Pride (2004) poster

J-Drama

Giz
Mar 19, 2018
I cannot believe this drama was not on any to watch list until now..... this awesome drama is so freakin underrated.
I just finished it and I wanna watch it again..

The classic Queen band songs take on such a major high...I am still quivering as I write this, I want to jump and shout and tell everyone to watch this amazing drama...!!!

This drama is a total human emotions drama, such a roller coaster of emotions and this is 2004 ppl...so way before anything that was gr8....this story is where it all originated from...

From ep 1-8 , I was on this major roll, pumping with emotions as I watched, 8-10 was a little slow so cut half a score only for that but come 11 ep, especially the end and this is my current state as I type... sad that the drama is over and totally euphoric!

The best part is the video quality is awesome...this feels like a jdrama with an imternational today's vibe. Watch it if u like real romance and gr8 chemistry!

SeRose
Dec 3, 2012
Yay for Pride! It’s a first-rate steamy romance; no wait, it’s a first-rate inspirational sports drama. No wait, it’s a bit of both and somewhere in the combination is a half-hearted attempt to tell a new and unique story… no wait, there’s nothing new or unique. But if you A) Like a decently spun romance, or B) like Japanese hockey, then this is the drama for you.

Pride sets off with some pretty decent story-telling, and a couple of nicely charismatic actors. Initially I was watching this thing for Kimura Takuya, who plays hockey-player extraordinaire Satonaka Halu. He’s your standard rom-com lead, romantic yet insecure, and to cover up his insecurities, he hides behind the ‘Pride of the Iceman.’ I think that has something to do with being awesome on skates, padded up like an Eskimo, and generally being able (and allowed) to bowl over any man who gets in your way.

Equally impressive as an acting force, however, is Takeuchi Yuko playing Murase Aki as the girl left behind… by another guy/jerk introduced halfway through drama. Here’s the rub: Halu was warned never to sincerely love a woman, lest it interfere with his career; Aki is technically still waiting for her boyfriend to return (after a two year hiatus – and these people obviously don’t believe in phones). So in the meantime, to stave off loneliness and generally have fun, they’ve agreed to date until Aki’s boyfriend returns, and then they’ll part amicably as friends. Maybe…

As a sports drama it’s honestly not too bad. Keep in mind, I’m not a huge sports junkie and I’m not generally fond of the genre, but I’m also not completely averse to seeing hot guys working out. Did I have any genuine anxiety that maybe the team wouldn’t play well in the finals, or that every player would become injured and remain crippled? Not really. Were the slow-motion sequences of pucks magically sliding towards the goal net cheesy? Yes, sort of. Did I really care one way or the other? Nope.

As a romance story, it’s above average with a touch of good chemistry, some fairly hot kiss scenes, and then some… And really up through the halfway mark, I had nothing too bad to say about the development of the couple. Unfortunately then we’re hit with your typical dose of angst, stupidity, and a serious lack of communication.

I give a pass on this, ignoring the random bits of ridiculousness. (For a more indepth analysis, you can visit my blog). I watched this mostly for the romance and for Kimura and I was not terribly disappointed with either. I’d also like to see more of this guy in the future, so I think Pride was far from being a waste of time.

sweetlove
Sep 7, 2012
Because i am a big fan of Kimura Takuya, I've really wanted to watch this drama since a year ago. But i never find the video, both online or DVD. But, finally i can watch this drama online and I'm certainly falling in love with this one.
The story has strong points in romance and friendship. Halu is man who dont believe in any woman because he has been left by his mother in his early age. That's why he never make a serious relationship with any woman, and consider that his relationship is just a game. But after he met Aki his belief has turned up side down. Aki is just an ordinary office woman who has been waiting her boyfriend come back to Japan for several years without any news. After he met Aki, his life is never be the same. Although he still deny that her relationship is just a game but in the end he realize that he is definitely falling in love with her.
Their acting are really amazing. I think this is the best drama of Kimura Takuya after Long vacation. THis drama also reminds me has the same genre as Buzzer Beat, but has twice better storyline than Buzzer Beat.

addicted2dramas
Nov 29, 2012
I finally came around to watching this wonderful drama that's been recommended by so many people on this website. So, was it great? Absolutely! This is definitely one of the greatest Jdramas ever made and that makes it a classic.

The starting was great and the story's narrative never fell weak. However, as is the case with most dramas this one also dragged on a little bit. Plus there were a few sub-plots, especially among the last few episodes that I didn't particularly like so that rounds out to an 8 for me. This is the only con.

The romance was great and there are hardly any cliches when it came to Halu and Aki's relationship. It was not just a story where two people fall in love. It's a complex story involving great amounts of character growth and all the complicated issues the characters have to deal with.

Honestly, I was exhausted by the end of this drama because it was more complex than what I usually watch.

Characters:

It definitely has one of the best characterizations I have come across in a drama. Halu's character is very well written. I think I liked every character in this drama except Aki who I had a few issues with. It was a demand of the story so I am going to overlook it.

For me, Halu is a very interesting person. He is a great pile of complications hidden underneath that cool demeanor. He is utterly messed up with a sad past and hides his pain by his sarcasm and dark humour. He can be terribly honest and has an impulsive personality. Plus that bad-boy persona does wonders to his character. I loved him a lot because he was like a puzzle that I enjoyed putting together while watching. I had a great time contemplating his actions and trying to reason with his behaviour. He is deeply flawed, but complex and wins you over from the first episode itself- kudos to Kimura's flawless acting. (Why didn't I discover this man before?!)

As for other characters, I liked how each of them interacted with the other and opened up nicely. It's rare to see so many characters having such meaningful conversations in a drama. Most of the story actually involves talking and less of actions. That's surely a sign of good writing.

Acting:

I have no complaints when it comes to the acting department. They had a wonderful cast and there wasn't anyone on there who I thought couldn't act. They were all great but the star is obviously Kimura-san! :D

Direction, Editing and other technicalities:

This drama had pretty good direction. The hockey part seemed so real. I liked how they filmed it. I am not a hockey fan, but this one made it seem interesting.

The editing part was alright. Nothing too great and they didn't focus on making it look pretty. The camera work was clean and they made it out to be plain. You could say it didn't require anything extraordinary to make it appealing to the eyes because they had such a good cast.

I have to mention this! Queen is definitely one of my old favourite bands. I love the music of the 80's and the track 'Born to Love You' is great, in my opinion. I am so happy they chose such a good theme song!

Rewatch value:

This is a drama I would want to watch it again. Because I am sure I would have a different experience and different opinions then. Definitely worth rewatching!

So- great drama! Go ahead and watch it because you won't regret it. :)

wonhwa
Jun 17, 2014
I really wanted to love this show. It has sexy, charismatic leads. It has fist-pumping sports action. It has power ballads! Oh, it has gender politics from the last century . . . heck, maybe the last millennium . . .

I was fine with the rehashing of sports drama clichés – hey, look, it’s the underdogs taking on the underhanded champions! – and the occasional random plot twists (fear the escalator), but the show’s inability to shake its nostalgia for a time when men were men and went out into the world doing manly things while women stayed home faithfully tending the hearth was, well, frustrating. Sure, these modern warriors are tough on the outside but vulnerable on the inside, and may need to stumble by for a shoulder to cry on every few years, but the whole Odysseus/Penelope trope felt so eight century BCE. And even Penelope never considered marrying one of her thuggish, abusive suitors.

The writer keeps stating that blind allegiance to absent men isn’t really the ideal, but in the end, that’s pretty much what the women choose. They wait, they nurture, and they take back the guys who for some baffling reason don’t seem to know how to operate a phone or send an e-mail. If you can turn off the critical part of your brain, the show has a fun summer popcorn flick vibe, but I was hoping for more than Top Gun on skates. I was also hoping that the women might eventually get fed up and whomp their errant men upside the head with a hockey stick. Just once. Maybe . . .

WhiteLilly
Aug 10, 2015
FINALLY a more realistic J-drama with mature characters.

It was great. You feel with the main characters, you learn new things about
them during the episodes and you want them to be happy.

This is one of the shows where you sit in front of the screen and scream mentally
"Please, let it be a happy ending, please..."

It will leave you satisfied and content.
FreeWhirpool
Apr 21, 2017
A very, very solid 9. This drama was unexpectedly much different from what I thought it would be.

The atmosphere, the characters, the acting EVERYTHING was incredible. Scenes that could have very easily crossed the line to melodrama surprisingly didn't and the directing was very well done. Not once did I feel like a scene was unnecessary or a waste of time.

The leads were literally perfect- they looked great together AND had amazing chemistry. From what I've noticed, older Japanese dramas are much better at romance than the newer ones, with more realistic characters and no flowery filters.

Overall- This is not a rom-com, but much more of a romance drama. Hockey is a huge part of the show, but it isn't necessary for you to know anything about hockey (case in point, me) to really enjoy the show. Annoying side characters (or should I say, character) are present though, but everyone else is wonderful, so don't let it deter you.

Kainoona
May 15, 2016
Honestly i don't remember much of pride only that it was amazing and fulfilling. It was one of my first jdramas and it set the bar very high. The phase "maybe? must be" has stayed as part of my daily life since then and that speaks volumes about it. Its a classic so every respected drama addicted should watch it for sake of history.
fannypakit
Apr 12, 2017
Pride is my all-time favorite jdrama, so I thought it was fitting it deserved 10/10 in all categories. Not only did it hit you in the feels romance-wise, but it also popularized ice hockey and was a truly impressive jdrama on all ends.

Story: What I particularly liked is the balance of drama, romance, comedy, and sports. It is quick paced from the very beginning and I was never bored watching any of the episodes. They focus on the supporting characters as well, so I feel like you really get character depth with most characters. Its depth in the multiple storylines is done well and I like that they actual cover some backstory. Also, this is the best thematic jdrama I have seen. Pride. Maybe, must be. Of the last century. Spring and Fall. It's all woven together so nicely.

Acting/Cast: They absolutely nailed it. I personally think Kimutaku is at his best here. I felt like I was going through all the emotions with him, the way he can fill his eyes with so much emotion is impressive. Plus, Kimutaku and Takeuchi Yuko's chemistry is off the charts. There is something wrong with you if you are not rooting for them. I also thought the supporting characters were well casted as well. Very strong performance from Sakaguchi Kenji (Hotta Yamato) and I even enjoyed Sato Ryuta's sometimes over the top Makoto character.

Music: Queen is great and fitting but what is that instrumental song that is so beautifully embedded in the series? Because that song is killing it. Used so perfectly.

Rewatch Value: I give it a 10 because this is the one (and possibly the only) jdrama that I have watched multiple times. My count is probably at 3 times watched for this drama.

MysteryMel-Bookish
Nov 16, 2014
Began this drama post fellow MDL'er's listing. Since I am NOT a sports enthusiasts this put me off YET the storyline and the ever manly KT (Halu) kept me coming back for more. The hockey part of the drama served as the analogy of life and the complications of friendships & love. The entire cast was awesome depicting their roles, especially chemistry of leads was always set on simmer - nice. The story, not new just a well portrayal of growth- boys to men & girl to woman through angst, love, pain, and forgiveness. The music: QUEEN need I say more! Queen music was perfect for this drama, by aligning to the two leads personalities. Watch again? Hummmmmmmmmm so much drama to see, but KT is a draw! Caution, the music will brain worm you - I was born to love you!

Rigby
Mar 15, 2016
This drama is my first time watching Kimura Takuya and definitely not the last since i became an instant fan! I like the premise of the drama: two people get into a contract that they will be lovers until the boyfriend of the girl comes back and game over to them! It is kind of a risky game but i admit i like the plot and how th egame has been played in the drama. I love as well that this is a sport drama where we find the lead guy wearing a jersey amd playing ice hockey as he leads Kimura Takuya is cute, angsty, hot, cold, kind, frank, tactless sportsman who just fell in love with an ordinary but smart, loving and caring girl! I love his glances and gazes, hie eyes speaks volume!

I love how the character of the leads progresses as well as the loveline. I love how they become friends at the start of their contract and then become so comfy until they realize they are falling in lvoe already. The chemistry is amazing. I guess they are comfortable with each other! They act so maturely!

The music is surprisingly great! Really going back to my teenaged years! It was so nostalgic to hear Queen's 8os song!

This is rewatchable, i actually re watch some of my fave scenes and episodes!

Overall this is something light to watch but it will surely entertain you.

Lorrapatricia
Aug 26, 2016
WHAT I LIKED

I KNOW ZERO ABOUT HOCKEY BUT IT WAS REALISTIC ENOUGH to make me cheer and it was very very entertaining !
I ENJOYED THE SIDE STORIES (it's a Hockey Team). I never skipped over any of them like I usually do :) Each tale/pairing had enough of a bite to hold my interest though I may have gently tapped the FF just to jog things along in places ;)

THE MAIN LOVE STORY was impressive. An Office Lady and A Pro-Hockey Star played out the angst and fear of falling in love at first sight when all the reasons why they can't and shouldn't have been a part of their personal circumstances for ages. If/When love happens, you really have no say in the matter right? This idea was portrayed very believably here.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE
I would definitely give this an 8 if I hadn't found the ending to be a bit too crispy for my taste - Not saying crispy is bad - just saying too crispy makes it just that little bit stiffer, harder to bite into and takes away just that teeny bit from the overall enjoyment.