• Drama: King is Not Easy

• Members: 1,032
Clara014
Oct 8, 2017
What’s that drama?
This Chinese drama about soul-swapping was a hit romantic-comedy, but it also featured the worst plot twist of  2017.
da da da, da da da da da, da da da da DA, dadadadada…
What is “King Is Not Easy.” CORRECT!

Jeopardy question aside, I’ll break down this review into cast and plot, with a few comments on production, music, and re-watch value at the end.

Cast: Being a soul-swapping drama means that Bai Lu and Zhang Yi Jie had to be good at playing each other’s characters and their opposite genders, and in my opinion they were. They were hilarious, and the majority of their acting seemed very genuine *applause*.  All the characters, including our leads, did well. The plot is very silly, and the cast did a good job not taking their characters too seriously.

Plot: As the plot is bipolar, so must my review be. To avoid spoilers I will simply refer to the two plot arcs as “Arc A” and “Arc B.” Arc A was everything you expected it to be; the story was funny, sweet, and entertaining. It’s 20 minutes of guaranteed lighthearted fun—Arc B not so much. Arc B was highly confusing and disappointing. Presumably the arc was meant to add depth to the show, but is was not needed and very poorly done.

Production-The dubbing (the ADR) was very irritating at first, but I got used to it.
Music-Theme song was annoying, but the ending theme was pretty. The rest of the music was unmemorable.
Re-watch value-It is such a short show that I would re-watch it, but I would stop before I got to Arc B.

Overall, I enjoyed this show, it fulfilled its purpose by making me smile and laugh a lot. 7.5 stars.
P.S. At the end of each episode are short skits. Don't miss out—watch them!

Marwa
I started watching this drama because I was intrigued by the idea of body swap, and it turned out to be a nice funny story.
That was until the last couple of episodes happened. It felt like the writer of this show just had a sudden idea at the end of making this story and they wanted to insert it no matter what, or just had the idea all along and couldn't mix it well with the rest of the plot. Either way, it is didn't work out and they were a lot of plot holes and unanswered questions. Also, the relationship between the princess and the other man bothered me.
But I'm going to look over all that since I'd enjoyed almost everything about this drama and don't want to ruin the experience. Besides, episode 20 went back to original funny vibes of the show and it was really entertaining. I'd love to see more about Ji Man and Da Xi.

Recommended if you want to watch a (mostly) lighthearted drama with a lot of funny moments.

Kimberly
Oct 17, 2017
*SPOILERS (just a warning)*

I thought this series was pretty cute. The beginning started of REALLY funny, you can tell it's a comedy (probably an indication from the themesong).

Da Xi is the main character starting off the series. My first impression of her was that she was a horn-dog, since the opening scene was here judging the appearance of other men and deciding what makes a good "husband." Her character is refreshing to see in "costume" dramas because she's not the typical damsel in the distress, she's blunt, funny and knows what she wants.

Ji Man is the other main character, he plays the Emperor of Zhou. There's no real impression of him at first, because right when he emerges they do the switcharoo.

Acting is quite hilarious. Especially is Da Xi is in the emperor's body, the actor Zhang Yi Jie had AWESOME expressions of when he's suppose to be Da Xi, especially squealing "like a girl" when she sees her crush Shao Yong. Our main actress, Bai Lu, also does great acting as a man in a woman's body. When the two switch back to their normal bodies, I was so confused seeing Da Xi being goofy in her girl's body!

Like many comments on here, the drama took a weird twist and ended weird. I thought it was interesting. The plot twist where they reveal the "dream sequence" was confusing and left many questions unanswered. For example, if it were a dream why did members of the palace remember Da Xi, if she was only in his dream? O_o There are also plot holes in regards to the Western Goddess Tribe and who they are, and why they didn't just use their magic in the beginning to whisk away the King's men that were ravaging their lands. Oh whale.

The ending was a definitely interesting, I've watched enough time travel dramas to enjoy it. I thought it was funny at the end how they end up in the future, and even switched bodies in the future (perhaps a part two?). My take on it was that, they (Guardian and Mountain Spirit) sent Da Xi to the future w/ an indentity and erase her memories. In the future she's an artist of a manga and pretty much draws out her love story of Da Xi and Ji Man. Ji Man gets sent there with his memories, and finds Da Xi (who has no recollection of who he is). And theyn their love story starts all over, and their soul switches again at the end of the drama.

To me, I feel like its more of Bai Lu gets reincarnated and maybe she subconciously remembers her previous life and thus came up with the idea for her manga. I didn't think it was as terrible as people were saying. The drama is really short, and cute. I'd watch again if I were bored.

TaraLynch
Oct 7, 2017
This one is a Chinese drama that I picked up because the advertisement I saw indicated that it was like Secret Garden (one of my favorite Kdramas).  It... is only like Secret Garden in that the souls of the main couple swap bodies. Body swap hijinks ensue.  Really though, that's where the similarities end. The bulk of each episode is set in a semi-historical setting with a little modern day vignette at the end of each episode.  The main couple is cute, but the whole thing kind of takes an abrupt change of direction around episode 15, ultimately leading to an ending that I didn't really find very satisfying.  Still, it was cute and fluffy, which is pretty much what I wanted it to be. Zhang Yi Jie is really good at adorably, traditionally female pouting.