Hi all! 

I've never watched anime before, but I'm curious and was wondering if there are any recommendations for a complete newbie like me. I'd prefer it if there's a strong present romance in the anime because I'm trash and I like that kind of stuff lol. Otherwise, any genre will do! 

Thank you!

TV

• Nodame Cantabile
  • Romeo x Juliet
  • Hana yori Dango
  • Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
  • Versailles no Bara
  • Detective Conan
  • InuYasha
  • Vampire Knight
  • Itazura na Kiss
  • Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
  • Skip Beat!
  • Bokura ga Ita
  • Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma
  • Chihayafuru
  • Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
  • Ao Haru Ride

Movies

• Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
  • Hal
  • Byousoku 5 Centimeter

DUUUUDE!! Welcome... ^__^

Check out myanimelist – I haven't seen many,  but there are some romance anime on mah list!

If I had to pick the best of the best, I'd say Kamisama Hajimemashita!!! I'm sure it's definitely an anime that all romance lovers would LOVE! Another good one is Kimi Ni Todoke but no other anime in the romance genre has topped Kamisama Hajimemashita!

There's also another anime which has slightly more drama than romance in it but I would highly recommend this one if you'd like to check it out :) It's called Nagi No Asukara. It's got quality animation and the soundtrack is really good!!! The concept of the setting in the story is really interesting too, it almost reminds me of Studio Ghibli's Ponyo but it has more of a balance between slice of life and fantasy and is more for a teenage audience.

Well, happy watching sailorscout! Let me know your thoughts if you decide to watch anything!! :)

Wow, thank you!!! 

Definitely gonna try one of these. Just gotta choose one lol 

If you want to ease in with movies, I strongly recommend Kimi no Na wa, and Koe no Katachi! Both are really beautiful stories~

As for anime series, these might already be on the lists shared above but my favourites with romance in them are:
Sakamichi no Apollon (also has great friendship, and a brilliant soundtrack!)
Ore Monogatari!! (there's also a cute live-action adaptation of this!)
Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sou (super funny)
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (another great comedy)
Edit: forgot to add Baby Steps! (main focus is sports but there's a cute romance, as well~ 2 seasons are out so far)

And if you want to branch out a little, these ones have some romance but also heavier genres attached, too:
Higashi no Eden (thriller, action, mystery--also has two movie sequels that tie up the story)
Akatsuki no Yona (fantasy, action, adventure)
Tenkuu no Escaflowne (a classic! fantasy, adventure, mecha series)

I also second Chihayafuru (which has 2 seasons out so far, plus a series of live-action film adaptations, starting with this one!) and Skip Beat~ Just beware, Skip Beat doesn't have a conclusive ending, since the manga is still ongoing.

Anything by Studio Ghibli is good. My personal favorites are LaPuta, Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away. These are both fantasy.

I prefer the older anime classics

Galaxy Express 999 ( really old 1970s anime-you might be turned off by the character designs but the story is good) (genre: sci- fi/steampunk/coming of age) set in a world where humans trade their bodies for android bodies as a way to gain immortality.  A young boy travels to different planets with a mysterious female companion.

Please Save My Earth - (genre: fantasy/drama/tragedy)  this one is about 6 modern day teenagers who are reincarnated and had previous lives in another world.

Fushigi  Yuugi / Mysterious Play - (genre: romance, fantasy, time travel) if there is one anime i would like to see in live action as an asian drama ( i don’t care if it’s a cdrama or kdrama) it would be this one. A young school girl gets trapped in a book and she travels to a fantasy world set in ancient china where she plays a key role in saving that world. She becomes the phoenix (suzaku no miko) priestess surrounded by several protectors (suzaku seishi) and they have to fight another priestess (the dragon priestess, who has a set of protectors of her own); female lead falls in love with one of her protectors.

They Were Eleven - (genre: sci-fi) this one is a murder mystery set in space. I think it’s loosely based on Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None.

Ogre Slayer (genre: horror, drama) - this one is good if you like horror.

Most of these recs are old; i much prefer the way anime used to be than the way it is now, although i am sure there are still some good animes out there. Also, most of these (except for fushigi yuugi) have little romance. Just my opinion, but when it comes to romance, i think that the korean/chinese/thais do it better. The japanese are good with non-romance related dramas and anime.

Forgot to add Detective Conan, which is great if you like mysteries.

I'll just give you the ones I'd give 10/10 from each genre I've watched. I'd check all these out as they're all really well directed, strong plot, good character and yeah; 

-  Romance - say, "I love you"

- comedy - Ouran Highschool host club

- thriller - death note

- supernatural - another 

- horror - corpse party [there's a lot of blood and this will make you jump so just beware]

- mecha - code geas

- yaoi / shounen-ai - love stage

- action - attack on titan & parasyte the maxim (love them both)

- Mystery/Crime/Detectice  - Psychic Detective Yakumo & Monster & detective conan (love the first two, loved the early episodes of DC but it's a hit or miss for me now. I  find the cases to be lacking in not being very interesting, however there's like 800+ eps so like you're bound to find at least one you like haha)

- sports - haikyuu & kuroko no basket (love them both)

- fanservice for females but has good plot - Free!

-fanservie for males but has good plot - (sorry haven't watched any/I usually drop them cause I'm a female and the amount of boobs and butts on display sickens me, no offense to anyone lol :P)

https://myanimelist.net/profile/anushka1234

Welcome!!! I only watch romance anime lol

-ouran high school host club

- itazura na kiss (same as the j/k drama!!!!)

- My teen romantic comedy

- SAO is action but also has a strong romantic presence

- Maid-sama

- Vampire knight (a lot of people like this but it was a little overdramatic for me lol)

Haikyuu!! & Diamond No Ace~ I'm into sports anime lol

Ouran High School Host Club 

Fruits Basket 

Toradora

Kimi ni Todoke

Akatsuki no Yona 

Pretear

Princess Tutu 

Sailor Moon

Ore Monogatari

Renaro Kopique:

Lovely Complex