Girl from Nowhere the Series (2018) poster

n o x p l u m
Dec 5, 2018
This show isn't about bullying or gossip or our main character, Nanno. I didn't watch the trailer and expected a Mean Girls sort of drama lol. The Girl from Nowhere is about social situations in schools that bring out the worst in people and lead to deep tragedy. We watch the episodic stories through the eyes of our new student "Jane Doe" aka Nanno. After each episode, you're left with characters reaping the consequences of their inner-demons getting the best of them & Nanno always conveniently getting caught in the middle. I personally LOVED this show; it wasn't afraid to go to some dark unforgivable places, plot had me hooked and the music was great. However, I could see the stories being somewhat predictable & making it easy to see who would be trashed by Nanno next. This show takes the role of "bullied girl fights back with a vengeance" to a deliciously new level. The Girl from Nowhere is badass and the fact that it knows it is the best part xx

celestialocean
Dec 21, 2018
I don't completely know how to feel about this show. I did find it compelling; I breezed through the episodes because Nanno is a fascinating character. Chicha Amatayakul did a great job of portraying Nanno's emotional extremes; she transitions smoothly from Nanno's cute, happy-go-lucky, fragile, and innocent facade to her true dangerous and sinister self. I didn't care much for that maniacal laugh of hers (sometimes less is more), but I feel like that was more of an intentional choice that didn't work for me rather than bad acting on her part. The music was beautiful, but also appropriately unsettling, so it was effective in enhancing the emotional quality of the scenes and the tragic nature of the story.

It is never really spelled out who, or even what, Nanno is. Each episode begins with her transferring to a new school to terrorize a new set of students. The first two episodes seemed to imply that she focuses on punishing people guilty of a specific type of crime, but the crimes her victims commit actually vary quite a bit. Therefore, she doesn't appear to have a particular motive, and there's no implied catalyst for her behavior. It seems that she simply has a good eye for other characters' weaknesses and she chooses targets based on who is most likely to give into their dark impulses. Why? There probably is no particular reason, other than finding it fun.

Nanno is quite happy to tempt and lead her targets onto this path of destruction, however in many cases, she asks them more than once if they are sure that that is what they want to do - apparently giving them a chance to reconsider and back out. When they continue to act against their conscience, the rest of the episode is the subsequent unraveling of their lives as they reap what they sow.

Given this pattern of leading her prey into temptation in order to enjoy witnessing their downfall and despair, along with her obvious supernatural nature, the figure she ultimately is most reminiscent (to me) is Christianity's Satan. (Note: I'm not saying that this is what she is or that this was the actual inspiration for her character.) Often, Nanno also serves as a scapegoat, becoming a horrific visual representation of the violence and hatred of the other characters. Even when she is attacked and brutalized, Nanno laughs because she has already won by manipulating them into committing such atrocities.

Horror, and especially psychological horror, are genres I generally avoid. The trailer of this show looked intriguing, so against my better judgment, I decided to give it a try. There were a couple of episodes I was sure would push my buttons, but that never actually happened. I'm relieved that's the case, and I found that this was a tolerable level of creepy for me. However, if you're interested because you're a big fan of horror, you might be disappointed. When it does cross into gory territory, it looks pretty unrealistic. A few episodes have little to no obvious supernatural elements (such as "Ugly Truth"), while others heavily depend on it ("Wonderwall," "BFF").

"Girl From Nowhere" is somewhat reminiscent of "Black Mirror," which is a comparison I've also seen a few other people make. This show has the same relentlessly pessimistic view of humanity as being inherently corrupt and ugly - except rather than focusing on the ugly future we might create for ourselves with technology, "Girl From Nowhere" focuses on the horrors ordinary people are capable of now, with just a little push in the wrong direction.

DevilsAdvocate
Nov 23, 2018
When I first saw the trailer and clicked Play on the show, I came in expecting a psychological, intense school drama that would open up eyes to the dark side of Thailand school culture. That was kind of what "The Girl From Nowhere" was, though most of it is overshadowed by the black comedy and satirical elements that fill up the show.

I think what I ultimately like least about this series is just how much the show tries to trick you into believing that it would follow up the tone set in the trailer. The premiere is the absolute high-point of the show and lives up to the psychologically-intense, grounded tone set by the trailer, and most importantly felt real, like it would be possible to see in real life, and is ultimately why I committed to the end. But as each episode progresses, the story gets progressively more comedic, satirical, and most unfortunately unrealistic, which is a shame, because it detracts from the premise of the show: how can you criticize the culture / environment during the show if you give such unrealistic portrayals and scenarios into the show?

The protagonist similarly devolves from a scheming introvert with a mysteriously dark past to just a plot device the show uses to satisfy whatever narrative / storyline the show wants to take the episode.

I think the biggest problem with this show for me is that I come away at the end of each episode thinking, "What were they trying to say?" And usually, it's hard to think of much. This show is Black Mirror with less intrigue/suspense/mystery, as The Girl From Nowhere does not say anything of much importance. You are told the message/lesson of the episode five minutes in, and the rest of the episode is a waiting game to see how the storyline predictably unfolds with nothing that goes deeper than the stuff the episode premise teases.

In short, a strong start and intriguing show premise is ultimately washed away by the show's later focus on black comedy over realism, trading in depth and story for style but shallowness.

Gina911
Dec 5, 2018
I just finished watching Girl from Nowhere. I really liked the series. Nanno is a trip. She is funny and creepy at the same time.

While I understand the concept of the series, I found it to be extreme at times. The crimes that most of these people committed did not always fit the punishment that they received. Most of these things are what teenagers go through. I found that although these kids had these thoughts and tendencies, if it was not for the encouragement from Nanno, most of them would not go to the extreme that they ended up with.

Some episodes I was sure they would be punished just to see nothing really bad happened. The series was a bit disturbing because most of all the episodes showed a really dark side to the kids and adults that mostly ended up with murder or extreme physical violence. It made me wonder what kind of message is this trying to portray. Is this supposed to be a depiction of what happens in these schools. If so, I would be scared to send my kids.

Nanno was a bit creepy because she had this crazy hysteria type laugh and it would come out for no reason.

I loved the intro music.

I would not re-watch only because I generally do not like to re-watch things. I hope there will be a season 2.

I would like more of a back story about Nanno. Who is she and where did she come from. Is she human or what because some of the things that happened would prove otherwise.

gunther
Jan 23, 2019
Through 3 episodes and love Nanno...interesting concept..I am from USA and engrossed in all Asian shows....saw lots of cutesy dramas so this is definitely a departure.
The lead is awesome, it seems that you would want to hate her, but i love her. The first episode set the tone, in which not only did the guy who deserve what he got get his, but the daughter who was innocent paid the ultimate price (i mean innocent of the father's misdeeds). I was surprised about her biting it at the end, however it seems that no one is safe if they are connected to the naughty person that is the wrath of Nanno's fury. Although i found the first couple of episodes fairly predictable as they moved along, i still enjoyed them.
Nanno reminded me so much of little boy Damien from the 'Omen'. for those that dont know, this is an American film, the first of a trilogy, of Satan living as a child in part 1, teen boy in part 2 and adult in part 3, paving the way to ruling the world. In part one as a child, in the final scene, Damien looks back at the camera and has a devilish smile- i immediately thought of this when watching Nanno calmly and carefully setting up her prey. Even if you think she is doing good deeds in giving these creeps what they deserve, i am in the camp that she is the devil, entertainingly exposing every weakness in us humans, and dishing out the consequences. So Nanno is the devil- judge jury and executioner. Definitely can see the parallel to the Twilight Zone.
cant wait to see the remaining episodes.

leticia
Dec 23, 2018
Comecei esse drama na curiosidade, para falar a verdade. Não imaginei que seria tão realista e cheio de críticas até ver o primeiro episódio, e adorar completamente a Nanno. Em certos episódios ela pode ter sido um pouco "além da conta", mas não deixa de ser algo a se pensar. As coisas que acontecem nas escolas e as pessoas não ligam até atingi-las, o quão longe podem ir para proteger a própria pele, e também desmitificar a ideia de que existem pessoas fracas/boazinhas. Como ficou explícito, o poder na mão das pessoas as revela. É um drama que mostra a verdade nua e crua sobre a mente humana, e me fez questionar até a mim mesma.
Com o passar dos episódios, aprende-se a gostar da Nanno, mesmo que as atitudes dela nem sempre sejam as melhores.