but the overdubbing, fake looking armors, poor fight choreography and cheap cgi won't let me

Maybe try a more realistic one? Story of Ming Lan is great. 

I was thinking about this these days. I can handle historical dramas with some fantasy elements, but I do not understand xianxia dramas, and no amount of hype can make me watch Eternal Love or Love Between Fairy and Devil, even with good cinematography.

I think you're picking the wrong shows.

I see you have Nirvana in Fire  on hold - you do realise it's a show that starts truly shining well after 20 episodes (I'm not joking)? It's not something you can judge after 1 episode so you need to commit to it if you want to enjoy it. And do take into consideration that while it's a phenomenal show, it was released in 2015 and 10 years is a lot when it comes to production value.

If you want to watch something short and not gaudy, I recommend The Ancient Detective - it's low budget (and slightly cheap looking) but fairly well-choreographed, features a set of unique and morally-greyish characters and the plot won't fry your brain. 

For high-quality production and high-quality drama overall you might want to check out Joy of Life - but it's 46 episodes so a little on the longer side. 

Overdubbing? Why are you watching cdrama dubbed? I watch in mandarin with subtitles.

Also, fantasy cdrama that are just 4-6 years old have bad CGI, but it has improved a lot in more recent cdramas, such as:
Love Between Fairy and Devil   
The Blue Whisper: Part 1    & The Blue Whisper: Part 2   
Who Rules the World   

There are also many cdramas without such CGI, such as Story of Ming Lan. Also:
Love Like the Galaxy: Part 1    & Love Like the Galaxy: Part 2   
The Rise of Phoenixes   
Story of Yanxi Palace   
Arsenal Military Academy    (early 1900's era)

ArniA:

Overdubbing? Why are you watching cdrama dubbed? I watch in mandarin with subtitles.

Also, fantasy cdrama that are just 4-6 years old have bad CGI, but it has improved a lot in more recent cdramas, such as:
Love Between Fairy and Devil   
The Blue Whisper: Part 1    & The Blue Whisper: Part 2   
Who Rules the World   

There are also many cdramas without such CGI, such as Story of Ming Lan. Also:
Love Like the Galaxy: Part 1    & Love Like the Galaxy: Part 2   
The Rise of Phoenixes   
Story of Yanxi Palace   
Arsenal Military Academy    (early 1900's era)

All of the dramas you mentioned are dubbed. Most cdramas do not use the original actors' voices but are dubbed over with a voice actor to ensure uniformity in the accent. It is jarring when you are not used to it. 

I find them to be an acquired taste, especially xianxia/wuxia. Few years ago I dropped one Chinese drama after few minutes of the first episode because I didn't like how the CGI bird in one scene looked like, now I watch 50+ ep. shows with questionable CGI (and sometimes even acting) and enjoy every second of them. I just focus on the things I like (stories, characters, costumes, architecture) and kinda ignore/tolerate everything you mentioned. 

You don't even know they are dubbed if you don't know their real voice. Dub is good if done correctly. 

I agree CG sometimes looks rough but it kind expected from 50-60 episodes. But most of times, they do not bother me. What's matter is mood, atmosphere and costumes, they usually nailed it. Most importantly a story and character performance.

I really hate dubbing, but some dramas use the actor's own voice:

Ashes of love (I think main characters used their own voices)

The Starry Love (main characters used their own voices, others are dubbed I'm pretty sure..)

The Story Of Ming Lan (no dubbing)

I've fallen for you (live recorded for the most part)

bunnyfreakz:

You don't even know they are dubbed if you don't know their real voice. Dub is good if done correctly. 

I agree CG sometimes looks rough but it kind expected from 50-60 episodes. But most of times, they do not bother me. What's matter is mood, atmosphere and costumes, they usually nailed it. Most importantly a story and character performance.

dubbing sounds so generic. even if I don't know their real voice, I can tell right away..

takarahime:

I really hate dubbing, but some dramas use the actor's own voice:

Ashes of love (I think main characters used their own voices)

The Starry Love (main characters used their own voices, others are dubbed I'm pretty sure..)

The Story Of Ming Lan (no dubbing)

I've fallen for you (live recorded for the most part)

Love like the galaxy (I think the main characters dubbed their own voice)

Romance of tiger and rose (Zhao Lu Si used her own voice, ML is dubbed sadly..)

this is a reason I moved on to watch Korean saeguk dramas

older ones especially just have a way of getting you into the story and production quality seems higher on some

but sometimes I do miss historical C-dramas but with all the mass produced dramas, it's hard to find good ones with happy ending and no dubbing..