The Light in Your Eyes (2019) poster

fatema
Mar 20, 2019
Watching this drama is like collecting puzzle pieces on your path that comes together in the last episode. The end will give meaning to everything and make you think about your life.

The writers cleverly hid the real plot and tricked the viewers into believing it is a romantic comedy. They held our hands and pulled us toward a fantasy world that was funny and sad at times. All to ease us into the real story that is fascinating, deep, and heartwarming.

Main Themes:
- Bond between parents and their children, friends, lovers, and family members.
- Living through the hardships and enjoying each moment you have, instead of worrying about the future or regretting the past.

I am so impressed with the morals this drama carries and the amazing performance of all the actors. I am also happy that my curiosity made me complete the episodes, because I would have missed a valuable gem.

misu
Mar 19, 2019
wow! I started this drama off expecting some light fantasy rom com cheesy drama but oh boy was I in for a surprise, comedy peaked at certain points, mainly from interactions with Hye Ja and Young Soo, but the melodrama really was a big aspect throughout the drama especially the last few episodes, a few times I got jumbled throughout the drama there were a few too many things going on that I couldn’t exactly figure it out or understand it. But there were tiny hints hidden throughout the episodes to help to understand the overall drama.
The acting was great, they really managed to convey the emotions and lay it on thick and raw, really outstanding, especially from support characters
Overall this drama was a real game changer with its sudden plot twist, it always seemed to keep me on my toes throughout the drama, it was enjoyable and really made me think how important time is and how you should spend it and the overall importance.

acwhetsell
Mar 20, 2019
I have seen a good few dramas with Nam Joo Hyuk as the main lead and while he has quickly become one of my favorites, I was not expecting this kind of maturity and over all amazing performance. I wish I had more adjectives to describe my surprise at his development as an actor but at the moment I can't find any. Just know, dear reader, that this performance deserves an award. Like, I mean an academy award. I may be a little in love with him at the moment. If you are interested, please read my blog where I wrote a review on this series at: https://www.dramaaddictscorner.com/blog/dazzling.

yaykisspurrkfan
May 8, 2019
Nam Joo-hyuk is a favorite actor of mine (one of many hahaha) whose career I have been avidly watching. When I saw he decided to star in this very serious melodrama I was intrigued. Netzins have accused him of poor acting which I disagree with. Koreans are also very fascinated with twisty time travel which Radiant explores!

I'm not really a fan of actress Han Ji-min so I was quite worried to watch Radiant. I needn't have because we spend a lot more time on screen with her elderly counterpart Kim Hye-ja who is a wonderful elderly actress (not to be confused with their character with the same name!) Yes, there is a bit of a supernatural twist involved. Of course, Hye-ja's family and friends are greatly effected by this change in her. And we explore this effect alongside her estranged relationship with Lee Joon-ha who she is forced to emotionally abandon even though they fall in love.

Radiant is a very odd story. We assume from the first couple episodes that it will be a supernatural romantic comedy... and it surely has all of those elements, but it is more of a melodrama than anything. The twists start coming hot and heavy in the last handful of episodes and it totally changes how you view that beginning. Yes, there is a roller coaster of emotions that we go through with Hye-ja and Joon-ha, and the end is rather poignant rather than strictly happy, but the journey makes Radiant worth the watch.

Kim Hye-ja and Lee Joon-ha sell me. I was totally on board with this couple. They connected on a visceral level in those first episodes that I really related to and wanted to see play out to the end. Alas a family tragedy totally derails their love affair and we watch Radiant with bated breathe wondering at the promise in that beginning. It's quite heart breaking and Hye-ja works hard to stay close to Joon-ha even as his life spirals out of control. All is not as it seems.

I thought it was quite fascinating how her family and friends play into Hye-ja's story with Joon-ha. Even though we don't learn much until the end, I was fascinated by Hye-ja's parents relationship. There was history there we don't learn about but can feel the effect of. And Hye-ja's own relationship with her father was quite pregnant with emotion boiling under the surface. It was the later episodes though that put all of these moments in perspective. Like I said all is not as it seems but the reality is just as authentic once we know the truth.

Radiant is a true melodrama that wrings your heart out! Romance lovers and non-romance lovers will enjoy this as its authenticity to real life touches your heart despite the supernatural elements that allow us to explore Hye-ja's life. The twists and turns make the journey worth the watch as the truths inherit in Radiant give you a vehicle to ponder your own life.

Lore
Jun 20, 2019

This drama wrecked me

In a good way. A really beautiful story that takes you on a journey and hits you with truth and a little pain when you least expect it. Definitely one of my ten, need to update that list...

The acting is superb, which is no surprise and I loved seeing a drama featuring an older woman as the star that wasn’t written solely about or for an older audience. This show will open up your mind and help you see the world and others in it in a new way, a more honest and complete way. Helps us remember there’s good and bad about every stage in life, and never dismiss others based on age, young or old.

glitterinthedark
Apr 6, 2019
I expected the usual romantic comedy drama, but this took me for a long ride. It made me feel like I was a part of the show, living through the moments with the characters. This is something that hasn't happened in a very long time. I cannot express how good this drama is. It shows how the elderly feel and makes me appreciate my family even more. I just finished watching it but I just feel so overwhelmed that I cannot come up with words to describe it because I don't feel like the words do it justice.
Dramaaddicts
Mar 22, 2019
My entire prediction about the story was completely changed in the last 2 finale episodes.. From The Beginning to end the mood of this drama was too melo dramatic sometimes you feel few laggy scenes especially in the first 5 episodes. But that wonderful plot twist was brilliant and somehow it may be an unpredictable one. That was a real turning point of this drama because everyone will feel, the concept of the time travel part was bit of illogical. The emotional scenes in the finale episode was just magical and heart touching.

The story is about a middle class young girl named kim hye ja. When she was a child She got a watch from the sea side with an supernatural ability to travel back through time. She used that watch helself many times in her life for her own purposes, but some unpredictable and mysterious events happened in her life and the things are changed over a night.

Initially the whole story where entirely predictable and there where nothing new but after that plot twist it will surely surprise you . The acting of the lead characters was superb especially in the finale episode emotional moments. I think this is a worth watching emotional drama and you should give just a try..

karan_muvvala
Mar 29, 2019
This is my first time writing a review for a kdrama! I personally started watching this drama as I am big fan of Han Ji min not for her looks but for her acting. As the story , as it progressed it was filled with joy and then slowly transcended to a sorrow and sad story! The meaning behind this drama is ethically beautiful. The plot is heart wrenching and heartwarming all at the same time but it simply touches the soul.

The last few episodes deliver the crucial blow - that's when this rom-com drama turns into a slice of life drama! It tries to deliver an important message - live every moment, enjoy every seconds of life no matter how mundane it may seem as the most precious thing to you as you would age would be the memories you preserve. This is exactly the message being conveyed by the main female lead hya ja as she tries of imagine a better life which is in stark contrast to the reality she is living in. Even though she suffers from Alzheimer's, she would never let go of her precious moments with her husband.

The very ending delivers the most crucial message! It might have been the moment of death for Hye Ja but seeing them "reunite" on the beach with the sun setting while hugging was away of interpreting they both lived a tough life but in the end they found their way back to each other and everything turned out okay. The quote is what really set the tone at the end, it was said and written beautifully.

A beautiful story with excellent cast and direction is what makes this drama unique and inspiring.

ArvisJaggamar
Sep 9, 2019
I've come out of review semi-retirement just to write this, such is the intensity of my feelings toward this show. I could waste your time (like this drama wasted mine) going on and on about how worthless, hateful, and often dull this show is, but I'll instead attempt to be brief:

Please do not watch this drama.

Watching "The Light in Your Eyes" is like settling down in front of a campfire, ready for the storyteller to begin his story, but instead, he starts spitting in your face and laughing at you while shouting "That's life, SUCKER!!" That's not storytelling, that's assault. And that's what you're basically signing up for by watching this drama.

You'll spend hours and hours watching characters be miserable, slowly start to grow and learn lessons, only for the writers to throw in a twist at the 11th hour that renders meaningless every single episode that came before. This drama takes great pains to establish rules, characters, and moments for you to become invested in, and then completely throws all of them away, amounting to nothing but wasted hours of your life. The sudden shift in the drama's direction is so jarring that I wouldn't be surprised if the writing team was completely changed halfway through. A perfect example of what I'm talking about: they literally change the main character of the show in the last episode. The first male lead actually disappears; no resolution, no ending, no future. He finishes the show as an unimportant side character who we barely know. Important plot elements set up at the beginning are, by the end, either 1) completely ignored and given no resolution/explanation, or 2) handwaved away with the laziest and most trite writing cliches in existence. It's so bad that I can't read the MDL synopsis of this show without feeling like it's nothing but a collection of lies.

I'm baffled that anything this inexcusably poor, this aggressively disrespectful to its audience, could ever make it to the airwaves. What's worse is that there are aspects of the production that are high quality. 77-year-old actress Kim Hye Ja is amazing, bringing energy and believability to her role, despite her age and the demands of a full drama shooting schedule. Kim Ga Eun portrayed a character who was rather like an island in the storm for me in this terrible drama, as almost every scene with her was great, even though most of them were completely pointless, just like every other scene in this show. Episodes 10 and 12 were fairly well done, and Ahn Nae Sang absolutely hit it out of the park in 12.
Other than those things, positive aspects to this show are very few and far between.

So again, I beg you: please, please do not watch this drama. Show yourself a little love, put it on "Not Interested", and never think about it again.

Apple Pine
Mar 20, 2019
The Plot itself is very good and well thought off. The Acting was really good it had successfully conveyed the feelings and the message that is being shown. Watching this drama at the start gave me a fluffy feeling. The comedy and drama at the start is a very good balance. It made me laugh while seeing the main's chemistry.

As the drama transitions into something that touches your heart ,even you still don't know the truth.
The fact that it fooled many viewers about the plot and gave us a shocker!
One of the best Kdrama I have watched Plot wise.
Frankoooy
Jun 15, 2019
You’d actually think it’s your typical light hearted rom com with a slight dark background, but it ends up driving you to an unexpected destination, leaving you feeling blessed and grateful about life...

First, the writers were brilliant. This story was well thought of and planned, you can conclude that every story in the series was carefully considered. They successfully conveyed the hardships of time passing by, people leaving, and our tendency to take each other for granted. Wow.

Second, the actors were too brilliant. I never really appreciated the “background” characters... but here, they turn out becoming the main stories in the end. It’s such a joy to reach the end and see everything make sense. (again, writing was... wow)

Third, it’s my first time seeing a drama dedicated to our beloved grandmas and grandpas. I’ve always had a soft spot for old people, and this one just spoke to that side of me too well.

Fourth, just the fact that you thought it was about this story but it ended up becoming about another, all along... it literally made me gasp, confused for a split second, then gasp again at the realization of how beautiful this series was to actually focus on family and life. It’s really not just a love story.

I’m really in awe.

Nicole
Jul 29, 2019
I started watching this drama because the time travel plot caught my eye. I went into this drama expecting a light-hearted romance with some comedy thrown in. What I didn't expect was a heart-wrenching mystery. This is one of those dramas that you start watching not expecting too much but you end up watching possibly one of the best dramas of the season.

The plot is what attracted me to this drama. I love a good time travel story. I actually rarely read reviews before watching a drama unless the rating is mediocre because I am afraid I will accidentally come across some spoilers. So, I went into this drama without knowing much aside from the plot summary. I'm glad I didn't read anything on it beforehand as it would have ruined the story for me. Just know that this is the kind of story that will make your heart hurt and wonder what you would change if you could time travel. This drama is now one of my favourites and I would recommend it to everyone. If you love watching dramas where you will root for the characters and bawl your eyes out, then this is the drama for you.

One of the key plot points of The Light in Your Eyes is the stigma against elderly people and the loss of youth. This can be seen when Kim Hye Ja wakes up as an old woman and doesn't know how to change back. You are able to empathise with her and her family as they struggle with living with a daughter who could pass for her own grandmother. In this drama, you can also see the struggle that both Kim Hye Ja and the other elderly people have with the loss of their youth. I don't really want to give much away but this drama gives the audience an insight into how older people live their lives and the things that they have to give up. It is a very jarring realisation and helps you to appreciate the older people in your own life.

Aside from the plot, the other thing that made me initially watch this drama was Nam Joo Hyuk (Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo, The Bride of Habaek). I have seen some of his other dramas and I love watching a drama where I recognise at least one of the actors. I believe that The Light In Your Eyes was perfectly cast. Nam Joo Hyuk did an excellent job of portraying someone who is just coasting by in life and not actually enjoying it. Han Ji Min (Rooftop Prince; Hyde, Jekyll, Me) and Kim Hye Ja (Dear My Friends) both did a great job of portraying the light-hearted and sorrowful aspects of Kim Hye Ja's personality. For once, I don't think there was any character that I didn't like. Although some characters did not have the most loving personalities, it was easy to understand their pain and why they were that way.

The music is very mellow and calming. It suits the whole different era aspect of this drama. The music alongside the actors' performances, helps with the emotional aspect of this drama. As you progress through the episodes, you will actually find yourself tearing up when a specific song is played.

I would rewatch this drama again but since has a puzzle-like theme, I would wait a bit until watching it again. Aside from that, I would highly recommend watching The Light in Your Eyes.