The Tower (2012) poster

Korean Movies

saaamannthaaa
Dec 19, 2013
I was just browsing around Netflix and saw this was a korean movie around Christmas so I decided to watch it because 'tis the season! Greatest decision I made today.
This movie... where do I even begin... I forgot to breathe in so many parts! I was laughing and crying and just praying for dear life in this disaster film. You'll fall in love with so many characters and, just like many disaster films, you have to hope and pray your favorite characters do not die.
I highly recommend this movie. It is not the best but it is certainly one of my favorite disaster films right now.

LeejLicious
Jul 29, 2013
This is a really good movie. I was really surprised! This movie will play with your feelings, and sometimes you even forget to breathe! You'll forget everything around you and it feels like you are in the movie, it sucks you right in.
I was scared to see horrible fake scenery but it didn't the special effects were amazing!! The person who was responsible for the special effect is a true master!
What I loved the most in this movie was the fact that it played in different perspectives. How people react, how people act and how they were, it's a real eye opener.

This movie might make you cry and smile at the same time. It's got a little bit of humor in it, just a tiny bit and I appreciate it.

I gave it a 7 on the story because some things might be somewhat unrealistic, but that is just a tiny mark. This is a good rewatch and this is a movie that will pump some adrenaline trough you vains, I recommend you to watch this!

rachel
Apr 28, 2014
Disaster movies are somewhat new to the Korean movie industry I believe. Haeundae was the biggest hit before this movie.

In this movie, money was definitely no limit in the special effects department. The flames, explosions and collapsing scenes were scary.

Being a Korean movie, you should not be surprised by the melodramatic elements in it. Perhaps that is a weak point of the movie - that the characters and their stories are cliched, the movie is trying too hard to knock the 'moral of the story' into your head, like how the rich always escape unscathed, yet are the least deserving to be rescued, pride will always befall man, etc. In fact, in light of stories that have emerged from recent disasters like Sewol in Korea and Rana Plaza in Bangladesh, perhaps the human stories are still the most important in bringing hope in the midst of tragedy.

Not a deep and meaningful movie, but still an alright way to spend 2 hours.

Rieyl
Apr 14, 2019
I was expecting just another typical disaster movie, but The Tower surprised me in the best possibly way.

While the plot itself is nothing new, the execution was IMO brilliant. In movies of this type, the initial character setup and relationships makes the beginning of the movie drag. The Tower had just the right amount of setup at just the right pace.

Actors/Cast:
Sol Kyung Gu is one of my favorite actors, and he did not disappoint! Kim Sang Kyung and Son Ye Jin gave excellent performances, as well. Jo Min Ah was perfect as Lee Dae Ho’s daughter. I look forward to seeing her grow as an actor.

Special effects:
The special effects were awesome, and the pyrotechnics were extremely well done.

The music matched the mood of each scene perfectly.

Rewatch value:
I don't usually rewatch a movie of this genre, but I might make an exception for this one.

Mar 6, 2018
If you look at the first half of the movie, you can imagine why this kind of catastrophe movie is no longer produced in Hollywood. In the second hour, at the latest, however, the realization awaits: a flaming skyscraper, which threatens to collapse because of the great heat, as the steel building begins to melt and the giant clouds of ashes and dust, which cross street canyons, unintentionally recall the events of September 11, 2001. But The Tower is not trying to take advantage of that. Instead, the film is as enthralling as the victims and properly implemented emergency services. The critique of two-tier society, which is subdivided into the upper class and the team, can hardly be more open and ends not less important on a cynical but credible note. The fact that the drama gets carried away is due to the fact that as well as the characters who are close enough to live, that their fate is interesting and at the same time very well incorporated.

DLSEUL
Dec 22, 2015
I hated this movie, I felt so angry when it ended. I enjoyed the beginning, but it made a downward spiral after the chaos starts to happen. I wanted to punch the lead, as his character was so annoying and slightly pathetic. He kept crying and crying, I have no problem with other men showing emotion, but he should have been taking action and trying to be strong for his daughter. You would think that his character would be stronger because of how he acts in the beginning, but you will be surely disappointed by the end.