Danceinthesunlight
Jun 30, 2012
I can't give this drama anything but a 10/10 because for its style it was perfect. It was almost exactly what I was expecting.

Whoever is in need of a light comedy should watch this. Expect many hilarious moments. Nagase Tomoya is very expressive, you'll most likely burst into laughter at the mere sight of him. However, expect some depth too. They handle serious matters as well: redefining one's life, learning about true love and friendship, surpassing one's limits. These are all expressed very well and they transition smoothly into and out of the humour. You'll find some very touching moments too, but that's definitely not the defining theme of the drama. It's almost entirely comical. And despite basing itself on serious matters, it manages to stay light enough to be enjoyable as pure comedy.

Acting: I was quite surprised actually. Given the obscurity of this drama I thought they would probably have a bunch of mediocre actors, but these kids are brilliant! They exceeded my expectations. Almost all of them anyway.

Music: It was SPLENDID. I fell in love with the ending theme from the very first second. And the music throughout the show is also very entertaining; it goes well with each scene and just lifts your spirits. For a pretty underrated drama, the music was exquisite. Too good to ignore. It wasn't just a soundtrack, it was a lot more powerful. In some scenes my attention was actually stolen by the music than the action.

Akaisora
May 22, 2011
This is the funniest dorama ever. Nagase Tomoya is hilarious, and the plot is cute and funny, and his facial-expressions are out-of-this-world. I laughed so much while watching this, and I've watched it 3 times already. It's not serious, but quite light, and the beginning song (Sorafune by TOKIO) is lovely as well, and sticks in your head for days. I sincerely recommend this dorama to everybody!
miriam18
Aug 5, 2012
This show is so great i loved the leading actor on this show he is truly funny as all get out this was very good . And i normally don't like japan dramas very much. I'm so glad i took a chance on this one horray for me. If i had to described the show in one word it would have to be. Awesome!! so i really hope you end up watching this show it is really great.
Nara
Jul 17, 2013
One of the best comedy drama ever. The stupid Nagase, turn into high school student, act as17 years old in order to accomplised the wish of his father. There are a lot of foolish scene that makes you laugh. I promise you will love it. IMO, the minus is the poor acting of Tegoshi Yuya. Over all, it's good. If you search something funny drama, here it is.
Ana
Jun 6, 2016
This drama made me laugh like crazy. Some may think that is just stupid to laugh at the faces Makky does, but it was incredible.
Sakaki is the older son of the Yakuza leader. He is the one that will be in charge of the gang, but, because of a stupid math mistake that causes a great loss of Money, his father says that, in order to become the next Yakuza leader he has to graduate from high School. He goes to the last year of high school, undercover because no one can know he is related to Yakuza. How can na Yakuza go undercover to the school? From the way of talking to the attitude we think that it will be a disaster!
At first he hates it, but then he learns more than just Physics or English. This drama remind me of "Beauty and the Beast". Because even an Yakuza leader-to-be can have a heart, if someone dares to see it.

This is pure comedy,with feelings inside. Friendship, love, loyalty, it's all in here! Nagase Tomoya is HILARIOUS and I laughed so hard with his faces, and his way of talking that my belly hurt. Its is a good drama if you are looking for a good, light comedy. The final song fits like a glove, it's awesome! Now when I hear it I can only imagine Sakaki.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

NB4Y
Jul 13, 2014
I am really surprised finishing this drama. In the beginning I thought that it would just a funny comedy, with a little bit of trash and nothing more, but I was wrong.

The story is simple and yet deeper than it seems. It starts as a funny comedy ending one of the best endings I've ever seen. I laughed a lot, I also was about to cry, even though I've never cried for something like this (drama, anime, games or anything else).

I loved the characters of this show, every single character was a very good character, even the ones that I didn't like in the beginning. I especially loved Makio's character, the protagonist. But the acting wasn't always excellent, there were a lot of scenes where it was lacking but there were even more scenes that were really well acted: the comedic scenes, the serious scenes and Makio's rapefaces (Ah, never forget them).

The music was good. I didn't like so much the opening song but I loved the ending, for the song and for the role of "ending" the episode.

khjfan01
Apr 15, 2014
My Boss, My Hero was very enjoyable.

I actually just finished it, and I can say that if ur in need of a laugh, this is the drama for u. From the very first episode (which I think is the funniest), this drama will force u into fits of laughter tht u'll need to pause it just to catch ur breath. Seriously, I started watching this last night, and I was laughing so much tht I was literally crying. Nagase Tomoya is hysterical. I did start watching the drama for him, and I'm glad I did.

Other than the hilarity of it all, My Boss, My Hero is a decent story overall. It won't leave you frustrated, and the ending wraps up nicely. It's the story of Makio, a 27 year old yakuza heir, who is so much of an idiot tht his father sends him back to high school to get his high school diploma. If he fails, he won't get to be the next boss. Through his journey, he learns what it means to really be a part of a class. Friendship, love, and most of all, youth. I think the biggest theme of this drama is youth, and how you've got to enjoy it when you've still got it. Makio learns a great deal from his class, but in return, he teaches them as well.

This is a great drama to marathon, as it's not dull, and is very short (as most jdramas). The beginning and ending song is so catchy, I just love it! And you will never forget Nagase's performance, his faces are absolutely hysterical. Give it a chance, you won't be bored!

bokami
Dec 30, 2011
MBMH Fans are quite scary ^^V

i feel kinda satisfied and disappointed at the same time..

although its funny throughout and remain slapstick all the way...
the dramatic moment is kinda cheesy for the sake of presenting lesson to audience.

the story is predictable but it is intended as it focus on giving the audience laughter and lessons

ps: add 1 to 2 points overall if you really like comedies more than anything else ^^
IzzyDramaLover
Mar 10, 2018
Love this drama!! I thought it's just gonna be a senseless, funny drama but it was much more deeper! ^-^ Japanese comedy dramas are the best!! They managed to have a nice story along with the comedy.

Nagase Tomoya's acting was brilliant!..and his facial expressions were absolutely hilarious!! xD The other actors were really good as well! They were so much more better than I expected them to be. :))

And I loved the soundtrack, especially the ending theme song.

I'm craving pudding so bad..T-T
Luna Alva
Oct 11, 2017
There's one thing I can tell you for sure about this show and it's that in moments where I've been stressed or depressed, My Boss My Hero have genuinely  been there to my rescue! Therefore, I've watched many many times and will probably watch it again when I'm in need of a good laugh!

Not only is it a lighthearted, enjoyable and overly funny drama  but it gives you a lot of heartwarming lessons for everyday life while enjoying Maki's  wacky personality. Nothing calls more for a fun story other than a violent yakuza with a big heart! Tomoya Nagase did a great job in this role, his good looks and charisma makes Makio a lovable character with a great personality. The bromance between him, Sakurakouji (Tegoshi Yuya) and Kazuya (Tanaka Koki) is cute and funny, and the chemistry between them is pretty good. Even the relationship with supporting role characters develops throughout the story without leaving anyone behind. All the characters grow up throughout the story and their relationships mature in spite of their ages, fears and traumas.

Although this might not be the most romantic drama out there, there romance in here is refreshing and innocent all the way till the end! The story is very entertaining with it's goofy parts and also heart wrenching moments that will totally make you shred one or two tears. If you are looking for something full of laughs, life lessons and a bit of romance, My Boss My Hero is your best option!

There isn't really anything bad I could say about this drama, every character was unique in it's own way giving the whole story a nice comedic touch that will make you laugh for hours wanting to watch one episode after the other. The ending was really good and I couldn't ask for anything else, it makes sense and will totally make you recognize Tomoya Nagase's acting skills!

So, fix yourself some popcorn and icecream and enjoy this show!

Antonin
Jun 23, 2017
Rough around the edges but if you are a fan of either Gakki or Tomoya Nagase, this is a fun show.

Very funny at times and Tomoya Nagase has great knack for comedy.

Also, one of the few dramas with Gakki in a high school uniform. Rest of the cast is okay.
Plam
Jul 22, 2016
Just imagine, yakuza gangster who stutters, loves pudding so much that he would "jump" over a building just to get one, can't think clear for more than 90 seconds and is soo stupid that he can't decide which is bigger - 35 or 27. You can't? Well then get prepared, because if you decide to watch this drama, you'll see a yakuza like no other.

The story: Imagine the yakuza mentioned above, stuck in a high school crowded with full of themselves teenagers, and trying to act all innocent and friendly, while on the other hand wants to kick the butt of all his "classmates" and you have it. Nothing so much, really. In it's whole once again the main idea is to learn all the important aspects in life. What makes it nice is the presentation, and the comedy. Definitely the comedy, which believe me, is like nothing you've seen before.

The cast: Like it. Until a while ago I had difficulty imagining Nagase Tomoya as an actor, but he actually did a great job, so he has my compliments on his performance. You'll definitely fall in love with his dorky yakuza. Also, after having watched Kashii Yuu in some other roles, this is the first time I actually like her performance, so she is worth mentioning as well. Oh, and Kouki, he was cute and absolutely adorable as well.
The drama passes with high score for me, so my advice is to give it a try.