Tonight I had Japchae with Bulgogi Beef

This little drama special is almost a dramatic infomercial. There are six 10 minute episodes. Each episode features a recipe.  Might be fun to try some of the recipes. :) Two seasons are on Netflix (USA)

The Cravings

https://mydramalist.com/14156-the-cravings

somewhat within that vein i suggest 'street food' at netflix (a n series)

https://www.netflix.com/title/80244996 

a documentary series showing a variety of specialties across asia. interesting to meet the 'famous' people making them as well

Thank you Schmetterling and eightocci!! I added these on my Netflix watchlist. Though I feel kinda bad watching shows about kinds of food that I'll probably never have a chance to try in my life! :(

Estelll:

Thank you Schmetterling and eightocci!! I added these on my Netflix watchlist. Though I feel kinda bad watching shows about kinds of food that I'll probably never have a chance to try in my life! :(

The FL in The Cravings demonstrates how to make the recipe from that episode.   I'm going to try and make at least one in the new year.  It's challenging when you don't know how something is supposed to taste.  I made spicy black bean noodles and it was fun getting at least an idea of what they taste like.  I see  that dish in Kdramas all the time.  That's one thing about Kdramas, they will make you hungry.  Nearly every episode of the dramas I've been watching people are either cooking or eating!

It's fun sharing food dramas and recipes with MDL friends!

another one that pops to mind. taiwanese

https://mydramalist.com/20310-q-series-what-she-put-on-the-table 

https://www.netflix.com/title/80189209 

specifically about a woman who beomes a tv chef demonstrating how to make things. with a side of class separation. i also liked the period clothing (50s)

in other news. plan to mix unsweetened coconut milk, pesto, brown rice and maybe chicken. nervous currently because unsure how much rice i have. might need to eat other food i have around because of this - *unenthusiastic yay* gluten free fish sticks and fritos. earlier was nomming on cashews dad paid for during random costco trip that somehow fell on xmas eve. 2.5 lb/1.13kg counts as a present right?

{apologies for my chattiness ... sleep deprived from waking up over and over due to high winds}

eightocci:
another

I added What She Put on the Table to my list.  Thanks for the rec!  :)

High winds can be scary.  I've lived through 100 mph winds twice.  60-70 every storm season.  Wishing you a safe night!

New Year's Day Question

Do you fix something that is traditional or supposed to bring good luck on New Year's Day?

Where I'm from black-eyed peas are supposed to bring luck.  And greens.  I like greens, but hate black-eyed peas.  My mom used to force me to eat a couple every year for whatever protection they could provide.  Now I make a 15 bean soup with a few of those dreaded peas in it and poke down a couple.  I used to work with a lovely lady from Mexico.  Her family always ate 12 grapes on New Year's.  I and my taste buds embraced her tradition.  :)

At midnight we each have a white tile that we write down a word we want to incorporate into our lives for that year. We put our tile where we can see it all year and reflect on what we want to add or subtract from our lives.    If it's been a difficult year we will write down things we want to let go of on a slip of paper and burn them out in the grill.  

How do you celebrate?

Wishing you lots of delicious food and great joy for 2020!

Schmetterling:

The FL in The Cravings demonstrates how to make the recipe from that episode.   I'm going to try and make at least one in the new year.  It's challenging when you don't know how something is supposed to taste.  I made spicy black bean noodles and it was fun getting at least an idea of what they taste like.  I see  that dish in Kdramas all the time.  That's one thing about Kdramas, they will make you hungry.  Nearly every episode of the dramas I've been watching people are either cooking or eating!

It's fun sharing food dramas and recipes with MDL friends!

It's not only because of not knowing how they're supposed to taste like, it's because I wouldn't have or be able to find most of the ingredients to make them :/ I mean I haven't even tasted Kimchi for example, and not place here to do so (although in this case it may be possible to make it?), even as my mouth is watering every time someone eats that stuff on dramas! :/

Estelll:
although

I’ve seen small jars of kimchi in the Refrigerated produce section before but not lately. Will have to look around. Easier to find kimchi around here than chestnuts. ;)

I’ve thought about ordering sweet potato noodles on-line to try and make Japchae.  We have a couple of stores that have a limited supply of pastes like black bean and red chili and a small variety of Asian sauces and noodles.  I’m not brave enough to make kimchi.  I’m afraid I’d end up poisoning myself by not fermenting it properly.  

There is a Korean restaurant within driving distance I’m trying to talk my husband into going to with me. He likes bland so it’s an uphill battle. We have several Vietnamese restaurants locally. Yum!

in my case mom taught english as a second language (esl) class so got to know recipes from families

nothing really comes to mind for new years. junk food and sparkling cider to shake up and open outside. oh egg rolls. others in family liked shrimps. on my own so should start my own traditions

i live relatively close by cleveland clinic with people from all over the world so you can find most anything you might imagine at local groceries

Schmetterling:

New Year's Day Question

Do you fix something that is traditional or supposed to bring good luck on New Year's Day?

Where I'm from black-eyed peas are supposed to bring luck.  And greens.  I like greens, but hate black-eyed peas.  My mom used to force me to eat a couple every year for whatever protection they could provide.  Now I make a 15 bean soup with a few of those dreaded peas in it and poke down a couple.  I used to work with a lovely lady from Mexico.  Her family always ate 12 grapes on New Year's.  I and my taste buds embraced her tradition.  :)

At midnight we each have a white tile that we write down a word we want to incorporate into our lives for that year. We put our tile where we can see it all year and reflect on what we want to add or subtract from our lives.    If it's been a difficult year we will write down things we want to let go of on a slip of paper and burn them out in the grill.  

How do you celebrate?

Wishing you lots of delicious food and great joy for 2020!

I was always told the same thing about greens and black-eyed peas, but I don’t think we ever made them for New Years. My family doesn’t have any New Year’s Day traditions, but choosing a word for the year seems interesting.

SkytheSnail:
choosing

The word is my intention I set for the new year in place of resolutions.  It has been less stressful and more fruitful than resolutions for me. :)

I live in U.S. and there isn't anything specifically that we eat for good luck on New Year's Eve ( that I know of). Wine is always on the menu though lol. Tonight we are having roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn. Last new year it was snowing, so we went out at midnight, banged on pots and pans and yelled " Happy New Year!" Then we gathered up snow in the pots and made snow ice cream. 

My father was from the southern US, so my mother would make greens on New Years Eve. She was from the northeastern US but I don’t remember her making anything special. My late husband’s family used to insist on having pickled herring, but I didn’t like it and they would make me choke down a piece every year. LOL I haven’t had it in over 20 years and don’t think it really helped then as I have been blessed even after he passed away. :)