My ID is Gangnam Beauty

Sam-I-Am
Sep 16, 2018
Okay, first of all, I want to address the haters out there. They are going to say that Cha Eun Woo is just another Idol who can't act. He is just a pretty face that doesn't deserve the lead roles already. They will also be saying that Im Soo Hyang is too old for the role. I have also read a few people say that the story was "too slow" and the romance "too childish".
I disagree with all of the above statements. Cha Eun Woo has some serious acting chops. I am not really a critic. Honestly, I usually think everyone is great, but all the negative comments he was getting made me pay extra attention. His character was pretty traditional stoic and standoffish. But I thought he played the part well. He would have these minute facial expressions that showed what he was thinking. And his character grew and progressed as the story went on.
Im Soo Hyang did an awesome job for the part. Because of the plastic surgery she was supposed to look more "mature" than her fellow students, so her age wasn't really a problem. The actress was excellent for the part. I can't imagine anyone else doing such a good job portraying someone who looks beautiful but feels ugly.
As for the rest, haters gonna hate.
This was a lovely show about a girl who was bullied all through her childhood for being "ugly". Before entering college, she gets plastic surgery done on her whole face in hopes that she can have a new life. But it turns out, it takes more than a new face to change your life. She has to learn to love herself and to not judge herself or others based on the way they look.
Most importantly, at least for me, the ending was perfect. It had everything I want in a drama ending. And for me that is pretty rare.

b2uty
Sep 17, 2018
I feel like this is probably an unpopular opinion, however I found this drama to very mediocre... For a show that keeps pushing the idea that beauty isn't everything and personality matters more, you would think they would give the two leads some pretty interesting personalities to work with. But no, the two leads were the most uninteresting characters I think I have ever come across in a Korean drama. The only "chemistry" they had, was the fact that they were both in the chemistry department at school. The male lead seemed to only have one facial expression; brooding. His only attractive quality (pretty much his only quality in general) was that he was extremely attractive. And even that was spoonfed to us each episode by characters needing to excessively point out that fact. When the two leads were in scenes together it was almost painful to watch. The only character who actually had depth was Soo Ah.

The story? There basically was none. Pretty much everything that happens in the drama is written in the description for this drama...

I also feel I need to point out that this drama seems to be being praised left and right for apparently having a strong message, but it completely fails to deliver when it has multiple product placement ads for weightloss tools such as real diet pills and drinks. What a joke.

3GGG
Sep 16, 2018
PLOT: Slow paced, ambitious & thought-provoking.
--------------------------------------------------------------
This drama (as well as its source material) depicts a love story wrapped around a social critique of the often cruel role "beauty standards" play in women's daily life. Meeting those beauty standards has become a source of stress for women worldwide, but in South Korean culture --as this drama suggests-- not being part of the "ideal beauty" results in a harsher treatment from society. This drama also emphasizes that the expectation to look a certain way affect everyone in different ways -- with no one --regardless of whether they are considered naturally beautiful or not-- being spared.

In that respect, Mi-Rae (our female lead) isn't the shallow person the summary might imply. It takes just the first episode to understand how she became a victim of society's expectations. She didn't undergo surgery to become beautiful, she just wanted people to accept her as a "person," which is incredibly heartbreaking.

The issue that arises afterward, one which she hadn't anticipated, was that people would still judge, reject and critique her. And that's where the story takes off. We not only follow Mi Rae as she gains confidence, but also other interesting characters who'd been suffering because (or for) their looks.

It's worth noting, however, that the pacing of this show is slow compared to other rom-com dramas. I'd say it's a stretch to tag it with comedy, since the comedic moments, despite how successfully they are implemented, are few and far between. That's not to say the show is weighted down by an overload of melodrama, because it's not. Instead, this show can be described as a sliced of life focused on self-reflection which, if you're open to it, will get you emotionally invested in the characters. Be forewarned, many of the male characters in this show (and some of the female ones) will definitely rile you up on more than one occasion.

If I have one critique apart from the wardrobe, it would be the disbalance in the portrayal of the male characters. Except for a few gems, all the male characters were written like jerks and that can be off-putting. Some balanced between jerks and good guys could've helped the show feel less toxic.

MAIN CHARACTERS: Interesting & lovable
--------------------------------------------------------------
Kang Mi Rae (female lead played by Im Soo Hyang): She's a character who's suffered all her childhood because her looks didn't meet her peer's standards. She grew up as an introvert, keeping away from people, looking at other people's life from afar and wishing she was allowed to have fun. Her frustration drove her to seek solace under the knife and, though she now had an acceptable face in society's eyes, her insides were still bruised and broken. Mi Rae is a complex and balanced character. If push comes to shove she'll fight, but mostly she tries to fly under the radar. She's smart and almost a natural when it comes to creating perfumes, but she struggles with an inferiority complex and doesn't like standing in the limelight. Though the actress looks quite old for the role, it is worth noting that the character was conceived by the webtoon artist as having an "older girl" look, so it stays true to the original intent.

Do Kyung Suk (male lead played by Cha Eun Woo): He exists on the opposite side of the spectrum from Kang Mi Rae but also grows up feeling lonely. He's a handsome, smart, strong, kind and very straightforward guy whose isolation came as a result of presenting a front of "perfection" and "hating" anything to do with beauty (for reasons later explained). As a result, he's socially awkward, brutally honest and a harsh judge. Though, to his credit, he's a character whose pride doesn't get in the way of realizing when he's made a mistake and make amends. Though some viewers didn't like his acting, personally I found his stoic way of delivering lines grew on me more and more as the show progressed.

Yeon Woo Young (second male lead played by Kwank Dong Yeon): He's such a good character that he ends up giving Kyung Suk a run for his money. He's kind, honest, selfless and very mature. Though his character is a bit imbalanced (as in he has more strengths than flaws), he's still a lovable man who, despite his good points, doesn't come off as being "too perfect". He's a character who helps those around him without expecting anything in return, even when he's financially struggling. Overall, his charming personality earned him fans within and outside the show.

ANTAGONIST: Complex and pitiful
--------------------------------------------------------------
Hyeon Soo Ah (second female lead played by Jo Woo Ri): She's someone stuck between Mi Rae and Kyung Suk in the spectrum of society's judgment. Though she's considered a natural beauty, she's not a stranger to suffering. Her struggles come from forcing herself to live in service of what other people expect of her. She's a character who's not only dishonest with other people, but with herself as well. Though she earned quite a bit of hate, I personally found her character very pitiful. The drama ended up brushing over her backstory, so if you're curious you can always check out the webtoon to get a better understanding of her motivations.

PORTRAYAL OF ROMANCE: Slow paced, healthy & nurturing
--------------------------------------------------------------
I mentioned before that the show is slow-paced and this is true for the romance as well. However, that pacing allows the progression of classmates to friends to lovers to feel very natural and endearing. There's a lot of cute scenes between the leads without making it cheesy, which is a plus for me.

Some highlights of the romance:
-Their relationship is always healthy.
-Both characters are new at romance, so they take their time to find their ground and, though they stumble, they do it together.
-Both learn from each other, creating a very balanced relationship.
-They learn to communicate what they want and need so the other person can understand, making their relationship not only refreshingly endearing but also nurturing.

OVERALL: Highly Recommended (and the webtoon as well)
--------------------------------------------------------------
This is an interesting slice of life that follows a group of characters trying to find their place in the world and build the courage to live by their standards, rather than society's judgment. Though it's slow-paced, the plot is interesting and the mood is often lightened up by warm moments of affection between the leads, their families and their friends.

Keep in mind, I saw this as it was coming out. So binge watching it might give you a different experience because the plot moves slowly and the acting can sometimes come off looking/sounding very wooden. However, this is doubtlessly a memorable show that'll give you food for thought.

If you're able and willing, I'd also encourage you to read the webtoon. There's a lot of insight to be gained that will help you get a better viewing experience. There are scenes, especially at the beginning of the drama, that'll make more sense if you know the context the webtoon provides.

pktljames
Sep 16, 2018
This show takes an interesting perspective when it comes to plastic surgery. It deals with the "after" of plastic surgery and how changing a person on the outside, doesn't change them on the inside. It's interesting to watch Mi Rae deal with the world looking like a new person while still feeling very much like the old person (prior surgery). I also love that her love interest in the show knew her prior to surgery, so it's an neat perspective that he has as well.

The acting in this is great. The only slight quibble I had is that Cha Eun Woo is noticeably younger than Im Soo Hyang even though they are supposed to be the same age. He's even supposed to be 10 days older than her. However, it's not a big enough issue to affect the show, it was just something that I noticed. Both of them did a great job with their roles as did all the cast. The two creepy guys in the show are exceedingly creepy and the evil girl is horrible, so those roles were filled well too. My favorite characters though (aside from the two leads) were probably the second male and female leads. I loved their relationship and enjoyed any time they got to be onscreen together...or even separately. They were just good characters who were fun to watch.

The music in this is really good too. It was catchy and fun.

I absolutely recommend this show. And if you enjoy a sweet romance, I think you will too.

Quitas
Sep 15, 2018
->OVERALL
I'm part of those 5% or even 0% who think this drama was just "ok"...
People were crazy loving this drama, but I didn't see anything special about it.
I started the drama because it is a school drama, and I love that type of shows and maybe because of Eunwoo too. I was curious how he would behave in a main role.

->STORY
It is different and it is about something that we don't usually see in shows: Plastic surgeries. But honestly that was the only thing that made the drama "ok" for me. And then we have the romantic side story, that was the usual couples we see in kdramas. But they focused in the romance too much.

->CAST
Failed a bit.
The characters are the typical ones in school dramas. The innocent main girl, the quiet, handsome, popular main guy, the 2nd lead guy who is nice and cute, the girl who is a bitch, the protective best friend, etc...

People were saying Eunwoo did really good and his acting is amazing, but where exactly? He didn’t change his expressions for the whole 16 episodes. We actually don't know much about his acting skills.

Im Soo Hyang//Mi Rae- Her acting was kind of ok, but she never changed her face expressions...it was so boring...
Her character was kind of off. She made a plastic surgery to be loved and feel ordinary, and there's nothing wrong with that, but she doesn't try to be loved either. Some of her actions are ridiculous. If she wants to start from zero, she needs to act like so.

Soo Ah, yes I’m going to talk about her, she was the typical bitch.
She has no developments during the drama, only in the last episodes we see her perspective.
I didn't hate her, I even think she was better that the female lead lol. But yes, she continued to be annoying.

I'm actually happy they added Mi Rae's best friend, if she didn't exist, it would have been a little boring, but it is a pity that we don't know about their friendship in the past, we always saw Mirai alone in the past...

2nd lead guy, another unnecessary love triangle...

->CHEMISTRY
Yeah, they were very cute together and lovely, but I have to admit it was kind of awkward.

->OST
Neh...it is energetic and good to listen to, but nothing more.

-> [Rewatch Value: Low just because I'm not the person who rewatches dramas, just really the ones I love]

arohacha
Aug 11, 2018
Interesting story plot, not your typical mushy romance show! The plot has a deep meaning behind it instead of just a plain romance television drama, As someone who has read the webtoon in 1 DAY, I am absolutely pleased with the production and the filming of this series. Not to mention, the visuals of the actors are really amazing. The plot in summary : A homely girl transforms through plastic surgery and debuts her new look at college/university. Unfortunately, she's called a Gangnam Beauty (pretty only because of cosmetic surgery), has to deal with sexual harassment, subtle bullying, and a sly rival fake-friend. The main hero intervenes in her situations, but things get complicated, because the campus beauty has her eye on the hero (who has a mysterious side).

J100

Stroy
It's a huge topic, really painful issue, close to the heart, like you don't even understand just until you going through this kind of thing, shaming in school and women status in the society, two strong ideas

the contrast of the ideas are so strong you can't excape unless you are teen and you dream to find your first love , or maybe you fall in love with handsome boy in your class...so you like it a lot, it's a fairytale, but if you older you understand the meaning behinde this contrasts

The opening was promising (but than in the middle of episode 1 i realise it's another mediocre Kdrama)

1. The girl trying to kill herself and after that went changing her all face , not just one thing but overall!!! this is the opening
To go through this kind of moves- it's something huge and painful, it's like you take what mother earth/ god or parents give you and erase it forever, you don't like anything in your face and your life you don't treasure even a piece of it and think only what the society think of you ,

So if You are a ugly woman- people judge you and throw you out of the society

after she come to change her life she meet a handsome guy, he rescue her from all kinds of situations, yes! she can also do it alone but he appears every time and comfort her, he is there all the time until their romance become the main story

She even end up choosing him just because he look good, he can't provide anything like strong communication or deep dialogue
What exactly they have together ? what keeps them together? we don't even know realy

2. Soo ha - the woman that become mentaly ill from the idea of beauty

That was some of a great role she had, she play it amazingly . yet they didn't gave her even the privilege to reveal all her emotions through her past.
in the webtoon it's very strong.with flashbacks , her past story with the bad grandmother, her lousy mother that abandoned her, her father, she didn't even get this benefit even if they had enough time to show it...they choose to focuse on the bitch part and the romance= men

3. Another woman - Na Hye Seong the mother- her husbend use violent against her make her lose her ability to smell , lose her future as a woman and also lose her custedy of her kids , they choose not to get in the deep of it and in some way to defend the father. it's subtle you can't see it at first just if you read the webtoon you understand

She lose her all , he wants her to be pretty and shut up, the webtoon made her story very very powerful but here....no no no, we just have some parts

4. The fat woman - nobody want her because she is fat

In Sk you fat you end up as a joke, fat woman maybe worse? i don't know
but she end up just taking about Soo ha, why exactly? why they focus on Soo ha and not the man that betray her ....don't u find it funny as well?

There are more women..but i skip it

Acting and cast

all of the actors are looking good, even the "fat" actress look attractive, it's draw all the attention of the beauty and the status of women in the society to the power of a romance equal "men" , but more than that you didn't get anyone looking bad...how funny is that

Skills: Overall half of the cast was good actors, the others not so much

i loved Jo woo Ri and Im soo H they amazing actresses in this drama, for me they was the best
and the only scenes i can watch was with 2 of them,
The men...ho well, the lead actor is very very bad, is worse than bad, he just stand there like a tree and gaze at nothing...very strange,

Park Joo Mi..she is very strange actress,look more slay to me, fake, also what they made her to be very strange unlike the webtoon, her background story also related to women status - they menage to cover up her story so much you can't even relate to her.
Her actions in the drama was contrast in the best.too much. from women that dissapeared for so long to a loving caring mom...they could have develope her background story but they cover up the violence and the battle of custody, they could have make her story also on the spot. but it bacame trashy

To tell the truth i feel sory behalf the actresses that play in this drama, i feel sory for them to go through this like they in some of a cage or prison, maybe they want to reveal their personal toughts but just have to play this dumb role again and again, but here it's more hurtful because they need to face this issue strongly intensively
especialy Im soo H

Music
The same old mediocre ost, nothing moving or make you feel something. just for the sake of Cha Eun Woo to earn more money.and trying to be SUNG SI KUNG will not even near

instead of taking some underground band or anonymous singers that sing from their heart
or maybe even old old korean songs

Overall
This is a cruel issue that women suffer a lot, even men suffer this days, but women suffer twice, to make this happy ending and all this romance out of it as escape of this issue it's ugly, it's even slump, and the only reason behind this is purely of the sake of money, it's a huge industry of plastic surgeries control the finance of sk, i feel so sad people will not understand how much it influence this drama,it's like they don't even care of people..there' no morality left.
because it was such advertising drama and the last episodes are the worse.

This drama should have been darker, less sweet, more rough feeling, dark like even with sad ending.

i don't think it would happened in real life , all those sweet taking with this bad actor called CEW, i write enough of him. i think most of the audience are his fans and teens so they love this kind of dramas, the editing is with high quality producers but the overall plot was so hard to watch i just force my self to watch this .. the plot had a lot of potential it could be one master piece but they just though about money and teens...i feel it's sad because it's such a good topic and important one,

Rewatch Value

CashewNut
Sep 16, 2018
So ., I just wanted to let you guys know that this drama is so heartwarming amd will definitely meet up to your expectations. ..
The acting is amazing and story too !
Could have been better if the have added some more scenes
Bcoz I am obessed with this one ....
Actually want a season 2 , and also before watching I haven't read the webtoon , but it is making me want to read the webtoon ... To those who are thinking of starting it , should hurry. ..
And get ready to fall in love with Cha Eun Woo
This is what I thought before watching this drama but now after completing it , I will say that I ended up falling for Im Soo Young ...
All the cast members are so adorable
And waiting for you guys !!!

manicmuse
Sep 17, 2018
This drama is the perfect example why you can't always judge a book by it's cover, or drama by its press pics. Knowing nothing about the webtoon it's based on, I just assumed this would be another cute makeover romance with a love triangle, based in a school. I'll admit that I don't really like school dramas because they can sometimes be a bit too silly and superficial for me, but I decided to give this one a chance. From the very beginning, the story went much deeper than expected in examing the idea of beauty standards, the pressure to be attractive and accepted, and how image and reality can contradict. Sometimes the plot got a bit too preachy when making a point, but I immediately wanted to learn more about Mi Rae and her transformation.

Im Soo Hyang plays Kang Mi Rae, a girl who's "Gangnam Beauty" looks contradict with her shy and insecure personality. I thought she did a good job making Mi Rae sympathetic, and a character I wanted to root for. Sometimes I think she played up the shyness a little too much, and at times her wide-eyed stares felt less sincere and were more annoying. She is matched with Cha Eun Woo as Do Kyung Suk, who plays the emo-est emo rich kid that ever did emo in the history of "Emodom". I thought he played his anti-social hottie role quite well, but he had some wide-eyed extra robotic moments that bordered between cute and laughably bad. Their relationship was pretty sweet, but anyone expecting romance should lower that expectation. Their chemistry is much more awkward than anything. Still cute, but very VERY awkward. Maybe the age gap had a little to do with how tentative they seemed around each other at times, but they still looked pretty good together.

The rest of the cast was good, even if some of them were typical for this kind of drama. I really loved Mi Rae's parents, and liked Do Kyung Suk's family drama. I liked the students, although some were definitely more memorable than others.

Oddly my favorite performance in this drama was Jo Woo Ri as Soo Ah. She definitely helped to keep the show interesting, even though her actions would feel a little repetitive at times. I thought she had the best role and performance.

I know my perspective is different, as an outsider to Korea, but the themes were generally universal and often relatable. I will say their ideas of who was supposed to be attractive vs who wasn't were very odd to me, but the way Mi Rae broke everyone's' looks down was a nice touch. I doubt I will ever really understand the pressure to be attractive in Korea, or how normalized plastic surgery seems to be there, but I think we all can relate to wanting to fit in, and struggling to become comfortable in your own skin when society implies you aren't good enough.

Meanwhile, I am also a person who was distracted by Im Soo Hyang's plastic appearance, but that's probably because the show brings so much attention to her looks, when I would normally just overlook it. At the same time, I loved the way they handled how she used to look, and thought that was a smart choice by the director.

Overall this is a drama that actually tries to say something important, which I appreciate, even if sometimes it was as subtle as a hammer to the brain. It may not get high marks for romance, but they do make a cute unlikely duo, and as a coming of age story I was definitely entertained. This drama also touches on topics like bullying, harassment, sexism, abandonment, image pressure, suicide, domestic violence, eating disorders... without making the episodes depressing. Just consider this a feel-good drama about becoming confident in who you are, and not letting the past dictate your future. I may not have loved it as much as others, but I certainly loved the point it makes.

Oh, and the use of PSY's "New Face" was a cheesy but nice touch!

kangminjae
Aug 15, 2018

Precious Fluff with a Healthy Side of Substance

I originally wrote this review halfway through the drama, and I'm happy to confirm it did not disappoint me at all afterwards. So many kdramas become consumed by the male lead in the back half, or otherwise forgot to follow through on the female lead's story. But this wasn't the case at all here, because Gangnam Beauty was committed to Mi Rae's growth. The times that it strayed from her, it tended to follow the stories of the other women in the drama, most significantly antagonist Soo Ah's own perspective on beauty and self-esteem, but also Kyung Seok's mom and her attempts to reconnect with her children.

This drama hit all the right notes for me. I was really reluctant to watch it because often stories about makeovers or plastic surgery have very negative messages which suggest either that your life will be better when you are "prettier," or else they emphasize the fat shaming and fall into the very tropes they're trying to fight against. But Gangnam Beauty did an excellent job of questioning beauty standards and showcasing the hypocrisy of a society that only values women for their appearance. I think it's only real flaw in my book is that it had what appeared to be PPL for a diet pill in one episode, but the pill was used by Soo Ah and the protagonist Mi Rae later called her out for all the methods women use to be the "most beautiful" when all they end up doing is hurting themselves. So while I would rather they never have shown it, I'm glad they turned it around after.

Anway, onto the cast: I think Im Soo Hyang and Cha Eun Woo did very well as Mi Rae and Kyung Seok. Even if the latter is a little green as an actor, he believably conveyed the subtle shifts in Kyung Seok's "coldness" and watching him warm up and become open as the drama went on was a treat. But of course, it's Soo Hyang who carried the weight of the drama on her shoulders, and she made Mi Rae's paralyzing fears very relatable while still allowing her inner strength to shine through. The side characters were all well-cast in my book, and their personalities were realistic and charming or even more realistic and infuriating as needed. I loved that the show never became solely about the romance - although the soft and slow progression of said romance was perfect for both characters - but really incorporated university life and friendships throughout.

I read the webtoon because of this drama, so I'm biased in the show's favor, but I think it conveyed the message from the comic appropriately. Adding Hyun Jung as a best friend for Mi Rae was an excellent choice in my book because it helped us understand how Mi Rae made it this far and showed that you can have a support system and still feel alone on a larger scale. Plus it set Soo Ah apart as a woman who lives for competition (even though that's something that society is partially to blame for as well) in comparison to several other girls in the show who were genuine in their intentions even if they sometimes fall short. I also like how it called out certain kdrama tropes, allowing our gallant male lead to learn more about how to respect the female lead even though he already started off leagues ahead of most men.

rinny90
Sep 15, 2018
I didn't have high expectations for this story and to be honest I don't think many people had. But this drama completely opened my eyes to different things. The main idea of the story is to tell the beauty comes from within and even though your appearance changes you're not changing who you are and for that Im Soo Hyang was perfect for the role. Her portrayal of Kang Mirae, a timid girl with low self esteem despite getting plastic surgery to be prettier told something important from the start. Though Korea as a country is very obsessed with good looks and beautiful women, the characters in the drama were completely normal and looking like your average classmates in school. And Kang Mirae being timid and insecure shined new light to people’s expectation and stereotype on what pretty women are like. Some people go through a hard time because of their looks and even though she didn't have a choice in order to live a normal life it reflected all the way in the drama. Not until Do Kyung Seok, played by Cha Eun Woo from Astro changed her view on life and on people. Their relationship progress was cute and awkward, but as they both were always single before meeting each other the whole progress of life, love, relationships, friends and family was joined really well in the drama. I was reading the webtoon at the same time and noticed immediate differences, but the flow in the drama was much better as things made sense and was put out in a more realistic way. Overall this drama is really good to open eyes on how you start to look at people. Your view of what beauty is differs from another people and that there is someone for you out there that would accept you as you are. A wonderful drama with a warm story with a little bit of thrills on the side was a nice bonus so it wasn't all the same and for so plain.

Alexandra
Sep 17, 2018
I'm gonna be totally honest. Since the beginning i had a lot of mixed emotions with this drama. I disliked a lot of things but at the same time it was truly addicting and i had to keep watching.
I liked how it talked about taboo topics that kdrama land doesn't show often. For example,suicide,lookism and sexism,plastic surgery...etc.
I also enjoyed the feminist side that the writers added,the tshirts that the female lead wore were amazing but sometimes her personality was totally different from what they were portraying. Thank god her character slowly developed and learned not to judge someone solely on their looks because they are much more than an item to be displayed. And also learned how to stand up for herself. It was absolutely annoying when she didn't.
The acting was okay,it could've been better tho,everyone including the main leads were pretty mediocre.
Also one of the other things i disliked is that they were trying to send the message of "everyone is beautiful in their own way" but at the same time they were promoting weight loss products and saying things like "She's on a diet. She's trying to get a boyfriend" or "Let's go on a diet and get prettier together",i mean...

But overall,it was a refreshing and enjoyable story that made me squeal from time to time.