Where Stars Land (2018) poster

manicmuse
Nov 28, 2018
"Where Stars Land" is exactly the kind of romance I was in the mood for. I initially avoided it because of so many negative comments, but I'm so glad I decided blindly to give this drama a chance inspite of that. I have been disappointed, and honestly bored, by quite a few romance dramas recently, but with this drama I was pleasantly surprised instead. It's set in an airport, a familiar KDrama setting, but the focus is on the customer service staff in particular. I think it's best to watch this drama not knowing or expecting anything, so I will be careful not to reveal too much, but it turned out to be more than just the opposites attract romcom I expected it to be, and actually had a pretty original story that kept me interested until the very end (flaws and all).

It stars Lee Je Hoon as Lee Soo Yeon who's straight laced and by the book character is matched with Chae Soo Bin as the stubbornly impetuous Han Yeo Reum. All of the complaints I read about the drama were about Han Yeo Reum, and how much people hated her, but I didn't have a problem with her character at all. I think her character is frustratingly ambitious on purpose in order to disturb Soo Yeon's futile attempt at having a quiet and routine worklife. Of course their conflicts lead to some great chemistry and I loved the way the story between them developed. I was a fan Lee Je Hoon in "Signal", but this is my first time seeing him as a romantic lead. I also loved Chae Soo Bin in "I Am Not a Robot", so it was great to see her in another romance, and she did not disappoint me. Together they had cute and comedic moments as well as heartbreaking dramatic moments, and even when parts of the story were weak, their character development was strong.

As for the supporting cast there were characters that were favorites, some who were underutilized, and some who were boring as hell. My favorites in the supporting cast were definitely Kim Kyung Nam as Oh Dae Ki and Lee Soo Kyung as Na Yeong Joo of the security team, who's chemistry was entertaining enough to deserve their own spinoff show. I thought Lee Dong Gun was great, although almost typecast in his role, but because his storyline was compartitively weak I felt like his talent was a little bit wasted. I also wanted to know much more about Mr. Jang who I feel like never got enough screentime for being such a huge part of the story. Then there was Kim Jee Soo as Yang Seo Koon, who seemed like a character I would like in the beginning, but she turned out to be so boring that I'm still not quite sure about anything involving her character. Also, because so much of this drama revolves around work, there's a pretty good ensemble cast feel among the airport staff, which helps make the random airport stories seem less disjointed.

For me, the weakest parts of the drama was the internal airport drama between management, which was too vague to care about, and took up too much time. There are also parts of Soo Yeon's backstory that I wish were better explained, but I still think the parts they did focus on were well done as far as drivng the story and his motivation. With the short episode format there was always enough in each episode to keep me curious and make me want to keep watching. By the end, the story felt like it was definitely rushed, but all the parts of the story that I cared about were resolved (although I'm still not sure if the very end was an artistic choice or an emergency decision).

Would I rewatch this? Yes. I think the chemistry between the main couple is what carries this show, more than the general story, so I would probably still enjoy it with a second viewing.

Overall, "Where Stars Land " isn't going to make it to my favorites list, but it's much better than some of the mediocre dramas I forced myself to finish this year. I recommend giving it a chance, especially if you are a romance fan. You may find out that under it's unassuming appearance is a drama with a spark of something extroadinary.

chimuras
Nov 27, 2018
First of all, I will be honest that almost dropped this show watching the first two episodes, because I thought it would be one of the trending "relationship-between-human-and-robot" stories. However, I returned to this show after I was unexpectedly spoiled by YouTube and realized my guesses were wrong.
This show focused on human relationships rather than real-life problems that happen in airports. Typical plots in airport dramas such as airplane accidents and troublesome passengers were covered, but briefly. Other than the relationship between the top two, the security couple, the manager couple, the lonely friend, some stressful bosses were covered.

The con reasons I gave 7/10 overall for this drama are the following:
- There was nothing deep or surprising. Basically, some ruined relationships in the past were fixed with some gangsters involved. They could have been fixed easily by simply communicating.
- Too many unique characters, and some were irrelevant to the story. Scenes like witnessing a husband cheating, workplace rumors, and relationship with some dark forces... these incoherent incidents messed up the main plot.
- Ending sucked. All those emotional struggles surrounding his disability became unnecessary in the end, because no one cared about it including him in the end right?

Like it said during the show, everyone is unique and have different views and opinions, despite working at a place where they serve customers who only care about themselves, because it's an airport. You can think of each other as "someone passing by in your life", and you will eventually forget about the encounter. I really liked this message.

It was really heartwarming to watch, with the help of some great OSTs. They really matched the theme of this show. However, it all ends up to this feeling, as if I rid on a ferris wheel instead of a roller coaster. Everyone carried stresses in the middle, but they all got along in the end.

evilhomer450
Nov 27, 2018

Lacked detail and depth

It felt rushed, especially the relationship between Soo Yeon and Yeo Reum. It didn't seem like there was any emotion connection or struggle then bam, they're in a relationship. Im honestly left wondering the entire time, what does Yeo Reum see in this guy? Their whole dynamic is very awkward.

The resolutions of day the day storylines within the airport are also fairly disappointing and a bit boring. Apart from the episode with the foreign actor, a lot of the airport cases were very textbook kdrama and didn't make use of the airport setting well.

I wouldn't really bother with this one.

jennydinhworld
Dec 4, 2018
I watched this drama when all the episodes came out and I’m glad I did. Otherwise, I would’ve dropped it on the first couple episodes.

At first when you watch it, the first couple episodes are really. Really. Annoying. Some characters introduced are overbearing/really unrealistic - but the most overbearing thing about this drama was the female lead. It’s 2018, and she was relatively stupid, weak and honestly unrealistic. I guess the writers wanted to make her seem cute/ relatable - but most of her actions was either cringe or infuriating. I was really disappointed since I LOVED the actress who played her chatacter. However - her character DOES get explained and there is a reason why she is written like that. But it isn’t immediately explained or shown.

The story is also written quite badly. But I guess their motif of “nothing is a coincidence” and their themes surrounding fate could be a reason for the story being written like the way it was.

Overall - the show had great potential. The actors/actresses picked for this drama was great, but the story, the writing and direction of this drama... it could’ve been better.

mopalia
Dec 1, 2018
This was supposed to run 40 episodes (i.e. 20 hour-long episodes) but it got cut to 16 hours because once again, someone in planning/scheduling apparently didn't realize that Chuseok was coming, or that there might be sports events. So if you enjoy dramas with lame endings, unresolved threads, and having that familiar feeling of "That's all? Seriously, that's ALL?" at the end, then this drama is a must watch. If you would rather see something far more satisfying, look elsewhere.

The plot is OK, and the actors did a good job. i didn't particularly care for the lead couple, but that's a matter of personal taste (I'm really tired of emotionally constricted men and "I can't do anything right" women). I did love the airport security couple, they were played to perfection. I hope there is more of Kim Kyung-Nam and Lee Soo-Kyung in the future. Ro Woon also created an delightful "guy who won't get the girl" character. (If you think that's a spoiler, you haven't watched enough K-drama!) So no complaints about the cast. The writing was engaging, and the plot was promising and almost certainly planned to have a better ending.

I didn't notice the music especially, which means it was at least not annoying. But overall, I think the best character was the airport cleaning robot, at least he got some decent closure at the end - even if it was pretty tacky.

My apologies to the cast, the writer and the director, who got really screwed by whomever decided to chop this off.

shyni
Jan 13, 2019
I liked the story and the airport setting, I learned a lot about how's life in an airport.

The female may seem a bit annoying at first but that's part of her unsecure character and she gets better in time.

The male is sweet but kinda dumb at times, I wanted to scream at him through the screen.

The disability plot was a good idea but it wasn't represented well in my opinion.

The romance was heartwarming and sweet and the side couple was really cute too.

The Osts are really good too and made the romance scenes even better.

The only complain I have is the ending, not that it was bad but because it was incredibly rushed, it will would have been better if certain things had been explained. Even so I liked this drama and didn't feel like I wasted my time, I rec it but only to watch one time, I don't really plan on rewatching it.

Scrlt_pimpernel
Dec 24, 2018
The female lead was beyond irritating in this show. She was so dumb and I guess they were going for “cutely awkward”, but they missed the mark. I hung around for the unique storyline and main male lead. He’s such a good actor! Without him and the unique plot, I would give this a “5”. Make no mistake though, there’s a lot of plot holes and it was too rushed the last few episodes, not to mention the airport problems and how security dealt with them were downright unrealistic and even irresponsible and dangerous. It would make me nervous to travel in this airport if that’s reality. Really wish I could rate this higher, but I think my “6” is generous enough. I wouldn’t rewatch this either.

Life is good
Nov 28, 2018
Drama start in a amazing way , everything is just up to the mark emotions ,love story ..Basically I think this drama tells about the lives of employee at the airport what they faced at daily bases in the airport ,what type of situation come across,how to handle the tough situations ,though things are going wrong still sometime with a lowering of head we have to accept because it is duty and boss is always right .The story don't get bored so the writer put two different love story ,one with love triangle ..One side emotional love and the other side is funny as well as cute love. I love the lead actor acting too much then second couple funny love story ...
Some dialogues of the drama I like it.
1.I like the manager acting as well as dialogue that what happened to kids nowadays that they did not have any effect about their boss saying ,second atleast give answer about what am I saying.
2. It looks 3 seconds to like someone
Through her father he connected with her.
3. I don't know anything about you ,but all I know tonight and right know...
As drama started I though lead actor shown as iron man or someone come from a star . But they take the story in another way but that is way is also good. They shows that lead actor connected with the lead actress through her father but they didn't show what happened to her father when he told her that how he like her and when she asked about her father so he said slowly slowly he will tell her about him but that part they didn't show.
End part make me so disappointed that why they didn't shows the lead actor face as it look like they wrap up the shooting fast .Look like a incomplete story.

allyson
Dec 2, 2018
TL;DR? This drama has a lot of flaws that will irritate you if you need a cohesive, well-written storyline. But if you can just hop on for the ride and to love some characters, you might be surprised how much you like this.

This is seriously not my style of drama. The setting, the synopsis, the writing. There is nothing about this drama that screams Allyson. However, I really did enjoy this one a lot. That’s not to say it didn’t have its flaws, cause it definitely did. But even with those flaws, I don’t regret spending time with these characters.

Because that’s the best thing about this drama, the characters. They are so vivid and bright and it’s really just fun to watch them fumble their way through these complicated situations and try and take care of the people around them. The romances were sweet, of a little lacking pda from anyone but the main couple. But I defy you to watch this show and not fall in love with at least one character.

As to the story, it was a mess. There were a lot of abandoned plot points, and a lot of plot points that dragged on way, way too long. And a lot of things were not brought to a satisfying resolution. But I’m sure you’ve seen the comments! Luckily, I did too. I think going into it, knowing that the ending is going to be rushed and a little off-kilter really did help mitigate my expectations. Going in prepared for the flaws makes it a little easier to ignore them, I think.

The actors, for me, did an amazing job in their roles. After I Am Not A Robot, I knew I could expect good things from Chae Soo Bin, and she really didn’t disappoint. Similarly, I fell for Lee Je Hoon’s character pretty hard! And the two security guards were just beyond adorable. Really, everyone just did a great job here.

All in all, I think this drama is worth a shot, if you are looking for something to just enjoy and not put much thought or effort into. If you’re looking for phenomenal story writing, you’re in the wrong place.

Foglia
Nov 20, 2018
'Where Stars Land' is definitely neither a blockbuster nor a classic. However it is of a certain quality that you feel satisfied with what you watch. Richness of sub- plots, acting skills of the whole cast, the amount of intriguing factors all come together and form a clean-cut, decent drama.

First of all life in an international airport is something very attractive. 'Where Stars Land' offers you such an appealing background. You come across active daily routine of airport employees.
Then, there is a sort of mystery and suspense. You try to decipher the relationship of two brothers; especially the story of the older one.
Besides there are some 'easy to love', good -hearted, at the same time down-to-earth and credible characters that uplift you.
Finally, although it is not very intense or thrilling enough, still there is a love story in it.
So you can watch this drama without getting bored. May be you won't be impressed but in a way you will enjoy it to some extent .

Personally I am not very much fond of sort of 'hygienic' romances;
thirty something people that are literally untouched, that haven't experienced any romantic relationship or any physical love contact as if it is the way which is innocent and normal are the mean leads. Moreover they don't share anything that can be considered as intimate throughout the drama... I find this approach rather detrimental.
Here the romance style of the drama is very similar to that; that is why I couldn't relate to the love story of the main couple or the second one. But there is no doubt that both Lee Je Hoon & Chae Soo Bin are very pretty and they look cute together.

xXabsintheXx
Aug 5, 2019
8 is "good" and good means I liked it. 8.5 is "good +" or B+ which means I enjoyed it a bit more than "just" good. So yeah, this is definitely not a bad drama.

Having an airport as the main stage is a nice change of scenery. It felt refreshing to see how life of those workers looks like. Though the focus changed in the second half of the drama.

They tried to cover a lot of backstories with only small dialogues here and there which I liked that way. You don't always need a multi-paged essay about everyone and every connection/relationship people have. Sometimes dropping some words on the sidetrack will also inform you about the whole thing, so you don't have to complain about distractions.

I also appreciated that they displayed 3-dimensional side characters with the help of small side-stories which again were kept short. It made those characters more likable and got those actors some small time to shine as well.

The love story was really sweet and got even quite heartbreaking towards the end. The development was well done, it felt real and pure. And Chae Soo Bin and Lee Je Hoon... oh well, they nailed it. There was chemistry, there was magic between those two. Their intimate moments felt natural. That special charm between them made me so damn emotional at the end.

It was also nice to see familiar faces in smaller roles, for example Choi Won Young (I Remember You), Nam Da Reum (SFD and many more, this boy has just too many "younger version" roles, lol) and Park Hyuk Kwon (the make up and swords master of SFD :p).

Lee Dong Gun's role was the one I despised the most. I wanted to punch him so many times, my knuckles were itching all the time. Of course, k-dramaland had to give him some excuses for his behavior. But it didn't change the fact that Seo In Woo was one detestable fellow for me. But I guess he doesn't care much about my opinion.

As for the secret of the male lead... During earlier episodes I thought that it wasn't necessary to make it extra special for the drama because the normal version would have served enough story already and I didn't see the purpose behind the way they put it. But right after finishing I had to look that part up and get a bit smarter about it (I also misunderstood parts of that secret in the beginning). I came to the conclusion that it's alright. How they told that part of the story, why they chose to do it that way and that there is indeed not exactly a "normal" version of it in real life either. There are similar things but nothing would have worked for the path the writers had in their minds. Although I have to say that they shouldn't have bothered with that action finale. It was too much and the story would still have worked out fine. They did follow that certain thread right from the beginning, so it wouldn't alienate in the end. It was still unnecessary.

So, yeah, quite an enjoyable drama that tells its story slowly but without getting boring.

New2KoreanDr2021
Dec 6, 2018
So I almost didn't even watch this drama but it just so happened, when it started, I didn't have a lot of dramas to watch so I went ahead and clicked play...I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't at all what I was expecting. Sure it had flaws and some parts got boring but overall it was a sweet and cute drama.

STORY: When I first started watching this drama, I just thought this drama was just going to be about employees at the airport but BOY WAS I WRONG! The writers really took me for a loop and threw in a lot more than I expected. Now I am not going to reveal the huge secret of the storyline because you wouldn't need to watch the drama but I still want to talk about minor storylines, which is why the spoiler alert is in affect. One of the downers of the drama was some of the storylines introduced in the drama. I didn't think some were necessary and some even overshadowed the main lead's story. I didn't see the point of the entire gangster storyline. I think it just added unnecessary angst and I felt like it didn't need to be there. I also felt that some of the storylines were dropped halfway through and never picked up again such as the whole thing with the main lead girl's father...We still don't know much about him. I also don't understand why we didn't see the main male lead at the end of the drama...what was the point in that. Not that it made the ending disappointing or anything, it was just again unnecessary. I also think it could have been less episodes than it already was...maybe like 12 or 14. The drama started out as a workplace drama with a light feel but gets bogged down by unnecessary angsty storylines.

ACTING/CAST: I think the best part of this drama was the characters and their journeys/growth throughout the drama. I also liked that it wasn't just the main leads that had interesting storylines and growth but the supporting cast also had it. I think that made me love the drama even more because I grew to love the support characters as much as I loved the main leads. Granted I will say, I was more invested in the main leads separately than together...not that they didn't have chemistry or anything, I just liked them separately and how they grew separately throughout the drama. The security couple were cute as well. I LOVED LOVED LOVED Lee Je Hoon's character in this drama and his acting was amazing! That man can put so much emotion on his face, even if it is just in his eyes. I loved him in this drama. He was my favorite.

Now there were 2 characters that I absolutely hated and still sort of hate even when the drama is over. I HATE HATE HATE Lee Dong Gun's character. I saw no reason to make him so mean AT ALL! I also was not fond of Ro Woon's character. Maybe it was because I absolutely loved Lee Je Hoon's character and he was just mean to him too. (Let's be honest, I was watching this drama for Lee Je Hoon haha)

MUSIC: I loved all the OSTs of this drama...listening to them on repeat.

REWATCH: I probably wouldn't rewatch the entire drama again but I might choose scenes that I loved to rewatch

OVERALL: This drama is just a warm and cozy drama to watch. A relaxing drama to turn on after a long day because you come to love the characters and the characters really make the drama special. Don't need to take it to seriously, just a nice relaxing drama with loveable characters and a unique storyline.