Today I made myself a little random noodle soup for dinner, with chicken, wild mushrooms, fresh ginger slices, and some basil leaves

After my obsession with Chinese dramas lately, I have to make for myself (myself only, because my family is not into it) at least something resembling Chinese food once in a while, though I can't help lending a Mediterranean flavour in (almost) everything I cook (hence the basil - I know, I know, I should probably use something with a milder flavour instead, like parsley or coriander, or something with more depth, like spinach, but I was in a hurry, and the flowerpot was in front of me, lol).

In this case, the chicken was leftover from the one we grilled for lunch, the noodles were the quick cooking variety, and I used just a slice of store bought chicken stock - but surprise! it was delicious!! The broth was clear, aromatic, and fresh, the ingredients really complemented each other, and it was both very appetizing and very pleasing to the eye! And relatively healthy and fat free. 

Maybe the big secret was the wild mushrooms (my father brings them home, cleans them, slices them, grills them a little with just salt, pepper, oregano and thyme, that we then store for later use - do not try this at home, unless you really know what you're doing!). As for spices and aromatics, just a dash of soya sauce, some drops of Tabasco, and that's it - the basil leaves, the delicious fresh & spicy ginger, and the previously marinated chicken do the job.

Estelll:
random

System is not letting me quote today. This soup sound good. People serve basil with Pho so why not. :) I have a friend who forages for wild mushrooms  and they do make things better than store bought ones. Thank you for sharing!

Some of the best meals are ones we put together from whatever we have at hand. :)

mengosteen:

Today was the-leftover-wonton soup day. 

It's one of my favourite dishes, you should try them if you never ate them. There's no need to follow any recipe, just use your leftover food as filling. Wonton wrappings are a little tricky - I always make them by hand but they are a pain the the a55 to make, so you might want to buy ready to use wrappers at your Asian Grocery Store. 

I have used wonton wrappers to make dumplings with before and even ravioli.  I’m sure somewhere someone is clutching their pearls.   You are my hero for making them from scratch!

My funny Thanksgiving story.  My husband and son love pumpkin pie so every year I make each of them their own pie. Years ago my son talked me into making fresh pumpkin pies. The kind where I have to butcher and gut the pumpkins and then bake them, scrape the meat out and purée. Basically no trouble, right?  ;)

This year I couldn’t find any sugar pumpkins so I decided to make the pies from canned pumpkin. When my son is home he is my sous chef and helps me out.  

The day before Thanksgiving I was running my last minute errands when a friend called who had found out she had a serious condition that needs surgery. I ran over to her house and forgot about the last items on my list. It was late at night before we started work on the pies. 

I made the pie crusts and started work on the filling. I barely had enough eggs for the pies since I’d not made it to the grocery store. After dumping the pumpkin into the mixer I noticed the pumpkin in the bottom of the can  was a dark brown and that didn’t bode well so I trashed that mixture. I had one small can of pumpkin I found in the pantry and decided to go ahead and at least make one pie.  My son brings the eggs out of the frig and as he opens the carton up to find just enough to make the pie one of them flips out onto the floor and of course Humpty Dumpty bit the big one.  To make matters worse I had put the pumpkin purée into a glass measuring cup and then somehow managed to knock it off the counter. 

Surrounded by raw egg, shattered glass and goopy pumpkin we erupted into laughter.   

“You know, Mom, I think the store is open in the morning. I’ll run down and buy a couple of pies. They aren’t as good as yours (good son!), but we like them too. “ And so he did  and all was well.

As the old saying goes, “Imagine the glass as already broken.” Easier to do when it didn’t explode with pumpkin. Ick. I’ve learned whether it be holidays, weddings, or funerals, something will go wrong. Just roll with it and try not to step on the broken glass or in the raw egg. :)

@Schmetterling at least no one was hurt! I am here laughing at your story because it could’ve happened to me. Kind of reminds me of A Christmas Story where the dogs ate the entire turkey. LOL 

ChessWidow:

@Schmetterling at least no one was hurt! I am here laughing at your story because it could’ve happened to me. Kind of reminds me of A Christmas Story where the dogs ate the entire turkey. LOL 

We just watched that as my husband put up the tree!  My favorite line will always be-he looks like a deranged Easter bunny  :D

Today I decided to make a Madras curry with rice and for dessert I had one of the small lemon cheesecakes for my family members earlier in the week.

(thought I would post after the very appreciated plug)

garnetseeds:

Today I decided to make a Madras curry with rice and for dessert I had one of the small lemon cheesecakes for my family members earlier in the week.

(thought I would post after the very appreciated plug)

Thank you! :)

It looks like you have quite the cooking drama list to dig into.  Have fun!

Schmetterling:

Thank you! :)

It looks like you have quite the cooking drama list to dig into.  Have fun!

I know its going to be a lovely to try them out! Maybe I'll get some dinner inspiration in the process

garnetseeds:

I know its going to be a lovely to try them out! Maybe I'll get some dinner inspiration in the process

After Wok of Love I was inspired to make Spicy Black Bean Noodles. Don’t watch them hungry. :)

@Schmetterling  the 'a christmas story' house is just 30 minutes east of me :)

eightocci:

@Schmetterling  the 'a christmas story' house is just 30 minutes east of me :)

Hopefully it has a new heater in it because that last one was the stuff made of legends.  You must live near the Land of Cleve. :)

currently picking apart raspberry 'brick'. i buy two little plastic bins (6 ounces) when on special twofer pricing too good to pass up. rinse well then into freezer

today (well technically yesterday. now 1am-ish) leftovers of butternut squash noodled, brown rice, butternut squash baby food pouch to add moisture, ginger and chicken breast

i eat inexpensively and not often. almost always have in house: brown rice (instant-ish), cumin, garlic, ginger, frozen burger 'pucks', canned chicken breast, baby food pouches - butternut squash, pea, sweet potato for sauces

might sound odd but two pouches equal a cup. add to cup of brown rice ... done

probably grilling down some burger 'pucks' with garlic and cumin and brown rice. might add lentils left in fridge. kind of like chili i guess? for tuesday

hard boiled 6 eggs promptly ate 4 then wondered on my headache duh

am i an odd one for liking them when yolk still warm?

eightocci:

hard boiled 6 eggs promptly ate 4 then wondered on my headache duh

am i an odd one for liking them when yolk still warm?

Hard boiled eggs are not that bad for you (as long as you don't overdo it on the quantity), on the contrary, they're pure protein! Together with some salad, topped with virgin olive oil and some balsamic vinegar, and rustic whole grain bread, they are a bliss!! Even better if they're free range eggs. 

As for liking them more when the yolk is still worm... who wouldn't? :)