it out even if you aren't a sci-fi fan. I was very impressed by the graphics in this and felt the drama was of movie-production quality. Recommending to all my non-kdrama watching friends!

Aravnth
Aug 16, 2017
I'll rate this one higher than goblin.

Each episode of alomost every drama would have either suspense or thrilling ending .The stand out thing in this drama is each & every second is just like that!!

This is the First drama i'm giving 10\10.

P.S. Han Jung Yeon is DAMN PRETTY.
And im waiting for her next Drama "Are U human too"!!
delphy
Thumbs up to the writers and the team behind this drama for trying something out of the box, considering this is also one of the first few sci-fi dramas Korea has to give to the viewers.
Double thumbs up for the massive issues explored that are handled and executed satisfactorily in a short number of episodes, it's nice to put it that way, however it's not the case in this drama.

Story: 6
At the end, Circe is still composed majorly of elements present in every Korean dramas, family drama, amnesia, kidnapping, surprised accidents, and so on. That is not a bad thing but it did drifted the drama from it's main genre which is sci-fi because it focused too much on those. There are way many issues the drama is trying to cover; aliens, grand new world, overwriting of memory and human cloning. However on every issues mentioned above, nothing has been explored cautiously and it did appear like the drama was only a bit of everything and its open ending just seemed to be a great escape to all of it.

The story started out interestingly, there are a series of cliffhangers at the end of each episodes but too many exaggerated plot twists was also in every corner, although some are obviously irrelevant and only thrown there just to make things surprising. There are noticeable plot holes that isn't that big but would still have impact the story better if played right. Over dramatic scenes are also noticeable that some of them appeared unbelievable and cheesy.

Acting/Cast: 9
One thing worth praising in this drama is the casting choice. It's refreshing to see how mature Yeo Jin Goo's acting has been and Gong Seung Yeon's performance was delightful and convincing to watch.

Music: 7
Nothing memorable from the OST but the soundtrarck really did create a tension and suspenseful atmosphere for the drama.

Rewatch Value: 1
Enjoyment is up to the viewers and there isn't anything memorable to the drama that I would probably look back to. Circle is a refreshing drama in disguise, only to realize it at the end that it's still a bland rehash of a typical Korean drama with a bit of sci-fi on it.

Sash
Oct 8, 2017
You know this is a good drama if you are probably the last one to catch the show and still end up wanting to leave a review!

I honestly never expected an intricate sci-fi plot from this show, and for that matter any other kdrama ever. So I was pleasantly surprised and stumped when this show proved me wrong. A great sci-fi plot should keep you guessing till the very end, only to supply the right logical answers at the right moment, according to the rules it has established in its world. It is also a definite plus if it makes you ask certain existential questions, and ponder on them. For instance, what makes you, YOU? Is it your memories? or the way you look or your actions perhaps ?  This is exactly what the show manages to do.

There were episodes early on, where the plot gave the impression that it was predictable, because it seemed to be going in a direction that I thought it would. But immediately after, it completely turned upside down and exceeded my expectations. So make sure you stick till the end to get all those delightfully gratifying answers to the no doubt numerous questions you will have and trust me it will be like sweet honey from nectar :P (I am not exaggerating). I would rather reveal no details of the plot and have this review make no sense than spoil that satisfactory moment in the show, when things fit in like a puzzle !

Yeo Jin Goo's acting was a hit and his lead character kept me engrossed and not just for the obvious reasons :P

The background music especially during suspense scenes was well planned and I really liked the score. Even the high attention to detail in the scenes in the future  was appreciable and made the show look way more realistic.

To be fair, there were some usual kdrama filler scenes (** insert bunch of board members arguing when an incident happens) even in the future, which were questionable both for their necessity and general annoyance.  But I feel the good parts of the show managed to cover that up for me.

The ending of the drama tied most of the loose ends as a good show should do and at the same time left leeway for new questions that I think a second season might answer. I for one, would surely lap it up if they came up with a second part.

So go on, it is worth the 1 and a half day you will spend marathoning the show !