Together with Me (2017) poster

Mr_Fink
Oct 6, 2017
I was a bit apprehensive when coming across this drama because I heard it was a prequel to Bad Romance and I read mixed reviews from fans regarding that drama. But the minute I hit the play button for the first episode of Together With Me I was immediately hooked! Together With Me is not the typical college BL as it pushes the envelope in what is normally seen in previously released BL. For once, there are actually OPENLY GAY CHARACTERS. Most BL's go for the "I'm not gay, I'm just in love with only you" explanation. But I am happy to see that Thai BL dramas are evolving and more dramas are being produced with characters that raise awareness of what sexuality is (ie. Gay Ok Bangkok, Diary of Tootsie, etc) and the struggles those characters face for being LGBT+. It also shows how having a good support system, like friends/family, can play a major role in your life and decision making.

STORY:
For the most part, I wouldn't say that the overall plot of Together With Me is new or groundbreaking. What I will say is that the way the writing explores how the characters interact and solve problems throughout the show is what makes this series so amazing. The story starts with the two main characters, Korn and Knock, and how they go through struggles both environmentally, socially, and emotionally to finally come together as a couple. Also a main character, Yihwa, is Korn's best friend and is a strong supporter of Korn and Knocks relationship. The 3 main cast members are joined by Fai, Farm, and Phu who are all neighbors in the same dorm. The drama does a great job of focusing on Korn and Knock, but also focuses on the side stories of the other cast members. This is done extremely well as the writers tackle issues such as homophobia, family ties, ageism, monogamy, vanity, and promiscuity. Each of these issues are divided evenly (and sometimes shared) with most of the cast, with the exception of Yihwa's character being written in the story for more of emotional support and as an ally. I gave the story the score of 9 only because I felt that at times it was a bit inconsistent or the timing was rushed in 2 or 3 episodes. I also felt that they rushed Farm's development and almost had no development for Fai's character at all (here's hoping for another season). I also enjoyed the supporting characters of Bright and Kavi who were Farm's and Phu's love interests respectively. Farm and Bright's story in particular was left open-ended, and I hope that this series will have another season just so we can have closure with that story-line.

ACTING:
I have to say that I was BLOWN AWAY by all of the actors in this drama. They really gave so much life and layers to their respective characters! Especially Yihwa who always steals the screen with her charisma and engaging personality. But If I had to pick a standout character out of the 3 mains I would  definitely give all the praise to Korn's character (Played by Max). His character took every scene and made you feel every moment as it were really happening. Whether it was a happy, sad, or sensual scene... Korn's character had you believing every moment. Knocks character was also really well acted, and Knock's intimate scenes with Korn are OUT OF THIS WORLD! If these actors aren't LGBT+ in real life they sure had me fooled! One of the reasons I say this drama is leaps and bounds above other college-setting Thai BL dramas is because of the convincing and extremely well-choreographed sex scenes, Like WOW!!! If you want a drama that quenches you boyxboy thirst, has a good plot, and amazing acting... Together With Me is it for sure! All of the other cast members give amazing performances. Especially Farm's character who does a heart-wrenching job at playing a cute, innocent small-town boy who is in love and exploring his sexuality.

MUSIC:
All the music in this drama was really good! It went well with all of the scenes and I may even want to download the soundtrack if I find out how.

REWATCH VALUE:
This drama is for sure and an easy rewatch for me. I have fallen head over heals for KornKnock and I honestly want to see more of them! Their chemistry is just so amazing and I really hope this series  gains a big following so we can get another well-deserved and much needed followup season!

OVERALL:
This is series is a MUST WATCH for all BL lovers. It hits all the right spots and leaves you wanting more! I highly recommend it and I promise that you'll be hooked!

Slythe
Oct 5, 2017
For a movie buff like me, watching this Thai BL series is a stretch but a good one. I can continue raving about it from the beginning.  But let's start with the story.

The story seems cliche if you look at it on hetero/straight perspective especially when this type of storyline has already been applied in many telenovelas(Latin and Filipino) and even Asian.  However, the good twist is that the gay storyline is the main focus, in which one of the characters is a hero who tries to win the love of his best friend after a random tryst due to intoxication. At first glance, it was not really a tryst because, both, as mentioned were intoxicated. But from there complication arose, including the surprise appearance of a girl friend  of one of the main characters and then the development of love between two college-educated young adults who are both male.

This is a kind of romantic comedy series that I wouldn't get bored watching for many times, if time allows. Aside from the "main lovebirds", one character I really love is Yihwa.   All cast, even the villain, portrayed their characters very well. The acting is "superb" (IMO) especially Yihwa's , and of course, Korn and Knock.  Even though I tend to hate the villains, their characters have been played well that it is difficult for me to ignore them. Although it is possible to pinpoint the neophytes in acting, I have come to familiarize all the supporting characters.  They've all managed to invoke emotions in their characters, which, I believe is very effective in stirring the emotions of the viewers.

It is not only about having to see the main characters to feel good throughout watching the series. The supporting cast really managed to bring out different types of emotions in me. So, I think this BL series is very effective in incorporating the characters, which I initially thought would just be fillers and uninteresting. But then, they did a great surprise.

And one thing I have to point out in this series are the kissing scenes(of course).

Max(Korn) and Tul(Knock) managed to portray natural kissing scenes, even the most intimate ones between two male lovers in a BL series. I can only watch this in gay movies which are rated for adults. But considering this has also been shown on Thai TV( I think) and online, they have managed to capture a big audience because of their kissing scenes.

I thought I'd be satisfied with just one love scene, but the series kept on surprising me. They really put intimacy of two male characters to a new level. And for that, I commend the actors, the producers, the writers and the directors.

Musically, the timing of the background effects is good. Some are over-the-top but understandable. I love the soundtracks though. Hearing them makes me appreciate Thai pop music more. This is coming from an international fan and viewer of the series.

Overall, this series has done a great redemption to the BL industry. I rate it first on my list.

Victuurri
Oct 13, 2017
This. Is. Real. Talk.

Acting? Not the best acting performance I’ve seen on a Thai drama. Some moments were bordering awkward. Some facial expressions were tad bit exaggerated. There were times that the acting was either stiff or over the top. Storyline? Not the most well-written story. It was fan fiction-ish. It took so long for the conflicts to be resolved. Same issues kept on occurring time and time again. The plot was more complicated than it needs to be. Character development? Some characters were frustratingly unreasonable. I’m not sure if they were just being naive in every problematic situation or they were just being foolish. It was messy. Being logical or practical is never an option for some at all until they reached the finale.

We all knew how the love story of Korn and Knock ends because it was already concluded on Bad Romance. Since Together With Me is a prequel, I can just imagine how difficult it was for the writers to come up with a solid script to keep things interesting between the two main characters prior their relationship. It must be very challenging for them especially right now because, in this day and age, there are so many BL series coming out. The audience have a lot of benchmarks and we can’t help but to compare each one to another. Which has the best storyline? Who were the best in acting? Which couple has the best chemistry?

And so, this is why Together With Me stood out to me. The series has shown the audience one of the most essential aspects of a romantic relationship that other Thai BL series didn’t even dare to give us. The intimacy. The passion. The burning desire. This is the reason why it soared so high for me despite my quibbles. The intimate moments between Korn and Knock were exquisite. Max and Tul may not be the best actors out there but they have executed the love scenes so gracefully. They were natural and believable. The kissing scenes were not just for fan service. They weren’t thrown randomly in every episode. These moments were on point and remained relevant to the story. I highly commend Max and Tul for their commitment to their roles. Not all actors have the guts to do what they did on screen. They elevated romance to a new level of intimacy. From being the underdogs, they have succeeded in cementing their place in the Thai BL world by setting a new standard.

The series as a whole was brave in general in the sense that it breaks out from the typical formula of BL series. I don’t think we should still categorize it as BL because it’s not about boys’ love anymore but rather it’s a legitimate gay series. At least four important characters on Together With Me were profiled as gay. We have Korn the most sensible male character, the innocent Farm who just discovered his wild side, Bright the player and Mew who just kept growing on me every episode. They may seem to portray either the good side or the bad side of the lifestyle, which is subjective. But at least, finally, there were no pretensions. Everything was legit. It wasn’t groundbreaking but they have managed to push the boundaries. It was a complete game changer.

The true heroine of the story was Yihwa. Without Yihwa, Korn and Knock’s relationship wouldn’t happen. Without Yihwa, they wouldn’t find out the mastermind, who has caused all the trouble, that is Plern Pleng. Without Yihwa, the story wouldn’t be fun and engrossing. Without Yihwa, what’s the point of Together With Me? I love Korn and Knock so much but I adore Yihwa because she made everything happen almost single-handedly. Who wouldn’t want a best friend like Yihwa? She is now one of my most favorite female characters ever. And it is only fitting that she wrapped up the show.

Without Yihwa, no one would gather their housemates around in times of crisis. Together With Me has made me smile and laugh more than it made me fall in love because the real romantic scenes just happened towards the end. What kept me hooked was the group of people surrounding Korn and Knock. They were not just supportive and protective towards their friends. They were also hilarious even the tomboyish Fai and the black sheep P’Phu. The sound effects, as tacky as they seem, while delivering the punchlines were spot on. Their comedic moments together made me want to join their clique. Their chemistry as a group worked so well and at the same they were all memorable.

In the end, it was a wonderful ride. I’ve been waiting for this series to be aired since the official announcement after Bad Romance. In my opinion, aside from the unquestionable chemistry, Max and Tul are the most good looking couple. They are so gorgeous. They are on the top of my list right now in terms of looks. But what made this series special and stand out from the rest of BL series is that it was never afraid. It was daring and fearless. If you’re going to love, love all the way. And Together With Me has gone all the way and delivered. No holding back. No second guessing. No hesitation.

Pincolino
Oct 6, 2017
I wanted to write a long and elaborated review, but seeing how other people who are more capable than I am in expressing their thoughts (in English) did a much better job I could ever do, I decided to keep it simple and short (and hopefully funny).
Together With Me got me so excited like ... well, never before. For someone who loves BL stories since many, many years, it's like a dream coming true. To be honest, I never had such a good dream.

STORY: Nothing we haven't seen before, but the execution was okay - until the end. There were some things I found pretty silly looking back. You wonder what all the "drama" (I'm quoting Korn, ep13)  was for. Well, it's called a love story (I'm quoting Knock). They could have done a better job showing us Knock's conflict. The so called "love" between him and Pleng was not visible, that made Konck's inability to figure out his own heart a bit unbelievable. I'm not a fan of the Bright/Farm relationship, but I appreciate how they tried to show us something different. TWM is not a series where only cute boys fall in love, it's much more. Talking about cute boys, the buffed up guys (of course I mean Korn7Knock) had many beautiful scenes together. You feel the love.

ACTING/CAST: Korn7Knock (Max&Tul) did a fabolous job like everyone else. I woudn't be able to point out a single weak actor in this series. Everyone was convincing and everyone was charming in his/her own way, even the bad guys.

MUSIC: Whoever put this series together, did a great job. I loved the background music.

REWATCH VALUE: There are some scenes I watched at least 20 times (no kidding!). I plan to continue with this schedule in the future. Nobody can take this away from me!!!

OVERALL: Not sure about the rating system here, I want to give it a 10. Even though the story didn't convince me 100% , other things did. 10 is well deserved. This series brightened up my sad little life. A big THANKS to the cast, the producers, and the writers.

On a sidenote: The kisses and intimate scenes were out of this world. Like I said, not even my best dreams could turn out that good :P

CandraDee
Oct 6, 2017
This is my first review on here so I really hope it's not crap. Haha, anyways;
This show is honestly by far, one of my favorite Thai series, if not one of my favorite Asian series as a whole (& I've seen A LOT of Asian dramas!)

Though I love this show so much, I'll start with what I would call the negatives.
To me, I found the side story of the professor & the student quite bland & uninteresting. I actually skipped most of their scenes. I usually dislike teacher/student stories for obvious reasons, but this is different seeing as he's a college student, she's not much older than him, & he's indeed of age. So that didn't bother me. It was mostly just the character of the professor. I don't know why, but her personality was quite annoying to me, like I found her to be somewhat stuck up & obnoxious. I'm not going to spoil anything so I'll just say that I get why she's so against what she's against, but just something about her really annoyed me. (I think she's incredibly gorgeous though!)
I found FarmxBright storyline quite awkward too. Not so much as the age difference as most people seemed to be against;  Farm is of age & CGame (the actor who portrays Farm) is 21, & as someone who is 22 yet still looks like a 16 year old, I understand that he can't change how young he looks. But what bothered me is the development between the two characters. Again, no spoilers, but the ending was quite odd. In all honesty, I would find it interesting if season 3 was to happen, that they'd focus on them.
One last thing is the continuity from season one since this is supposed to be a prequel. There's a few things that are different from the first season. I actually found that the characters personalities are quite different than from season one too. It's not the hugest of issues, but I just thought it was a little weird.

Other than those few things, I didn't really dislike much. A lot of people seem to be against Knock's actions & his way of thinking. I however, get it. Knock feels guilty for both relationships he's dealing with; one more than the other because he sees the person of that relationship to be innocent & doesn't deserve what's going on. Obviously how he deals with it isn't exactly the right thing to do, but hey, it's angst & adds to the story.
More positives about the show is definitely the acting & chemistry! Those who have seen or at least started the show know the main actors have incredible chemistry. Literally the first scene from the first episode shows it. Every scene between them was so surprising, but in the best way possible. As someone who has always wanted to be an actress, I tend to pay a lot of attention to facial expressions, body language, tone of speaking, chemistry, etc. & I was not disappointed one bit. This goes for every single actor. Even the smaller roles did a fantastic job. The villains did excellent as well! Of course I disliked every bad guy, until some of them redeemed themselves. (Won't say who  or how so this doesn't count as a spoiler!)
Of course Yihwa was my favorite character. Not just because she's super cute & spunky (Maengmum is such a babe!) but because she truly cares about her friends. You can tell she loves them dearly & just wants them all to be happy. The fact that she does so much for her friends is so heartwarming to me. Everyone honestly needs a Yihwa in their life! I absolutely adored Fai as well. I wised that she was a bit more involved in a way. Not in the screen time sort of way, but in the kind of way that Yihwa was. I feel like Fai (along with Phu for that matter) were kind of in the dark with a lot of things & I would have loved to see them be a little more involved, if that makes sense at all.

This is a very long review, I'm so sorry! But to wrap it up, I'll say this; I highly recommend this show! Even if BL dramas aren't your thing, this show has so much depth that you don't often see in dramas, let alone in BL dramas. I won't name any names, but there have been quite a few shows I've seen that seem like they're just supposed to be really fluffy or really angsty, but in a way that drags & just has messy plots.  A lot of those shows don't have much depth which makes the whole show seems to lack a lot. I don't want to put down other BL dramas, but this specific drama seems to have so much that others seem to be missing. If you're wondering on if you should give this show a shot, PLEASE DO. I really don't think you'll be disappointed!!

starsappear
Apr 30, 2018
This is really so bad. I wasn't expecting it to be so bad because I had seen the rating here plus it's on so many lists on youtube. But gosh, this is just terrible.
The plot is mediocre. Best friends get drunk and sleep together. One of them has a girlfriend which makes things more complicated. Surprise, surprise the girlfriend is a bitch.
First of all, I would like to mention how much I hate Knock. Even when Korn and Knock slept together, Knock kept acting like Korn raped him or something, dude it was consensual sex, you are to be blamed as much as him, why the fuck are you acting this way? You dumb sorry excuse of a grown ass man. And later on, he doesn't do anything to redeem himself. He remains indecisive, keeps playing with Korn's feelings, and is forever a big of a slut. One would imagine him being nicer to Korn after hearing about how Korn's ex-boyfriend cheated on Korn but noooooooo, he two times and gives him false hope and once even goes as far as to say that he chose his bitch girlfriend but would like their relationship to be the same. Lol fuck off, Knock does not deserve this piece of shit and I stand by my opinion.

The only complain I have with Korn's character is that instead of showing him as a person, we see him more as a person in love. Idk what his personality is.

Yihwa, my girl is the star of this shitty show and the reason why I watched the entire damn thing. Fai is a cutie too.

The doctor is fucking disgusting and Farm is really dumb oh lord.

My head hurt watching this. Proceed with caution.

mark
Aug 8, 2018
Good and hot actors, but the story is so bad. It's hard to root for the main couple when the start of their romantic relationship started with rape. Then, there are two more rape instances in the show (Prae towards Farm and Bright forcing Farm to have a foursome). I'm okay if they addressed those as such, but they didn't, which doesn't convey a good message. I'm really uncomfortable with the teacher-student and doctor-patient relationships too. It's like this show collected a lot of problematic plot points. -___-

Knock is so stupid too, and it's like he doesn't really deserve Korn.

I'm also not a fan of vilifying women to push BL couples.

Only Yihwa made the series watchable for me.

Odessa Jones
Feb 25, 2018
As a long-time reader of BL stories, and a long-time watcher of K-dramas, it was natural I would eventually discover Thai BL dramas. But this one, the first I watched, blew me away. None of the others I've seen since live up to it. (Though I do give Love Sick credit for coming closest.)

A few things distinguish it:

1. A plot focused almost entirely on gay romance. Most of the side-plots are also connected to the topic of gay romance. The straight romance side
plot about Korn's sister is the only slow bit but luckily the show doesn't spend too much time on it.

2. The extremely hot chemistry between the lead actors--who are themselves, it should be mentioned, extremely hot.

3. Another reviewer mentioned this, but it bears repeating: this series doesn't mess around with the BL cliche of "I'm not gay, I just love you." Though this series doesn't spend any time parsing  identities, there are some characters who it appears would describe themselves comfortably as gay and bisexual. This feels like a step into the twenty-first century. It also makes it easier to believe that these guys will stay together.

4. No messing around with BL cliches about semes and ukes. There are too many of these cliches to list, but the important thing is that Korn and Knock take turns pursuing and being pursued, acting tough and acting needy. And the guy on bottom wasn't necessarily who I expected.

5. The absurdity of the plot with the scheming girlfriend is balanced by the emotional weight that the guys bring to these roles. They really give a convincing impersonation of people falling in love. People discovering a connection that goes deeper than just really, really hot sex.

6. Yihwa is an awesome character as the female friend who ships these two and wants them to get together. She stands in for every BL fangirl ever.

7. I love Lazy Subber's subtitles for this show so much that I've sent her fan mail. How else would I learn about the dirty sexual implications of the Thai word for smoking a cigarette?

8. Also unusual--but in a scary way--is the subplot about Farm. This story was a nod to the dangerous side of a sexual coming of age story, but the resolution was rushed. I badly want another season so we can see Farm get over his trauma and find a nice guy.

Conclusion: A show I will never forget. Also an accessible, cliche-free gateway to Asian boys' love narratives for newbies from other cultures.

skaivri
May 20, 2018
This production is always awesome with this crew. I just didn't give it a full 10 cuz I'm so annoyed with stories that have the stupid/repetitive one-dimensional NangRai (evil woman/girlfriend) who never seems to take the hint that she's not wanted and does the usual one-dimensional Thai-Soap-Opera bad things to get her way. I do love Yiwah and Fai's characters though. Yiwah's spicy with mama vision and is protective of her cubs (KornxKnock) and Fai's tomboy with hidden beauty figure.

Other than that, one of the best Thai BL couple in the industry of Thai BL making (aside from SingtoxKrist and MewxArt). Max and Tul are fucking amazing at what they do and the level of chemistry they project is extremely fluid, which shows their level of professionalism. I fell for them in Bad Romance and fell even harder in Together With Me. So Looking to watch the new Season.

Go Max! Go Tul! Woot. Woot.

Overall - Loved it.
Rewatch - Yes. Though I just skip to Max and Tul's moments. (hehe).

Tobes279
Aug 8, 2018
Double K FTW!!!! I think every gay man and woman goes through similar denial phase in their life at least once. I just love the dynamic between the two and of course with their friends and family. Been rewatching it a few times.
Max and Tul’s chemisty is undeniable. They make you believe that they’re really in love. Even the kiss between them. You can definitely forget that there are other characters in the series that you can focus on.
Definitely a must watch and prepare kleenex just in case to wipe your tears away. Cant wait for their next adventure this upcoming November.

James Cummins
Feb 13, 2018
I've seen and heard some really positive and really negative things about this show. The first four or so episodes are rather slow, and I found it somewhat difficult to get into. But then things really turned around and it got really good quick. The plot towards the end of the season was phenomenal! The complexity of it really keeps you on the edge of your seat. You really develop strong opinions towards the different characters.

The music was pretty solid and fitting, but could have been better. Sometimes the music seemed out of place but definitely gonna listen to some of the soundtrack in my free time.

The acting in this show is fantastic. The actors/actresses super attractive and really play their roles well.

Would highly highly recommend this show to anyone and everyone!

Viktorija
Dec 28, 2017
You know, this could have easily been a 9 if not for the horrendous second half.
This drama started off amazing, it felt like the writers knew exactly how to make a perfect BL drama - likable leads, actual kissing and intimacy, a lot of sexual innuendos, the best supporting cast I've seen in a BL so far, seriously - the best, Yihwa is amazing, a little bit of drama but nothing to annoy you. Honestly, I was having the best time of my life.
But somewhere along the middle the drama got out of hand. Plern Pleng, Knocs's girlfriend, is a...I'm trying hard not to write anything too nasty :)...she's just a baaad person, her goal was to ruin our leads' relationship basically and you know I was fine with it at the start, because - drama! That's why we came here. But honestly the biggest pet peeve of mine when it comes to BL dramas is that at least one of the leads just haas to have a girlfriend on the side. Why? You're gay, bi, whatever, just admit it! The girlfriend did all that was in her power to make the life for these boys miserable and Knock fell right into it which made me have very conflicting feeling about his character. On one hand I like him, he has great chemistry with  Korn and on the other hand he's weak willed and indecisive. This push and pull just went on for too long. Seeing Knock basically two timing is frustrating and this ruined a lot of my enjoyment.
Another detail that was frustrating is the relationship between Farm and Bright. Every time the directors attempted to show Bright as a good person made me very annoyed because he is not, he's a manipulative a-hole and I'm confused as to why they even decided to portray such a relationship because it lead to nowhere, left me feeling like Farm's story needs a sequel because the conclusions weren't satisfying enough.
Honestly, overall I enjoyed this drama, the pros I mentioned at the begging stay, it's just the drama that goes a little astray. If you're into BL then You'll surely enjoy this because there is a lot to like here.