10th Challenge completed!

For moonchild , I looked at your likes and dislikes and decided to recommend a short sweet slice of life that you can watch as fast or slow as you like: One Day Off. I found it heartwarming and introspective, and as the weather (where I live at least) is cold and murky, the warm friendships developed and stories learned as she adventures around a bit randomly are cozy and comforting. It is also quite short, just under 4 hours across 8 episodes. :) Oh, some parts (especially Jeju Island) will potentially make you hungry.

Open to all recs under ~20 hours for the end of the year if anyone still wants to participate! Only general requirement for me is I strongly dislike dubbing-mouths need to be in sync or I will scream at it! Any genre' style, etc cool. Doesn’t need to be from my list at all. My PTW is a mess of things added to track when they came out, even before cast was set for most, then mostly forgotten about, good and bad alike!!

I accept Selbee ‘s challenge to watch Tsuiraku JK to Haijin Kyoshi! (I would happily take the Thai length ones, too.) :) I think I added this because of the feeds, actually, cause the first review of it is very familiar but I have total amnesia on the plot or leads so must’ve just clicked it cause people were going crazy for it. (Not sorry for posting, but I will nevertheless apologize if my MD posts hijacked your feeds excessively in any way you wished they would not ?!)

Rating: 9! This was so Japanese it made me want to binge a hundred more eps of it. It doesn’t need a second season, but I wouldn’t mind a movie of the graduation for pure fan service reasons. ☺️The lead constantly kept making me feel like I was watching Ryu Deok Hwan from a decade ago… it was wild to see someone with such a similar set of expressions and overall look to how RDH was in his 20s! I love how it is so self aware and tosses creepy ideas up on their heads and everything is a nonstop trick. The female lead is one of my favorite smart, smart aleck, too, ones in a long while. It had a distinct edge over other jdramas in how smoothly it transitioned and how very top notch the camera work was. Manga/webtoon/other comic adaptations are a major hit or miss, but this one was adapted really brilliantly for the screen… instead of adapting the way of speaking by fleshing out short tight phrases, they found a way to make the character (the FL) use it as a trademark without it ever sounding unrealistic. It fits this high schooler really well. I also love them focusing in on her eyes. She is both really expressive and of course quite beautiful (but they made her effectively seem really gloomy, too, with makeup, camerawork, and her acting combined)… I’m gonna miss these characters. They really are wonderful. The humor is right up my alley! ❤️Thank you!❤️ I will put Miracle of Teddy Bear higher in my queue with your rec. (I didn’t realize its eps were that long. Most Thai dramas I’ve seen were shorter.) ?

I took part in this challenge way back when and then forgot about it...life, you know how it is!

Anyway, I'd like to participate again....

So here's a recommendation for @ElBee

I looked through your impressive PTW list! And I found a few gems there: a couple of thai and a couple of japanese dramas. Since thai are rather long (12/16eps) I would like to recommend watching  Tsuiraku JK to Haijin Kyoshi. It is short and irreverent and funny with quirky and cheeky characters, it's pure japanese! I am surprised you had not seen it yet considering the number of posts it garnered on Feeds before the MD Cult took over....  (sorry, I am a kind of feeds semi lurker!LOL)

I hope you like it!

Recommendations welcome!

EDIT 1 to @ElBee Don't worry about hijacking the feeds: I found the whole thing highly entertaining and the banter between the Cult members and the members of the Resistance was a blast and I am going to miss it....The thai drama I wanted to recommend was .The Miracle of Teddy Bear but it is  16x90min long so outside your length demand but it is actually a surprising drama, a savant mix of lakorn, bl and fantasy, very angsty to boot, which works perfectly well together! If you ever have time, I hope you take a look: it is by far the best BL I have seen, and I've seen a lot!

EDIT 2 @disdoortion The reason you haven't found it on my lists is because it is a historical horror: two genres I never watch. Nevertheless, I accept the challenge: Kingdom and zombies and sleepless nights: Here I come!!!! LOL (I have already tried watching Hometown Cha Cha Cha and dropped it after 5 episodes.)

EDIT 3: Kingdom ... WOW! Amazing drama! Finely acted, superbly written, highest production values. The plot is complex and thought provoking! 9/10

Challenge 2

Hello Selbee,

Going through your list I have not found Kingdom, so I'll recommend it to you. It's one of my all time favs so I hope you like it. There is also a second season, which is even better than the first one in my opinion. (Thriller, Horror, Historical, Political; approx 6 hours)

If you would like to watch something else I also recommend Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha. (Comedy, Romance, Life, Drama; approx. 18 hours)

Any genre (except anything with time manipulation) and any country is welcomed as long as it's under 12 hours!

I accept Saygo's challenge to watch Oh No! Here Comes Trouble! Thank you for reminding me of this drama! I wanted to watch it when it aired but I never came around to do so.

Rating: 10

Thoughts: Thank you so much for reminding me of this drama! This was right up my alley... the friendship, the characters, the mystery it's just so good. I honestly didn't want it to end. I would watch 10 more seasons of this.

9th Challenge = Complete ^_^   Sorry for the super late response. I don't know why i put it off so long and it slipped my mind. 

Recommendation For    disdoortion          - I think you should watch Oh No! Here Comes Trouble. I literally just watched it and think it is a good blend of comedy, drama,mystery,  thriller and friendship (Your top genres/tags according to you r stats ). It surprisingly has a lot of heart.It was already on your PTW and i just want more people to watch it lol.

>>Badge----Image

Recommendation From        cdramaqueen            -I accept  the recommendation to watch The Blood of Youth.

Status- Completed(Ep 40/40)

Rating- 8.5

Thoughts- I actually really liked this and still internally debating whether I should give this a higher score. It had everything i liked from friendship to fights for the throne. This was definitely my kind of wuxia and has reignited my interest in the genre(planning on watching Mysterious Lotus Casebook soon too). I think I even found a new favourite actor Lin Xue Yi and loved his charater here. Thank you for recommending  because i would have missed out while it  gathered dust in my ptw.

Challenge #1 | Challenge #2

I recommend Saygo to watch The Blood of Youth. It's on your PTW and it's such a good drama. It presents to the story of the younger generation trying to make a name for themself while getting involved in the messes of the previous generation. The fight scenes are very over-the-top anime style but somehow, it really fits this drama and quality is A+. 

Open for recommendations! Only request is that it is a Chinese drama. Other than that, all genres and all lengths are welcomed! 

Thanks for the recommendation ElBee! 

Rating: 8/10 

I really enjoyed this drama! This mystery drama kept me on my toes and it seemed as if everyone was both guilty and innocent at the same time! However, I do think that they could have spent more time on the older policemen and I also felt as if they took the easy way out with the ending. The whole right vs. righteous conflict was really interesting but not resolved in a satisfactory way. 

11th We Watch 2023 Award Ceremony
For the 11th We Watch 2023 Award Ceremony, we have a total of 6 badges to be awarded, including a Gold badge and 2 Silver badges. November is probably a busy month as everyone gets busy with wrapping work and studies for the year.

Gold Badge
•   
Tanii for recommending Semantic Error which has been rated 10/10

Silver Badges
•   
Gummy_Marshmallow for recommending To the Moon and Back which has been rated 9/10
•   
disdoortion for recommending A Murderous Affair in Horizon Tower which has been rated 9/10

Bronze Badges
•   
zen violet for recommending Signal which has been rated 8.5/10
•   
Saygo for recommending Gannibal which has been rated 8/10
•   
2.857e-7 for recommending Designated Survivor: 60 Days which has been rated 8/10

Hall of Fame
11 Customised Badges
Tanii  (1x Gold, 6x Silver, 4x Bronze)
10 Customised Badges
Giuca  (1x Silver, 9x Bronze)
8 Customised Badges
Saygo (1x Gold, 3x Silver, 4x Bronze)
7 Customised BadgesElbee (1x Gold, 4x Silver, 2x Bronze)
6 Customised Badges
dearuto (2x Gold, 4x Bronze)
5 Customised Badges
novastar (3x Silver, 2x Bronze), Gummy_Marshmallow (2x Silver, 3x Bronze)
4 Customised Badges
jenn (1x Gold, 1x Silver. 2x Bronze), Xiao Zi (2x Silver, 2x Bronze), moonchild (1x Silver, 3x Bronze)

This month, 
Tanii collected a Gold badge and leapt forward to the top of the Hall of Fame with a total of 11 Customised Badges.  Saygo added 2 more badges and advanced in the Hall of Fame with 8 Customised Badges. Gummy_Marshmallow and jenn also respectively collected one more badge this month and advanced in the Hall of Fame with a total of 5 and 4 Customised Badges respectively. Congratulations to these challengers!

Edited on Nov 25th, 2023, 0915H (UTC) for dark mode compatibility
Announcement: Housekeeping for year end

Below are some “housekeeping” matters as we draw closer to the end of 2023 and We Watch Challenge 2023:

1. Thank you for your great support, We Watch 2023 Challenge will end on 31 Dec 2023, 2359H (UTC), and transit to We Watch 2024 Challenge.

2. We Watch 2024 Challenge will move to a new forum under “General Asia”. This is to avoid this challenge being swiftly dropped to the nth page by the other rapid -fire forum games. New challenge posts in 2024 should only be made on the new 2024 challenge forum.

3. To facilitate the transition, the last challenger to recommend the final drama for the 2023 challenge will be auto ported over to be the first challenger to be recommended a drama in the 2024 challenge.

4. To provide adequate time for challengers in December to complete your recommended dramas, this We Watch Challenge 2023 forum will continued to be tracked till 15 Jan 2024, 2359H (UTC). After this date/time, this forum will not be tracked.

5. If you are not confident of watching recommended drama by 15 Jan 2024. please consider taking part in the 2024 Challenge when it starts.

6. If you have not started watching the recommended drama, do use the year end / winter break to start and complete the recommended drama. Remember, you have until 15 Jan 2024, 2359H (UTC) to complete the drama and update your post.

7. If you have already watched the recommended drama, do update your challenge post with your rating and a short take on why you like/ not like about the drama, for count towards the challenge tally.

8. The final We Watch 2023 Challenge Award ceremony will be held on the weekend after 15 Jan 2024, 2359H (UTC).

9. Subsequently, the award ceremonies for We Watch 2024 will be held in the 2nd weekend of each month (instead of the last weekend of each month) to avoid various monthly challenge feeds/posts crowding out the award ceremony feed/post.

11th Challenge complete!

For cdramaqueen, I am going to recommend what was recommended to me not long ago because it has stuck with me: A Murderous Affair in Horizon Tower! I did take a break to sleep (because I wanted my brain to actually register what it was enjoying, not just have my eyes open but data processing centers closed, locked and bolted up! ?), but apart from that and basic life sustaining activities, I binged this almost straight through! It is much less a traditional whodunnit story and goes in depth with character and relationship stories, none of them needless filler from my memory/in my opinion. I loved the twists and seeing the investigators actually take the time to dig and us seeing it unravel in a way that felt completely logical from their perspective. I also love the style of direction in this one! :) 

Open for recs! Absolutely does not need to be on my PTW! Throw me anywhere you think I might like! :) Only requirement is no dubbing and ideally keep it under or around 20 hours (depends on how fast someone replies, though-I just want to finish by around Christmas since I reliably have more, not less, work during the Christmas and New Year holiday season). 

I accept Bilus challenge to watch A Tale of Thousand Stars!

Rating: 9! It has been a while since a show made me so curious what the comments would say (I usually avoid them because they get hostile&immature too much!), but as much as I understand why people can be “troped out” (it is part of why I love having random stuff thrown at me that is outside my usual fare… like going from snacking on dry stale popcorn to having rich cookies baked in front of you!)… aside from the initial setup feeling a bit “ehh” (not super convincing), once they were in the village, rose-tinted glasses happily covered my eyes and I loved it!

I especially appreciate this being much smoother in filming style and transition than so many Thai dramas that became tried and died failed viewings and especially, despite it being verrry obvious, the product placement not feeling so absurdly out of place aside from the tackiest cups for instant coffee I’ve seen in a long time lol. 

The acting had some lackluster bits, but the story was compelling enough (and the friends constantly taunting the green giant were endearing) that I completely am ignoring the “definitely a rookie, doesn’t quite know how to show nuanced emotional changes yet” cute youthful lead. The other‘s character was kinda awkward, but… story won out. It was far enough outside my norm to really just smile all the way through it even when my brain was picking up things that were a bit lacking. This may send me down a rabbit hole thanks to the “Sky” titles that are anthologies following up on this and other series. 

1st challenge
2nd challenge completed!

Hi ElBee! My recommendation for you is A tale of thousand stars! Hope you like it as much as I did.
image link

I accept moonchild recommentation to watch Manner of Death! This drama was in my PTW for a long time, so nothing better than to finally watch it  for the challenge! I have a really good feeling about this one - I'm ready to the steamy romance as well, so let's gooo :D

Rating: 9.5/10

Sorry for being so late! Just finish and wow, I luv It!! Enjoyed every moment, the characters are amazing, the storyline is just perfect! Thank you JulyMoon for recommending me such a good drama! 

Completed my fifth challenge and think one more should be manageable. xD 

I recommend Bilu the drama "Manner of Death". It's a great BL Thai Drama (14 episodes) with actors that have amazing chemistry and a suspenseful story. Hope you like some steamy romance. :)

I accept disdoortion's recommendation for Oh No! Here Comes Trouble. Looking forward to this drama, it piqued my interest right away when I first saw it. :)

Rating: 8.5 I enjoyed it, but sometimes I wish they would've gone deeper and explored the plotlines more. End was good, but felt rushed. Overall a solid watch and I liked it. 

Challenge 3

Hello moonchild,

after browsing through your PTW I found Oh No! Here Comes Trouble. It got recommended to me and I absolutely loved it! (Mystery, Comedy, Drama, Supernatural; approx. 12 hours)

I also found Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo on your PTW, if you want to watch something else than the initial recommendation, I recommend this one too. (Comedy, Romance, Life, Sports; approx. 17 hours)

Any genre (except anything with time manipulation) and any country is welcomed as long as it's under 12 hours!

I accept Saygo's challenge to watch The Killer's Shopping List! Thank you, this one looks like fun! As for D.P., I want to watch it for 2 years already but I don't think I'm currently in the right mindset for it, so I'm gonna go with the more wholesome option.

Rating: 8

Thoughts: I love the characters and their dynamic with each other, also that they stood up for each other, truly wholesome. (I also adore 'Fish', trans rep done right and I'm so glad they didn't make her a criminal in any sense.) Sadly the murder mystery was a bit lacking, I knew who did it since the first episode (If I remember right they introduced every character in connection with the supermarket except the murderer, would have maybe been better if they introduced him through the supermarket too). All in all I'm glad I watched it. Thank you for the recommendation!

10th Challenge = Complete ^_^   

Recommendation For    disdoortion          - I think you should watch D.P.  or The Killer's Shopping List. They are both short and good in different ways. D P is a must watch that is on the  serious side ,critically acclaimed and already on your  PTW list. The Killer's shopping list is a 'wholesome' murder mystery with a slice of life feel.

>>Badge----Image

Recommendation From    ElBee           -I choose and accept Mad for Each Other.

Status- Completed (Ep 13/13) 

Rating- 8.5

Thoughts- I actually enjoyed this. It is comically serious. The leads are such an unconventional couple for a kdrama in so many ways.All the character dynamics and shenanigans were great. I likely never would have  thought to watch this show if not for the recommendation. I did not like the FL actress in Cafe Minamdang but she was good here.  It turned out to be  unexpectedly funny and wholesome. I'm not going to lie the last two episodes gave me whiplash but it still is  one of the best quirky romcoms i have seen.

12th Challenge completed!

Biting the bullet one last time (well, I think it’ll be the last, but maybe not)…

For Saygo, it took a while to find short titles you hadn’t seen of the ones that came to mind (quite an overlap in our tastes, even the way out there stuff, lol), and while one in your PTW was considered, too, I thought I should offer up a few you haven’t seen. They are wildly different stories and have very different tones/feels, but they are all under 10 hours (8.5, 7.5, 6.5 total hours), easy to binge before the year is up. ? Take your pick Depending on your mood/current tolerance levels!

Birthcare Center (2020 Kdrama) centers around postpartum care and is a dark comedy slice of life, wholly character driven with humor that is verrrry on the nose in terms of new moms’ experiences, some intensely uncomfortable ones thrown straight in the faces of viewers. Birthcare Center Image Link

Mad for Each Other (2021 Kdrama) calls itself a comedy with romance, kind of boring on the surface, but it begins with two leads who are deeply troubled, living with immense psychological pain (its short length makes it hard to go beyond the leads in terms of character development), and that is where it really shined to me. There is, though, plenty of comedy, but that definitely isn’t all it offers. Mad for Each Other Image Link

Life (2007 Jdrama) is one of the most intense, sometimes hard to watch dramas centered around bullying. It doesn’t hold back on the violence, so if that is triggering for you, definitely skip it. It is definitely something to be in the right mood for. You might need a dose of Higuma after it. ?Life Image Link 

Open for recs, only requirements are no dubbing and since the year’s closing, keep it under or around 20 hours! Ideally nothing deeply political since my jaw is recovering from the last intensely political one I watched. ? Got something that hasn’t received enough attention/love that deserves another pair of eyes watching it?

Saygo, I am really glad you liked Mad for Each Other! It was a bit of a gamble, but I trusted my memory of it; the FL is probably the single most “hit and miss and hit and miss all over again” actress for me across 7 the main roles I’ve seen her in (I also really disliked her role in Minamdang—I would’ve assumed she is the worst lead actress on that peninsula if all her roles were that stiff and unnatural feeling, the editing choices making it so much worse).

I looked at your recs for me and am going with Oh No! Here Comes Trouble — like you said, I haven’t had enough exposure to Taiwanese dramas so good ones are always welcome! Gannibal is on hold until its second season comes out because even though it is right up my alley, I am not wanting a cliffhanger ending for an indefinite period of time (are you paying attention, “dear” Disney+ execs?)! ? I am waiting for my mood to fit Gaus Electronics since I think I will like it but can’t enjoy office settings as much when I am overworked/buried in paperwork (which is every winter for healthcare workers).

Status: Completed! 8/10 for this one. It took a few tries to get through the first episode because the editing could have been much better and the writing was a bit iffy, but I came back and got through it and got used to the style even though it felt choppy and the writing made it really unclear what or even who the story was about for longer than it should have. Took til eps 5&6 to really get fully invested, but once I hit that halfway point, it was really fun. I LOVE the actor who played the male lead. His expressiveness made the show, and his mother was a fantastic character. I didn’t like the FL quite a few times, but I really appreciated the self-aware nature of the writing and them being direct when expressing someone’s shortcomings or poor behavior (ie seeming victims of crimes as cases, not people, and in doing so failing to see the suffering of the ones left behind and saying some pretty horrible words… I like that they all grew (ironically, the 17 year old needed the least character growth and was more in need of some decision making than actual maturation that the other two-who acknowledged they should’ve been more mature but that the 17 year old was better than them at both solving cases and taking care of people than the doc to be and cop-the dialogues expressing their awareness/self-reflection were among my favorites). The cases at the end were especially touching.

11th Challenge = Complete ^_^   

Recommendation For     ElBee        - I'm going to give you three options that i consider sleeper hits. Are you in the mood for...

• Oh No! Here Comes Trouble-A good blend of comedy, drama,mystery,  thriller and friendship. It surprisingly has a lot of heart and is a 2023 hidden gem (12 Eps )You have not seen that many Taiwanese shows according to your watchlist so this might be a good one to pick. I feel like more people should watch this.
  • Gannibal- A J-drama slow , sinister and eerie underrated  mystery thriller.(7 Eps)
  • Gaus Electronics- K-drama romance, fun and eccentric characters. I  feel like this is an underrated light and fun office romance drama. It might be a nice comic relief from the angst/darker  stuff.

>>Badge----Image

Recommendation From    LunaNoir           -I accept The Boy Next Door rec

Status- Completed (Ep 15/15)

Rating- 8/10

Thoughts- I have been meaning to watch this but never took the time. I quite enjoyed the comedic bromance shenanigans. It a fun ,light and easy watch.