Hello,

I'm a person who loves data and lists so I have combined those into a little mini project of sorts.

Seeing as the Hana Yori Dango / Boys Over Flowers story is one of THE most popular stories in dramaland, having been recreated countless times in many different countries, I wanted to try and see what is the average # of those versions a drama fan has seen, whether loving the drama versions translates into checking out the source material, which versions are the most well known and which versions are the most well-liked.

For this purpose, I have created this list: https://www.listchallenges.com/how-many-of-the-boys-over-flowers-remakes-have 

If you have seen even one version of this story, I would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to mark on this list the versions you have seen. 

After doing so, if you could dedicate a few seconds extra to mark your MOST FAVORITE and LEAST FAVORITE adaptations in the "vote" tab, I would really appreciate that too. 

Thanks in advance for anyone helping, and feel free to expand on why you like/hate the Hana Yori Dango story, how you came to learn of it, etc, in the comments here. I would love to expend the discussion! 

Nitzan

I didn’t realize there were so many other versions of this story! I’ve only seen 2: BOF and Meteor Garden 2018. Now I want to find some of the others on your survey. :)

Chess, try Kissasian.sh

I thought I was only missing one lol never realized there were versions of this in the 90's. I have to say that 2001-2002 Taiwanese version and the korean version is my favorite. 

Out of all the versions I have watched I think I like the 2018 version the least. Though I love their casting <3 

BUT I think and I know for sure that the american adaptation of this will take the  crown as my least favorite even though I havens really watched it per se. I saw the casting way back 2013ish and it's really not my cup of tea.

Just found this, as a reference for the different adaptations :)

https://hanadan.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_adaptations_of_Boys_Over_Flowers

I've seen:

• Hana Yori Dango (2005)
  • Hana Yori Dango 2 (2007)
  • Hana Yori Dango Final (2008)
  • Boys Over Flowers (2009)
  • Meteor Garden (2018) - dropped at ep. 42

The Japanese drama adaptation was my first and I absolutely loved it at the time; it was what got me into Asian dramas in the first place. I remember the hype and excitement when the Korean version was released and I binged it as soon as it finished airing. I started the new 2018 Chinese adaptation but dropped it at episode 42. However, this was because I no longer find romantic comedy dramas interesting and watched it purely for the nostalgia. 

The Boys Over Flowers storyline is a cliche but I'll admit that the story is THE OG of romantic comedy/school drama cliches. Even though I'm no longer interested in these types of dramas, and even though the storyline makes me cringe to some degree now, I still acknowledge its popularity and will watch other adaptations just for nostalgia.

I marked on the list which versions I seen and marked which I liked more ..:)

I have watched the taiwanese version Meteor Garden both seasons and the japanese version Hana Yori Dango both seasons + the final movie.
I do like MG first season, its more mature and the kisses are great  :) Dao Ming Si and Chan Cai have great chemistry! Also you can see how deeply, passionately in love Dao Ming Si is with Shan Cai. I can’t however rate it higher than 7.5/10 since its problematic, bullying is NEVER ok and Dao Ming Si could be too violent, even with Shan Cai.

I hate the second season of MG, in my opinion it should never have been made. It was boring, Dao Ming Si and Shan Cai had not many moments together and after Dao Ming Si lost his memories he fell in love with another woman and had way more moments with her than with Shan Cai.

As for Hana Yori Dango, I like it more than the taiwanese version despite it being more childish... but Makino and Domyouji’s chemistry is so great, there are even rumors (idk if it true) that the actor Matsumoto Jun (Domyouji) and actress Inoue Mao (Makino) has been dating each other for many years now.
Ofc HYD is problematic too because of the bullying but Domyouji was not violent with Makino , for exemple he never tried to force himself on her (which Dao Ming Si did). Also, s2 is great too, Domyouji lost his memory but it was never for long time and he never fell in love with another woman ..Also, HYD has the most perfect ending out of all versions , ’cuz in the end Domyouji and Makino got married and she even got pregnant :) I rate HYD 8/10.

I haven’t watched the chinese MG 2018 and korean Boys Over Flowers version simply because of the clips I seen on youtube of them has not impressed me, also after reading comments/ reviews of them has made me even less interested lol. Nor have i read the manga or watched the anime ...

It has Been such a long time ago so i don’t really remember how i came across MG/HYD...

ABsolute favorite is the manga, and then the Anime which I have read and watched many times.

For adaptations in order of favorites:

1.  Japanese 2005-2008 version.    They just really GOT IT.  even though it was a bit silly, it was sooo good.  And so sweet too.  This Domyouji TRULY loved Makino, love when he says: "You are the type to get fat when you are older right?   I will still love (now matter what) "

and them getting stranded on the island part.... so good.

2. Boys over Flowers - This is the "steamiest" version I think that gets all the feels.

3. The first season and version of Meteor Garden (I actually watched it Raw when it came out cause I was such a fan of the series).

4. The Live Action movie - it was kind of ridiculous but fun to watch

5. The new Meteor Garden reboot - Perhaps I have watched too many versions of this, so just FF and only watched the parts with the main leads.  Was not a fan of the acting and dropped it.

100000000, American Version Boys before friends: I tried to watch this and it was painful... i dont think i even finished an episode

Looking forward to see how the Thai Version is as I am studying Thai.  Hope they dont mess it up like Secret Garden, with repetitive music, taking out key scenes, and mis-casting, and instead do a good job like in Thai version of Full House.