• Location: Hawaii, USA

Kimberly

Hawaii, USA
The Flame's Daughter
Apr 9, 2018
I told myself, I would not watch dramas WHILE they air because I HATE waiting for subs, and I like to binge. WELL, when there’s a new show with a very familiar cast, I can’t help it. Many of the actors in this drama have starred in 10MPB (you know that one with Yang Mi, Mark Chao). Not sure if they’re ALL under Yang Mi’s agency, however, we see similar faces.

Story: Beware; some of the synopses around the internet are a bit off from what the drama is really about. The plot is developed pretty well (although there are a few holes, here and there). The plot is intricate, and at some points left me 2nd guessing what I would predict would happen (I like that because it means it doesn’t FOLLOW the basic C-Drama line). Anyways, just be prepared for plot twists.

Acting/Cast: I don’t speak Chinese, so I cannot comment on whether I think their speaking is on point. However, I feel most of the acting was genuine and sincere. I cried with some of the characters, and smiled at all the lovey dovey scenes. The kissing on this drama is pretttttty “MEH.” The drama was well cast and everyone seemed to have harmony. I like supporting roles and support love lines. I also liked how badass all the female characters were! Not all of them were weak women that needed “saving.” Even Feng Huang, no martial arts skills, was pretty badass and so strong of a character that Lei Jing Hong got his sh*t together! I also wanted to note that Dilraba and Vin Zhang's acting has gotten so much better than the King's Woman!

Music: Very catchy theme songs and especially the ending theme song. The ending song is sung by Dilraba. It sounds so nice to the ears, I would download it if I could.

Rewatch Value: I’d definitely add this to watch again list. I think it’s a pretty overall great drama. Cinematography is great, the landscape and scenes are beautiful. I liked the courtyards in Liehuo Manor. I.e. Maple had all the maple trees, Plum courtyard had all the plum blossoms, etc.

The New Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre
Dec 14, 2017
This is one of my favorite adaptions of Heaven Sword, Dragon Sabre. Although it's an older version, the fight scenes are awesome and the cast is great! Tony Leung does awesome as Cheung Mo Gai. Because CMG grows up away from society, in the beginning he's easily swayed by people and gets taken advantage of. He's kind of "dumb" like how Kwok Jing is in LOCH (If Felix didn't land that role in 1983, I'd suggest Tony lol). We also have Maggie Shiu as Siu Chiu and Kitty Lai as Princess Chiu Min and then Sheren Tang coming in with the female antagonist.

*Note: I watched Alec Su's version before this one, my mom told me this was one of the original ones that TVB made, so I ended up watching this one. I just liked the cast better, because I grew up watching these ladies and gentleman in these dramas.

If I had the availability to, I'd rewatch it over and over. I'd also watch it in order from LOCH, ROCH to HSDS. :)

Can't Buy Me Love
Feb 2, 2018
Watch "Beyond the Realm of Conscience" before this drama. When I first watched this drama, I didn't realize that it was a direct parody of it. The cast is almost very similar, as are the sets and costumes.

This is a comedy, it's light hearted and very hilarious. You also see growth in compatibility between our two leads Charmaine and Moses (so unlikely to be together at first!). I'd recommend it because it's funny and cheesy.  Currently available on Drama Fever 02/01/18
Feb 28, 2018
WOW! I was one of those that when I first heard of this drama, I was thinking "Oh heck no, I would NEVER watch this." I LOVED Nirvana in Fire 1, it was different from other dramas in terms of schematics and revenge. After I started watching NIF2, I was like WOW!!! It took a while to recall characters from part one, and figure out who is who, but after you do it's a really great drama. The storyline and plot moves well, and doesn't drag. The writers did a really great job with this sequel. Although you do not need to watch the first one (you should anyway lol) to follow this drama, it's nice seeing all the easter eggs and cameos/mentions from NIF1.

The thing that makes NIF and NIF2 so captivating is the writing. Usually when I'm watching dramas, I can GUESS what will happen. I could't ALWAYS guess what the outcomes would be. For example, I thought Ting Sheng just had a evil face and would have thought he WOULD take advantage of the emperor(s). But I was sooooo wrong!

Cast: I'm not familiar with any of the actors in this drama (that's why I didn't want to watch it lol), but everyone did a great job. Liu Hao Ran came through shining, his was BLAH in the beginning but he did great in here. I'm surprised. Huang Xiao Ming also was fantastic. The supporting cast also did well, and I really enjoyed watching all the supporting cast as their characters develop.

Overall, great drama. I'd definitely watch this again! Drop some easter eggs in the spoilers if you caught any!

The Eternal Love
Dec 14, 2017
This was a cute drama, and the ending was satisfactory to me.

Plot/Story: The story and plot was interesting. From the beginning we only know that Qu Tan'er tried to commit suicide when her love the 1st prince is married to her sister. From that point, she has amnesia, not realizing it's because there is another "person" (Qu Xiao Tan) sharing her body and when it's their turn to "sleep" they do not have any memory of what the other person has done/said.  The plot/story was enough to keep me watching, so that I can find out WHY Xiao Tan suddenly was sent to this world.

Qu Tan'er is a noble lady. She's soft-spoken and very polite, but also intelligent.
Qu Xiao Tan is from the modern world and is a real-estate agent, at times she seems selfish and narcissistic, blunt and loud. She's also quite intelligent, and makes a lot of modern day references especially to movies, "Avatar, Matrix and Avengers."

Acting: I was only familiar with one cast member and that was Xing Zhao Ling, whom played the 8th prince (main male lead). The rest of the cast I was not familiar with. Liang Jie does a great job switching between both Qu Tan'er and Qu Xiao Tan, going from subtle to loud and crass. Xing Zhao Ling also does a great job as playing pretty boy that is arrogant, but sometimes caring. He has a really pretty face. His role was almost like YWY from Princess Agent, which he also starred in along Kenny Lin. Overall, I thought the cast did a great job.

I'd rewatch this drama because it was moved pretty fast, kept on point, had enough "drama" to keep me interested, and it's pretty short.

*I'll post spoilers in my comment below. So please go to the comments and expand if you'd like.

The Untamed
Mar 6, 2020
I have not watched a REALLY good drama in FOREVER.

First off a few things:
* I'm not familiar with the cast, at all
* I've never watched similar dramas, in which there are two male "soulmates"
* I've never seen the anime, manga, or read the books.

I did enjoy this drama though, the plot was so intriguing. I loved the mystery behind the whole series. After the flashback scenes are over, I kind of guessed the villain at the end of this drama. However, we were still trying to figure out the motive. I thought the cast and acting was great. The cast did a great job, the interactions were great. I even liked the interactions with the 2nd generation of cultivators. As mentioned, I never read the novel but our two male leads kept me captivated. WWX was so funny, outgoing, arrogant and cocky, on the other hand LWJ is quiet, reserved and cool. They're like polar opposites, but somehow it works.

Although, I had the sound on mute most of the times (I was trying to watch at 2am while fiancee was sleeping lol), the score was beautiful from the times I had the sound on.

Overall, I really enjoyed the drama. If you're like me and stumbled across this drama, but saw this was "boy love" do not fear. Due to China being super "conservative" there are no intimate scenes between our male leads. If you watch this drama w/o reading about the whole sexuality thing, you would just think there's really strong bromances in this drama. Each group had their little pairings.

I would totally go for a sequel, or even spin-offs with the original cast making appearances.

Sword of Legends 2
Nov 8, 2019
I have seen Swords of Legend (2014) featuring Yang Mi & Li Yi Feng - which also had a very mysterious and intriguing plot. This "sequel" is not directly tied in with the previous but continues with having introducing new legendary and powerful swords to us.

In SOL2, we are introduced to the Hanguang sword & Zhaoming sword. Hanguang is supposedly an evil sword that's cursed It’s a powerful soul that requires strength as it can decrease the energy of the person that wields it. Zhaoming is a sword that was used during the ancient battle of the gods (see below) but was broken into many pieces after the battle, and never seen again. Zhaoming sword is so powerful it can cut off the “spiritual energy” of a person.

The plot of the story is that during ancient times, during a mythological battle the sky was damaged so God Shen Nong had to slay a giant turtle to help hold up the pillars of heaven. He used the colored stone to help repair the sky. During this battle, an ancient group of human beings "Leishan tribe" assisted in this battle. As their reward, God Shen Nong granted them to live in a floating island above the earth and presented them with a tree that can give them "immortal" abilities - such as longer lives, super strength, etc. in return the Leishan tribe worshiped God Shen Nong. However throughout the years, the barrier around Leishan's tribe starts to deteriorate and the tree starts to die and people start to get sick, but the god is nowhere to be found. A demon, Li Ying, sees this opportunity and sneaks into their city and grants them help. But in turn, must help him spread demonic tree-roots throughout earth. A group of four heroes from earth discovers the truth and help rally up the martial sects to fight against the atrocities caused by Leishan’s tribe and Li Ying.

Yue Wu Yei (Fu Xin Bo) - Is a spoiled brat and Yanjia enthusiast. (Yanjia is like robots/steampunk type of creations). He is actually of royal lineage of the Wolf Clan of Jiandu (they were destroyed by war) and adopted by “the enemy” General Yue. He’s raised in a lavish environment, being given all by his adopted parents (they do love him though). He was rescued by Xie Yi (Yanjia expert) and later becomes his protege and inherits his skills & powers.

Wenren Yu (Ying Er) - Is a warrior from Baicao valley. She left the valley and now “wanted” by her clan. She is on the search for her master, who went missing after discovering Leishan’s tribe's diabolical plan. She ends up falling for Wu Yei.

Xia Yize (Aarif Rahman) - He is part of the royal family of Chang’an. His mom is consort, who happens to be a mermaid so he’s considered half-monster. He doesn’t want the throne and instead wants to practice Taoism cultivation with his master, but is thrust into palace intrigue. He ends up falling in love with “Fairy of Mount Wu” - Ruan.

Ruan (Jiang Coco) - Initially we think she’s “Fairy of Mount Wu” but she has lost her memory, as Xie Yi had locked her in stone for 10 years. She gradually figures out who she is in the end. She is very sweet and naive and gradually falls for Yize.

Important Side Characters we should know.
Xie Yi/Chu Qi - Is a Yanjia mastermind, and priest from Lieshan’s Tribe. He initially doesn’t agree with causing their people to suffer from the foul-air so he creates yanjia creations to try and break the barrier set by God Fuxi, but he inadvertently lets in Li Ying (the demon). He ends up rebelling against the Supreme Priest because he doesn’t think they should save their people by sacrificing earthmen for Li Ying.

Li Ying - scary/smoke demon. He feeds on people’s emotions and fears.

High Priest/Shen Ye - He is the leader of Leishan’s tribe. All he wants it is to solve his people’s dilemma of sickness, and he is willing to sacrifice earth people’s to Li Ying’s plan to ensure that his tribe can survive. He’s like a good anti-hero of this series.

Yu Qi - The sword spirit inside Hanguang. I liked how cool they made the sword spirit is portrayed in here. He randomly comes out to scold Wu Yei but also gives him advice. He later helps the crew by melding together Hanguang and Zhaoming sword.

Overall, this drama isn’t terrible. I thought the plot was intriguing and I was captivated and wanted to see how it ended. I wasn’t in love with the cast, I thought it was meh (but I thought the same for SOL). I just didn’t feel “connected” to our cast. The romance isn’t super cute, but the ending was overall happy for most characters.

Xi Die Yuan Yang
Apr 19, 2018
Wow! Nice follow up to the first part “Cuo Dian Yuan Yang.” I definitely suggest watching the first part, but it’s not necessarily needed. This drama picks up right after the last one. Su Huan Er gets caught in the middle of a human trafficking den (no idea why, but totally her to have these antics). This drama focuses on the two younger brothers Wu Hen and Wu Jie’s love life, and the brothers trying to make their business more successful but they keep getting hindered multiple times throughout the drama, and in the end figures out the true killer of their father and Su Guang Ping (Huan Er’s father). The entire plot/story ends on a happy note. I’m glad that even the “side” bad guy Murong Fu ends up turning into a good guy, and appreciates the girl that is by his side. Everyone gets happy endings at the end. I wish they would do a scene like fast forward to the next year, and they all got babies ^_^. Han Dong (Wu Hen) is great here. I felt his pain when Liang Yu Shi was thought to be dead, and his anger with his family and enemy for killing her. Gosh the torment was painful. He has an ugly cry, but I felt his acting was so on point. Guo Dong Dong (Wu Jie) is also a great actor. His character is very stubborn, yet rash and naïve. He’s very loyal to his love interest Qin Qiu Yu, even though she’s a courtesan (considered lowly back then) but still pushes his limits. I think he’s a cute actor, and did great. Wu Ji (Qi Ji) and Huan Er (Zanilia) are still my favorites. I love how Huan Er is suppose to be the main mistress of the household, but she still gets into a lot of trouble. Even when her long-lost brother comes back and plots again the Shi family, she unknowingly lets him in and he steals the deed for the land. Overall great series, I’d watch this again. P.S. Just like the first season, the kissing scenes in here are AWESOME for kissing scenes in c-dramas, they’re using tons of lip and tongue. Teehee.

Princess Agents
Nov 13, 2017
Story: This drama did NOT do it's job, and left us seriously hanging. There were way too many unanswered questions.
Acting: I thought all the actors did a great job, and the transition and character growthw as great.
Music: I watched on Viki and they subbed the songs. I thought the songs were great and fit each scene beautifully.
Rewatch Value: MEHHHH, If I'm bored and want to see Kenny Lin or Shawn Dou, yea.

The ending as many have wrote about, SUCKS. I did enjoy the build up but the latter part of this drama did not live up to the hype. I was hoping so much for Chu Qiao and Yuwen Yue but nothing came of it, and she ended up figuring out she liked him on the last episode (yikes). I did like the beginning of the series and seeing everyone's relationship and them being playful and funny. I never thought that this series would take such a dark turn. This drama is also one of the MOST violent dramas I've ever seen. The opening scene is literally guys hunting slave girls for fun.

I'd only watch this if you want to check out hotties, since this drama included many of them even the some of the antagonistic characters and side characters.

Xin Xiao Shi Yi Lang
Sep 28, 2019
I believe I have already seen another remake of this drama as a kid. This version is not terrible. I thought that plot lagged in certain areas and was predictable. Kevin Yan seems too old for this role, or they dressed him up very corny. He has bouncy curls for goodness sake, but in the beginning said his character doesn't shower (Hooooow does his hair stay perfect?!)

The cast was likeable even the bad guy. Male protagonist was casted well. The romance in this drama, we should just recategorize this dramas as heartbreaking drama! Dang! But we do have one happy couple (I guess??) at the end.

This is a wuxia drama so expect lots of blood being spit out. Fight scenes are decent. Most newer wuxia dramas do not focus on action scenes these one was good! There was CGI thrown in but it did seem like the actors made an effort.

If you're bored or in a show hole, I'd recommend it. It's not a terrible drama.

Eternal Love of Dream
May 26, 2020
I knew I was going to love this drama because after TMOPB, I literally binged watched all of Dilireba's costume dramas! So I was immediately excited when they announced they were doing a sequel with our favorite leads. Just to preface, I have never read the novels for this story. But overall, I enjoyed this drama. I enjoyed the song that Dilireba sang too!

There are three arcs for our leads. BFJ as a fox lingering in Early Dawn palace following around DH. BFJ and DH goes to the mortal realm (I thought that part was SOOO long), and lastly BFJ and DH end up in a A'lanrou's dream. Each one tests their relationships and you watch as their relationship blossoms. In TMOPB you only see parts of the first two arcs, but this one dives more into details and shows more (of course). I did think that the last two episodes were VERY rushed, as it was their wedding date and of course DH had to go save the world. FJ misunderstands and leaves and goes lives in the mortal realm with their kid for three years. She comes back to Nine Heavens because Ye Qingti is about to be revived and magically they make up. Although, I was feeling MEH ending, I did love the acting and chemistry between Dilireba and Vengo. I'm sure because they were part of Jaywalk studios they have acted with each other before, their chemistry was sizzling. I was so excited with DJ finally falls for FJ, and he just loves on her. Apparently, there's rumors that they're even dating.

A lot of people have mentioned that Angel Liu (Ji Heng) bought the rights to this drama, and wanted to be FJ but faced backlash so they kind of re-wrote the drama for her as Ji Heng and gave her more screen time (we didn't ask for that). Her character was annoying, but she wasn't the psycho lover like Su Jin. It seemed like they wanted to make her villainous, but kind of watered it down or got bored w/ it. This drama actually lacks a Su Jin if it makes you feel better. No one really plotted heavily against our FJ, or took her eyes.

They did mix up our cast a little. We got one Yang Mi cameo (it was meh!). Zhe Yan and our 4th Uncle have transformed into beautiful young male leads - although it was different, I liked it! I liked that they brought back some of the original characters such as 3rd Prince Song Lian, Si Ming and the Bai Family. I wish they showed more of the other realms, as in TMOBP they showed other realms like the Eastern Sea family and more gods and goddesses. Another thing was was funny was Wayne Liu's character, as he did have a role in TMOPB. He was re-casted as a demon lord, Yan Chiwu. Yan Chiwu was probably one of my favorite side characters, and makes references to his "twin" brother who was Mo Yuan's 16th disciple. It would have been funny if he bumped into his twin XD --- But did anyone remember that in TMOPB the demon princess's name was also YAN Zhi, so they share the same surname. Anyways.....

Overall, this drama was good. It wasn't as good in terms of drama and seeing the love build up as TMOPB. The trials that DJ and FJ went through didn't really hit me as hard as TMOPB. I just thought that BQ and YH went through way more compared to DJ and FJ. And maybe it falls on FJ's personality, she was always naive and kiddy-like. I felt even when she had her kid, she didn't truly mature. And maybe if they didn't white-wash the roles, it would have been more "drama." I mean, they could have done more with Zhi He's character (did they forget she was evil b*tch in Ashes of Love)? But, I understand they did re-write this script to give more screen time to Angel Liu. Maybe there's an original script out there, that could have done 100% better and give us angsty/heartbreak drama that we all wanted.

Yanxi Palace: Princess Adventures
May 9, 2020
I started watching Yanxi Palace mostly because I saw that Charmaine Sheh was starting to make the move over to mainland China productions. I grew up on TVB and HK dramas, so of course I'm her fan!

Just like the parent story, I'm not familiar with MANY of the actors in this drama either. But it was a cute/CRAZY follow up to the parent story. I actually thought Rain Wang looked so SIMILAR to Qin Lan (Fuca Rongyin)!

This drama was a huge twist though, from Zhao Hua having some sort of "mental" issues, and then Fu Kang'an being led astray buy his uncle. The story was just so intense and sort of closed some of the loose threads we had from the parent story.

The only qualm I had was this drama was too short! I liked the shenanigans and I felt it was a bit rushed.

The Story of Ming Lan
Jul 1, 2019
I love Zanilia and William, and how cute that they are now married and pregnant!

This drama isn't very "action packed" if you're looking for Zanilia to do stunts like you've seen her do in Princess Agents. It's more like Lu Zhen if anything, she can speak her way out of any issues! This one is not really "palace intrigue" but details the life of a middle-class (can you even classify them as that?) and their struggles with rankings (Main wife, 2nd wife, 3rd wife, etc) and their children's struggles trying to "find their place." Sadly, Ming Lan grows up in a house where her mom is a lower-ranked wife/mistress and they are not treated nicely by the main and 2nd wives. There is a lot of plotting from the mothers down to the daughters!

The romance part of the drama doesn't really kick in right away, but we pretty much root from Zanilia & William since they're kids (well I did!). It doesn't get lovey-dovey until the end where he claims his love for her. But still so intriguing to watch it from beginning to end.

Overall, I liked this drama and I thought they were cast so well to play a couple!

Railroad Tigers
Dec 26, 2018
I love me some Jackie Chan movies, and especially now that there is such amazing advances in technology. The cinematography in this drama is captivating. The movie is set during the time Japan is taking over a lot of Asia. Thank goodness this drama is not as gory as other movies I've seen set during the same time. Jackie has his own little gang of train robbers, and they happen to rescue a Chinese soldier, who tells them about his last (suicide) mission. The gang takes into their hands to help the Chinese fulfill their mission (you know patriotism!!). They do crazy antics like trying to rob C4 from a Japanese military base, and totally F#@$ the train in order to fulfill the mission.

I really love the cast in this drama. They did a great job casting, I thought the actors were so diverse (they all weren't pretty/kawaii, but there is a lot of eye candy). I also though the chemistry between all the actors was amazing. I bet it must have been amazing for all the young actors to work with Jackie. :D

Overall, great movie. The plot was great and interesting, the acting was good. There was a nice balance between seriousness & comedy. Also the fighting scenes were pretty intense, even with them using guns and a tank ON A TRAIN!!! The CGI at the end was sucky, but that was my only complaint.

Legend of Lu Zhen
Jun 6, 2018
Wow, what a long but awesome drama! I love Zanilia in here, her acting is very versatile and this drama shows true range in her abilities (she’s not a zombie w/ no emotions).

This drama was addictive from beginning, but the last three episodes had me like MEH. Anyways, the store is about Lu Zhen who is her father’s first daughter, but is mistreated by her step mother. Her skills in helping the family business, makes her step mother & uncle jealous so they plot against her to get rid of her. While on the run, she bumps into Prince Gao Zhan, who’s stepmom is ALSO plotting against him he is the emperor’s favorite son. Both of them lose their fathers, and is framed for killing their father. However, Gao Zhan is able to find evidence he is not responsible, but by then his brother had already been thrust onto the throne. Their journey, is Lu Zhen working her way up from a palace maid to become a 6th rank official, to re-address her father’s murder and seek justice (and mishaps along the way).

This drama had so much romance and lovey-dovey between Lu Zhen and Gao Zhan. Both actors were fantastic, and had great chemistry. I haven’t seen Zanilia in another drama because CDYY that is THIS lovey-dovey, and the two leads match and look cute together. The ending was a happy ending. My only gripe is how many times they have a falling out, relationships right? I do love how faithful Gao Zhan and Lu Zhen were to one another. Gao Zhan rejected so many ladies for her.

The bad guys in here are endless. The Empress Dowager (Gao Zhan’s step mom) is such a evil bee-yotch. The whole time she’s blaming Gao Zhan and Xiao Huanyun for her son Gao Yan’s downfall/demise, but it was her own!!! Shen Ah Bi, is also another ruthless, mean girl but got bit by karma in the end. She was a hopeless romantic for Gao Zhan, but he already had someone else on his mind.

The side characters are so cute. I love Dan Niang, as she loves to EAT. She’s a cute character, wish she had a better ending for herself.

Overall, great drama. It’s not historically accurate. I looked up both Gao Zhan and Lu Zhen’s character, and in real life they were bad guys!