Surveying my frig I found a head of cabbage that needed to be used.  I usually shred it and stir-fry or steam it.   I watched Oh My Ghostess a couple of weeks ago and decided to try Cabbage Porridge.  I took from a couple of CP recipes I found on-line.  Not bad. I actually liked the CP better than the drama.  :)

Schmetterling:

Surveying my frig I found a head of cabbage that needed to be used.  I usually shred it and stir-fry or steam it.   I watched Oh My Ghostess a couple of weeks ago and decided to try Cabbage Porridge.  I took from a couple of CP recipes I found on-line.  Not bad. I actually liked the CP better than the drama.  :)

I do a lot with cabbage myself. Do u have a link to a cabbage porridge recipe u liked best?  I am trying this next for Garlic rubbed roasted cabbage steaks. Recipe Simple but different. 

JoanneSmith:

I do a lot with cabbage myself. Do u have a link to a cabbage porridge recipe u liked best?  I am trying this next for Garlic rubbed roasted cabbage steaks. Recipe Simple but different. 

I ended up taking from several.  I had a head of Napa cabbage which I chopped fine, one onion, about an inch of ginger-grated, red pepper flakes, white rice,  salt, chicken bouillon, and water.   I added garbanzo beans at the request of my husband.  

Due to some recent dental work that went awry I haven’t been able to open my mouth fully for two weeks. :/ This soft porridge was easy to eat. :)

DH doesn’t like garlic (and somehow I’ve stayed with him all these years but it has been a challenge living without cooking with garlic) but cabbage steaks sound intriguing. Thanks for the link! :)

Schmetterling:

I ended up taking from several.  I had a head of Napa cabbage which I chopped fine, one onion, about an inch of ginger-grated, red pepper flakes, white rice,  salt, chicken bouillon, and water.   I added garbanzo beans at the request of my husband.  

Due to some recent dental work that went awry I haven’t been able to open my mouth fully for two weeks. :/ This soft porridge was easy to eat. :)

DH doesn’t like garlic (and somehow I’ve stayed with him all these years but it has been a challenge living without cooking with garlic) but cabbage steaks sound intriguing. Thanks for the link! :)

Thx!  Wow, living without garlic.....!

Sauteed mushrooms and spinach, spicy black beans, roasted potatoes.  Basic, quick, easy-peasy. :)

Pea and potato soup combo

{because on mind} what foods to have around (and not!) after dental work? extraction of tooth roots from failed broken root canal (no pain :) ) and a deep clean (gums pocketing :( ) to schedule yet. to add to stress also multiple calls to make re deep clean at community college if ride will be covered. stressed out and feeling like my head built wrong

moody jen off to make simple chicken, brown rice, coconut milk, curry powder concoction

eightocci:

{because on mind} what foods to have around (and not!) after dental work? extraction of tooth roots from failed broken root canal (no pain :) ) and a deep clean (gums pocketing :( ) to schedule yet. to add to stress also multiple calls to make re deep clean at community college if ride will be covered. stressed out and feeling like my head built wrong

moody jen off to make simple chicken, brown rice, coconut milk, curry powder concoction

Dental surgery response to @eightocci-might want to avoid the spoilered area.  :)

I had a similar procedure about three weeks ago.  My problem is that they can't properly numb my mouth because of some weird way my body responds to the numbing agents so they ended up doing the root canal on a live tooth until they could directly squirt the numbing agent down into the tooth.   It sounds as painful as it was.  To top it off because they hit me with a lot of shots my body reacts by swelling and not allowing me to open my jaw very wide for weeks.  And of course in the end after the failed root canal they had to extract the tooth and do a bone transplant.  Waiting for everything to take hold so that I can get an implant in a few months.  What started out as something simple turned into a real cluster cluck. I can't take the normal meds they would give to calm my mouth and jaw down so this time we just did high doses of motrin and muscle relaxers.  Been a dippy, painful, pain in the patootey few weeks. Until last night, and it was too early, there have been a lot of soft soups in my diet. Good luck with your recovery!

It's not for dinner but if you need a post-workout snack this one is healthy-ish.

FRUIT BARS

1 Cup plain almonds

1 Cup dates

1 C dried fruit (I've used cherries, apricots, blueberries, and often a mix)

Process everything in a food processor until the ingredients form a smooth ball.  I have a decent blender but only an adequate food processor so I usually end up scooping out half the mixture after the ingredients have mixed together and then let the processor beat them into submission in batches.  I also double the recipe which adds to my processor's workload.

Once smooth---Roll the mixture out between sheets of wax paper, cling film or parchment paper.  You can refrigerate to let the mixture firm up and then cut into desired pieces and shapes.  I go ahead and cut it at the room temp stage because it's easier for me.  The fruit/nut mix will be sticky.  It becomes less so when it cools.

Store in the frig.  I store mine in individual bags in the freezer.  These bars will keep up to three months in the freezer. I take a frozen one out and throw it in my gym bag and it's perfect by the time I'm done working out.

These bars are a nice post-workout snack when breakfast or lunch is still a ways out.  Because of the dates they are also high in potassium which I seem to always fall short on in my diet.

I've tried different fruits and nuts.  Blueberries will make the bars slightly grittier due to their seeds.  Pecans made the bars oilier, but tasty. Similar results with cashews.  I made the mistake of using pistachios and apricots in one batch.  You do not want that color of fruit bar.  It's unappealing.  ;)

so hard to find un-sulfited dried fruit. have had these as larabars (dates main lead). maybe i can get a blender? agree almond fits well with cherries and apricots. cashews added larabars 'slippery-er'. blueberry grit i think from the tough skin. maybe put the awkwardly colored mix out for birdies?

eightocci:

so hard to find un-sulfited dried fruit. have had these as larabars (dates main lead). maybe i can get a blender? agree almond fits well with cherries and apricots. cashews added larabars 'slippery-er'. blueberry grit i think from the tough skin. maybe put the awkwardly colored mix out for birdies?

Yeah, these are homemade Larabars. I found the recipe on-line and as always keep tinkering with it.   I don't know if the blender would work.  This mix taxes my processor and it has a decent size bowl.  

I've made date spread/paste with the blender and processor.  The recipe works best if you soak the dates overnight in some water.  Drain the next day but keep the water and place the dates into the blender or processor with enough of the water (some people use tea or orange juice) and blend until smooth, adding water as you need.  You can also add vanilla, or cinnamon, or orange peel when mixing.  It's a tasty paste that you can add as a sweetener to other foods.  My husband likes to use it in his smoothies that have veggies instead of using sugar to sweeten or on toast when he wants a treat. It's also good in oatmeal.   It can be dangerous to have around because it is sweet and smooth, but not calorie free. Like the bars it needs to be kept in the frig (up to a week) or the freezer (up to three months)  :)

Schmetterling:

FRUIT BARS

1 Cup plain almonds

1 Cup dates

1 C dried fruit (I've used cherries, apricots, blueberries, and often a mix)

This sounds wonderful!! 

I wonder if I can use dried figs instead of dates, since we rarely buy any, and if we do it's the natural ones (just dried), so I'd be too lazy to unseed them, lol. Or are figs in the general dried fruit category? 

Oh, and would raisins and cranberries be too sugary maybe, if used?

I'm thinking of an almonds-walnuts mixture, and maybe alter the ratio a little, to more seeds/nuts & less dried fruits, to be less sweet. It would be an awesome afternoon/branch snack!! (I hope I won't break my multi again..) 

In other news, today I had a really great meal, of very tasty done mustard & mild spices chicken leg fillets in the oven, and delicious peas stewed in tomato sauce, along with other veggies, like leeks and bell peppers! 

Kudos to my mother's cooking (me & my mother have a sort of healthy rivalry in the kitchen, so we won't make the same food in the same way, but this time she heeded my advice that chicken fillet can be cooked perfectly fine in the oven, if careful, in a lidded pan)!!!

@Estelll

<<Oh, and would raisins and cranberries be too sugary maybe, if used?>>

One of those days when MDL won't let me quote.  I have tried raisins as the other dried fruit and they were good.  Sweet, but good.  :)  I have wondered about figs but haven't tried them.  I have done a more 1/2 nuts, 1/2 fruit trial and it's good, just a different texture.   I like using cherries and apricots together as the other dried fruit because they give the bars a tart kick.  Cranberries would probably give it a tart balance as well. 

Almonds were the definitive winner in my trials as far as texture goes and they have a mild flavor, but I'm curious to hear about walnuts.  Haven't tried them yet.  :)  I liked the flavor of the pecan mixture better, but wasn't as crazy about the texture and they are a lot more expensive.  

<<In other news, today I had a really great meal, of very tasty done mustard & mild spices chicken leg fillets in the oven, and delicious peas stewed in tomato sauce, along with other veggies, like leeks and bell peppers! >>

My mouth is literally watering over the thought of this meal.  Pavlov would be proud of me! ;) This sounds delicious!  Must be fun to have good natured kitchen battles with your mom. Enjoy your cooking rivalry.  :)

Don't know if u've ever seen this lady's products (depends where you live) but I've bought organic pure date syrup from her.  Good stuff. Use mostly in baking.   https://ilovedatelady.com/products/date-syrup

Had some tandoori chicken with rice.