Pride (2004) poster

AlphaGirlReviews
Sep 28, 2017
Pride is considered to be one of the best Japanese sports based romantic drama. And, believe me, it really is that good to be praised so highly by dorama fans. The show feels like a 90’s Hollywood film, probably because of Freddie Mercury’s ‘I Was Born To Love You’, which is the show’s theme song. Since I have always enjoyed watching 90’s Hollywood films so for me this show was like a trip down the memory lane when life was less about text messages and chats and more about meeting people personally and spending time with them. So, let’s have a look at what makes this dorama so special and praiseworthy.

Good Weights
Plot: The plot revolves around a man’s Pride. Halu is a man who has had a tough life and has nothing but his pride to cling on. Hardships have hardened Halu so much that now he only aims for the best and despises anything that isn’t up to his standards. Throughout the show, Halu is shown to pick his pride over everything else. Even when he knows that he can stop the woman he loves from going to back to her boyfriend, he doesn’t do so because begging for love would amount to crushing his pride. He financially supports the coach’s family after his death only to keep his wife from marrying another man. He wants the coach’s wife to spend the rest of her life as a widow mourning the death of her husband since he knew how much the coach loved her.
I personally do not support such traditional thoughts. It is just that the dorama has beautifully depicted the importance of pride to a man.

Back-stories: Each of the important side-character has a back-story that explains his or her behaviour and choices in the show. For instance, Halu’s teammate Ikegawa Tomonori is a good-looking rich brat who lives life recklessly. He throws away money (literally too) on women and booze. People only know him as the rich playboy, who has no care in the world and will one day inherit his father’s business when in reality he is actually an illegitimate child of his father’s mistress and his father is ashamed of acknowledging his mother and him. To compensate for the lack of father’s love his mother gives him a lot of money to live a lavish life. He, however, is shattered by the reality of his birth and splurges money looking for happiness.
Every episode touches the life of one character and explains the reason why they are so passionate about ice hockey and how Halu plays an important role in their lives.

Bromance: Since this is a sports drama, there is plenty of bromance. You get to see the camaraderie that sportsmen share with their team. Actually, the one thing common in most sports drama is the bro code of ‘bros over hoes’. And it feels nice to watch men share such a bond with their friends.

Romance: Halu is the man with a painful past and Aki is a sweet naive woman looking for love. He brings love like a challenge in her monotonous life while she brings warmth in his life. They complete each other and even when they do not acknowledge it, people around them can clearly see how perfect they are for each other. Takuya’s chiselled face and a muscular body make him the perfect iceman. While Takeuchi’s innocent face and soft voice make her the very lovable Aki. They effortlessly bring their characters to life. Together they share great onscreen chemistry.

Bad Weights
Slow Paced: The story progresses slightly slowly. Some scenes are dragged unnecessarily. But that is just a handful of them. The show is otherwise quite engaging.
The show has enough of good weights to be called a good dorama. I wanted a good romantic drama to keep me entertained over a rather boring weekend and Pride had me involved a 100%. Its soundtracks, story and cast were all put beautifully together. I enjoyed every episode of this classic Japanese dorama.

If you want to start watching Japanese drama’s do start with this one as its video quality and dubbing is much better than most other J-dramas. If you are looking for a good sports/romantic drama then Pride should be your pick as it seamlessly combines the two and brings you an almost flawless drama.

Originally posted on ww.alphagirl.in

arashinta
[WARNING: the rating and review I give have the possibility to be subjective due to my preference for the genres, scenes or casts]

This is indeed an old dorama, but I still melted with KimuTaku's acting no matter how many times I've watched this ヽ(♡‿♡)ノ For me, this is the best dorama of him (^_^) MUST BE! ヽ(*⌒▽⌒*)ノ

The story is mostly about the ice hockey. I never familiar with that sport, so this dorama really interesting for me. The romance part tell how jerk (at first) Haru is and how naïve Aki is. Although they start their relationship in a weird and wrong way, but in the middle Haru is so sweet to Aki and open up himself to her.

The conflict came from Haru and Aki side, and quite complicated in my opinion. The solution, on the other hand, made complicated by themselves. But don’t you worry, in the end they all feel the happiness.

Alex Chang
Aug 7, 2016
I thought that this drama had a very good story with wonderful actors. It includes hockey and lots of cockiness from the main actor, and the ending is very very very good
bowsrain
Oct 9, 2014
I was born to love you
With every single beat of my heart
Yes, I was born to take care of you
Every single day...

Freddie Mercury's song I Was Born to Love You was my favourite song from this drama and I believe it was the perfect opening song.

This was the first KimuTaku drama I watched, and since then, I've seen several KimuTaku dramas. I must say, he is great in every one of them.
Crisl
Sep 22, 2019
Решила я отдохнуть от кавайной японской молодежи и посмотреть дораму со зрелыми актерами, тем более много слышала о Кимура Такуя. Плюс - здесь играет актриса, которая мне очень понравилась в Королеве ланча - Юко Такеучи.
Оказался очень нежный и трогательный фильм о любви. О такой любви, о которой мечтают многие и не побоюсь этого слова - вместе навсегда. Хотя поначалу и ничего не предвещало: ведь она ждет парня, он не "умеет" любить. Но мы снесем все преграды. Не об этом ли надо снимать кино.
Бонусом спасибо за саундтрек от Queen-ов, они были очень к месту.