That Fool (2009) poster

Susu
May 10, 2011
I absolutely loved this drama! It was heart-warming, cute and entertaining. I admit that a fake marriage isn't the most original storyline ever but that isn't important when we are talking about a romantic comedy. We know more or less how the plot is going to develop and what the outcome will be. What makes these dramas interesting is the interactions between characters. If the characters are likeable and there's chemistry between them, the drama is enjoyable. And in this case, the main characters are excellent.

Hwang Jeong Min is an amazing actor who portraits Dong Baek as so good, honorable, and kind-hearted man that you just have to love him. Even though Dong Baek is a little simple and sometimes easily manipulated by others, he isn't a pathetic fool. I really admired his positive life philosophy: find reasons to smile and laugh even when bad things happen. More cynical person might find it annoying, I certainly didn't.

The first impression of the beautiful actress Ji Soo (Kim Ah Joong) is that she's a distant star but as the drama goes on she turns out to be a sweet and quite ordinary girl who isn't flawless either - and that's what makes her so charming and deserving of Dong Baek's love. I really liked how the main couple's relationship develops in a believable way despite the fact they seem quite mismatched at first glance.

A special mention goes to Sang Chul (Baek Sung Hyun), Ji Soo's little brother. Together with Dong Baek's little sister Min Ji (Lee Chung Ah) he adds some really adorable comedy elements to the drama when meddling in the main couple's relationship as a protective little brother. The interactions between these four characters offer some of the drama's best moments.

The plot is fine and the drama goes forward with good pace. There isn't too much angst or melodrama which I personally don't like that much. However, I came to almost despise Kang Mo and his slick smiles.

Music got only 6 because it wasn't that great and there were even some songs that annoyed me a bit. If the drama had a better soundtrack, it would be even more amazing.

I gave this drama overall 10 because I loved it so much; it was exactly the kind of drama I enjoy to watch. If you are searching for a drama that makes you laugh, shed a few tears and feel good and happy after watching it, I warmly recommend trying this one. You might even learn something from Goo Dong Baek! :)

Hi5Me
Dec 1, 2014
Who doesn't love Hwang Jung-Min. Goo Dong Baek-sshi is my HERO!!!
This is the only KDrama that I have watched the entire series at least 4 times, True Story. And would watch again if I can learn to stomach his selfish co-workers, but no, I cant forgive them. The story so sweet that I'm crying as I'm writing this review, *I need a tissue.*

This is the drama to watch if you are looking for a simple love story that is not based on "star-cross lovers", or pre-destined love or fate; but a love that forms from the realistic development of feelings and affection, combined with a character so unreal that he challenges you to examine yourself. With familiar classic components of a romantic KDrama, that thankfully did not overshadowed or ruined the performance delivered by a great actor.

I, 100% recommend this to anyone.

Paul
Jul 23, 2014
This was my very first drama. I've probably watch over thirty since including some of the most popular like Heirs, My Love from Another Star, Rooftop Prince, Heartstrings and The Moon Embracing the Sun. I would still consider That Fool one of the best. Wonderful characters, story line, music and acting. A great mix of drama, romance and comedy.
gongor32
Sep 30, 2012
Oh man.....I have so many feelings watchin' this.story is very unique it's make you cry and smile. I like main lead.Very outstanding acting very fit for this drama.Music is best i love soundtracks just listen it you will addicted. i don't know what i should write but it's very worth for watching. I forget time and watched it 12 hour row.
Mariola
Jul 22, 2015
I decided to watch this because reviews were good, and since it was a slow, nice plot drama series I said why not one day and started episode 1. First couple episodes started slow, around 5th series drew me a little closer to "more like" zone and by episode 9, I found myself really liking the main male lead personality. His looks, actions were goofy, sometimes irritated me a little but his heart and approach to life was spectacular. The best for me was the younger brother - not only good acting, but also he kind of brought a lot of energy into the drama. I really liked him not only by his acting but also his personality as a character build into the plot. Overall it was a nice, pleasant watch. Nothing crazy, nothing outrageous, just a good drama. Perhaps not very memorable but it's really worth to watch it because it's family series full of love and how a simple heart can accomplish so much when it comes to feelings, forgiveness and love.

korindian
Nov 11, 2012
I just rewatched this spontaneously. I didn't think I would, but I really wanted to see something with Hwang Jung Min in it. He's so great, he takes a simple guy and infuses him with life. The drama has a slow start, but really starts picking up halfway through. And you can see the cast improve throughout the drama. Really a cute story.
Dropped 16/16
gonnabe2pro
May 8, 2013
Dropped 0
Kinda just dropped this at episode 3

Well thing that made me drop is the male mc.

You may like him though if your tired of those arrogant rich guys because he is refreshing.

The show I found was pretty funny especially the male mc right from the start.

The thing is though I couldn't take him seriously and found him to much of a little btchh. Too dam nice and spineless.

For me I prefer male mc that are not arrogant or like the male mc in this drama but male mc that are respectable and cool. So for me watching someone like this was torture.
MomoSenshi
Nov 6, 2015
Honestly I wasn't giving to much for this drama. After searching for a comedy-romance drama and reading the story plot decided to watch. And I definitely don't regret.

If you're looking for a good laugh with some heart warming moments this one has to be on your list.
I really loved Hwang Jeong Min (Goo Dong Baek) character, I wish there were more men like him in this world.
It will hold your interest from the very beginning till the last episode. And you will also learn a lesson with this one.
Just keep smiling. :)
nasimzhosein
May 27, 2019
Although it's a drama in the past, watch this drama if you are new to Korean dramas. It is well acted, good story and almost realistic. Well written and some good words of wisdom in this drama.
The work group could be a bit annoying but this is a drama worth watching. It has realistic concepts throughout the drama and it engaging and not a fairy tale, well almost. It was one of the first that I watched and was hooked on the story acting and suspense. It also has a bit of comedic action as well.
XiaoMei
Aug 5, 2011
I didn't have positive attitude to this drama. The charachters seemed so...neuter. At the beginning we meet strange siblings. I really hated Min Ji, because she was.. very wild. Verbally. She screamed and she was brash. Dong Baek, exuse me, clumsy asshole, also wasn't delightful, though some times later, when he's started changing, he was even tolerable.

Everything is changed when Sang Cheol was introduced. This boy is hope of all this story. He was the only one who knew the truth about silly Kang Mo and he was the only one who didn't let manipulate himself. Since this role, I've been faithful fan of Baek Seong Hyeon. And his trunk.

Dropped 16/16
clearlywatching
Nov 27, 2012
Dropped 0
I dropped this drama at episode 8.

Story::
It was another "fateful" meeting drama. Nothing new that I felt. Truly, it seemed as though the plot was going to deepen in the first couple of episodes but it kept going round and round in circles. Unfortunately, I became too bored to continue.

Acting/Characters::

The characters were the breaking point for me. Acting is fantastic though, these actors can do a very good job. Characters however....I could not stand the goofy-happy-always-smiling-and-jolly guy that the main lead played. It urked the hell out of me.

Music::
Fit very well with the mood.

would never rewatch though...

Crisl
Sep 28, 2019
Этакая романтическая драма, о том как случай свел Звезду и простого человека, совсем не красавца, честно говоря, но с золотым сердцем (кто бы сомневался) И вот, вынужденные разыгрывать брак, любовь перед публикой, они постепенно сближаются. И фальшивка превращается в правду. Сказка кjонечно, но приятно.
Приятный сериальчик. Вот только с второстепенными персонажами как то не повезло. Нет, по исполнению - все в порядке, а вот по сути...Гговнюка-любовника хотелось стукнуть по голове, вот воистину хотел "и рыбку съесть и...". Сеструха гГ тоже та еще импульсивная девушка, которая лезет куда не надо, как и брат Гг-ни. Отдельная песня - дружный коллектив почты, где работает наш герой. Это жесть.