Hessa:

All award tag were removed, if you find some, please remove them.

I think the admins are planning to add an award section in each page so that you can see the awards.

Oh, I see, thank you very much for the information!! I'm looking forward to the new features!! :)

Do we really need "Costume" as a tag?? I mean, most of the times "Costume Drama" is an alternative way to call "Historical Dramas", so since there's already "Historical" as a genre, why add an irrelevant tag?? 

And of course the absence of "Historical" as a genre, directly means the drama is "Modern", taking place in "modern day", so there's no reason for these tags either!!

So I think all these tags have no reason of existence, and should probably be deleted

Costume

Historical Fantasy

Historical Fiction

Historical (tag)

Period

Period drama

Modern Day

Modern

You can downvote them, downvote will give each tag better scoring of their overall usefulness. 

Hi Admins & team, thanks for all the work that you do.

I really like the tag system and like others use it a lot to help find titles I think I'll enjoy watching. With this is mind I often come across a lot of tags that don't add value as a searchable tag, often because they are too vague or irrelevant to the cast, characters, story or production.

Here are some I think should be deleted (or at the very least, clarified to be more useful:

• funny character (No description) - A lot of characters are funny. This is not specific enough to add value.
  • Fluffy (Soft or cute) - Highly subjective what "fluffy" means and the description doesn't help.
  • Hurt & Comfort (No description)
  • Smart Protagonist  (Do not use this. Use "Smart Female Lead" or "Smart Male Lead") - the description suggests it's not used anymore.

Ones like these should be deleted because they are just words?

• aquarium (A transparent tank of water in which live fish and other water creatures and plants are kept. )
  • bicycle (A vehicle consisting of two wheels held in a frame one behind the other, propelled by pedals and steered with handlebars attached to the front wheel. )
  • diary (No description)
  • smartwatch (A mobile device with a touchscreen display, designed to be worn on the wrist. (Source: Google) )

A suggestion is to have a guideline where the description should describe how it relates to the Title, and not just a dictionary description of the word so that the above can be avoided! 

For example: Frozen body -> Human Cryogenics (Where the low-temperature preservation of humans is a major plot point to the story)

A more complicated/effort to build suggestion is add a category for tags so that they can be related to Story, Cast, Characters or Production (ie. Place it was filmed, Pre-produced)

Just some thoughts!

Guy Chases Girl First 

Guy Falls First

[Both can be deleted as Male Chases Female First already exists. Thanks]

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Brownie:

Guy Chases Girl First 

Guy Falls First

[Both can be deleted as Male Chases Female First already exists. Thanks]

If only we can merge them and add "Guy Chases Girl First" and "Guy Falls First" as synonyms, so when users try to use either of those, it would only show "Male Chases Female First".

Hessa:

If only we can merge them and add "Guy Chases Girl First" and "Guy Falls First" as synonyms, so when users try to use either of those, it would only show "Male Chases Female First".

That would be so cool if possible!! There are A LOT of tags that need merging!

Keep: Father Son Relationship

Delete: Father/Son

Hessa Volunteer Staff

Admins, please work on the tag system it is a mess and users (not staff) are going a changing description of tags. They change the description of some valid tags and include a message asking other users not to use a specific tags, all without even consulting the staff members.

My suggestion:

1. Update the genres. Link: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/suggestions/37142-update-the-genres?postid=843277#p843277
  2. New tags have to be requested on a separate page (not easily on the tag page, as it is now). Then the staff approve, edit (then approve), or reject it.
  3. Add a synonym/also known as box. We can use it for "World War 2". We can have "World War 2" as the main title and "World War II" in the synonym/also known as box. We can use it for the plural and singular tags. Instead of having two of each tag.
  4. Have only 1 main title and description for each language, instead of having many and people vote for it. Also, staff should approve or reject it, instead of having votes by random users/spammers that sometimes ruin the tags. We need to be able to edit them easily and fix mistakes instead of constantly having to constantly ask other people to vote so that we can fix the title or description of a tag.
  5. Admins, you know how we have the trailer panel? We can have a tag page.
Tag
 # of usages
Description
 Category 
Always marked as a spoiler
Death of Main Character
The main character dies either naturally or is killed.
CharacterYesEdit
Request Deletion
Disaster
A sudden event, such as an accident or a natural catastrophe, that causes great damage or loss of life.
ThemeNoEdit
Request Deletion

I really like Hessa's ideas.

Something I've been wanting to mention is somehow fixing the tag descriptions. I'm not talking about the descriptions themselves, but the length of them. I think the character count needs fixed. It really bothers me when I see a tag with a long description, and the description is just cut off because it is too long to fit on-screen. I know when you go to type a tag description, there is a character count, but that number must be too big. What is the point in having a limited number of characters, when you type so many out, the whole description doesn't show up anyway? I find descriptions very helpful sometimes, but when I'm reading and it just cuts off, it is bothersome.

I have a question, and I apologize for being wordy about it. I've seen a few times in this thread that idol names and companies are not to be used. As mentioned above, we don't tag for Grand Prize winners (the show OR the cast members), Oscar winners, management companies [some feel certain agencies contract with consistently amazing talent and help them choose great projects, etc.]. Nothing about cast members' other achievements is tagged.

The issue (well, 1 of 2): I'm constantly seeing pages using the names of idol GROUPS in tags (sometimes flooding them when a few groups have people in a drama etc), and naturally the fans of those groups vote up those tags even when the group has nothing to do with the plot. If someone likes an idol, they can just go to their profile pages and see what they're in, the same way we do for everybody else.

Unless a title is not ABOUT the group (BIGBANG The Movie), showing them AS MEMBERS OF the group (EXO Next Door) or made SPECIFICALLY FOR/to promote the group (ie ASTRO's Soul Plate thingy or maybe a better example would be the sci-fi multiple timeline one where P1H members are both cast members and have some odd music video thing in it), why do we feature their idol group as one of the tags?

I don't really understand why we'd put, in a section usually meant for themes, storyline/plot features, character details, some production details (filmed abroad, co-produced etc), anything about the idol cast for some role in it when nothing about non-idol cast members goes in tags. As someone pointed out, we don't put romance as both a genre and a tag... so why have an actor be represented as both a cast member and a tag just because they happen to also be idols? (I don't even know which cast members are in a band most of the time. I'm watching an actor in that performance, not an idol, just like when I'm on MDL, I'm here as an Asian drama/film fan, not any of the other hats I wear day to day.)

I don't see any sense in having a dozen dozen (144) titles lumped together just because an EXO member is on screen for any length of time. Their character might hum or sing, but their character isn't part of EXO-no one thinks Scarlet Heart Ryeo or 100 Days My Prince (both historical dramas in the top 20) are about EXO, but that's precisely why it shouldn't be a tag. It makes it more difficult to find titles that ARE about EXO when you have 144 to sift through because EXO fans are tossing their band name anywhere a member is spotted, not when the band is the focus. Of the top 20 EXO-tagged ones, only 1, EXO Next Door, is actually -about- them. Of the other 19, a member of theirs is an actor/cast member (and credited as such) for 18 and a credited guest for a game show for the 19th. (Honestly, I don't know that we -need- a tag of EXO for EXO Next Door since they do indeed star in it AND the name of it is a giveaway, too, so you don't even need to search the tags... maybe if a documentary that didn't actually feature them OR one where actors played them like some post-mortem documentaries do-I don't know of anything in the database that quite fits that description for idols at least-historical figures, sure, but idols probably not yet?).

I've yet to watch anything Girls' Generation was even a MINOR theme in, but 60 shows are tagged with it and of the first 20 only TWO make any sense to use that tag for: a documentary about their agency's bands, I AM, and a Survival TV show w/what appears to be several girl groups competing, Girls Planet 999.

RELATED DETAIL (2 of 2 I suppose):

There's also a lot of mixing up of idol actor/idol actress and idol-I don't know if people just add all of them any time there are idols in something, but even when the idol is playing a non-entertainer character, those get used and make it impossible to look for shows ABOUT idols, ie idol characters, which I've always thought was the point of tags, not... propping up music groups every time one of their members is in something whether as a lead, support, cameo, or favorite band of a character/poster on the wall. That's what their profile pages and fandom forums and wikis are for, right? But I'm old, so the evolution of tags into what feels senseless to me as a film and drama viewer vs a stan machine might make me the irrelevant one. (I know I'm irrelevant, but I don't think it makes me SUCH a snob to want tags to be about story lines, not cast members.)

Random PS: If they aren't playing idols in the show, it kind of seems like spitting on their acting career by clarifying "oh, it's an idol" through tags when that isn't exactly a glorifying thing to say most of the time-it's like an apology given in advance in case the performance is bad. ^.~

Can we get permission to purge the idol group names for content their members are just acting in, not the subject of? Do we also have any way to clear up the idol actor/actress and idol tags so we're not just tossing it up every time someone who's ever been an idol is in a film, drama, special, etc? I can post a pretty detailed list of K-pop ones just based on shows I know of, but without an actual list of tags that's a bit difficult to catch them all. It'd be much easier to just delete bad name tags entirely unless at some point there is a documentary that's ABOUT a group but doesn't actually feature them-they have CAST/GUEST credits for anything they're in, after all.

Idols and names should not be a tag. We will remove them upon request. 

PS Have you guys on the programming end put in any sort of blocked/banned tag list? It'd be super helpful for the 'clutter' kind of tags like this and the dozen BTS ones that I guess were there and removed at some point (plenty more BTS things show as tag options but don't have any results for now) and I figure it might exist since you could get some unsavory mess on here if you didn't have some basic filters for what could get added (though getting them approved or not works, it only does if you can block it from their menu once someone tries).

That amount of tags would probably impact large amount users. so we're going to put your request on hold till we figure out a better system.