I really hate cooking so I'm probably not the best person to be posting on here. To top it off, I like to pair very random foods together.  For example, today I had one of my favorite food pairings for dinner:

• Ramen noodles with baked beans and weenies (aka hotdogs)

The hotdogs are chopped up and mixed in the beans. The chicken ramen broth is almost drained out and then the noodles and remaining broth are placed on the same exact plate as the beans and weenies. 

Anybody adventurous enough to try this combo? If you like it, I have plenty more suggestions! Haha! :P

CombustibleFireKitty:

I really hate cooking so I'm probably not the best person to be posting on here. To top it off, I like to pair very random foods together.  For example, today I had one of my favorite food pairings for dinner:

• Ramen noodles with baked beans and weenies (aka hotdogs)

The hotdogs are chopped up and mixed in the beans. The chicken ramen broth is almost drained out and then the noodles and remaining broth are placed on the same exact plate as the beans and weenies. 

Anybody adventurous enough to try this combo? If you like it, I have plenty more suggestions! Haha! :P

We had the worst cafeteria in college.  A quick filling meal when what the cooks offered was inedible was ramen with ranch style beans.  Close to what you had.  Not fancy cooking but it could be done in a hotpot. :)

ok ladies (and gentlemen?) got chickpea penne and red lentil penne to try

first flavor combo ginger + apple & carrot puree + carrot apple mango puree. likely with chicken after beef with apple previously flopped for me

which is the better match?

another option cheap taco packet seasoning. probably with beef but might just make with brown rice instead to hold flavor

which is the better match?

pretty sure garlic and cumin would go with chickpea

accidentally bought more fruity purees (= baby food pouches) so not sauce options oopsie

It's Saturday so for me that means what's left that needs to be used up. We had our first snow today, just a skiff, but it's cold and that means I want soup.  : )

SATURDAY SOUP

1 Butternut Squash

Several Yukon Gold potatoes

1 large sweet onion

3 stalks of celery

Fresh Sage 

Fresh Parsley

1 Can of Chickpeas

2 cans of chicken broth 

I pulled out the old slow cooker and turned it on. I poured some light olive in a skillet and sautéed the chopped onion and celery then dumped them in the pot.  After butchering the squash without losing a hand I chopped the squash into spoon size pieces, did the same to the potatoes and then sautéed them all in the same skillet that I had used for the onion and celery, adding some salt, pepper, paprika, and ground coriander seeds to add flavor and then threw it all into the pot.   

I always heat my liquids in the skillet so that everything that goes into the slow cooker is at least warm. I scraped up the skillet fond with a spatula as the broth heated and left all that in the liquid for flavor.   After adding the hot broth I heated some water in the skillet and added a little cornstarch to thicken the broth a bit.  I drained the chickpeas and added them to the cooker.  I tossed in some fresh sage leaves, dried thyme, a bay leaf,  red pepper flakes and whatever else looked good.  

Several hours later I chopped some fresh parsley and put that into the soup and saved some for garnish. We ate it with crusty bread and oh my goodness it hit the spot.  Simple and yummy. :)

ginger + apple & carrot puree + carrot apple mango puree with chicken and chickpea penne. hmm not all that impressive but edible

It's the weekend so, time to experiment with soup----

Amarilla Soup

Amarilla (yellow) beans, carrots, yellow bell pepper, yellow summer squash, celery, onion, canned tomatoes with green chiles, a few chopped stalks of frozen asparagus, a few kernels of corn to keep the yellow theme, wild rice, saffron, various herbs and spices. Served topped with sliced green onions and parsley.  Would have been better with cilantro and maybe a wedge of lime, but I worked with what I had.  

As always, it's a brand new soup day.  There are times I wish I made soup the way my mom did-the same way every time.  My soups are like snowflakes, no two are exactly alike.  :)

Cooked apples with cinnamon for dessert.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Have a great week beautiful people!  Let us know---What's for dinner?

Wow everything here sounds delicious. Its making my mouth water :D I had my favourite homemade chicken briyani for dinner! Its a rice dish made with chicken, ginger, garlic and a whole bunch of spices. I highly recommend you try it if you haven't had it before. I think it can be found at most Indian restaurants or you can take the plunge and try to make it yourself! 

@rooj75 only am familiar with by frozen entree . who would think caramelized onions, yogurt and dark chicken would taste right together? spicy but not the runny nose/breathe fire sort more like your lips feel tingly. someday i should try to find at a restaurant

rooj75:

Wow everything here sounds delicious. Its making my mouth water :D I had my favourite homemade chicken briyani for dinner! Its a rice dish made with chicken, ginger, garlic and a whole bunch of spices. I highly recommend you try it if you haven't had it before. I think it can be found at most Indian restaurants or you can take the plunge and try to make it yourself! 

I agree with @eightocci that sounds super yummy!  I had to look the recipe up because I wasn't familiar with it and now my mouth is watering.  :)

@eightocci I've definitely had the frozen entree version for a quick meal. I think they're still very tasty but unfortunately don't do the dish it's full justice. 

Today I had some baked fish and clams in a lemon, garlic and white wine sauce. :)

a new filling concoction - beef, red lentil penne, riced sweet potato (seems that it dissolved??), garlic, cumin and coconut milk

Spinach rice with feta cheese & almond milk cream, and plain omelette with just a spoonful of grated cheese & spices, served with the rice, along with some sprinkled rocket leaves. 

For salad - rocket leaves, lettuce, et all, along with filleted mandarins, walnuts, and acorn cherry tomatoes, with citrus vinaigrette. 

Great & healthy dinner for me!! :) (But I just realized, I should have added grated fresh ginger to the salad since I have it...)

Lima bean, pea and lentil soup made with a honey-baked ham bone (has lots of ham on it still).  

Brewing now and smells yummy.....

Estelll:

Spinach rice with feta cheese & almond milk cream, and plain omelette with just a spoonful of grated cheese & spices, served with the rice, along with some sprinkled rocket leaves. 

For salad - rocket leaves, lettuce, et all, along with filleted mandarins, walnuts, and acorn cherry tomatoes, with citrus vinaigrette. 

Great & healthy dinner for me!! :) (But I just realized, I should have added grated fresh ginger to the salad since I have it...)

if u make your own citrus vinaigrette, can you share your ingredients/recipe for that?

JoanneSmith:

if u make your own citrus vinaigrette, can you share your ingredients/recipe for that?

I had some store bought citrus balsamic creme, which was the base for it, along with mandarin juice, apple cider vinegar with honey, and olive oil. We have plenty of our own mandarins and tangerines right now (it's their season), and olive oil is always our very own, home grown and made one. (I live in a Mediterranean island)

I used what I had available today, but it would be healthier (and arguably better) if made from scratch with balsamic vinegar (anything with "di modena" added to it is usually better in my experience, and I'm not even Italian, lol), any combination of citrus fruits juice, freshly squeezed (like orange juice, mandarin juice, and just a little lemon juice), high-quality honey (like thyme honey), and virgin olive oil. (Ready made "balsamic creme" usually has a very high sugar content, along with other nasties!)

The ratio of each ingredient really depends on personal preference in the range of sour to sweet. I like my salads to be  just in the verge of sweetness, not sour, but not too sweet, so I would use:

1 tbs of honey

2 tbs of orange (or tangerine/mandarin) juice

1 tbs of balsamic vinegar

1 tbs of lemon juice

4 tbs of virgin olive oil

salt

ginger powder

sweet paprika powder

You mix everything and beat very well until it takes a cream-like consistency. Mix half of it with the salad, put in the fringe for at least 15 minutes, then just before serving, sprinkle the rest of the vinaigrette on top, along with some extra olive oil -or vinegar if needed. 

You can adjust everything depending on the salad and the target taste. For example, in a very colourful salad, I'd recommend you use white balsamic vinegar, or apple cider vinegar, instead of the black regular balsamic, to not waste and dull the beautiful colours.