1. Do you dislike them, not mind them or like them? Why?

Spoilers never bothered me. The biggest reason is that I'd rather know ahead of time if I'll enjoy something or will I'll be wasting my time. It's entertainment to me and I rather not waste time on something I won't enjoy.

2. Have you encountered many spoilers in the comment section which aren't properly concealed?

Yes, but I go in aware that there likely there somewhere. Most are small spoilers, but occasionally there's something big that may get revealed.

3. Do you read reviews with spoilers on them? Have you read a review that claims there are no spoilers only for you to find many?

I go in believing reviews are going to reveal something, inadvertently or not. I read reviews purpousely with the believe that they will reveal something to me, which is why I read them when I choose to.

4. Which do you think are the most common types of spoilers people give?

People progress through things at different speeds, and many people don't immediately think of that.  It's why I think many spoilers are accidental. You have people discussing something, and someone else comes along that's not as far along as they are.

5. What are your thoughts regarding adding spoiler-like tags to a show? Such as: tragic-ending, amnesia, childhood connection, etc. (thanks @Zardua_ for this point).

I think it's a good idea. Keep the tag but allow the individual the choice whether to reveal it or not.

6. Anything else you can think of regarding the topic is welcome!

While I understand why people don't want to be spoiled, I've seem too many over react to being spoiled. With that said, there is a middle ground and I would like to see more people use the spoiler tag to hide details. Also, there does need to be a reasonable expectation of time of when something is a spoiler and when you can freely talk about something.

Thank you very much for your input, @Echo. 

Echo:
People progress through things at different speeds, and many people don't immediately think of that. It's why I think many spoilers are accidenta

I hadn't thought of this, but you're right. Although perhaps the best way to avoid this would be to always mark relevant information as spoilers. 

Echo:
While I understand why people don't want to be spoiled, I've seem too many over react to being spoiled.

Indeed, and that's precisely why this article is proving difficult to write. Everyone regards spoilers differently, so I'm trying to find that middle ground where everyone can agree.

Echo:
Also, there does need to be a reasonable expectation of time of when something is a spoiler and when you can freely talk about something.

What would you consider a reasonable time when people can freely talk about something? With a drama which has been out for a while, maybe? A 3-4 year old drama, perhaps?

I've always liked spoilers, it doesn't bother me or take away any enjoyment for me to know what's going to happen. And I do like longer dramas, so going into a drama that has 100+ episodes, I'd rather know if I'm going to hate it or not. I usually just stick to 'is it a happy ending?' and 'who are the main leads?( for some longer dramas they can not meet til episode 20 so it can be hard to tell)'

2. Have you encountered many spoilers in the comment section which aren't properly concealed?

Not many. I think this happens while a drama is currently airing. People will just go into the comment section and say 'OMG CAN YOU BELIEVE BLAH BLAH BLAH' probably thinking everyone is watching them as they are airing like they are not realizing they're spoiling anyone. I don't watch dramas until they're done airing so those comments tend to be either further down the page or finally put behind a spoiler. But since I don't mind spoilers I will say I don't remember seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there, because it doesn't personally bother me I might not notice them like someone who is really bothered by them might. Also sometimes people are so sensitive to spoilers they may say something's a spoiler when it really isn't, it has nothing to do with the plot of the show or the tone or anything, like if someone were to say in the comments 'did you guys see the creepy clown painting in X's house?' It's not a spoiler because it's not integral to the plot, it's just about the set dressing. Unless there's a safe behind there, or the characters look up to it and start talking about grandpa and his love of clowns, that is when it would be a spoiler.

3. Do you read reviews with spoilers on them? Have you read a review that claims there are no spoilers only for you to find many?

I read most reviews whether there are spoilers or not, because the reviewer might have a different insight to the drama that isn't being discussed in the comments and isn't in the synopsis. I think that all of the reviews that I have read that say they are spoiler free are spoiler free, but again I'm not bothered by it so I might not notice it.  

The ones I generally see are: 'X is Y's dad,' 'revenge starts on episode XX,' 'Wedding is episode XX,' 'I can't believe X died'

What are your thoughts regarding adding spoiler-like tags to a show? Such as: tragic-ending, amnesia, childhood connection, etc. (thanks @Zardua_ for this point).

As long as people can opt into seeing them or not seeing them so people who don't want to get spoiled don't have to get spoiled by the top of the page I'd like it.

Thank you very much for your input, @squeakyelle! 

squeakyelle:
And I do like longer dramas, so going into a drama that has 100+ episodes, I'd rather know if I'm going to hate it or not.

It's interesting that this seems to be the norm for long drama viewers. I haven't tried watching a drama that's longer than 32 episodes (30 minutes episodes, though), so I wonder if people are more unwilling to tolerate spoilers in shorter dramas.

squeakyelle:
I think this happens while a drama is currently airing. People will just go into the comment section and say 'OMG CAN YOU BELIEVE BLAH BLAH BLAH' probably thinking everyone is watching them as they are airing like they are not realizing they're spoiling anyone.

For sure. I think that I have been spoiled things more when I'm watching a currently airing drama than a drama that's been out for some time. And you might be correct. Perhaps people are so excited by what they just saw, they don't realize that their comment can be perceived as a spoiler for someone who hasn't started watching or hasn't caught up to the latest episode yet.

squeakyelle:
Also sometimes people are so sensitive to spoilers they may say something's a spoiler when it really isn't, it has nothing to do with the plot of the show or the tone or anything,

Yes, and unfortunately that's one of the difficulties in writing this article. While I myself may not perceive a vaguely worded statement such as "That was a sad episode" as a spoiler. Many others would. The more I look into it and the more responses I get here, the more it hits home that defining a spoiler is easier said than done, since it's --at the end of the day-- very subjective.

squeakyelle:
'revenge starts on episode XX,' 'Wedding is episode XX,'

I kid you not when I read this, I kept thinking I haven't seen those yet. And later that day (yesterday) I stumbled upon one of those lol. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

1. the only time i personally get upset about spoilers is when it spoils a big plot twist  when it's kind of the whole point of the show, like Circle or the 6th sense. however there are a lot of people who don't like them at all so i think posting any kind of spoiler in a community like this w/out properly hiding or tagging it is rude. 

comment section is usually ok, but i see spoilers on the feeds a few times a week. 

3.Do you read reviews with spoilers on them? Have you read a review that claims there are no spoilers only for you to find many? i only read reviews when i am thinking of dropping a show and in that case i am often looking specifically for reviews/comments with spoilers

4. Which do you think are the most common types of spoilers people give?i'm not on the forums much but over on the feeds it is screen caps. 

5. i think it depends on the show. there are some shows where "incest" could be the plot twist and in that case not cool. but then in if someone were to tag certain dramas with Amnesia i don't think it's a big deal. 

6. this community is about sharing our enjoyment of Asian TV and movies.  Spoilers can ruin that enjoyment for some of our fellow MDLers. IMO anything that is not in the synopsis or couldn't be guessed from the synopsis (including the timing of certain events) is a spoiler. it's not hard to  hide or mark them so it's just good manners to do it.  

• Do you dislike them, not mind them or like them? Why?

I don’t like huge spoiler about what is happening with the plot or twist plot. I don't mind minor spoiler, but the problem with spoiler is that everyone have his own tolerance level.  I found out that what I considered minor spoiler is huge for other ones, than it happend to me and I have learnt my lesson, everything that can lead someone to predict the plot is a spoiler.  End of the story! 

• Have you encountered many spoilers in the comment section which aren't properly concealed?

Yes, almost in each k-drama that I have watched I find at least one comment where people answer to use the tag spoiler. 

• Do you read reviews with spoilers on them? Have you read a review that claims there are no spoilers only for you to find many?

I do not read many review but if I do I choose the one without spoiler because I do not know if in the ones with spoiler there will be huge revelation or not. 

• Which do you think are the most common types of spoilers people give?

The most common spoiler is about the happy or sad ending, is full of people who ask and people who answer and I do not get why since tags are made exactly for that! If you want to know more you open the tag, otherwise you dont. 

• What are your thoughts regarding adding spoiler-like tags to a show? Such as: tragic-ending, amnesia, childhood connection, etc. (thanks @Zardua_ for this point).

Very good, because it allow us to decide if want to know or not.  One time I read a comment that allow me to understand that the main lead would have suffered memory loss. In that specific drama, that kind of information allow me to predict the whole plot. 

• Anything else you can think of regarding the topic is welcome!

Moderating screenshot on feeds! One screenshot doesn’t allow you to figure out what is happening but the feeds is used by tons of users! When a famous drama is airing, a lot of people start posting screenshot about that specific drama. It’s like watching frame by frame, not only they ruin your hype for the drama but eventually you will came across to spoiler. 

I think that a guideline about spoiler would be useful.  Thanks for your work! 

heres a screen cap of the spoiler tag interface  (so basically you would check the spoiler box) This is for the Title "Bandage"

1.Do you dislike them, not mind them or like them? Why?

- I like spoilers 99% of the time. They give me motivation to continue watching. 

- Not really. I understand that people sometimes forget to mark their comments as a spoiler, it's happened to me too

- I read reviews with spoilers, because as I said, I don't mind them. And no, gladly, I haven't read that kind of review. But we should be careful though, I know that most watchers do not like spoilers and reading this kind of review would be really annoying for them.

- Idk, spoilers about the real villian? What I mean is, I'm currently watching Voice, and in the comments a person said ''kwon yool is the culprit''  just because they recognised the actor. I didn't mind it, because I already knew, but it's a huge spoiler. And spoilers about the ending, of course.

5. What are your thoughts regarding adding spoiler-like tags to a show? Such as: tragic-ending, amnesia, childhood connection, etc.

- They are more like a warning to me. I don't care about childhood connection, but I hate amnesia in dramas so the amnesia tag helps me lol. I haven't seen a tag 'tragic-ending', I think a 'tragedy' tag is mostly used. It's also a warning though, I don't like when a drama has a tragic ending, but there is not a tragedy tag. (*big spoiler* for example, The Guardians does not have a tragedy tag, I don't know why. I guess the character's death was so ridiculous that the drama doesn't need a tragedy tag lol)

For me, the purpose for watching a drama or a movie is to be entertained, thrilled, surprised!

So spoilers,  especially in the summary or screen shot spoilers, are a big no - they ruin the pleasure and the anticipation.

Yes, quite a few major and minor, mostly for hyped currently airing dramas, but in most cases they are properly covered after a while -and some angry posts requiring it...

I refrain myself from reading reviews before finishing a drama and certainly not the ones with spoilers. Usually, I read reviews for older dramas and only from 'trustworthy' MDLers who put real effort on writing them and/or with whom we have similar tastes.

Plot twists, villains, type of endings (happy-sad-open), expected or unexpected love lines and their details

5. What are your thoughts regarding adding spoiler-like tags to a show? Such as: tragic-ending, amnesia, childhood connection, etc. (thanks @Zardua_ for this point).

If the tags reveal a major plot twist, a concealer should definitely be added. But, in any case, I do believe that lately the number of tags has been significantly increased, sometimes without serving a clear purpose. For example, in "anone" the tags are the following! 

Tags:   Reason For Being,   Orphan,   Stigma,   Disease,   Discrimination

See what I mean? :D

1. Do you dislike them, not mind them or like them? Why? whenever i posted /started any thread for drama recommendation  my only tag line is " i love spoiler so don't hesitate to mention anything regarding suggested drama"  that really help me to choose my taste of choice in dramas. and i always search for spoiler  in feed , review ,thread, description and google search etc  but for the concern of particular users who mind it i really appreciate if it written in specific manner which can't hurt drama lovers sentiments
    • some times it doesn't matter whether you went any drama after reading spoiler or without spoiler content  what does matter what is your preference  
    • i went through many dramas and i experienced  that i've my taste what spoiler/without spoiler content said that cant match drama description when you see it 
    • for example people said great things about a show ML FL have chemistry but i can't find any chemistry on them 
    • people reviews are based on their upbringing place environment  culture tradition fashion sense liking disliking favoritism  etc.
    • whatever a drama story if it not executed well there is no worth 
  2. Have you encountered many spoilers in the comment section which aren't properly concealed? most of the . its neutral outcome where some are concealed  and other are opened
  3. Do you read reviews with spoilers on them? Have you read a review that claims there are no spoilers only for you to find many?  ok first i want to mention that i'm the one who review with spoiler most of the time .  and i read always spoiled review and specially search for them cause i'm not that sophisticated and literate in context to understand a kind of critics reviews  i also read without spoiler but that have not make more impact on me as comparison  to spoiled review  most of the review which are without spoiler have written like they are giving there graduation final exam and i'm not an examiner . without spoiler i really appreciate those reviews which are short precise accurate   
  4. Which do you think are the most common types of spoilers people give? it cant be say cause people have given all kind of spoiler what i met is they mention the story, climax and most of the time people ask for whether ML FL end together, whether they love each other or may they have chemistry, story has tragic or happy ending
  5. What are your thoughts regarding adding spoiler-like tags to a show? Such as: tragic-ending, amnesia, childhood connection, etc. (thanks @Zardua_ for this point). i really don't mind it but we should respect other people thoughts as well so i can suggest here there must be only one drop-down box in drama details which have all spoiler tag and theme summoned if anyone want to see it should be available .
  6. Anything else you can think of regarding the topic is welcome! i'm not against of this topic as well as not in completely support of it if people wants to remove completely  spoiler content. there must be a solution which met all people requirement 
    1. user should respect other people feeling if writing any spoiler they should write in specific way. 
    2.  i know moderators are really doing great in their busy schedule if possible they can also contribute in this if they found spoiler without spoiler tag they can tagged that things with spoiler 
    3. each have different thought process may be what we think are spoiler for other it is not for them. like :-
      1.   what dress they wearing
      2.  real kisses/fake kisses
      3.  sharing one moment of whole story how ML gaze FL  etc

Thank you for sharing your views on the subject, @cityhunter, @Poia, @Minarii, @Penel & @DramaLover!

cityhunter:
i see spoilers on the feeds a few times a week

This has been mentioned here before and it's a great point to include in the article since I don't check the feed all that much and, as such, haven't experienced this myself. What would you say would be a good solution or middle ground for this? Would adding the screenshots without the dialogue suffice? Or would it be best to hide them with a spoiler tag if it relates to "big moments" or "romantic gestures" within the series?

cityhunter:
i only read reviews when i am thinking of dropping a show

This is interesting. I hadn't considered people would read reviews to check whether to drop a show or continue watching! 

cityhunter:
there are some shows where "incest" could be the plot twist and in that case not cool. but then in if someone were to tag certain dramas with Amnesia i don't think it's a big deal.

So would you say a good "rule of thumb" would be to tag openly anything that's "generic" but tag as a spoiler something that's more unique? Or does it depend on how big or small a role each "tag" has? Like, say, in a show like Devilish Joy amnesia is a given since it's a big part of the synopsis and premise of the show. Whereas in shows where amnesia happens down the road (like in Fated to Love You) for a few episodes, then that should constitute as a spoiler. Would you agree?

cityhunter:
it's not hard to hide or mark them so it's just good manners to do it.

Yes. Hopefully, people will understand that the intention of the article is not to crucify or go on a crusade against people who like spoilers or write them. But rather, I want to write it as a "food for thought" piece to encourage people to mind others by simply using the spoiler function (either in posts, feeds, reviews or tags) more often.

Minarii:
I understand that people sometimes forget to mark their comments as a spoiler, it's happened to me too

If you don't mind my asking, whenever you forget to mark something as a spoiler, which is the most common response you get? Are people polite about asking you to mark it as a spoiler, or resentful? I think it's something worth also discussing in the article if the response is resentful. Since, as you mentioned, often times it's a simple mistake from the poster.

Minarii:
'tragedy' tag is mostly used.

Do you personally consider a tag such as this one a spoiler?

penel:
So spoilers, especially in the summary or screen shot spoilers,

Could you provide an example of spoilers in the summary of a drama (I haven't seen anyone, so that would be helpful)? As to the screen-shot spoilers, someone offered as a solution to keep the screenshots but edit the dialogue out, would that help? Or would you rather they were marked as a spoiler if they show "prominent scenes" or "big gestures" of the show? 

penel:
unexpected love lines

This one is a good example. I've seen some regarding this point which had slipped my mind.

penel:
Tags: Reason For Being, Orphan, Stigma, Disease, Discrimination

Hahaha this is the first time I've seen "Reason for being". Does the tag come with a description of what it's supposed to mean? Unfortunately, I have no idea what a good potential solution to the tag problem could be. Although some of these mean nothing to me, I have no idea if whoever added them deemed them important in his/her viewing of the drama. I'd consider "Orphan" a spoiler tag the leads aren't immediately introduced as such. 

DrAmAlOvEr:
for example people said great things about a show ML FL have chemistry but i can't find any chemistry on them

Yes, unfortunately, reviews and recommendations are very subjective. So some might see chemistry when others do not. The only solution is to find someone with similar tastes as you and get recommendations from them.

DrAmAlOvEr:
ok first i want to mention that i'm the one who review with spoiler most of the time .

And this is a valid choice since many people don't mind spoilers. If you don't mind me asking, do you tag/mark your reviews as containing spoilers or warn people ahead of time? Have you received any hostile responses to your reviews?

DrAmAlOvEr:
so i can suggest here there must be only one drop-down box in drama details which have all spoiler tag and theme summoned if anyone want to see it should be available .

It could certainly be a good solution to have the tags only visible if you want them to be. Perhaps that's something MDL could implement.

DrAmAlOvEr:
i'm not against of this topic as well as not in completely support of it if people wants to remove completely spoiler content.

Don't worry. This article has no intention to crucify or crusade against people who like to read and/or write spoilers. Instead, with this article, I hope to make people aware of the many different views regarding spoilers. As well as encourage and offer ways to hide/mark their spoilers properly.

OldAnimeLady:

heres a screen cap of the spoiler tag interface  (so basically you would check the spoiler box) This is for the Title "Bandage"

Yeah, I did notice this one. But I have no idea what it looks like when you mark a tag as a spoiler. Does the drama page display the tag or is it hidden but used for filtering? I haven't found a drama with a tag marked as a spoiler, so I haven't been able to check. And I don't want to experiment myself and add a spoiler tag that doesn't belong to a drama just to check how it works, lol. 

If you do happen upon an example that already has a tag marked as a spoiler, please let me know!

3GGG:

Yeah, I did notice this one. But I have no idea what it looks like when you mark a tag as a spoiler. Does the drama page display the tag or is it hidden but used for filtering? I haven't found a drama with a tag marked as a spoiler, so I haven't been able to check. And I don't want to experiment myself and add a spoiler tag that doesn't belong to a drama just to check how it works, lol. 

If you do happen upon an example that already has a tag marked as a spoiler, please let me know! 

let me find a hidden example Warning this may contain a spoiler 

https://postimg.cc/xNVqrqzg (not posting picture cant spoiler cover it)

https://mydramalist.com/15460-5-ji-kara-9-ji-made is what the page looks like

@3GGG   it won't let me quote you (post is too long) 

in the feeds you have the ability to tag your entire post (including pics) as a spoiler but then you can also tag the show .

like this     https://mydramalist.com/profile/ReSuzuki/feeds/4vkBpqcd    any spoilers are hidden and tagged and the show is clearly named so people can choose to look or not. 

the issue is people either don't bother or think it's not a spoiler.  again IMO if it's not in the synopsis/ trailer and is shown in a pic, the dialogue or just a comment it's a spoiler.   for example a pic from a rom com set in modern day Seoul w/ no dialogue of two people sitting at a cafe isnt a spoiler b/c we all know that in that type of drama eventually that's going to happen.  the SAME pic from a back to joseon time travel drama that shows a character from the past sitting in the same cafe IS a spoiler if them coming to the future wasnt mentioned in the synopsis/ trailer. 

as to tags for a show i think your rule of thumb is a good one as long as the information in the tag in provided in the synopsis/trailer. if you have a drama where the answer to the mystery is "plot twist  a main character is an alien!"  but that info is not in the trailer or synopsis then  then tags like "alien" or "interspeices romance" should be marked as spoilers, or users should consider using alternative tags like  "sci fi" , "alternate reality" or "mysterious male/female lead"

OldAnimeLady:

let me find a hidden example Warning this may contain a spoiler 

https://postimg.cc/xNVqrqzg (not posting picture cant spoiler cover it)

https://mydramalist.com/15460-5-ji-kara-9-ji-made is what the page looks like

Wonderful! Thank you so much! It seems I was correct in how it works then. Where the tag just doesn't show on the page, but it does come up when you search for it through tags (I checked and it did come up!). So encouraging people to use this function more might be a solution to avoid spoiling things for people without intending to!

cityhunter:
@3GGG it won't let me quote you (post is too long)

I just learned the other day that if you select the text in my post, a "quote" button comes out! It's very useful! Unfortunately, it seems to only work when you're on the computer (not on your cellphone).

cityhunter:
for example a pic from a rom com set in modern day Seoul w/ no dialogue of two people sitting at a cafe isnt a spoiler b/c we all know that in that type of drama eventually that's going to happen. the SAME pic from a back to joseon time travel drama that shows a character from the past sitting in the same cafe IS a spoiler if them coming to the future wasnt mentioned in the synopsis/ trailer.

This is actually a great and easy to understand example. Do you mind if I end up quoting this part for the article (of course, with due credit ;))? 

cityhunter:
if you have a drama where the answer to the mystery is "plot twist a main character is an alien!" but that info is not in the trailer or synopsis then then tags like "alien" or "interspeices romance" should be marked as spoilers, or users should consider using alternative tags like "sci fi" , "alternate reality" or "mysterious male/female lead"

Another great example. Although I'm thinking that "alternate reality" might be considered a spoiler for some. But "sci-fi" or even just "mystery" could be vague enough to not give anything away, while useful enough if people are looking for that in the drama.