A Little Thing Called First Love (2019) poster

Chinese Youth Dramas
85 titles 19 loves 3

suibian
Nov 8, 2019
This is a sweet, adorable, warm Chinese remake of Thai’s hit film, Crazy Little Thing Called Love. The story is same with the film itself, although with subtle changes and more depth. Despite the clicheness, the storyline itself will make you laugh hard, cry wholly, feel butterflies in your stomach, scream so high (which I did), and lastly, get nostalgic.

The SL and FML really got my attention when I saw the former episodes. They had this oozing chemistry, and I feel bad (not) for shipping them rather than the actual love teams. Although, the leads' chemistry is cute cute cute! There are times when I feel like that the FML is not innocent however insensitive, although her development is good. I liked their character development (especially to SL's).

The music is really giving the LSS vibes. It's kind of redundant in the drama, but I don't really care because it somehow suits the scene.

Give it a try, especially when you’re watching angst films/dramas. It might help soothe your heart~ :D

Hyukfied
This drama is somewhat relateable aside from the love lines.
First off, its a typical youth C-drama, female lead loves the popular, smart and handsome male lead.
The character development in this drama is great especially with the female lead, Xia Miao Miao. She was initially a timid and shy girl but grew into a brave, confident, and independent girl because of her friends and because of her beloved Liang You Nian.

Liang You Nian is the male lead of the drama. He's your typical c-drama male lead. He's sweet and nice to everyone except those who ticks him off or trying to get with his girl. You can totally see his glare when someone gets too close to Miao Miao. IT WAS ADORABLE! Back to the story at hand, You Nian is someone who sticks to what he wants to do and this trait of his helped Miao Miao switch her major to something that SHE herself really wanted to do from the beginning. That sparked the change in Miao Miao and how hard working she is in achieving her dreams.

The relationship between the two leads started later because Miao Miao had a crush on You Nian since high school and (spoiler alert) Liang You Nian did as well, however he didn't exactly confirm this until later in university. It was cute when they got together, they held hands, hugged, not much kissing but other than that its adorable seeing them together and working together, etc.

The drama also focused on other couples Lin Kai Tuo, You Nian's younger step brother (its funny because the actor playing Kai Tuo is way older than Kuan Lin(actor playing Liang You Nian). XD Kai Tuo was coupled with He Xin (Liang You Nian's cousin.) I call them the temper couple cause they both have anger issues/temper. hhahaha Another character is Wang Yi Chao and same-grade female character I forgot the name of albeit sh initially liked You Nian.

Furthermore, the drama focused on family issues such as Liang You Nian's family. His father married Kai Tuo's mother. For a while this caused a disruption in the friend between Kai Tuo and You Nian. One misses their birth mother, and the other misses their birth father. As said before, this drama mentioned individual choices -such as majors in universities- if your family wants you to take this major, but your hearts wants something else then follow it cause thats what Miao Miao ended up doing.

Lets just say, You Nian influenced a lot of Miao Miao's choices which eventually lead to an argument I thought was pointless. Anyways, You Nian also said Miao Miao inspired him as well in ways that she never knew she could because she thought he's "too high" for her. It just tells us that You Nian doesn't care if you're not the best looking person, its all about the personality and your actions and what you do with it.

The acting in this drama is not amazing. I just want to say Kuan Lin is not an actor even though he technically acted. He just didn't seem natural whatsoever. His expressions are stone cold aside from his smile - which is adorable but other than that his expressions in acting is terrible. Even the crying part was awkward - it had no feeling to me. The female lead who played XIa Miao Miao did an okay, passable job.

Overall, if you like youth dramas dealing with fashion design, architect, drawing, college life, family drama, friendship then this is for you. :)

Jennifer Le
So I got the recommendation on Netflix and i’ve been wanting to watch a new Chinese drama it looked interesting and I mostly watched cause of Guanlin cause I Stan wannaone and I wanted to see how he’s is doing at first I didn’t like that they see ugly as dark skin, frizzy hair, bad teeth, and glasses I guess it’s China but the story line made me bored I dozed off a couple of times cause the main characters talked in such a mono tone but I still continue to watch still very mono tone I like the first love thing but it’s just gets boring cause that’s the only storyline carrying the whole story the main characters have no emotion that moves me into the story it felt so dry even when they broke up the break up felt dry they could have picked better main characters I bet they only added Guanlin cause he was popular I don’t know about Miaomiao she was a boring character was she supposed to be a shy girl turned to a brave one cause the girl that acted her was trash I love Guanlin but his acting was trash to they have no connection no spark just robots talking to each other pretending to have emotions and also I hate when they make a dark skin character into a white character like did she magically got white like no sis I used to be dark skin and it took me 2 years to get pale and this girl just magically went from dark mode to light mode sis you ain’t fooling anybody and then her hair looks fake before and after do they think to make her pretty is to get a wig make her skin turn white straighten teeth and no glasses (sips tea) no and Guanlin’s acting makes not bored when they got in a fight boring when he confessed to her boring when he tried to win her back boring even riding his bike boring like that should not happen overall the main characters are boring mono tone period.
The only thing that made me actually want to watch this garbage is the two lead characters they’re not the best at acting but better than the main characters their love and connection felt more real and it made me actually continue watching robots their love story was actually really refreshing they bring some what emotion to the table and makes me like their little quarrels and the way they argue with each other kinda makes me jealous unlike the main characters robots, if the second lead character had their own drama I will literally watch it the main characters felt more like a second lead the second lead had a main characters to them the only reason I even liked this garbage is because of the two leads give them a drama together better love story better chemistry and they give me emotions unlike the emotionless mono tone robots that are the main character.

Darma Adike
This was the remake of the Thai movie which I loved back in the day. I have been looking forward to it ever since it was announced. Specially because Lai Guanlin will act for the first time in a series.

The story was faithful to the original movie. The pivotal scenes where showed like pool scene. There was a special ‘tribute’ to the original that somehow gave me a new and refreshing feels about this new version.

It was fun to watch specially because of the cast. They were young/new actors/actress and their new faces added to the freshness of the series. I never knew Zhao Jinmai before but in the mid of the series I remember that she was part of The Wandering Earth cast. Her acting in this series is very natural. She’s so cute and fun to watch. The others like the ones who play Kaituo and Xin are also commendable. Both played a strong character and they have executes it beautifully. ????????

The OST is good also. Definitely rewatchable! ????

The only thing that i got tired of was some very slow motion motion scenes they made me skip a bit because it was too much for me. Hehe! ????

Mikaela_EXOL
This drama was so cute! I really recommend this drama to someone who is looking for a light hearted c drama with not much melodrama (or any at all).

This c drama has themes of youth, popular guy and not so popular girl, high school, college, friendship, fashion, architecture, and the cutest little jealousy scenes ever!

Out of the probably 80 c dramas I’ve watched (and counted), this drama goes into my top 5 for c drama youth. This type of drama is exactly what I’m looking for when I think of a youth drama. And yes, there IS a happy ending!

Just keep in mind that the cast is 18 years or younger, so there isn’t much to the drama than your middle school romance lololol. Still recommend!

starbutterfffly
ok so, I didnt expect this drama to be this good. I'm such a big fan of the Thai movie, whenever I feel like crying, I always watch the Thai movie. If you are a big fan of the Thai movie, dont expect this drama to be same with the original ones. This drama is different in a good way. Liang You Nian and P' Shone dont really have the same characteristic, Liang You Nian is a little bit colder (I dont know if wether its his character or its just that Lai Guan Lin is still awkward, i dont follow wannaone so idk about him) and P' Shone is more like a mysterious kind hearted guy. For the lead actress, I do feel they kind of have similar vibes, I really like both Nam and Miao Miao. All of the support characters are good, the development of the characters and the plot are also better than what I expected.
And what I like the most of this drama is that they show you how the reality of college students, compare to Korean dramas that I've watched so far, they rarely show about school/college life.

Dramaaddict07
If you are like me who watched the Thai version of 'A Little Crazy Thing Called Love' and want to have the same heart fluttering, butterflies in your stomach, and weird-smile-on-the-face the entire time moments, this show is definitely going to disappoint. BUT if you are just here for the love of a sweet, college romance drama, this is a show for you! :)

Firstly, for the storyline, as mentioned above, it is totally different from the original except for the whole ugly girl turns pretty thing. Granted, they tried to mimic all the highlights of the movie, no. JUST NO. I really know how to explain it. Sometimes during the drama, I had the whole 'OMG this is from the original!!!' then a wave of disappointment will wash through me as the whole scene just seemed a little too forced or that scene is just too far off from the movie. I somehow try to justify this with the idea of it being a drama and therefore have to add much more relationship lines and scenes apart from the original, but I certainly feel that so many things changed that it should not have called itself a remake and instead is a whole new story that probably took a littleeeee reference from the Thai movie.

For the storyline on its own, without thinking it as a remake whatsoever, is not bad. The beginning took on slow but it somehow makes you want to continue watching and see how everything work out in the end. For a lighthearted romance drama, it works. It has most of the cliche moments needed in a drama that somehow works and the character development was done well as you can see them gradually change through the episodes. If you want a break from all the intense dramas, this is definitely it! Not the best drama out there but still enjoyable to watch.

For the actors, I think they did a great job considering that they are all pretty new and do not have much experience. Yes, there were some awkward acting at times but most of the times it is quite natural. The characters are all very lovable! Great bromance, romance and sisterhood and every character have enough depth to get you invested in the show more! The love lines in the drama are also executed well and are all enjoyable to watch and root for.

To end it off. I really need to reiterate that this is really one of the most failed remakes ever. It is not like the acting or the storyline is bad. But it is really not the 'A Crazy Little Thing Called Love' that I expected. If you watch it with the same expectations I had, it is really disappointing. You get a glimpse of the original, and also it reminds me of another show that I can't really point my finger at. If only they could just give it another name, it would be perfect. Would recommend you to watch it if you are taking a break from all the intense political/fighting dramas and want some happy, lighthearted show to make life a little more interesting :)

liteulkwin
A premise you've, more likely than not, seen before, with countless recognizable plot devices and character tropes, A Little Thing Called First Love isn't the freshest show out there. Xia Miao Miao is a sweet but meek young girl who develops a huge crush on the golden boy, Liang You Nian, and you follow their lives within the school setting as they come of age. If you've seen this type of story and have loved it, then you'll probably at least enjoy its reiteration here. I'm on that boat. These tropes got me hook, line and sinker lol.

The thing that sort of rubbed me the wrong way in this production was how they handled the female lead's physical transformation in order to fit in with society's standards of beauty and to make her feel more worthy of the male lead. I appreciate how she learned to go after her own goals and actually became respected for skills, but her physical transformation was just a bit much for me with everyone encouraging her to undergo certain changes and then praising her when she finally fit in. The changes ARE gradual and can realistically showcase things a girl does as she grows up, but it's the conversations around it that could have been more tactful. Not a fan, but didn't pull me entirely away from the story.

The cast was a bit young for my taste, but I think they did a fine job for this being so early on in their careers. It's rare that you get actors playing a character OLDER than their actual age. You follow these characters into their early adulthood, which is a span of about six years throughout the 36 episodes, but I still find that a lot of the thoughts and actions they have when they are around 22 years old is similar to their mindset when they were 16. There's not a whole lot of character development for anyone except the female lead, and everyone has retained that immaturity they had when they were in high school. I'm giving them a high score just because they are too stinking cute, and I love the different relationships within their group dynamic. I didn't dislike any of the supporting characters. The lighthearted feel of this drama luckily doesn't call for profound acting ability. They're actually more natural than I expected, but I overall just thought that either the actors were too young or the characters were situationally older than they should have been.

Overall, just an adorable feel-good drama, with some promising young and newer faces.

c00kie
"Xue Zhang" (o-o) ~Miao Maio

This is a super cute High school/college romance Cdrama. It follows the plot of many other cliche dramas- the girl is shy 'ugly' unintelligent, whilst the male is tall handsome popular smart. But what makes this drama different from other is that the female lead is not overly obsessed with the male, she becomes more independent.

I really liked the leads cute shy interactions with each other before they dated. Kuan Lin acting still isn't top-notch, which can be seen in some scenes where he doesn't portray enough emotion, especially in sad scenes. Angel Zhao did a splendid job, she expressed her emotions well. They had good chemistry together. Heads up- if you're expecting a kiss scene: well sadly there are none at all in this drama, the most is a peck on the cheeks. This is understandable since Angel Zhao was 16 and Kuan Lin was 17.

The OST is super good! I love their intro song, the lyrics is really cute, and relates well to the plot.

I would definitely watch if season two comes!

iamchichibebe
Yeah, it's a typical handsome brainy guy and a not so attractive girl story. But I really liked their chemistry together. I wish Lai Guan Lin had more facial expressions, but his smile melts my heart anyway. I was a bit disappointed by how the drama ended - It was nothing special in my opinion, but if there'll be a season 2, I'd still watch it. :) I also liked that Miao Miao, physical transformation was gradual and that there was always something that triggered the change. I am a bit irritated by the "advertisements" of the skin care products, felt it was too much. But hey, that's just me. :)

pktljames
It's rare to come across a drama that is as cute as this one without there being some sort of downside, but this show is just all around adorable. The story is well done, the actor/actresses all do a good job and it gives you a decent picture of young love without making it too sweet or too angsty. It feels very natural.

Though there are a few side characters that I would have been happy to have seen a bit less of, every character added to the show in their own way and created a world that is both familiar and new.

I love this show and was especially impressed with the Male Lead. I think this is his first lead role and he absolutely nailed the character. He carried the entire series as if he'd done it many times.

I highly recommend this drama if you are looking for something light and cute with a sweet romance.

Bouhoub
I just finished “A little thing called first love” and I really enjoyed this drama. All the characters were awesome.

First, the female lead improves by the time from a teenager to a young adult. From having braces, to start using makeup, creams and trying to find her own style as we all do during this period. It was not the makeover that we can usually see on dramas. It is really well done.

Then, the male lead is not pushing down the female lead and that is refreshing. For once, the ML is quite the opposite.

Finally, the female lead is really smart from the beginning. I mean she is still a teenager, but she is not naive or so. She knows what she wants and she can say no when it is needed.

To conclude, it was a really great drama, quite realistic. And I loved the FL little sister!