Sorry if this isn't a lot...

~

I suppose my enjoyment for historical dramas/movies stemmed from the fact that I've always liked historical novels.

My first historical drama was Gu family book... I think-

For sub-genres: fantasy & tragedy (in small doses)

Countries: Mostly S. Korea & China

Plot: I do like romance plots, but anything is fine as long as it's enjoyable.

~

Thanks for the welcomes~

it doesn't have to be alot; just a way to introduce yourself :)  Thanks! 

I liked Gu Family book, too!

hoshthegoat:

Me too! XD  And welcome~

hoshthegoat:

Sorry if this isn't a lot...

~

I suppose my enjoyment for historical dramas/movies stemmed from the fact that I've always liked historical novels.

For sub-genres: fantasy & tragedy (in small doses)

Countries: Mostly S. Korea & China

Plot: I do like romance plots, but anything is fine as long as it's enjoyable.

~

Thanks for the welcomes~

Welcome to the club! Hope you enjoy the experience of sharing our love for historicals :)

Nienna:

it doesn't have to be alot; just a way to introduce yourself :)  Thanks! 

I liked Gu Family book, too! 

Ahhhh I see haha and you're welcome ^^

I loved Wol Ryung and Seo Hwa's story even though it was really sad... I wish they could of had a happier story ;;

awkward potato:

Me too! XD  And welcome~

It was a pretty good start haha and thanks for the welcomes ^^

WandereR:

Welcome to the club! Hope you enjoy the experience of sharing our love for historicals :)

Thank you for the welcomes and I will ^^

Welcome, hoshthegoat!  I placed Gu Family Book in my PTW not too long ago.  Mm... I sorta read your spoiler tag now I hesitate.  LOL

xinya:

I think very few popular Chinese dramas qualified for the "historical" category, since many are xianxia/wuxia or set in fictional dynasties. Almost all sageuks are set in real dynasties and I'd say most have some basis in actual historical figures/events, even if they're very inaccurate portrayals. So overall the "historical" category was very Korea-dominated (4/5 Korean) and the "period" category was very China-dominated (4/5 Chinese). It would be interesting to see how things would have turned out if the categories had been more evenly mixed.

Most popular Chinese dramas are historical  : story of yanxi palace, three kingdoms, scarlet heart, ruyi’s royal love and more

Empress Weiyoung:
Most popular Chinese dramas are historical  : story of yanxi palace, three kingdoms, scarlet heart, ruyi’s royal love and more

Yanxi Palace made the top 5 on the "historical" list (I'm not saying there are none that fall in the opposite categories). Three Kingdoms and Scarlet Heart are old, which means not as many people have watched them, so they aren't going to do as well in this type of voting list. Ruyi's Royal Love seems kinda middling popularity. Like I've heard of it, but haven't heard a lot of hype. In my observation, a significant majority of the Chinese dramas that are really popular don't fall in the "historical" category (e.g. The Untamed, Nirvana in Fire, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms). You can look back at the voting lists and see that the "historical" category had a lot more Korean dramas and the "period" category had a lot more Chinese ones.

xinya:

Yanxi Palace made the top 5 on the "historical" list (I'm not saying there are none that fall in the opposite categories). Three Kingdoms and Scarlet Heart are old, which means not as many people have watched them, so they aren't going to do as well in this type of voting list. Ruyi's Royal Love seems kinda middling popularity. Like I've heard of it, but haven't heard a lot of hype. In my observation, a significant majority of the Chinese dramas that are really popular don't fall in the "historical" category (e.g. The Untamed, Nirvana in Fire, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms). You can look back at the voting lists and see that the "historical" category had a lot more Korean dramas and the "period" category had a lot more Chinese ones.

well said, xinya!

xinya:

I gave a look at ur account and ur just bashing cdramas with no reason while uplifting the Korean ones. Saying that Three kingdoms aka one of the most watched chinese drama in the world  isn't popular lol such a ridiculous claim

Yu Sifeng:

I gave a look at ur account and ur just bashing cdramas with no reason while uplifting the Korean ones. Saying that Three kingdoms aka one of the most watched chinese drama in the world  isn't popular lol such a ridiculous claim

Lol 

I thought the Hall of Fame is a really good idea to provide some hype and discussion topics for the HDC forum. And a great deal of efforts have been put in to create and organise the lists! Thank you so much Nienna for your great efforts and virgievigie for helping out! 

Below are some suggestions for the next Hall of Fame for consideration:

1. Consider having the Hall of Fame once or at most twice a year, so that new dramas aired every 6-12 months have a chance to make it into the list. Any frequency more than twice a year may bring down the prestige of this Hall of Fame.
  2. Confusion of Period and Historical dramas. Very often, ancient-costume (古装) dramas are taken as Historical dramas, though there are sub-categories based on real historical figures/events vs entirely fictional. Also a Period drama can refer to dramas set in the early republic period (after the dynasty periods e.g. Joseon/Goryeo, Qing/Ming/Tang etc), where modern clothings and hairdo are worn. Perhaps having longer title (e.g. HDC: Ancient-costume based on real historical figures/events and HDC: Ancient-costume that are entirely fictional) can help clarify? Also clarifying the distinctions and providing links to the other list should help as well.
  3. Consider sticking to a voting format and make the list format consistent to the voting format for credibility. For the first Hall of Fame, the voting format had to change due to unforeseen circumstances. If changes are needed, it will be good to edit the description of the lists with edit dates included to indicate the changes made. The inconsistencies i observed include:
    1. Round 1: Initial 75 titles
      • Any particular reason to limit to 75 titles?
      • Why not lift the limit entirely?
    2. Round 2: Initial 50 titles, but the Round 2 list indicated 25 titles from Round 1 making into Round 2 
      • The HDC Historical List was set to showing "Top 40" and actual list has only 20 titles don't sync with the supposedly 25 titles.
      • The link in HDC Period Round 2 was to HDC Period Round 1, instead of HDC Historical Round 1.
    3. Round 3: Initial 25 titles, but the Round 2 description indicated 10 titles will make it to Round 3, and Final Round 3 list indicated 5 titles only
      • The lists were set to showing "Top 10" is confusing
  4. Consider providing sufficient time (e.g. 2 weeks) for voting for each round, and indicate the voting period clearly in the description. And do some publicity via feeds at the start, a week later, and finally a day before the close of the voting period. It's a Hall of Fame, so should try to get more voters to participate.
  5. When voting is closed for one round, consider updating the description of the list for that round that voting has closed and include a link to the next voting round.
  6. Consider using "Round 3 (Final)" instead of "Final Round" so that it is clear the Final Round is Round 3, narrowed down after 2 rounds of voting.

Btw, i am puzzled why Mr Queen was neither in the Top 10 nor Top 5 of Round 2, but made it to the Final Round?

Good work again, Nienna, for pulling off the inaugural Hall of Fame (for any club)!

Yu Sifeng:

On MDL Three Kingdoms has 2,191 watchers. Compare that to The Untamed (68,190), Nirvana in Fire (20,680), or Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms (35,621). It might be a very popular drama in China, but clearly not many MDL users have watched it compared to newer dramas. As it was MDL users who were voting on these lists, the popularity on MDL is what was relevant to the discussion.

The observation that the "historical" list had a lot of Korean dramas while the "period" list had a lot of Chinese dramas is an observation (you are free to go look at the lists and I think you'll find that my observation is accurate), not a value judgement.