Schmetterling:
Do you fix something that is traditional or supposed to bring good luck on New Year's Day?

My family doesn't normally cook for New Year's Day/Eve. More often than not we tend to have take out or just a regular meal depending on how lazy we all are feeling. This year was take out. I had Doner meat, chips (fries for the Americans), with a salad and a really disgusting small green pepper. It's strange I didn't like the pepper as I like peppers.

I had rice and fish curry with coconut milk for dinner.I grew up near sea eating lots of  fish and coconut based food and so for me this is comfort food. 

Today, as I usually do when I have leftover spaghetti, I made a quick carbonara out of it for my dinner. By "quick carbonara" I mean beating an egg, mixing it with a little milk, nutmeg, and 2-3 sage leafs, and a spoonful of grated cheese, and adding it to the skillet after heating up the leftover spaghetti with whatever sauce available/left (I've made a New Year Resolution to lessen as much as possible the use of microwave for heating-up food, and carbanara-ing my leftover spaghetti worked great with that!). 

In this case, there was a also a hint of pork shank meat left, so that could count as a replacement for bacon (since we barely ever buy or eat deli meats/processed meats anymore in my family). 

I forwent the garlic, to make it lighter - but not really, I was actually in a hurry & hungry! :D

Tonight I had chicken stuffed with Swiss cheese, baby spinach, and mushrooms and wild rice.

DH was working late so I made an omelet with provolone, mushrooms, and spinach. And then back to my drama! :)

Schmetterling:

DH was working late so I made an omelet with provolone, mushrooms, and spinach. And then back to my drama! :)

That sounds sooo good! A good simple omelette is always a treat.

Cauliflower-Potato-Leek soup for us.....

I made a recipe I saw on The Cravings S2-super simple. 

Slice up mushrooms and sauté in sesame oil (I thinned mine a little with light olive oil). Add chicken granules ( I used chicken bouillon powder) and a little oyster sauce.  Salt to taste.

Add to rice that has been cooking but still has liquid in it. She laid them across the top. I did the same but later incorporated.  The seasonings increased the umami flavor of the mushrooms. 

I’ve added chopped mushrooms, green onions and and bell peppers to brown rice before so it this was a safe choice on a Sunday night. :)

Served it with roasted cauliflower and carrots and Texican style black beans. 

leftovers (made too much due to ingredients sizes oopsie) brown rice, chicken, coconut milk and pesto. did not taste as expected. lost pesto saltliness because of creaminess of coconut milk. smells lovely

Roast chicken salad with apples, dates, dried cherries, roasted pecans, blue cheese, & beets. 

Dressing: sour cream&mayo,honey, a squirt of balsamic and a big pinch of cumin.  <Odd combo, but it works!  

Heard about this thread from member JoanneSmith, thanks, I finally made it. I recognize some names here, which is great.

Read through the posts and I'll have fun here. I love everything about food from talking about it, meal planning, shopping for ingredients, food prep, organizing my frig, cooking and baking, plating and serving, and best of all eating and watching my family and friends enjoy what I've made for them.

So, today I just finished making a chicken stew called Koreshte Loobia Sabz. The link is a basic recipe, but I add and subtract my own ingredients per family preferences.

I used chicken, no onion, garlic, potatoes, tomato puree, pink lentils, green beans, salt/pepper, turmeric, and cumin, and lastly Limoo Omani

Also made pretty yellow rice, which is a staple here. I use turmeric for coloring.

I always make double the amount I need for what I call intentional leftovers. Usually lasts for 2 days here in case I don't feel up to cooking.

LilyS:
leftovers

Welcome!!! Thank you for sharing with us and the recipes!  :)

At my house we do intentional leftovers as well. Either in the frig or freezer for dinners or lunches later. Sometimes I heat  them up as is or repurpose them. When my son lived at home he ate leftovers for breakfast because he wasn’t crazy about regular bfast foods. 

technically breakfast is break fast. eating something after sleeping. no longer fasting because you were asleep. i say any foods can come into play. besides if you can eat conventional breakfast type foods for dinner why can it not be the reverse anyway?

signed jen the eating rebel? ;p

eightocci:

technically breakfast is break fast. eating something after sleeping. no longer fasting because you were asleep. i say any foods can come into play. besides if you can eat conventional breakfast type foods for dinner why can it not be the reverse anyway?

signed jen the eating rebel? ;p

Husband and son love brinner-breakfast for dinner. :)

my odd concoction today - beef, brown rice, corn, sweet potato+apple+corn puree. smelled like hot cider while cooking. brain cannot understand smelling apples but tasting beef. might have been better with chicken. i usually pair sweet potato with beef. need groceries soon!

debating within myself to re-research oral allergy syndrome, histamine intolerance, urinary incontinence and irritable bowel syndrome foods to avoid. surely too much to avoid it all when just the first two are hard enough. hungry jen but manage to keep weight stable. plan for now avoid gluten, soy and most of the time dairy