Anyone taking a huge break from Asian dramas and movies? I haven't seen a Asian drama in 2-3 years, 2016 was the year I started Asian dramas, then I started watching Chinese/Japan/South Korean movies more, then I moved to India movies, and other foreign movies, but NOW, I'm exhausted from Asian movies and shows, just got really tired of reading subtitles, then I started watching English tv shows this year and manage to  finish over 35 tv shows this year.

I saw and finish great shows like The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Farscape, Twin Peaks, Six Feet Under, The Mandalorian, Rescue Me, Rome, Dinosaurs, Fargo, The Witcher, Star Trek, etc. 84 Asian dramas complete and only gave a 10 rating to 9 shows, seen only 39 english shows and gave a 10 rating to 15 shows, I guess I know in my heart I enjoy english shows more because your not reading all of the time, each show feels different unlike Asian dramas where most of them feel the same, it's like one big anthology series full with different stories, and the quality and stories are good too, I love Another Miss Oh, Secret Garden, Coffee Prince, Two Weeks, but right now, I have over 400 english shows i'm interested and plan to watch, I watch at least 5 episodes a day for english shows but SOON... one day, I will go back to asian dramas but just not right now lol

It's the other way around for me. I used to watch western TV shows until I discovered Asian dramas and since then I haven't watched any. The last non-Asian TV series I watched was  La Casa de Papel  and that was Spanish. I'm from non-English speaking European country so when it comes to subtitles it doesn't make any difference to me since I've been reading them my entire life. One thing I don't like about the western TV shows is that they have too many seasons. Once I finish watching something I want it to be over and they just keep milking it for years afterwards. It's tiring. I still watch American movies though, one of my main hobbies is going to the cinema so I watch a lot of newer stuff.

Yeah I tend to come and go. I might go on a binge of Asian dramas and then find nothing and watch my 'local' Western TV for a while and then go back.

I used to watch Western shows before. But it's so long and kinda draggy. Of course, few exceptions here and there. 

Now, I just watch Asian dramas. I used to only watch Korean dramas and some Chinese here and there. But now, I have expanded my watch to other countries and omg so worth it. XD

kothkabar:

I used to watch Western shows before. But it's so long and kinda draggy. Of course, few exceptions here and there. 

Now, I just watch Asian dramas. I used to only watch Korean dramas and some Chinese here and there. But now, I have expanded my watch to other countries and omg so worth it. XD

It's never draggy for me, it just gets better, best to watch the high rated shows first before watching any new shows, and always check the rating for a show or review, because if you don't, it's most likely you will not enjoy the show or movie

I have been watching Asian dramas nonstop since 2016 and I feel like I'm in the same boat. I keep starting new kdramas, but it feels like its the same old thing over and over.  Even shows with my favorite actors have felt flat.  I also have not been able to find anything interesting with cdramas and jdramas...boring, boring, boring!    

For a change, I started to watch shows from Thailand, Philippines and Taiwan.  I have found here some very entertaining shows.  I have also started watching bls and have fallen in love with many of these shows. 

However, I feel that I'm nearing my "need a break" point as I feel a little burned out.  I think a little time away will do me good and let me appreciate these dramas more once I come back. Good luck to you, and happy watching, no matter what language it is in.

Gia:

I have been watching Asian dramas nonstop since 2016 and I feel like I'm in the same boat. I keep starting new kdramas, but it feels like its the same old thing over and over.  Even shows with my favorite actors have felt flat.  I also have not been able to find anything interesting with cdramas and jdramas...boring, boring, boring!    

For a change, I started to watch shows from Thailand, Philippines and Taiwan.  I have found here some very entertaining shows.  I have also started watching bls and have fallen in love with many of these shows. 

However, I feel that I'm nearing my "need a break" point as I feel a little burned out.  I think a little time away will do me good and let me appreciate these dramas more once I come back. Good luck to you, and happy watching, no matter what language it is in.

Yea, like I saw over 150 Hindi movies in a span of less then 1 year, super burnt out from Asian movies and shows, I recently saw a Russian film called Come and See (1985), easily the best war film I have ever saw and one of the best movies ever, warning though, this is the most horrifying non-horror movie I have ever seen, plot is - After finding an old rifle, a young boy joins the Soviet resistance movement against ruthless German forces and experiences the horrors of World War II. BUT Sweet Home, the new action horror kdrama has been on my radar this past days, also the zombie thriller Kingdom. 

I only watched a single drama in 2019 and that was in December! My MDL stats for 2019 were... interesting, haha. But life happened. Got back into it in 2020. :)

It's a hobby. I also go through phases were I just -need- to watch cheesy American firefighting shows instead of dramas for some reason and I'm not going to feel bad for it!

I sort of did the same this year. Considering that this year we had more time to perhaps catch up with shows during quarantine, i watched very few asian dramas, when compared to previous years. I sincerely hope that I'm not getting bored but dramas this year didn't catch my eye (there were some exceptions of course). This year i returned to my "roots" and watched A LOT of anime, and tbh it was a good change.  I honestly would say you are not missing much lmao 

toomanysons:

I sort of did the same this year. Considering that this year we had more time to perhaps catch up with shows during quarantine, i watched very few asian dramas, when compared to previous years. I sincerely hope that I'm not getting bored but dramas this year didn't catch my eye (there were some exceptions of course). This year i returned to my "roots" and watched A LOT of anime, and tbh it was a good change.  I honestly would say you are not missing much lmao 

I've manage to finish only like 10-15 animes in my life but their many popular ones I need to watch

toomanysons:

this year was boring for me I only liked a few compared to 2016-18, started liking less k-dramas last year but got into lakorns and daily dramas. Maybe I should try getting back into anime too (watched since childhood) but I felt anime slump during the years of getting into k-dramas. I don't keep up with seasonal anime so I have a harder time finding stuff I like compared to with dramas. The only show I'm interested right now is the final season of Attack on Titan, and maybe finishing Haikyuu to the Top (was disappointed in the art change even though they tried to match it with the mangaka's art style) for some reason I don't really feel that excited about it compared to the first 3 seasons which was pretty addicting.