Until We Meet Again (2019) poster

wellwellbelle
This show drives me crazy because there are moments of cuteness, sweetness, and fun scattered throughout one of the most poorly paced stories I have ever watched.

The TL/DR is: There's a core of a good story and some fun characters here. Watch it if you love BL, if you love any of the actors or the novel, but if there was ever a show to make use of the fast speed or preview functions, it was this one.

Now for the full pacing rant:

It's mainly a directing issue. The director is in love with slow motion, to the point where sometimes I watch on double speed and the only way you can tell it's not normal speed is because of the music. There are long, long long long....
......
.....
pauses that don't make sense. There are scenes that have extended periods with no plot or character development, just people unpacking groceries or doing their regular stuff. Which *could* be used to great effect if we were getting insights into our characters or hints about the story, but no. They're just unpacking the porridge or walking into the room where the action is going to happen, or looking across the cafeteria before the action happens or whatever.

Other than the pacing, the biggest frustration is the character of Pharm. I'm not sure if it's partially an acting issue because I haven't seen him in other stuff, but it is definitely also a writing and directing issue.

Pharm starts out cute and sweet... he's shy but also a good friend, likes to cook, and is generous. He crushes on Dean and finds it confusing, and he has these scary dreams and memories.

So far, so good. Except as the show wears on, he's basically always either experiencing excruciating shyness or crying. He cries constantly, and the director is fond of slo-moing or holding those moments for horribly extended amounts of time without developing any actual feelings or plot.

By episode 15, the relationship with Dean has gone from cute and sweet to deeply uncomfortable, because Pharm never seems into it. Every time Dean touches him or flirts with him (moments that *ought* to be the lifeblood of the show), Pharm screetches and hits him and says "no!" or "p'Dean!!!!" It seems like we're supposed to be seeing him shy, but since we never see actual desire or much in the way of enjoyment, it at first is super confusing: like, does Pharm actually like Dean? Is he okay with Dean but confused about his sexuality? Does he like Dean but not want to be with Dean? Is he confused about the relationship between Dean and the guy in his dreams? None of these questions are answered because there's almost no dialog addressing them and the direction (or possibly acting) means we can't tell Pharm's feelings beyond "I'm scared!" "I'm sad!" "I'm uncomfortable!"

As the show goes on and the relationship becomes closer, the fact that none of these important questions about how Pharm feels makes it more and more uncomfortable when Pharm is pushing Dean away or asking him to stop. It feels like whatever his feelings are, he's clearly *not ready* for what Dean wants, and it's getting less and less fun to watch them.

There's a wealth of side characters who could be used to help round out the show and let the director rely less on agonizingly long shots where nothing happens and more on fun interactions. Pharm's friends Manow and Team are great; their interactions tend to be fun, the actors have a good chemistry. Manow's love line was hinted in an early episode but as of ep 15 hasn't been touched again. Team and Win have a tiny but sizzling secondary couple thing going on that could easily have been given a touch more time without having to have the relationship develop faster. The pace of their relationship is totally fine and wouldn't have been challenged by, say, an extra 4 minutes per episode taken out of all the non-development moments. Less time on Pharm and Dean might have pushed the writer and director to make more of their moments together as well (I think that Team/Win and Korn/In are both more interesting in part because they had less screen time and so more had to be done with their characters... although Korn/In's story does drag at points as well.)

ChinguMode
Jan 9, 2020
I hate to say it because the premise of this show is quite interesting and Fluke is an appealing and enjoyable actor to watch (and Boun is so unbelievably hot it's criminal) but the execution is just... boring. It's boring.

Pharm and Dean are MEANT TO BE so end up together despite the fact that Pharm does little but cook, cry and look incredibly conflicted for someone who's supposedly in love. Ohm is a plank of wood as Dean and Earth's acting, as usual, makes me want to punch him.

I mostly enjoy the show's tone of anti-climax in terms of its conflict. The reincarnation is the only point of conflict and, honestly, that is somewhat refreshing. But there comes a point at which the whole thing is just spinning its wheels. They could have spent that time establishing Pharm and Dean's relationship in the present but instead it's just shallow INSTA!love that quickly wears thin.

As usual, this comment comes with a disclaimer that I am not the audience shows like this are aimed at.

seabreezerae
Nov 25, 2019

A must see!

I watched the first episode, cried uncontrollably and swore I would not watch another "unhappy" bl drama. But...my curiosity got the best of me and here I am watching one of the best dramas I have seen in a long time! The acting is superb - In and Korn from the past. Dean and Pharm in the present. Their chemistry is off the charts. The sexual tension actually leaves me squirming in a good way. The story is unique with the relationships being handled in a loving and tender manner. I am in love with both couples. They are beautiful men who act with raw emotions. I eagerly look forward to each episode wanting to know what happens next; but, at the same time, I never want this drama to end. I want to fully know these characters. They are now a part of my life. I cannot say enough about this drama. Kudos to the actors, writers, and director for giving us superb entertainment to fill our lives. A special thank you to the subbers who are doing a wonderful job of translating. You are the best! Please watch this drama. I guarantee you will be hooked.

Amaniya Aneesha
This is the only series i cried alot and this is the only series which have most beautiful background music and most suitable actors and actresses. Finally this is the only series which can someone easily love with each other and most most most most most most romantic series ever. Love to watch season 2. And will watch new episode which release soon on january in 2020. This director is the best. ??thank you very much. and some words can understand and can talk now. ? best wishes and love regards from sri lanka ??
Exolvideos
Dec 15, 2019

Cute but slow

Episodes watched: 12 from the 18. (It's still airing.)

+ The story is about reincarnation and it is such a beautiful concept. You get to see a lot of the present couple but, slowly, you'll also learn more from the past couple. Every week, I'm longing for more backstory about the past couple. That (mostly) keeps me loving the story.

+ I love the side couples too. You don't see lots of it (until now), but they are building it up and I love it.

- When I saw the first episode, I was a bit shocked with the first scene. Like it was so emotional and it hits you in the core. I wouldn't recommend the first episode to people under the 12.

- The story started amazing but after ep 10 it got a bit draggy. It's a bit slow with some repetition in it. Though, it's story isn't bad... it's the couples that keep me watching.

Acting:
+ I'm surprised at how easily 'Pharm' can cry in this drama. Well acted. (Ps. He is gorgeous and adorable.)

+ I love watching 'Dean' on screen. Not only is he gorgeous but he acts really well. He portrays the emotions of 'Korn' (from the past couple) really well. The sadness, the loving look etc.

+ I adore the bickering side couple. As in the two swimming guys. They fit really well together and I hope to see more of them.

++ She doesn't get a lot of credits but the female friend is just so great. She is beautiful, sweet and a big supporter. She is definitely the friend everyone needs. And soon she'll get her own love story in the drama. Can't wait for it to happen!

+ The music sounds so damn sweet and dreamy.

Rewatch value:
I love this drama. It keeps me excited for every Saturday when it airs.

Conclusion:
If you love BL and mostly.. a very SWEET BL story, then I'd definitely recommend it. For me it's a 10/10. No annoying girlfriends. No annoying girls in general. Just lots of cuteness.

Warning:
The overall story might be a bit draggy or repetitive.

Dropped 7/17
Jessica
Dropped 0

Dull Plot and Lackluster Writing Prevented Me From Loving It :(

STORY:
I really, really wanted to like this drama because (1) I generally enjoy New's work and (2) I loved the theme of reincarnation and being reunited with one's soulmate after passage of time. Unfortunately, very early on I found that I was forcing myself to watch each episode, and it felt like a chore. Despite the interesting premise, the drama itself was rather dull, tedious, and boring (except for a few parts where it was excessively melodramatic). I hated the writing: scenes were repetitive, dialogue was largely trivial and shallow and often accompanied by long bouts of silence that did absolutely nothing to move the story forward, the pacing was bad (too slow), and the plot dragged on without accomplishing much. That said, I suppose you could characterize this as tending to be more character-driven (though that may just be a nice way of saying the plot is weak); I prefer plot-driven shows with deft character development, so whether you like this drama or not may depend in part on preference.

ACTING/CAST:
As typically happens in Thai BLs, there were hits and misses with the cast with the more seasoned actors performing more naturally and organically than the newer faces. No standouts to me, but none were absolutely terrible.

OVERALL:
I may slowly try to pick this up again, but as of right now, I made it about halfway through before deciding it was too dull and poorly written for me. If all you watch are Thai BLs, you may not have as much issue with this one as I did; but if you, as I, tend to also watch different types of dramas from different countries, such as China or especially Korea (which, in my opinion, generally fare better in terms of overall quality), then you may find this one lackluster.

Tuva
Dec 28, 2019
There's nothing I can do but giving it 10/10 in all categories.

The plot is unique, there's no "typical toxic bl" topics, the actors are really great, the chemistry between the actors is exceptional. I sometimes feel weird watching series that involes romance but this is so well done, as mentioned before the actors are amazing and so is their chemistry which makes it feels like it's not even acting at some points. The side characters are really enjoyable and it does not feel like a waste of time getting the scenes where only the side characters are on screen.

As for the unique story, first off, I don't think I've ever seen, not even heard of a moive/show that is about reincarnation. Second, the way everything is tied together is magnificent. A flashback might seem "pointless" but then there's that one line in the scene and it's like a puzzle, fits together perfectly with anything that's been going on in past episodes- or it's that one line you don't reflect over until later when something is said that connects back to what's been said.

It's a rollercoaster of emotions. I go from balling my eyes out to laughing and replaying muliple times each episode. The OST/music fits the series so well and it boosts the mood so much. I haven't come across a series with this powerful music in a long time. Basically it's the best series I've ever seen, no matter genre or year and it's definitly worth that week's wait. (Even though it feels so long and the episodes feels too short it's worth it, peroid.

Dropped 7/17
feifei
Dropped 1
Cute promising storyline with a very disappointing execution. It's pretty obvious that the producers are really trying to milk this project and make as many episodes as humanly possible. As a result the episodes are unjustifiably long with painful pauses during and between different scenes. It's really sad because I started out watching it very excited, then I started pressing the skip button every 3 seconds until I eventually dropped it.
The cast is quite likeable, but the characters not so much.. Fluke is a really really good actor but I personally can't stand Pharm..
Lastly, the ads. Most BL's have them but UWMA couldn't incorporate them well into the story and I cringe every time they come up..
In conclusion I think it's a very overhyped BL that I don't think I will be continuing since there are other ones airing at the same time that are a lot more worth watching imo than this one.

Sahuu
Dec 30, 2019
Until we meet again is the story moves around the lovers who has taken birth just to meet again . It also throws the light on conservative mind of the society .
Acting is just awesome. I can bet that you're not going to waste your time by watching this cause you're gonna love the story.
It also tells us the real meaning friendship cause manow and team are always ready to help "Pharm" and they force him to confess his love for "Dean"
Still It is suspense whether Dean's family accept their love or not ..

Nanashi

Honestly my favourite drama right now

OKAY SO. This is by far ine of my all time favourites. The acting and the chemistryis unbelievable, and the story is beautiful. Before starting this drama i had actually just begun a different one. Almost dropping it so i could watch this, id seen a fanmade trailer and instantly fell in love with it. I ended up waiting till I'd finnished the first one, and im so glad i did, I dont feel like i was prepared in the slightest for the litterally instant emotional roller-coaster. I got about 5 minutes into the first episode and i was sobbing. The side ship between Win and Team is honestlymy favourite thing they are so cute together i cant wait to see how they develop and what actually becomes of their relationship since currently it hasnt actually been said they are together, just heavily implied by some scenes. The series is only at episode 11, and i feel like so much has happened already, cant wait for even more, bring on the next 7!! Still have a full week till the next episode comes out ahhh

Daisytan
Jan 16, 2020
So this is my 1st review here but this show is worth it ,this is the most perfect BL epic love story I have watched, I cry I Lough and mostly cheering them up
If you are looking for a great ,amazing ,sweet , heartbreaking BL love story this one is for you
the only mistake I made is watching it while it's still running and now I have to wait for the last 2 episodes ,it is officially killing me ...
Both plot lines past and present are perfectly done the chemistry between the couples is amazing and I love both versions ,just so you know I have watched the 10 episodes so far twice and there is a good chance I will do it again it is that good ,I think I loved it the 2nd time more then the first
Plot line wise it start with the past where we see in and Korn commit suicide because there furthers disapproved their relationship and goes the present time where pharm and Dean meet and they straight away have a connection between them that is all I am going to say because I don't want to ruin it for anyone they both have a great bunch of friends around them which I love them all especially win and team but is hard choice they're all adorable.
The music set the mood perfectly I really the did a super job producing this series.
So all is left for me to say run to watch it you I am sure you will end up addicted to them too.

collen ozod
Jan 4, 2020
This drama series is amazing. Make you feel love is everything. Make we feel to sacrifice for my love. Amazing stories. This series is more than a love stories but teaching you how to loyalty with you love. I think korn shoot he self to protect his lovers. And he lovers shoot he self because of love. The most sad is they father dont do anything to stop them commited suicide. Love is not for only man and women but love is universal. You can love anyone as long as you love with other. Lesson for us.