so i downloaded a manga reader app for my ipod, there are several but i checked out the reviews on the top choices that come up and decided on mangastorm. love love love it! i totally recommend this app, you can download up to 10 chapters with the "lite" version (full version is i think $2.99) and then read them later even if you don't have wifi. so i've been using it a lot. i'd really been neglecting my manga addiction since i got into dramas but now that i have time to kill at work when it's slow and an ipod, i can get back into it :D
i'm burning right through Beck, and slowly plugging away at Kare Kano. I'll probably give HYD a shot after they're both done but what else do you guys recommend? i also wanted to start reading Bakuman but they don't appear to have that one :( i may try to find another free reader to find some of the titles that mangastorm doesn't have.
i usually lean towards shoujo but i like some shonen also.
IKIGAMI... I cant recommend this enough. This manga is one of the best manga I have ever read in my life. Here is the link to synopsis and review about it. http://imwithoutwax.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/signpost/
also if what you are looking for is romance, Hot Gimmick is one of the best imo ;)
If you're looking for a good ongoing shoujo I strongly recommend Skip Beat : A girl (Kyoko) who decided to become a star because her superstar childhood friend/boyfriend played her into becoming his maid without her noticing it. But as she enter in the industry, it appears she is more gifted than she (or anyone) thought.
For more information : http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/433

If you don't mind reading "old manga" my favorite shoujo is Glass Mask (aka garasu no Kamen, or Glass no Kamen) : Maya is a 12 year old girl in the late 70s who discovered drama through her little TV screen. She surprise everyone by her ability to memorize every line of anything she see on screen. A former top-class actress, Tsukikage, notice her and see in her the new acting prodigy she was looking for. As she train her into an actress, she realize how right she was: this girl is a genius. But Tsukikage won't be the only one to notice the young girl : a cold-hearted productor, the enemy of Tsukikage, Masumi Hayami, will surprise himself admiring the young actress...
For more information : http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/232

As a Josei I really loved Red River aka Tales of Anatolia : Yuuri is a japanese teenager leading an ordinary life, when she suddenly get traped into....the past. In Anatolia, during the ancient Hittite Empire. The Queen caught her to make her a blood sacrifice. But she is saved by one of the prince. Many times the queen will try to get Yuuri killed, and as the Empire's wars are getting worse, Yuuri try to find a way home...only to realise she doesn't know if really want to go. An epic story in the ancient times with love, war and tragidy.
For more informations : http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/341

My Non-for-girls-only favorite manga is, of course, Full Metal Alchemist. This is one of the must read of the manga universe nowadays.

Intelligent, Powerful, Captivating, Beautiful, this manga tell us the story of an art, the Alchemy, magic art mixed with science that provide to men the power to create or distroy. But this art is not to be use lightly, there are some rules : One of them is to never use human being in the alchemy, for exemple, it is forbidden to try to relive a dead person using this art. This is exactly what two brothers try to do one night, after the death of their mother. But this mistake will come with a price...
For more informations : http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/36

Here, that's all for me right now ^^ Hope you'll find what you need !
i am reading skip beat, i love it! can't wait for the next chapter :o
i had started watching the anime for glass mask a while back but only saw maybe 3 episodes and found it kinda dull =/ i kept meaning to pick it up again and give it a fair chance but just haven't gotten around to it.
FMA is one i've been reading off and on for ages. i should really get back into it but it's so long lol it's one i actually had started buying, once i have all the volumes of deathnote i plan on trying to get all the FMA volumes (as convenient as the reader and online scanlations are, nothing beats the real paper and ink version. wish i could afford to buy up a ton of manga lol but i have no room for them either so yeah)

Hot Gimmick i've heard of, i'll have to check it out. the others mentioned i haven't heard of so i'll check them out also

i like shonen-ai also but i probably shouldn't read those at work haha
ladyfaile, about Glass Mask, I know what you mean, even I when I watch the 1985 or the 2005 anime I find it a LITTLE mashmallow sometimes. But it's still my favorite because I grew up with it, the 1985 anime was broadcasted at noon when I was 11, it was around the time I started acting, it was about a girl my age who was also starting acting, I could relate so much I became an addict (and when I was 11 I couldn't see the soppy in it) And when I got used to the style (reading a 70s manga isn't always simple...) I realised I couldn't stop ^^
Have you ever read any of the series done by CLAMP? They are all good, and I would definitely recommend them. To name a few of their series: X/1999, Clover, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Chobits.
don't think i have, from what i've seen they're not really my type, at least not lately.

there's a new chapter of skip beat up if anyone's reading it
Power!! is amazing manga.
I've started Noblesse not too long ago. It's full colored, very graphic, and the humour is so weird it's killing me sometimes. I just begun, so I can't really tell you the stoty, but I's about a vampire who wake up in the 21th century and need to deal with cars, internet, high school...demons....
ooh Noblesse sounds fun :) i've heard the title before but had no idea what it was about
not sure what Power is i'll have to look it up
i had a few rec's for ao no exorcist so i've been reading that and hana yori dango which i just finished this morning. ao no exorcist isn't the type to fully suck me in to the point that i can read 10 chapters straight through before i know it, i usually only read 1 or 2 at a time. so i need to add another series to my list to keep me busy at work hahaha. i've tried a few times to get through vampire knight maybe i'll try to finish that off before i start a new one
It's a darker read but I highly recommend Urusawa Naoki 's works. I mean, he is often called the god of manga and I am one of those who agree. He wrote Monster, 20th/21st Century Boys, and Pluto. Those three are completely scanlated so no more waiting. But they are loooong. It might take you a day or two and you might want to read it during daytime because, frankly, it scared me sometimes. But they are epic. I swear.

For a lighter read, I highly recommend Angel Densetsu. It's hilarious! It's old and completely scanlated and the artwork is not "pretty" but it's one of my favorite mangas ever. It's about a pure, good guy who looks like a devil so he gets into these situations like he is thought to be a gangster and beating people up when in reality he was just trying to help the person.
ive recently read a manga entitle 14 sai no koi
there's only a few chapters for now..but its really sweet and gives you a warm feeling
also flat by aogiri natsu

Boku to Watashi no Henai Jijou
chihayafuru
heroine shikkaku
Sekai de Ichiban Daikirai
akuma to love song
Sensei wa Ore no Mono

and sorry that most of these are romance..i just cleaned my bookmarks folder
but anyway theyre good especially if u want some light materials :)
MARS by Souryo Fuyumi (My favorite of all time)
Cat Street by Kamio Youko
Kimi wa Pet (Love the manga and the Drama!)
Tokyo Crazy Paradise. (its better than it looks. Dont let the cover throw you off.)

Or you can go to this site and find any manga based on genre or category that suit your taste. It's like MDL but for manga. ^_^