WHAT IS A "FISH UPON THE SKY"?

The phrase "fish upon the sky" refers to an impossible love, a crush for someone who seems to be out of reach. In episode 6, Pi uses this metaphor to describe his feelings for Muang Nan: 

I'd like you to pay attention to that "star in the sea" (in Thai it's actually "star in the water") in Pi's speech, too. In episode 12, Muang Nan uses this metaphor to define his own impossible love. It's interesting because JittiRain wrote a spin-off novel dedicated to Muang Nan's story titled precisely "Star in the Water". JittiRain has stated that it won't be adapted for a series, but you can read a summary here, if you're curious.

Before these details were revealed in the show, I shared my own theory and made an analysis of some aspects of the series, explaining how they relate to the "fish upon the sky" theme. You can check them out below. I won't delete them because it would be a pity and it's still a valid interpretation (in some cases, you may need to replace the word "star" with "fish in the sky" in your head). At the end of the post you will also find some useful links ^^

MY THEORY AND ANALYSIS

Let's go back to the balcony scene in the first teaser for a moment. The song playing in the background is Getsunova's "Fish in the sky". It's a song about a fish who falls in love with a star and does everything in his power, even the impossible, to get to the sky. The chorus that we hear in the trailer goes like this: "But my heart doesn't listen, it still wants to resist and keep loving you. It resists even though you don't love me back, even though there's no way. But it's stubborn (...), like a fish who insists on going to the sky". It's pretty evident that they are using this metaphor to describe Pi's feelings for Muang Nan and Mork's feelings for Pi. Both Pi and Mork are quite invested in their romantic quests and they are determined to win the heart of their beloved "star". A "star", something -- someone -- that, for some reason, is hard to reach for us. 

This concept is strengthened by the cinematographic choices in the series. Here you have an example: Pi (the fish) is laying on his bed (the seabed), looking at a picture of Muang Nan (the star he is in love with) above him (up in the sky). The blue light helps recreating the "marine" setting.

Muang Nan as the "star": 

As I explained before, Mork is also a "fish". There is a conch shell-shaped lighting fixture in his house and there are blue spotlights lighting the exterior. It's as if he were living in the ocean.

Unless they have been playing us, it's pretty obvious that Mork is the one Pi has been texting the whole time (his voice, his profile...). In any case, whether it be Mork or another guy, he is still represented as a "fish" trying to reach his "star". In their scenes they tried to reproduce the marine setting as well, using the blue lights and the underwater sound.

The lyrics of the OST sung by Louis play with this metaphor and suggest that Pi (the fish) should stop chasing after Muang Nan (a star that's hard to reach) and should start looking at Mork (a fellow fish who already loves him): "Wishing for a fish to live in the sky, it’d be too hard to try"; "would it be better to love someone who already loves you? Try looking to your side and you’ll find who"; "you will see that someone here loves you"; "you don’t need to fly up in the sky", "stop hurting your neck by looking up high, love isn’t that far, it’s right here".

The "fish in the sky" theme continues also in the OST sung by Mix: "Hey, the weather up there is nice, isn’t it? I know someone like me can never reach you there"; "impossible to climb up the sky, no matter how much I do".

That being said, it seems that later in the series the characters are going to use the expression "fish upon the sky" to refer to the "star" of Getsunova's song. It's probably based on the idea that we are all "fish" -- the image of the "fish" simply symbolizes every human being. However, some fish seem out of our league, out of reach, far (like a star in the universe; or, in this case, like a fish who doesn't swim in the sea like us, but flies in the sky); that's when we say that we are in love with a "fish upon the sky": getting closer to them and winning them over is going to be a hard challenge. As you can see, whether the one we secretely admire is a "star" or a "fish" in the sky, the main concept is the same. 

SOME LINKS

Awesome analysis, I never paid attention to those little details like the starfish in Pi's room, or the shells in Mork's window.  And then the fact that Pi's and his phone friend discuss "underwater" because they are the two fish.

Thank you so much for sharing 

Pirado:

Awesome analysis, I never paid attention to those little details like the starfish in Pi's room, or the shells in Mork's window.  And then the fact that Pi's and his phone friend discuss "underwater" because they are the two fish.

Thank you so much for sharing 

I'm glad you appreciated it! I've been wanting to write this since the episode aired because I think that all these details deserve to be noticed by everyone ^^

"Perfectly explained..."

LOVE LOVE :)

JUST WOW, THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR ANALYSIS, ALL HAS SENSE NOW 

Thank you for explaining so beautifully. This is so cool *heart eyes*

Wow! Love the explanation. Although I got an idea on the title itself, but those information tidbits found in the series itself as well as the song was refreshing for me. Thanks! :-D

Nyx Medina:

Wow! Love the explanation. Although I got an idea on the title itself, but those information tidbits found in the series itself as well as the song was refreshing for me. Thanks! :-D

May I know what your original idea was? ^^

EccentricPigeonElf:

Thank you for this lovely explanation. I just recently got the meaning of the title after listening to the ost but I never did pay attention to the details that you have mentioned here and when I come to think of it, all of these things are connected. The director and the team has done a wonderful job in incorporating it in the series. Reminds me a bit of DBK where every scene had something blue in it.

I'm so happy to see that my analysis is being helpful! 

BTW, I also have my own interpretation of DBK's title (scroll down to the comments), if you are interested. Don't worry, it's very short ><

Foreigner:

May I know what your original idea was? ^^

When I read the title, my thinking was that it was something like an impossible situation like a fish in the sky.  An impossible love or loving someone  who is unattainable.

Nyx Medina:

When I read the title, my thinking was that it was something like an impossible situation like a fish in the sky.  An impossible love or loving someone  who is unattainable. 

Oh, so you did guess it right! I thought you got a different interpretation. Props to your intuition, btw! 

Yes. I just went literal since it was impossible for a fish to swim in the sky. :-) In any case, I did not notice the other things you mentioned in the scenes. I guess I am not that keen in observing some details like you. haha.Thanks also for sharing that OST of Louis. When I watched it, it indeed explained more about the title and what the story is about. It really is like a chain reaction. To Mork (fish), Pi is his star. On the other hand, to Pi (fish), Mueng nan is his star also. Love is indeed complicated. Loving this series so far. I only wish they would add more modern English songs like the one used in the last scene in Ep1. (crossing fingers)

Nyx Medina:

Yes. I just went literal since it was impossible for a fish to swim in the sky. :-) In any case, I did not notice the other things you mentioned in the scenes. I guess I am not that keen in observing some details like you. haha.Thanks also for sharing that OST of Louis. When I watched it, it indeed explained more about the title and what the story is about. It really is like a chain reaction. To Mork (fish), Pi is his star. On the other hand, to Pi (fish), Mueng nan is his star also. Love is indeed complicated. Loving this series so far. I only wish they would add more modern English songs like the one used in the last scene in Ep1. (crossing fingers)

Someone here on MDL once told me that I have eyes like a hawk ahah. I think I'm naturally observant -- I tend to notice details that people would normally ignore -- but I'm not really good at predicting outcomes (for example, in The Shipper I totally didn't expect them to reveal that Kim had always been dead). But you know what? It's actually good, because this way twists (almost) always end up being surprising for me ><

Anyway, I totally agree with you. In the end, we are all both "fish" and potential "stars". As you pointed out, Pi is a "fish" who is in love with a "star", but he himself is also a "star" for Mork. 

Ohh. I thought it was associated with the chinese beliefs of fish wanting to go to the sky and turning into dragons :) referring to Pi's transformation.

Foreigner:
Someone here on MDL once told me that I have eyes like a hawk ahah. I think I'm naturally observant -- I tend to notice details that people would normally ignore -- but I'm not really good at predicting outcomes (for example, in The Shipper I totally didn't expect them to reveal that Kim had always been dead < this is safe for you to read, but it could be a spoiler for other people). But you know what? It's actually good, because this way twists (almost) always end up being surprising for me ><

Anyway, I totally agree with you. In the end, we are all both "fish" and potential "stars". As you pointed out, Pi is a "fish" who is in love with a "star", but he himself is also a "star" for Mork.

OMG! I also loved The Shipper. At first, I found that series kind of light and fluffy (not to mention corny) but somehow it eventually turned into something more serious and a bit sad. I wish it would have a season 2 to get a better ending. ;-) Speaking of twists, another one which I did not expect was the one in TharnType (season 1). :-D

Loving also the new MV of Mix (the one used in the dancefloor kissing scene of MorkPi). It also adds more meaning to the title. Loving this series more as it progresses. :-)