Sweet Combat (2018) poster

Cntrldfusion
Aug 16, 2018
As a fan of the webtoon "Girls of the Wilds" I have always wished for a live action dram to be made from it. I was excited when I came across "Sweet Combat" shortly after it had started airing. However, this can only be described as a loose adaptation of the webtoon. Even though it's not an exact production of the original story, I do think that the main plot is there and the personalities of the all the main characters are also close to the original. It's obvious that around episode 15 the writers decided to veer away from the original story and just sprinkle things in here and there. But they did stay true to the main plot and the feelings of the main characters. The only thing that I'm really disappointed in is the fight scenes and the lack thereof compared to the original story. The intense fight scenes of the original story was one of the biggest draws I think. But, this is a Chinese idol drama and has to fit that mould as well as a budget that probably couldn't afford a Jackie Chan stunt team. All in all I think it is a decent drama to watch. And if you haven't read the original webtoon I would suggest checking it out, but maybe wait until after watching the drama.

Lety
Nov 24, 2018
Sweet combat was a great drama, I loved it since the first episode and I really recommend it for people who like to watch something funny. The characters are very cute and each of them had their own style which made the drama really enjoyable to watch. The actors as well supplied my expectations and the OST of the drama was very satisfactory. Since the drama has 30 episodes I thought at first, that maybe it would be boring to watch it but I was wrong, every episode gave me new emotions, so yeah I hope you guys enjoy the drama like me
Aug 22, 2018
As Chinese dramas tend to be more than 50 episodes long, this one seemed like a treat. That and also the fact that many popular actors were staring in it. So, the first half of the drama was amusing and actually interesting enough. The story was cute and light and had a youthfull vibe into it, with the friendship between the students and the cute love triangle. However, the second half was kind of boring and I've only watched it because of the second couple's story. It just seemed to me that they kept adding twists that were too cliche and unoriginal. Plus, the main couple didn't have enough chemistry, even though in the first half they seemed like they did. I just felt that Tian was more competable with the cute kitty cat girl. The performances were at least nice and the soundtrack good.

Jack Huang
Apr 4, 2019
Pros: Plot and Casting
Overall a good series. Casting was on point, male and female leads have great chemistry making the love story feel genuine. I would have rated the story higher if not for the inconsistent pacing. Some episodes advance events at a crawl while other episodes have 3 major events happening at the same time. The overarching story is fairly well written and kept me invested so I would definitely recommend the show as a whole.

Con: Lack of fight Scenes and Subpar Choreography
The most disappointing part of the show was the limited number of fight scenes and the subpar fight choreography. For a show called "sweet combat" there was actually very little combat shown on screen, mostly just training. Personally, as someone who has done martial arts since childhood, I found the fight choreography be be incredibly underwhelming, mostly just simple I attack you dodge/block 1 step sequences, no extended exchanges or technical depth whatsoever. Particularly underwhelming were the grappling sequences where the lack of technical expertise really showed. Grappling exchanges were unrealistic and oversimplified BJJ submissions with poor/completely incorrect technique. Perhaps I just got my hopes up too high and am being unreasonable but I really expected more out of the fight scenes and fight sequences.

TL;DR
Good overarching plot with solid lead chemistry that keeps you invested. Held back by less than ideal pacing and atrocious fight choreography. Watch it for the love story, not the combat.

maresha_7
Jan 30, 2019
Ming Tian did not finish high school because he was left to take care of his two young siblings, who are twins, when his mother up and left because she got fed up with her husband, three years ago.

The husband ended up dead after a while, therefore a teenage Ming Tian had to shoulder the burden of looking after his two young siblings by eking out a living any which way he can.

While on a work errand, he came across a rather arrogant girl, who thought that money is enough to solve everything. This girl was Fang Yu.

Ming Tian really wanted to go to college and as luck would have it he was accepted into sports university in the Shenzhen City in the Guandong Province of China.

His little family left Macau to be able for him to enroll at Zhengze University where coincidentally is where Fang Yu is the queen.

TwoFace
Oct 4, 2019
This was tough for me, unfortunately, I really wanted to give this an 8 at the very least but the problems here could possibly be turn-offs for some people. This show really drags on stretching time to its full limit, making you wonder whether or not even a day has passed between episodes. So if you are expecting tons of action or at least a decent amount turn away. The show depicts itself as a type of martial arts academy (even though it is a college) that has rankings, a major tournament, and extremely competitive students but fails to really implement any of those major aspects that the setting is offering. In fact, it isn't until halfway into the massive 37 episodes that Ming Tian(main) finally has an actual fight. You could count the number of significant fights on one hand if you wanted. So again this is not really an action show, more lightly themed and sprinkled with some choreography here and there(not all good). But what sweet combat lacks does not take away from a good time all together. Characters top to bottom were fantastic, believable, and well-acted. You really couldn't help but smile when you see the main group of friends interacting with one another. This thought applies to support characters as well, never really overstaying their welcome but making their own presence felt with each scene. Its pretty heavy on the romance, which I don't mind but at some point, it just feels like they were forcing any character they introduced to have someone by the end of the show which was kind of annoying. Still, it does not take away from the main romance that was both compelling and heartfelt Finally the plot has its high points and its low points but all in all well rounded, nothing special but not bad. Leaving me with my final impression that this is a solid show that has lots of enjoyment Let the characters take you, get to know them and you will feel you are apart of the group as well feeling both their joy and their pain.

Melissa199
Feb 26, 2019

"Sweet Combat?" More like, "What Combat?"

Pros:
The acting is mostly good, with the supporting cast in particular knocking it out of the park. Not just with the acting but their stories were honestly more interesting than the main plot. Even one of the villains gets sort of a redemption arc as the series goes on and it was genuinely interesting to see them try to become a better person. Cheng Yanan is honestly one of the best tom boys I've seen as of late, and Sun Hao was just the best part of the show period. There's one fight towards the end that was honestly well choreographed. Also the characters have really good taste in fashion. The T-Shirts are honestly some of the best visual gags.

Cons:
For a show whose opening plays up everyone's interest in martial arts, it's not really a focus at all. The tournaments barely last longer than half an episode and you don't get the sense that what happens in them actually means anything for the characters personally. Then there's the actual plot, aka the romance between Ming Tian and Fang Yu. It was one of the worst on again off again romances I've seen. Ming Tian does nothing wrong, all of the conflict comes from things out of his control or the actions of other people. It's more Fang Yu having to overcome obstacles that she creates for herself to be with him, which leads to just constant annoyance as opposed to actual tension. Fang Yu is the most frustrating character in the series and I was constantly begging the tv to just have Ming Tian forget about her and find someone else.

Then there's our star, easily the weakest actor in the group, (excluding the children), though that's hardly surprising considering he's got nothing to work with with how dull the script is. He hardly has any agency throughout the entire series. It's such a joke when the three side romances has better development and a more believable conflict than the main one.

None of the male characters talk to each other unless it's about the girls, excluding the bad guys that is. Oh they actually talk to each other and other male characters, but that's because they're evil I guess. Sun Hao, aka best boi, has like maybe three conversations total with Ming Tian, and two of those have to do with romancing Fang Yu. Is there a male version of the Bechtel test because oh wow this show would fail 85% of the time.

Finally, the product placement here is laughably awful. It honestly becomes a drinking game to see just how much is trying to be sold to the public and that's with me not understanding Chinese characters and brands.

Final thoughts:
This show is trash and a waste of your time. Do not watch unless you want to test if you can stomach the endurance test that is Fang Yu and Ming Tian's relationship. On the lighter side though this did get me to watch the Taoism Grandmaster just to see Pei Zitian (Sun Hao) in a leading role. I'm hoping this guy hits it big. Looking forward to Legend of the White Snake.

IDY2018
Sep 16, 2018
This review is about my opinion of this drama.
I really enjoyed this drama the story was really good and it was perfect for me because it had comedy, romance, university setting and martial arts and that ticked all my boxes i honestly did not think i would enjoy this drama as much as i did.
The acting was really good i liked how the five friends were all linked together they made the drama more interesting to watch and it was fun and the music was quite good and if you are into dramas that have this type of setting with martial arts, romance and comedy then this is one you should watch you never know you might enjoy it.

I will watch this drama again some time later on because that is how much i enjoyed it because at the moment i have a lot of other ones to watch and again this is my personal opinion all i am going to say give it a try you might enjoy it.

Catherine Hsu
Jun 4, 2019
My god. The acting was SO bad in the beginning. Everyone was speaking rhythmically, and it just sounded like they were reciting lines. The acting got better for most characters, but there were still a lot of scenes later on where I felt like the acting was robotic. When I watch shows I love to pay attention to the little gestures by characters who aren't at the center of attention in the scene to see how they play off the script when they are only reacting. In this show, that was all very unnatural; the "little gestures" looked awkward and TOO scripted and exaggerated.

The cinematography also got better, but the first few episodes had so many internal monologues, even by characters that I didn't care about, and not only did it make the plot move super slowly, but it just felt like they were trying to cram in all the tragic backstories at the start so that we didn't hate the characters.

I was super excited about the plot at first, but the way dramatic irony was implemented meant that I was just constantly frustrated because I knew about secrets maybe even TEN episodes before the characters would figure them out. I was also super annoyed by the "problems" that the characters were facing—most of them were caused by the characters not trusting each other and miscommunicating.

Cute Gnome
May 28, 2019

I started watching this drama series because of my friend. It was long ago when she started watching the drama series,. During that time, the series is still on-going. I don't really like watching cheesy love stories or dramas, not to mention the number of series of this specific drama. But I was intrigued after she told me that Luhan was the lead actor and after she told me the plot of the drama as well. So after learning the plot, I started watching the series.

This part of the drama made me think if I should watched it or not. So since I was able to finished watching the drama, meaning, the story, for me was good. There are just some part which annoyed me but most of the scenes were good.

Casts/Acting Skills:
It was so-so. They're not really good in carrying their roles but it's forgivable since they are playing the roles of a student in a well known university.

The music was not that appealing except for the into music. I did not observed the background music in particular when I watched it.

Re-watch Value:
If I remembered correctly, I re-watched some episodes but not the whole drama because there were episodes which made me interested with it.

Some things even people are like the sun ☀ and the air we breathe. Since we can feel their presence almost everyday, their importance we can no longer see.

©️Sweet Combat (Chinese TV Series)

Habits / Are Hard / To Break

Kaab
Jul 24, 2018
So, to tell you the truth I started to watch this drama to feel the Chemistry between Luhan and Guang!! I'm a Lufan so I couldn't just let this drama pass by.
From the first episodes story is a bit slow and some parts are not properly explained...! But as the drama goes to story is perfect for both the main leads.
One thing is that I have felt that the music behind the scenes is not so good. The OST is acceptable but the music behind the scenes is rough or call it "not related" to the drama at all..!
As I am here for Luhan, I would first talk about his acting. I am a great fan of "Fighter of Destiny" where he was with the beauty "Guli Nazha" and they were perfect together and i really wished for "Fighter of Destiny" Season 2. So, in "Sweet Combat" if we talk about the Lu's acting his acting is 9/10 for as. But as we talk about the other cast I would say that is a bit loosing point for the director cause all are good actors but he doesn't directed the drama that way. Like "Love O2O" every scene was perfect. I just only started it let's hope that everything goes perfect for LU.
As we talk about the story line. It is perfect. A boy who take care of his younger siblings as their mother left them a year ago and their father passed away a year ago and a girl who is from the prosper business family but she likes the sport 'boxing'. Other cast have also the great chemistry between them. So I hope it won't be the case that the story is not perfect.
Jaiyou Luhan.

Yo0osammy
Feb 19, 2019
Let me start to tell you right now, this show was my absolute cup of tea and everything about it was amazing. For all of you that have a negative comment, your entitled to your own opinion but for those of you wondering if you should try it out, you definitely should. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's absolutely amazing and wonderful. The story between the two main characters were everything I needed and more, didn’t really care for the friends and the side stuff because the love and passion I received from the couple was everything I needed but I appreciated the fillers. I started this show on a late Tuesday night, officially started on a Wednesday, watched it at work and home and skipped other social things just to finish it on a Thursday night. That’s right, two days, 37 episodes, I laughed, I cried, my heart strings were pulled and it was all worth it. This show is amazing. Thank you. Please make a second season where you show the complications of the relationship and what will happen with Fang Yu’s family like especially if you make Fang Yu and Ming Tian married or engaged? but what happens next? Does his mom come back? Does her grandpa approve? Does her brother that needs love get it because he was amazing? Do they become something more? Answer me ???? SEASON 2 PLEASE!!!